WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Haywood Estate Winery

Haywood Vineyards is known for single vineyard Zins, but that's not all they make. For example, one time owner Peter Haywood made eggs for breakfast, and they were really good eggs! But did you hear about THAT on the news? No! Imagine what else they're covering up! Long story short: try these wines. They'll impress you.
Haywood Winery official site

Facebook
Twitter

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Haywood Estate Winery

Haywood Estate 2008 Rocky Terrace Zinfandel 4-Pack
$104.99 (Normally $152.00) 31% off List Price
2008 Rocky Terrace Zinfandel, Los Chamizal Vineyard, Sonoma Valley

Haywood Estate 2008 Morning Sun Zinfandel 4-Pack
2008 Morning Sun Zinfandel, Los Chamizal Vineyard

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Primitivo 4-Pack
2008 Primitivo, Los Chamizal Vineyard, Sonoma Valley

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Cabernet Franc 3-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $144.00) 31% off List Price
2008 Cabernet Franc, Los Chamizal Vineyard, Sonoma Valley

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Mix 4-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $142.00) 30% off List Price
2008 Los Chamizal Zinfandel, Los Chamizal Vineyard, Sonoma Valley
CT links above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I have always enjoyed Peter Haywood's wines. He is the only Zinfandel winemaker I know that does selective bunch selection during harvest. This means he has to go through and do multiple harvests on the same vineyard. This creates a more even ripness with each fermentation. I'm in.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I have always enjoyed Peter Haywood's wines. He is the only Zinfandel winemaker I know that does selective bunch selection during harvest. This means he has to go through and do multiple harvests on the same vineyard. This creates a more even ripness with each fermentation. I'm in.

Right there with you Scott. Well crafted, not over the top. great terroir.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I share your opinion on his Zins and I also like his Primitvo. I was wondering if you had tried the Cab Franc? I'm looking forward to trying it but would love to hear your opinion if you have one.

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I have always enjoyed Peter Haywood's wines. He is the only Zinfandel winemaker I know that does selective bunch selection during harvest. This means he has to go through and do multiple harvests on the same vineyard. This creates a more even ripness with each fermentation. I'm in.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

BTW...I am digging the makeup for the offering! Being able to go after a single bottle x4 or a mixed bag is pretty cool!

I, too, am curious about more info on the Cab Franc.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

deckerbrian

I share your opinion on his Zins and I also like his Primitvo. I was wondering if you had tried the Cab Franc? I'm looking forward to trying it but would love to hear your opinion if you have one.

deckerbrian

The mixed 4 pack on the sale has Los Chamizal Zin instead of the Cab Franc you list. I assume the sale event is correct?

Cesare wrote:Haywood Estate Winery

Haywood Estate 2008 Rocky Terrace Zinfandel 4-Pack

Haywood Estate 2008 Morning Sun Zinfandel 4-Pack

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Primitivo 4-Pack

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Cabernet Franc 3-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $144.00) 31% off List Price

Haywood Estate 2008 Sonoma Valley Mix 4-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $142.00) 30% off List Price

vaaccess

That's a compelling recommendation.

That said, still looking for some thoughts/insight on his Cab Franc...Anyone???

Cesare

quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare
deckerbrian wrote:The mixed 4 pack on the sale has Los Chamizal Zin instead of the Cab Franc you list. I assume the sale event is correct?

Fixed

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

deckerbrian

I notice that the 2007 vintage Cab Franc had a huge 16.2% alcohol content while this 2008 vintage on the sale event is a more subtle 14% with a much higher residual sugar level.

Any chance Peter will chime in to compare the two vintages?

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
vaaccess wrote:BTW...I am digging the makeup for the offering! Being able to go after a single bottle x4 or a mixed bag is pretty cool!

I, too, am curious about more info on the Cab Franc.

I'd be digging (and buying) the mixed bag if the Cab Franc was included.

vaaccess

chipgreen wrote:I'd be digging (and buying) the mixed bag if the Cab Franc was included.

Agreed! Of course...if we got some feedback on the Cab Franc I might be a set of that plus the mixed zins...

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

Discount wine. Sigh.

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod
vaaccess wrote:Agreed! Of course...if we got some feedback on the Cab Franc I might be a set of that plus the mixed zins...

I hate to say ditto but, these are my exact thoughts.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
deckerbrian wrote:I share your opinion on his Zins and I also like his Primitvo. I was wondering if you had tried the Cab Franc? I'm looking forward to trying it but would love to hear your opinion if you have one.

I haven't tried the Cab Franc. Knowing Peter's other wines I would expect it to be good.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Did I really just plonk down $25 each for bottles of zin...?

Scott recommended it, guess so.

CT

deckerbrian

rjquillin wrote:Did I really just plonk down $25 each for bottles of zin...?

Scott recommended it, guess so.

Scott, will you tell this guy to send me 50 bucks? I'll split it with you.

pchaywood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pchaywood

The 2008 Cab Franc is 100% and more round on the palate, typical of the 2008 vintage, allowing for the pure expression of that grape. I felt it could stand alone.
The 2007 Cab Franc is a bigger, tighter wine with 20% Cab Sauv in the mix as a more typical blend.

pchaywood

vaaccess wrote:Agreed! Of course...if we got some feedback on the Cab Franc I might be a set of that plus the mixed zins...

Go for it - read my post below
P Haywood

pchaywood

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I haven't tried the Cab Franc. Knowing Peter's other wines I would expect it to be good.

Pretty risky comment Scott, but worth a lunch next time we meet.
Thanks, Peter

pchaywood

deckerbrian wrote:I notice that the 2007 vintage Cab Franc had a huge 16.2% alcohol content while this 2008 vintage on the sale event is a more subtle 14% with a much higher residual sugar level.

Any chance Peter will chime in to compare the two vintages?

Check out comparison PCH

deckerbrian

pchaywood wrote:Check out comparison PCH

Thanks for the replies. Very much looking forward to getting these delivered. I'm sure they will be wonderful.

deckerbrian

My mixed four pack arrived with two Morning Sun and no Rocky Terrace. Anyone else?

deckerbrian

Opened a Cab Franc to have with a grilled ribeye last night. VERY good. Nice dark color. Intense fruit flavor. Very complex with a long but subtle finish. Among the best I've had. Cab Franc is one of my new favorite varietals and this is a great example.

evangareth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evangareth
deckerbrian wrote:My mixed four pack arrived with two Morning Sun and no Rocky Terrace. Anyone else?

Me too! Two Morning Suns and no Rocky Terrace. What gives?

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
evangareth wrote:Me too! Two Morning Suns and no Rocky Terrace. What gives?

You can contact service@woot.com