WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hunt Country Finger Lakes New York

If you're the sort of person who hates trying new things, step off, luddite. But if you're open minded, excited by adventure, and might enjoy a nice ice wine, or a moscato, or some crazy cream sherry… step the freak in, motherfathers! Also, please, no cursing. This is a family-run winery, after all.
Hunt Country Winery official site


Twitter
Facebook

Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Hunt Country Finger Lakes New York

Hunt Country Mixed 6-Pack
$84.99 (Normally $120.94) 30% off List Price
2007 Vignoles Late Harvest 375ml
2007 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine 375ml
NV Cream Sherry 500ml
2010 Valvin Muscat 750ml
2010 Pinot Gris 750ml
NV Dolce di Moscato 750ml

Hunt Country Mixed 3-Pack
$57.99 (Normally $76.97) 25% off List Price
2007 Vignoles Late Harvest 375ml
2007 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine 375ml
NV Cream Sherry 500ml

Hunt Country Mixed 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $114.94) 30% off List Price
2007 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine 375ml
2 2010 Valvin Muscat 750ml
NV Dolce di Moscato 750ml
2 2010 Pinot Gris 750ml

Hunt Country Mixed White Case
$122.99 (Normally $175.88) 30% off List Price
4 2010 Valvin Muscat 750ml
4 NV Dolce di Moscato 750ml
4 2010 Pinot Gris 750ml
CT links above

Previous offer:
3/11/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

burns72


quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

I bought the vignoles and ice wine when it was offered "a long time ago". The ice wine was wonderful, not as syrupy as other ice wine.

The vignoles was not my favorite. I have had a few others from the Finger Lakes. While it was still tasty, it was not as good as the ice wine. Not sure if that is a fair comparison.

.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Question for the winemaker: Is there a difference between Vidal and Vidal Blanc grapes? If not, why are you specifying Vidal Blanc on your wines? Thanks!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Last Fall, we had a Buffalo/WNY Woot gathering in the Finger Lakes and we stopped in at Hunt Country. We had a very nice pre-arranged tour of the facilities and a very nice tasting opportunity in the tasting room. Typically, I prefer reds, but whites and dessert wines do have a place in my life. I really like the wines from Hunt Country. They craft their wines with care. Be bold. Give 'em a try!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
burns72 wrote:I bought the vignoles and ice wine when it was offered "a long time ago". The ice wine was wonderful, not as syrupy as other ice wine.

The vignoles was not my favorite. I have had a few others from the Finger Lakes. While it was still tasty, it was not as good as the ice wine. Not sure if that is a fair comparison.

.



The Late Harvest Vignoles is not nearly as sweet as the Ice Wine and also retails for half the price. I'm a big fan of both wines and Hunt Country in general.

I just bought a mixed case from them a couple weeks ago but in for more to support their presence on woot!

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm a case club member at their winery, and I like their wine a lot. I'm not sure if they ever stop here to check the forums, but I will put bahwm's question on their facebook site.

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Here is the answer: It is the same grape. Saying Vidal Blanc is like giving the first and last name of a person. Thanks for your interst!!!

fuzzy103


quality posts: 3 Private Messages fuzzy103

I just moved to Iowa from New York. Sad to see they don't ship here. I will miss their wines.

marion14505


quality posts: 1 Private Messages marion14505

I live in the Finger Lakes.
I drink this wine.
I love my life.
[EOL]

dah7m


quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

Awesome to see some NY wines here. I'd like to throw a request for some Finger Lakes rieslings into the magic request hat.

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
bahwm wrote:Question for the winemaker: Is there a difference between Vidal and Vidal Blanc grapes? If not, why are you specifying Vidal Blanc on your wines? Thanks!



Hi Bahwm!
Vidal and Vidal Blanc are the same grape. Vidal Blanc is the official name. The grape was developed in France in the 1930s by Jean Louis Vidal, and is a favorite of genuine icewine producers like ourselves, because of its cold weather hardiness and ability to produce great natural acidity and sweetness.
-- Jim Alsina, HCV

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
bahwm wrote:Last Fall, we had a Buffalo/WNY Woot gathering in the Finger Lakes and we stopped in at Hunt Country. We had a very nice pre-arranged tour of the facilities and a very nice tasting opportunity in the tasting room. Typically, I prefer reds, but whites and dessert wines do have a place in my life. I really like the wines from Hunt Country. They craft their wines with care. Be bold. Give 'em a try!



Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the winery tour (I'm one of the guides..!)

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
chipgreen wrote:The Late Harvest Vignoles is not nearly as sweet as the Ice Wine and also retails for half the price. I'm a big fan of both wines and Hunt Country in general.

I just bought a mixed case from them a couple weeks ago but in for more to support their presence on woot!



Dear ChipGreen,
Thanks so much ... your support is very much appreciated!!
-- Jim Alsina, HCV

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
fuzzy103 wrote:I just moved to Iowa from New York. Sad to see they don't ship here. I will miss their wines.



I'm so sorry about that! We have petitioned the State of Iowa to waive the $5,000 bond requirement, which would cost us $500/year, too much for a little winery like us, but so far no luck. We do ship to some of your neighbors -- Illinois, Minnesota and Missouri -- might you have a Woot-friend or -relative there who could Woot for you? ;-)

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
marion14505 wrote:I live in the Finger Lakes.
I drink this wine.
I love my life.
[EOL]



Great!!
:-)

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
dah7m wrote:Awesome to see some NY wines here. I'd like to throw a request for some Finger Lakes rieslings into the magic request hat.



Dear Dah7m,
Thanks! I wish we had enough Riesling to be able to offer some to Wooters. It's on my wish list, too!
--- Jim Alsina, HCV

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
jimhcv wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the winery tour (I'm one of the guides..!)


Hey Jim! Thanks for answering my questions and popping on the boards. I believe that you were our guide that beautiful day in October! Good to see you around. Maybe we'll get a chance to see you again before the snows fly!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

paperthinwalls


quality posts: 1 Private Messages paperthinwalls

Did someone say Finger Lakes?

Is this it? what am i supposed to do here?

Bione


quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

One of the "mixed six packs" only features five wines in the description and the photo only shows five bottles.

I know Cesare says two, but how many bottles of the Valvin Muscat are in the pack that includes the following?

1 icewine
X Muscat(s)
1 Dolce di Muscato
2 Pinot Gris

It's the difference between whether I pull the trigger or not...

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
Bione wrote:One of the "mixed six packs" only features five wines in the description and the photo only shows five bottles.

I know Cesare says two, but how many bottles of the Valvin Muscat are in the pack that includes the following?

1 icewine
X Muscat(s)
1 Dolce di Muscato
2 Pinot Gris

It's the difference between whether I pull the trigger or not...



Dear Bione,
Thanks for your note. There are a total of 6 bottles of wine, including 2 bottles of Valvin Muscat. I do hope you pull that trigger ... I think you'll enjoy this Woot!
Best wishes,
Jim Alsina, Hunt Country Vineyards

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
bahwm wrote:Hey Jim! Thanks for answering my questions and popping on the boards. I believe that you were our guide that beautiful day in October! Good to see you around. Maybe we'll get a chance to see you again before the snows fly!



Thanks! Please do stop by the winery this fall!

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
paperthinwalls wrote:Did someone say Finger Lakes?



Yes, we did! The Finger Lakes is a great place to live, a perfect place for a getaway, and one of the best kept secrets in the wine world ... sshhhhhh!

trweber82


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trweber82

So happy to see some NY wine on this site. I always look for it but, hardly ever see it. I have moved away from NY state so this deal was awesome! Thanks

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
jimhcv wrote:Thanks! Please do stop by the winery this fall!



I may be stopping by as well. We have to travel from OH to VT for a wedding in early October and we're thinking about hitting up the Finger Lakes for a couple days on the way back home.

Jim, you sent me a card previously that was good for free tasting and winery tour but I misplaced it.... any chance I could still take advantage of the offer?

Knowing that I have more on the way, I am enjoying a glass of Late Harvest Vignoles right now.

I love this wine, maybe even more than the Ice Wine. It's bursting with fruit - apricots, nectarines, tangerines, peaches, pears, green apples, grapefruit.... with a nice tart acidic bite on the finish.

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

I too have enjoyed Hunt Country offerings before. Never heard of them till another wooter posted on the 'other deals' list. In for some more, although I dislike purchases on Thursdays, foodie or gardener days.

CT

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
trweber82 wrote:So happy to see some NY wine on this site. I always look for it but, hardly ever see it. I have moved away from NY state so this deal was awesome! Thanks



Dear TRWeber32,
Thanks for taking advantage of this Woot!! I hope you enjoy the wines.
-- Jim Alsina, Hunt Country Vineyards

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
chipgreen wrote:I may be stopping by as well. We have to travel from OH to VT for a wedding in early October and we're thinking about hitting up the Finger Lakes for a couple days on the way back home.

Jim, you sent me a card previously that was good for free tasting and winery tour but I misplaced it.... any chance I could still take advantage of the offer?

Knowing that I have more on the way, I am enjoying a glass of Late Harvest Vignoles right now.

I love this wine, maybe even more than the Ice Wine. It's bursting with fruit - apricots, nectarines, tangerines, peaches, pears, green apples, grapefruit.... with a nice tart acidic bite on the finish.



Sure, just send me an email (Jim@HuntWines.com) and I'll re-send the card!

jimhcv


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv
chipgreen wrote:I may be stopping by as well. We have to travel from OH to VT for a wedding in early October and we're thinking about hitting up the Finger Lakes for a couple days on the way back home.

Jim, you sent me a card previously that was good for free tasting and winery tour but I misplaced it.... any chance I could still take advantage of the offer?

Knowing that I have more on the way, I am enjoying a glass of Late Harvest Vignoles right now.

I love this wine, maybe even more than the Ice Wine. It's bursting with fruit - apricots, nectarines, tangerines, peaches, pears, green apples, grapefruit.... with a nice tart acidic bite on the finish.



Great description of the burst of flavors in Late Harvest Vignoles! I'm so glad you like it. We're discussing now whether we'll be able to do another late harvest wine this year. It depends on the amount of botrytis fungus that forms in the early summer (we want more) vs. September/October (we want less)!