MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
pcuccaro wrote:Holy crap, Mark! I know everyone jokes that you don't drink your wine but how much storage do you have? I thought I was bad but I can always tell my husband, "There's this guy on wine.woot who makes me look like a lightweight!"

Thanks for that!

So much that zTimBz (who has a lot as well) and I are looking to move up to a walk-in locker.

But not as much as to need my own wine locker company. Yet.

Edit: Me!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:It is true that there is nothing new here. These are all deals I have passed on before.

I'd LIKE some of the 3 black tie type offers but:

a) Chris of super sonoman is a great guy but I have not had a $50 experience with his wines. I'd probably go in on this cab at $40 (really, a pair for $80)

b) The 2007 Tom eddy cab is one of the best wines I have tried....But they pair it with an unknown 2006. I would easily pay $50 for the 07, even $60 would be no real stretch, but the addition of the 06 reserve makes me hem and haw. I /may/ pick this up. I wish it were $6-10 cheaper.

c) The white cottage was tasty but not $85 tasty.

I guess my problem is that I have a REALLY high standard for $50+ wine and the slope is really steep after that.

You must have left early that Tuesday Labrat tasting on the RPM III Tour. We had the 2006 Tom Eddy Cab then, and it was very good.

Sadly, that was after WW had it up on Woot+.

Edit: Too bad they didn't read your post before they put up the Plus deal pricing!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mother wrote:And it's weaksauce.

Mother, you have a PM

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Or a plus thing? The weekend thing doesn't hold water because it is a cabernet DAY not a weekend or week.

There are a couple cabs that I think are coming up... But I expected a woot-off not a plus deal. We'll see maybe there is something COMPLETELY new in store for us..

Plus deal on Cabs. Good call.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
MarkDaSpark wrote:Cathy would be awesome. However, the vets from the RPM Tour this summer thought RC's cabs were ... "interesting".

I blame peer pressure and end of first day palate fatigue RC's cabs are great.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
redwinefan wrote:I blame peer pressure and end of first day palate fatigue RC's cabs are great.

I think most of us veterans are smarter than this post gives us credit for being. No amount of palate fatigue would account for the fact that the PR guy they stuck us with couldn't answer the simplest question rpm asked, and merely repeated parts of his memorized spiel. I've had some excellent Cabs from Robert Craig in the past, but not that day.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:You must have left early that Tuesday Labrat tasting on the RPM III Tour. We had the 2006 Tom Eddy Cab then, and it was very good.

Sadly, that was after WW had it up on Woot+.

I had that 06 at the tasting (I stayed just for it! That was their standard cab, not this reserve. The 06 standard is a half step down from the 07 based on tasting them at the WCC tasting and the RPM tuesday tasting.

I approve of the 07 in this deal, it's just rather expensive and alongside another somewhat unknown wine. I'm waffling...

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:So much that zTimBz (who has a lot as well) and I are looking to move up to a walk-in locker.

But not as much as to need my own wine locker company. Yet.

Edit: Me!

Okay, how many cases does a walk-in cooler hold? :P

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:I think most of us veterans are smarter than this post gives us credit for being. No amount of palate fatigue would account for the fact that the PR guy they stuck us with couldn't answer the simplest question rpm asked, and merely repeated parts of his memorized spiel. I've had some excellent Cabs from Robert Craig in the past, but not that day.

What a shame. A large group of really experienced wine lovers get thrown a valedictorian who can't further educate said group. And now, we all hear about it, making the credibility of RC dubious...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
tenuki wrote:Okay, how many cases does a walk-in cooler hold? :P

Where he's at.... Anywhere from 100 cases to 1000 cases or more. My 16 case locker pales in comparison.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Itwdswafo wrote:Where he's at.... Anywhere from 100 cases to 1000 cases or more. My 16 case locker pales in comparison.

I'd guess Sparky is at about 1600 bottles. How close am I, Sparky?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
kylemittskus wrote:I'd guess Sparky is at about 1600 bottles. How close am I, Sparky?

I'm guessing he is more at around 3000 bottles especially after the RPM tour.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

I think Sparky should hold a "guess how many bottles in Sparky's Lockers" contest! Winner gets a bottle of Sutter Home White Zin!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
cjsiege wrote:I think Sparky should hold a "guess how many bottles in Sparky's Lockers" contest! Winner gets a bottle of Sutter Home White Zin!

I love this idea :D

I'm just hanging out, really.

cmaldoon

cjsiege wrote:I think Sparky should hold a "guess how many bottles in Sparky's Lockers" contest! Winner gets a bottle of Sutter Home White Zin!

If that's the prize, my guess is 2, and he'll be drinking one tonight.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

I think that's an excellent idea. If I knew how many bottles there actually was. Sadly, I haven't been updating my CT (except for recent RPM Tour purchases) for over a year or more.

However, the move to the new locker will provide an excellent opportunity to re-inventory everything.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:
However, the move to the new locker will provide an excellent opportunity to re-inventory everything.

I'll be right up, with WD/WCC insulated shipping boxes to help reduce your storage and transfer requirements.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

long week at work.. we had monday off due to the "hurricane" that never showed up... They are hiring a new person for the job... So as my son puts it I'm working my ass off for the person who takes the job..... But on the plus side, everyone is sooo happy with the job I am doing.... makes me feel good!!

Keep your fingers crossed.... I call tomorrow night to see if I need to go to federal jury duty on tue.....

I discovered a new Vodka yesterday,. the liquor store was sampling it... I was impressed with how smooth, no burn taste. I bought one for me and gave one as a birthday present.....

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:long week at work.. we had monday off due to the "hurricane" that never showed up... They are hiring a new person for the job... So as my son puts it I'm working my ass off for the person who takes the job..... But on the plus side, everyone is sooo happy with the job I am doing.... makes me feel good!!

Keep your fingers crossed.... I call tomorrow night to see if I need to go to federal jury duty on tue.....

I discovered a new Vodka yesterday,. the liquor store was sampling it... I was impressed with how smooth, no burn taste. I bought one for me and gave one as a birthday present.....

Well, if you show up with the bottle of vodka, you probably won't get selected!

CT

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:Well, if you show up with the bottle of vodka, you probably won't get selected!

hmmmm good point!!!
or they would want me to share!!!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:long week at work.. we had monday off due to the "hurricane" that never showed up... They are hiring a new person for the job... So as my son puts it I'm working my ass off for the person who takes the job..... But on the plus side, everyone is sooo happy with the job I am doing.... makes me feel good!!

Good luck. And what was the vodka?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

Enjoying some Wellington White Port. A half case just arrived. Wonderful. Goes especially well with the Bourbon Goat's Milk caramel Sauce. So glad that I finally got my hands on some more.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Good luck. And what was the vodka?

the name is very interesting:

If I could figure out how to post a picture I would of the label...

Pyccknn (n's are backward)
Ctahoapt
St.Petersburg

Russian Standard

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
mommadeb1 wrote:

Nearly positive that just means "Russian"

Edit: Yeah "Russkiy" means Russian ;)

mommadeb1

mother wrote:Nearly positive that just means "Russian"

Edit: Yeah "Russkiy" means Russian ;)

I just typed what was on the label... will have to have some tomorrow... tonight is Pedroncelli Cab... yummm

redwinefan

ddeuddeg wrote:I think most of us veterans are smarter than this post gives us credit for being. No amount of palate fatigue would account for the fact that the PR guy they stuck us with couldn't answer the simplest question rpm asked, and merely repeated parts of his memorized spiel. I've had some excellent Cabs from Robert Craig in the past, but not that day.

Yes, very true, that comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. The vets are a very discerning bunch, so I'm sort of curious what exactly went down at RC.

It would have been nice if we had more interaction with the winemaker there instead of the tasting room folks, but I figured the vets group should have definitely had someone involved with the winemaking dealing with them.

Speaking of Robert Craig, I picked up a 2007 Mt. Veeder and 2007 Howell Mountain Cab from a local wine shop tonight at similar prices to what he was offering us on the 2009s. They were having a huge sale.

tiger7610

And yes its Russian Standard, supposedly a decent vodka. I havent tried it myself, still trying to find occasion to drink the Cold River Vodka I have. Also the Peace Vodka that Hunt Country winery sells now is also really nice and smooth.

redwinefan

tiger7610 wrote:And yes its Russian Standard, supposedly a decent vodka. I havent tried it myself, still trying to find occasion to drink the Cold River Vodka I have. Also the Peace Vodka that Hunt Country winery sells now is also really nice and smooth.

Russian Standard is decent. It comes in different quality levels so it probably depends on which one you picked up, and they actually do drink it in Russia.

If you ever see the Russian Vodka named Czar's Gold, pick it up. That is great stuff.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:the name is very interesting:

Ctahoapt
St.Petersburg

Russian Standard

Or you could just search for an image.

MarkDaSpark

redwinefan wrote:Yes, very true, that comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. The vets are a very discerning bunch, so I'm sort of curious what exactly went down at RC.

It would have been nice if we had more interaction with the winemaker there instead of the tasting room folks, but I figured the vets group should have definitely had someone involved with the winemaking dealing with them.

Speaking of Robert Craig, I picked up a 2007 Mt. Veeder and 2007 Howell Mountain Cab from a local wine shop tonight at similar prices to what he was offering us on the 2009s. They were having a huge sale.

From what I recall, there is a new winemaker at RC, which may be the difference we remember from the older vintages. I don't remember what year they took over, but the '07's might be good.

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:the name is very interesting:

Ctahoapt
St.Petersburg

Russian Standard

Cyrrillic alphabet. Tiger can translate.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Cyrrillic alphabet. Tiger can translate.

Drinking much this morning?? Since she already chimed in about it.

But then I guess you have to make sure your wine from the RPM Tour shipment made it okay.

cmaldoon

MarkDaSpark wrote:Drinking much this morning?? Since she already chimed in about it.

But then I guess you have to make sure your wine from the RPM Tour shipment made it okay.

You just HAD to have the top 6 threads in the forum didn't you? Diarrhea of the keyboard? :-P

Y'know if you drank a glass each time you posted..... No it would still take years to get through your cellar...

My Cellar

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Drinking much this morning?? Since she already chimed in about it.

Not drinking enough. Coffee that was. Failed to read ahead obviously.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:You just HAD to have the top 6 threads in the forum didn't you? Diarrhea of the keyboard? :-P

Y'know if you drank a glass each time you posted..... No it would still take years to get through your cellar...

Well, it's been a while, you should try it!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
redwinefan wrote:Yes, very true, that comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. The vets are a very discerning bunch, so I'm sort of curious what exactly went down at RC.

I think the worst part was that once the newbies all came into the tasting room to make their purchases, we just lost our guy. Instead of focusing on us and continuing with anything, he just decided it was now time to take care of sales and to ignore our group. You all seemed to have the better deal by being outside in your own private area. We were just in the tasting room, getting the typical tasting room spiel. Nothing special at all.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cmaldoon wrote:You just HAD to have the top 6 threads in the forum didn't you? Diarrhea of the keyboard? :-P

I dunno, the drunker he gets, the more he might post, the more he would drink... Until eventually he passes out, I suppose. But then we can go raid the lockers

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610

cheron98 wrote:I dunno, the drunker he gets, the more he might post, the more he would drink... Until eventually he passes out, I suppose. But then we can go raid the lockers

Lets organize Sparky's lockers raid!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
cheron98 wrote:I think the worst part was that once the newbies all came into the tasting room to make their purchases, we just lost our guy. Instead of focusing on us and continuing with anything, he just decided it was now time to take care of sales and to ignore our group. You all seemed to have the better deal by being outside in your own private area. We were just in the tasting room, getting the typical tasting room spiel. Nothing special at all.

I felt ignored outside too. But at least we had trees to look at.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Or you could just search for an image.

thanks!! thats the one!