2010 Bright Light, Dry California White Wine
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer (2009)
12/5/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Wine Enthusiast seems to like it, gives it an 87:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/blue-nomad-2010-bright-light-white-blend-california

Made from Chardonnay, Albariño and Gewürztraminer, this is a clean white wine, brisk in acidity. It has slightly sweet flavors of tangerines, apricots, peaches and honey. A nice, versatile wine, especially with today’s ethnic fare, ranging from Mexican to Vietnamese.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

Blue Nomad is the same Gun-Bun vanity label that produced Rockus Bockus and Swami Pinot Noir.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Albariño from Monterey County, Chardonnay & Gewürztraminer from Sonoma County.

Sounds like a nice mix!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bsevern wrote:Albariño from Monterey County, Chardonnay & Gewürztraminer from Sonoma County.

Sounds like a nice mix!

Yes, sounds very good. Any wooter reviews from previous offerings?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Previous offer (this vintage):
7/28/12

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless

Admitted wine newb here, so please excuse what may be a silly question...

I tend to drink, almost exclusively, mid-range Rieslings (not too sweet, not too dry, not too tart). The Radog Santa Lucia Highlands from a few weeks back hit the mark perfectly. What are the chances I'd like this one?

Any advice, or other recommendations, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TheEndless

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
TheEndless wrote:Admitted wine newb here, so please excuse what may be a silly question...

I tend to drink, almost exclusively, mid-range Rieslings (not too sweet, not too dry, not too tart). The Radog Santa Lucia Highlands from a few weeks back hit the mark perfectly. What are the chances I'd like this one?

Can't help you with your question as I haven't had this wine. However, I just wanted to tell you, this is NOT a stupid question. Asking for comparisons is a great way to learn and see expand into new wines.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
TheEndless wrote:Admitted wine newb here, so please excuse what may be a silly question...

I'm guessing you won't. It's a blend without any Riesling in it. And it's possibly dry.

But always make an effort to try things that are not in your typical wine wheelhouse sometimes you'll discover you like things that you never would have tried otherwise.

CT

hokienutzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz

I opened one up last night that I got from the last offering. I would equate this as the white Rockus Bockus, meaning a delicious table wine that is meant to be enjoyed by all. It's not a bottle that you think you have to love because of the cost. I got 6 last time; thinking of a case from this offering. For 10 bucks a bottle it's a guilt free purchase. And don't forget to stack on some Scott Harvey magnums with the $5 all-you-can-ship shipping!

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

If this was the Blue Nomad Rockus Bockus, I'd be on this like a cheap suit.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

"Waiter, there's a cork in my wine."

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Yes. But is it corked?

lxzndr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lxzndr

I saw in the past extra labels were included for fun. Will that happen again with this run?

oh... and in for 2

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

There's no avoiding this offer...I'm in.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
lxzndr wrote:I saw in the past extra labels were included for fun. Will that happen again with this run?

oh... and in for 2

It's up to the winery, but I will say that it was a thoughtful nice touch to include. I'd put Bright Light up pretty high on my list of favorite wines, to be honest.

(I just have no room at the moment for more 6 bottles of this super tasty wine alas.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

ssueiro

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ssueiro

Greeting from the Denver airport, this is Susan from Blue Nomad checking in. Poured a bunch of Bright Light last night for a group of friends at a Maceo Parker/Big Sam show, so I can wholeheartedly say this wine pairs well with old school funk, trombones and soul food. The wine is dry, but so round and fruity that It is not at all tart or bitter. I do think anyone who loves a bright riesling will find much to love in Bright Light, even though its a different spectrum.

We will be happy to include labels if the good people of woot are willing to include them .

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis
ssueiro wrote:We will be happy to include labels if the good people of woot are willing to include them .

That would be cool. I could put them with my Rockus Bockus and Swami labels I received last year. Can't wait to try this wine!

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

This wine sounds way too good to pass up. Especially since the white side of the cabinet is looking pretty sparse compared to the red side. Susan's description pushed me over the edge, just need to decide on how many we want .

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
sdwindansea wrote:This wine sounds way too good to pass up. Especially since the white side of the cabinet is looking pretty sparse compared to the red side. Susan's description pushed me over the edge, just need to decide on how many we want .

Three. ;)

(Two for you, one to distribute to your friends to share the love.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ssueiro wrote:Greeting from the Denver airport, this is Susan from Blue Nomad checking in. Poured a bunch of Bright Light last night for a group of friends at a Maceo Parker/Big Sam show, so I can wholeheartedly say this wine pairs well with old school funk, trombones and soul food. The wine is dry, but so round and fruity that It is not at all tart or bitter. I do think anyone who loves a bright riesling will find much to love in Bright Light, even though its a different spectrum.

We will be happy to include labels if the good people of woot are willing to include them .

we will.

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

Let people know what area you are in and you may find someone who wants to split so that you don't end up with 6 bottles of wine that you may not enjoy. This wine is pretty inexpensive and from a reputable winemakre so it isn't such a huge risk, but some of the other offers might be outside your reach for a full order but within the realm if you split it. Kyle, Cortot and others do this frequently to keep from being overloaded.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy
Winedavid39 wrote:we will.

Bravo.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

It's always nice to hear from Sue. I got my shipment from last month's woot!off (sadly, no extra label, but I do have one from a past purchase). As mentioned above, this is a great everyday white. Not to dry, not too sweet. Crisp with a nice finish. It goes great with game day snacks which is why I was soooo happy to see it back again. ++1 to those asking for the Rockus Bockus and Swami to make a reappearance. You can't go wrong with Blue Nomad.
Cheers!

tilandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilandra
kylemittskus wrote:Asking for comparisons is a great way to learn and see expand into new wines.

In this spirit....

If I'm a newb that likes Yellowtail Riesling, but doesn't know how tart, dry, or fruity it is (because I haven't tried much else) how does this compare to the Yellowtail? I realize this doesn't have any riesling grapes in it, but does the varietal make that much difference in flavor to someone like myself?

ssueiro

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ssueiro

Thanks cynthlee! Hope you are in again and will get it this time, but if not, dm me your addr and i will send you labels, sorry about that!

kylemittskus

tilandra wrote:In this spirit....

If I'm a newb that likes Yellowtail Riesling, but doesn't know how tart, dry, or fruity it is (because I haven't tried much else) how does this compare to the Yellowtail? I realize this doesn't have any riesling grapes in it, but does the varietal make that much difference in flavor to someone like myself?

Compared to YT, the quality of this wine will be much better, but you may not like it. YT will be much sweeter than this. This will likely be far more tart and acidic. Not a bad thing, but this is a very different wine.

cynthylee

ssueiro wrote:Thanks cynthlee! Hope you are in again and will get it this time, but if not, dm me your addr and i will send you labels, sorry about that!

Hi Sue--how kind of you, but it is a long football season and we do a lot of snacking, so I better stock up while I can! Got an order coming my way. Had to... my labels are from 2009. Can't miss out on 2010!
Cheers!

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fredrinaldi
cynthylee wrote:It's always nice to hear from Sue. I got my shipment from last month's woot!off (sadly, no extra label, but I do have one from a past purchase). As mentioned above, this is a great everyday white. Not to dry, not too sweet. Crisp with a nice finish. It goes great with game day snacks which is why I was soooo happy to see it back again. ++1 to those asking for the Rockus Bockus and Swami to make a reappearance. You can't go wrong with Blue Nomad.
Cheers!

Had me a Bottle of Rockus Bockus last night, 10 left, great stuff.

iggshipley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iggshipley

Order from wine woot all the time and have had no problems with shipping to West Virginia. Does anyone know why this wine is different?

kylemittskus

iggshipley wrote:Order from wine woot all the time and have had no problems with shipping to West Virginia. Does anyone know why this wine is different?

Each winery needs a license for each state.

iggshipley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iggshipley
kylemittskus wrote:Each winery needs a license for each state.

Thanks for the info. Really sorry to miss out on this wine. It sounds like a mixture I would really enjoy. Hopefully Blue Nomad will consider getting a license for West Virginia sometime soon so I can grab the deal next time.

cynthylee

fredrinaldi wrote:Had me a Bottle of Rockus Bockus last night, 10 left, great stuff.

I believe I've only got one left... thus the cry for the return! WD are you listening (reading)?

cynthylee

One more comment for today... had to throw a bottle into the fridge today and just had it with woot!cedar planked Copper River Salmon, homemade bleu cheese dressing salad and a little bread... YUMMO! Buy people, buy. It's good.

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

I have to say I love this white. I was expecting it to be sweeter with the G-miner, but it its very crisp. It really feels more like an Albarino and Chard blend. Great as a summer quaffer, but I've put it up against Thai and Mexican and you can't go wrong. My cellar is chock full, but I can't pass up the opportunity to pick up more of this vino at this price.

P.S. - It would be nice to see some Rockus Bockus

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Anyone know how this compares to triacepidis the first? I enjoy SB for the most part but the tri was quite good.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

Winery: is this all stainless or did it spend some time in oak?

losthighwayz

83fxwg wrote:I have to say I love this white. I was expecting it to be sweeter with the G-miner, but it its very crisp. It really feels more like an Albarino and Chard blend. Great as a summer quaffer, but I've put it up against Thai and Mexican and you can't go wrong. My cellar is chock full, but I can't pass up the opportunity to pick up more of this vino at this price.

P.S. - It would be nice to see some Rockus Bockus

Would ypu say the mouthfeel was viscuous in any way? Not a big fan. Hoping tjis is crisp with some minerality. Is this somewhat sweet? IF so, from a scale of 1-10 (1 being a tad bit sweet) what would u rate it? Thanks!

losthighwayz

losthighwayz wrote:Winery: is this all stainless or did it spend some time in oak?

Never mind just read specs. Stainless is what I love. Decisions! I really shouldnt given that I have a 4 and2 year old.....