WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ascus Nursery Ornamental Trees

Say out loud: "They're selling trees on Wine." Kinda sounds like the baby-talk version of "They're selling trees online," right? Well, in this case, both statements are true. We're selling ornamental trees online, right here on Wine.Woot. Now, as for the whole trees on a wine site thing, just ignore that part.
Ascus Nursery official site



Quality Posts


inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Anyone know how easy these are (or not) to care for? I'm pretty bad with plants...

I'm just hanging out, really.

Cesare


quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Ascus Nursery Ornamental Trees

Eversweet Strawberry Pot
$24.99 (Normally $49.99) 50% off List Price

Arbequina Olive Tree
$39.99 (Normally $59.99) 33% off List Price

Miniature Pomegranate
$29.99 (Normally $49.99) 40% off List Price

Miniature Coastal Redwood Tree
$29.99 (Normally $49.99) 40% off List Price

Hawaiian Tillandsia Pink Quill
$39.99 (Normally $59.99) 33% off List Price

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Double Bubbles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Double Bubbles
inkycatz wrote:Anyone know how easy these are (or not) to care for? I'm pretty bad with plants...



Not sure how easy they are to take care of but I saw the Hawaiian Tillandsia Pink Quill on amazon.com for 19.99.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
inkycatz wrote:Anyone know how easy these are (or not) to care for? I'm pretty bad with plants...



I was wondering about that too. And whether my cats would eat 'em.

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

So can you actually grow olives?

mkottman08


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mkottman08
slm9951 wrote:So can you actually grow olives?



The olives that are picked off trees are not the edible fruit that you enjoy, they are hard and extremely bitter; they have to be pickled and fermented before they becomes edible. However, if you wait for the tree to mature I can't see why you couldn't eat them.

Edit: More on Arbequina olives

chezteladog


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chezteladog

19.99 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Pink-Quill-Volcano-Plant/dp/B000PHHEJI

REdwood same price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brussels-Bonsai-DT2029DR-Dawn-Redwood/dp/B0000DGG22/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1345502235&sr=1-1&keywords=redwood+bonsai

Meh.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

So are these safe for cats? Would like to hear from the manufacturer or a representative that knows for sure.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

drewcroa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages drewcroa

How much sun does this(the trees) need, my lab has no windows, but it sure would liven in my lair. Can I get away with taking it out once or twice a week?

iissurf


quality posts: 26 Private Messages iissurf

I'd be interested to hear how the miniature pomegranates taste.

ibbijigety


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibbijigety

Found this care info on the mini pom:
Place the pomegranate in bright indirect light indoors. If the plant is not setting new buds after four to five weeks of planting, then move it to a brighter indoor location. If growing outdoors, then place the container in full sun. Optimum temperature indoors is 65 to 75 degrees F and grows outside in USDA zones eight to 11.

That site also warns that "The fruit of the miniature pomegranate is not edible by humans or animals"

jeeperwoot


quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot

too bad the mini-poms aren't edible. we have a lemon tree in the southern window that we get 1-2 lemons a year off of. we'd get more but the cat or kids knock of the others. maybe a redwood.

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

So are any fruit trees are edible? I totally went from wanting to buy one to not, I want eatible plants

gjbloom


quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

About the coastal redwood, Wikipedia says: "Condensation from coastal fog accounts for a considerable part of the trees' water needs." So if your home or office is blessed with a regularly used steam bath, these might be just the ticket.

inkycatz wrote:Anyone know how easy these are (or not) to care for? I'm pretty bad with plants...


winegrapebonsai


quality posts: 5 Private Messages winegrapebonsai

I did some research on the internet and according to my findings strawberry, olive and quill plants are not poisonous to dogs and cats. However both pomegranate and redwoods are. Hope this helps

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
winegrapebonsai wrote:I did some research on the internet and according to my findings strawberry, olive and quill plants are not poisonous to dogs and cats. However both pomegranate and redwoods are. Hope this helps



Yes it does help, thanks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
winegrapebonsai wrote:I did some research on the internet and according to my findings strawberry, olive and quill plants are not poisonous to dogs and cats. However both pomegranate and redwoods are. Hope this helps


As a pet owner, thank you!

I'm just hanging out, really.

donfirst


quality posts: 0 Private Messages donfirst
inkycatz wrote:Anyone know how easy these are (or not) to care for? I'm pretty bad with plants...



I would not dream of buying any of these. I did not see any word whether these plants could endure through a midwest WINTER indoors. I have been cultivating
Bonsai for over thirty years. I pass on this.

impact9


quality posts: 3 Private Messages impact9
gjbloom wrote:About the coastal redwood, Wikipedia says: "Condensation from coastal fog accounts for a considerable part of the trees' water needs." So if your home or office is blessed with a regularly used steam bath, these might be just the ticket.



Well yes and no. They do that because they don't always get the required rainfall all year round. So they use their massive canopy to gather water from the air. Chances are indoors moist soil would be more than enough to last. Very tempted.

iissurf


quality posts: 26 Private Messages iissurf
ibbijigety wrote:Found this care info on the mini pom:
Place the pomegranate in bright indirect light indoors. If the plant is not setting new buds after four to five weeks of planting, then move it to a brighter indoor location. If growing outdoors, then place the container in full sun. Optimum temperature indoors is 65 to 75 degrees F and grows outside in USDA zones eight to 11.

That site also warns that "The fruit of the miniature pomegranate is not edible by humans or animals"



Well that's a bunch of crap.

skispeakeasy


quality posts: 36 Private Messages skispeakeasy

I find it ironic that they didn't have fig trees for sale. Not only do they go better with wine, but they survive a lot better as a potted plant and you can definitely eat the fruit. I have three plants at home that supply me with fresh figs all winter.

The olive tree is enticing, but it does not say how mature the tree is. 1-2 year plans should have all buds picked off until the age of three or they will not get a signifigant amount of fruit.

dfilter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dfilter
skispeakeasy wrote:I find it ironic that they didn't have fig trees for sale. Not only do they go better with wine, but they survive a lot better as a potted plant and you can definitely eat the fruit. I have three plants at home that supply me with fresh figs all winter.

The olive tree is enticing, but it does not say how mature the tree is. 1-2 year plans should have all buds picked off until the age of three or they will not get a signifigant amount of fruit.


I find it ironic that you want "signifigant" fruit from an olive tree ;)

BrendaRichardson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages BrendaRichardson
iissurf wrote:Well that's a bunch of crap.



No, it's a tree. I haven't seen a bacon of creativeness yet...

~ba dum bump~

jackietherussell


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell
donfirst wrote:I would not dream of buying any of these. I did not see any word whether these plants could endure through a midwest WINTER indoors. I have been cultivating
Bonsai for over thirty years. I pass on this.

My son wants a beginner Bonsai - what do you recommend? His dorm room has -0- natural light, and very little artificial light (he got the bad side). Would the redwood tree adapt?

mrosem14


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrosem14
jackietherussell wrote:My son wants a beginner Bonsai - what do you recommend? His dorm room has -0- natural light, and very little artificial light (he got the bad side). Would the redwood tree adapt?



No. It would not. These are trees. As such they need fair amount of light. Probably a solid 6 hours of filtered light to live, 8 to thrive.

aphroat


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aphroat
chezteladog wrote:


REdwood same price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brussels-Bonsai-DT2029DR-Dawn-Redwood/dp/B0000DGG22/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1345502235&sr=1-1&keywords=redwood+bonsai

Meh.



Dawn redwood and Sequoia aren't at all the same.

dfunk29


quality posts: 51 Private Messages dfunk29
donfirst wrote:I would not dream of buying any of these. I did not see any word whether these plants could endure through a midwest WINTER indoors. I have been cultivating
Bonsai for over thirty years. I pass on this.



I've been doing Bonsai for 4 years and I'm glad I read the comments. You're so right, these wouldn't make it through an indoor, midwest winter. I'm passing too.

dfunk29


quality posts: 51 Private Messages dfunk29
jackietherussell wrote:My son wants a beginner Bonsai - what do you recommend? His dorm room has -0- natural light, and very little artificial light (he got the bad side). Would the redwood tree adapt?



Unless he has a desk lamp that he leaves on for long periods of time. I'm afraid there are very few Bonsai Tree's that can live without light. Unless he gets an artificial one, there are very few species that I know of that can tolerate "-0- natural light, and very little artificial light".

ral878


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ral878

I have a miniature pomegranate tree, it is not very miniature anymore... although I am not sure how to train it to be a small bonsai. the pomegranates are edible, but sour. Also It has survived the winters of Maine living indoors, it does lose quite a bit of leaves if its cold enough and can be very messy.

mthomtech


quality posts: 10 Private Messages mthomtech

Any idea when these are shipping?

3 x

nguyen8136


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nguyen8136
mthomtech wrote:Any idea when these are shipping?



I would like to know too.

buzz...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 588 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Things on wine.woot (even non-wine items) can take about 2-3 weeks for shipping. It's still a bit early yet. Hang in there.

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.]



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Jnieberd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jnieberd

I got my olive tree today! It's a very cute tree, but the pot was very very broken. I'm glad I had a spare to transplant into!

It also had one olive, which I very naively picked and attempted to eat. Bleah! Live and learn.

The Force is like Duct Tape: It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds the galaxy together.

nguyen8136


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nguyen8136
Jnieberd wrote:I got my olive tree today! It's a very cute tree, but the pot was very very broken. I'm glad I had a spare to transplant into!

It also had one olive, which I very naively picked and attempted to eat. Bleah! Live and learn.



Same i got my olive tree too. Almost look identical to what we posted. My pot was smashed as well. O well... I transplanted it into a 5 gallon container.

buzz...

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
nguyen8136 wrote:Same i got my olive tree too. Almost look identical to what we posted. My pot was smashed as well. O well... I transplanted it into a 5 gallon container.



Where you able to track your order? Mine doesn't show any updates since "Shipment info was sent"...

~Tico

mthomtech


quality posts: 10 Private Messages mthomtech

Got my redwood yesterday and it's great. PAckagin was good and pot not broken (thank goodness).

Looks great!

Now I just have to avoid killing it!

3 x

guzmantis


quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

Today we finally received our mini pomegranate tree. It looks kind of anemic, but maybe it just needs water and sun. The mini pomegranate is pretty cool, though!

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
guzmantis wrote:Today we finally received our mini pomegranate tree.



Awww, little tree!

I'm just hanging out, really.

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
guzmantis wrote:Today we finally received our mini pomegranate tree. It looks kind of anemic, but maybe it just needs water and sun. The mini pomegranate is pretty cool, though!



You think yours looks anemic? Look at mine! It's all yellow and leaves just fall off when you move the pot. How do I know if this is not "acceptable"?