jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

I also tried this on the RPM tour. It was not one of my favorites. As redwinefan said, the name tells it all. I don't have my notes, but recall a nose of Welch's grape juice and a sweetness on the palate. Now that I see the 6 g/l of residual sugar, it makes sense. Again, to each his own, this just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say the bottle alone may be worth buying at least one set

EDIT: top!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Arista07

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Arista07

As a 23 year old who has only dabbled in wines and has an admittedly rather unrefined palette, I think this should do well among my friends over a weekend. A lot of people in my age group don't consider wine easily accessible without having a history with it. This should be fairly non-intimidating, right down to the bottle. In for 1. Hopefully the next time it's available, I'll be in for 3.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I can't resist so I'm in. My wife loved the F-bomb so I hope that shows up again.

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

In for a set.
Unlike past woot cellars reds this should be ready to drink upon receipt.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

15 per bottle for a woot cellars seems steep, esp. a zin! Ty caton's last woot cellars went for 10 per which is what i would be willing to pay for this. Way too many great zins out there at this price point to cobsider this a deal ive been accustomed to get via woot cellars.

"The older I get the better I was"

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I'd love to try this, but the timing is all wrong for me. Hope there will be some bottles left over to do another sale in a few months. Need to deplete the cellar to make room for these.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

I'm kinda new to wines. I have found out that I really only like sweet wines with low alcohol. So basically I'm not a wine drinker,but for some reason I have this fever right now to buy wine bottles. Not sure why. Wondering how sweet this will be considering I'm a novice to all this terminology. Don't think I've had Zinfandel before. I do have extra bottles of the F-bomb Riesling which to me was somewhat sweet but a bit dry. Didn't like it as much as some of you avid wine aficionados. You reckon I'll like it? I've got 4 bottles left of the F-bomb, and would be willing to trade 3 if you lived in NC, or I might just buy this selection to add to my collection. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to display all this stuff cause I drink very slowly.

verybadperson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verybadperson

What is the drinking window? Will this wine improve with cellaring?

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ajrod27 wrote:Woot Cellars D’ONTSPILLE LE BLACK 2009 Pinot Noir - 4 Pack $47.99

Woot Cellars Vinito del Finito 2010 Late Harvest Zin - 4 Pack $39.99

The Vinito del Finito are half-bottles (375ml). So, taking that into consideration, they are closer to $20/bottle. And they are worth every penny

Too lazy to look back through my account, but I think Polyphemus is #2 behind Finito at something like $38 for the magnum.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

North316 wrote:In for one. Would have been in for three if this had a better price.

I'm not that smart; in for 3!

(okay 2 for me & one for kmeyersvt). Rolling the dice a bit that those predicting "best as a drink now wine" are wrong. I have a full stock of Blitzen & MP2 I've been sitting on for the past year!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

crimsonsil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crimsonsil

Fruito BOMBAAA

marchbanks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marchbanks
MarkDaSpark wrote:Three Wine Company, Contra Costa County. Just like the previous two Woot Cellars.

Edit: They've done 5 previous (1 red, 4 white) to this one ...

2008 Woot Cellars Triacipedis = Matt Cline of Three Wine Company
2008 Woot Cellars Adequate Gift = Matt Cline of Three Wine Company
2010 Woot Cellars Triacipedis and the Minotaur’s Chalice = Three Wine Company
2011 Woot Cellars F-Bomb Riesling = Three Wine Company
2011 Triacipedis in the Dominion of the Flower-King = Three Wine Company

There's actually 3 more:
Monkey Prize - Pedroncelli
Monkey 2nd Prize - Pedroncelli
and Blitzen - Not sure.

cmishnr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmishnr
coynedj wrote:Pricey, but still considering it. Anyone in the Twin Cities up for a split?

Would love to - thanks for offering!
Chuck

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Love the label!

I'm just hanging out, really.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
verybadperson wrote:What is the drinking window? Will this wine improve with cellaring?

Drink now and over the next year or so. Highly unlikely that it will improve significantly over time given the high alcohol and high pH. More likely to lose fruit and become flabby/flat in a couple of years.

The point of this wine is to drink now. If you like fruit bombs, you're likely to like this. People who like fruit bombs seemed to like this at the Tuesday Eventing Tasting on the Tour.

If you don't like fruit bombs, it's probably not for you. For me, the nose alone told me it wasn't my style. But, my style isn't for everyone, either.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP
drunkenalien wrote:I'm kinda new to wines. I have found out that I really only like sweet wines with low alcohol. So basically I'm not a wine drinker,but for some reason I have this fever right now to buy wine bottles. Not sure why. Wondering how sweet this will be considering I'm a novice to all this terminology. Don't think I've had Zinfandel before. I do have extra bottles of the F-bomb Riesling which to me was somewhat sweet but a bit dry. Didn't like it as much as some of you avid wine aficionados. You reckon I'll like it? I've got 4 bottles left of the F-bomb, and would be willing to trade 3 if you lived in NC, or I might just buy this selection to add to my collection. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to display all this stuff cause I drink very slowly.

Many wine lovers start out just like you - I did. You have to build your palate over time, trying different wines. This sounds like a good entry-level red to try - fruity, a hint of sweetness. When I moved from sweet into reds, a wine shop in San Fran started me on Zins. I've been in love ever since.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
marchbanks wrote:There's actually 3 more:
and Blitzen - Not sure.

There are a lot more Woot Cellar wines than that, he was simply naming the ones from Three Wines Company, which made this one.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo

A couple of my favorite WW Zin purchases have been the '08 InZinerator and the '08 Jason Stephens Estate Zin.

Have any of you lucky enough to have already sampled this also had those? And if you have, any comparison thoughts?

Grazie!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cmishnr wrote:Would love to - thanks for offering!
Chuck

PM for you!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

I love a good Zin, and even love a good fruit bomb, but the price here is not that great. This may be one of the rare times I pass on a Woot Cellars offering.

Potato33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Potato33
SneezyKevinA wrote:I can't resist so I'm in. My wife loved the F-bomb so I hope that shows up again.

Must...resist...joke...

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt
sneefy wrote:I love a good Zin, and even love a good fruit bomb, but the price here is not that great. This may be one of the rare times I pass on a Woot Cellars offering.

I've passed on some WC whites, but I'm really conflicted about this one. I don't know if my wife or I have tasted a Zin we didn't like, but this is pricey. Maybe in for just one.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Unpaid maternity leave = have to pass due to price. Stupid US (lack of real) maternity leave policies...

Grenache

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grenache
sdilullo wrote:A couple of my favorite WW Zin purchases have been the Inzinerator and the Jason Stephens Estate Zin.

Have any of you lucky enough to have already sampled this also had those? And if you have, any comparison thoughts?

Grazie!

Which year InZin?

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Due to the price, and the problems with woot shipment, and the fact that I have plenty of fruity, easy drink wine from the finger lakes, I will have to pass. I love woot cellars usually but the price for something I have find twice as cheap local is just a turn off for me.

sdilullo

Grenache wrote:Which year InZin?

'08

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
marchbanks wrote:There's actually 3 more:
and Blitzen - Not sure.

As North316 noted, I was just listing the ones that Three Wine has done as Woot Cellars for us.

This should be the 20th Woot Cellars wine. The list is here, graciously updated by Joatmon.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
sdilullo wrote:'08

Sorry alter ego.

Buy this if you liked the 08 InZin. Here's the specs from the InZin:
Blend:  78% Zinfandel, 16% Syrah, 5% Forte, 1% Barbera 
Alcohol:  15.5%       
pH:  3.62       
RS:  .8%

F-Bomb:
Harvest Date: September 25th, 29th, & 30th, 2010
Total Acidity: 0.63 g/100 ml
pH: 3.63
Alcohol: 15.6%
Residual Sugar: 0.61 g/ 100ml

The 5% Forte made the InZin kind of sweet. This wine sounds to be along the exact same line.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sdilullo

kylemittskus wrote:Sorry alter ego.

Buy this if you liked the 08 InZin. Here's the specs from the InZin:
Blend:  78% Zinfandel, 16% Syrah, 5% Forte, 1% Barbera 
Alcohol:  15.5%       
pH:  3.62       
RS:  .8%

F-Bomb:
Harvest Date: September 25th, 29th, & 30th, 2010
Total Acidity: 0.63 g/100 ml
pH: 3.63
Alcohol: 15.6%
Residual Sugar: 0.61 g/ 100ml

The 5% Forte made the InZin kind of sweet. This wine sounds to be along the exact same line.

Thank you sir!

In for one - plus some batteries. Yay for combined shipping.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
amreli wrote:Unpaid maternity leave = have to pass due to price. Stupid US (lack of real) maternity leave policies...

So, it's the FedGov's responsibility to enact policy that states you should be paid for choosing to not work?

I never cease to be amazed at how the entitlement generation thinks.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I love a good zin, but can't hang with the sweetness being offered up here.

As alluded to above, if you liked the '08 InZinerator, you will probably like this. I know plenty of folks liked that one because I was easily able to sell the bottles I purchased. ;)

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Got this when it dropped last night; after reading the comments super-glad I'm in. I'm a sucker for any Woot Cellars offering, and any Cali Zin, glad to hear that this is a giant fruitbomb fatty fat fatty Cali Zin couchpounder.

flbutler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flbutler
drunkenalien wrote:...I do have extra bottles of the F-bomb Riesling which to me was somewhat sweet but a bit dry. Didn't like it as much as some of you avid wine aficionados. You reckon I'll like it? I've got 4 bottles left of the F-bomb, and would be willing to trade 3...

I would be interested in trading/buying your 3 F-bomb wines if possible.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
flbutler wrote:I live in VA and would be interested in trading/buying your 3 F-bomb wines if possible. You can email me at [mod- email removed, private message (little envelope!) recommended]

Alter your email like I have in the quote. Spam is not good for you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kylemittskus wrote:Alter your email like I have in the quote. Spam is not good for you.

Thanks for looking out for people! (Although we recommend using private messages instead!)

I'm just hanging out, really.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Seems a tad pricey for a Woot! cellars offering. Any justification? Doesn't sound like anything that exceptional....

You've been put on posting probation for this post

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
inkycatz wrote:Love the label!

I was wondering why it took so long for someone to say that. The label rocks out loud.

sdilullo

toonvox wrote:I was wondering why it took so long for someone to say that. The label rocks out loud.

Yeah, as someone who loves aviation and WWII... well, I basically had to buy some for the label alone!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
speedoo wrote:Not sure, but I am pretty sure it is the most expensive of all the Woot Cellars offerings. If it were a nice cab, I'd probably go for it, but I think I will have to pass.

I'm with you a cab... auto buy, Zin not a fan.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
amreli wrote:Unpaid maternity leave = have to pass due to price. Stupid US (lack of real) maternity leave policies...

stupid US... really?