brooklynbrine

quality posts: 9 Private Messages brooklynbrine

I can understand that sentiment, but I just want to stress again that we use premium ingredients for our products: Finger Lakes Distilling Bourbon, organic grade b maple syrup from Cooperstown, NY, 60 minute IPA from Dogfish Head, cascade hop-oil, and pure apple cider vinegar from upstate orchards are just some of the fine examples of things we use. Cheers!

bhodilee wrote:The same can be said about the jerky. People are lazy and shop for convenience. I know I do.

bhaschalk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bhaschalk

Funny to see these on here this morning, I have a jar in the fridge from a recent visit to my brother in laws place in Boston MA.

I'm a pickle fanatic, but my palette tends to lean toward insane sour or mustard (Amatos, Sams Club sells the 128oz jars, I buy one a month .

That being said these are not your average pickle. I definitely appreciate them as one of the most unique I've ever tasted, slightly sweet, and sour but not enough to curl your nose hairs (like I like, but I'm odd). Hints of spice as you eat one but not at a level that would compare to even pepperoni, so not uncomfortable, just flavorful.

This is the kind of pickle you want to appreciate the flavor of, so I don't see it as one that you'd want to pile on your club, but have alongside.

If you love pickles, try em, like a local radio station up here in Maine says, different is good.

finefatfly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages finefatfly
rafcon wrote:I took a chance and bought these last time. I could not believe how amazing these were! I hadn't eaten pickles in a very long time... Maybe since I was a kid... But I ate every pickle in all three jars! Each time I ate one, the flavor was intense and I wanted to save all the remaining pickles so I wouldn't run out too quickly! After finishing the last one, I have been waiting and waiting for these to return and went looking online and found them through one or two other sites (like Williams Sonoma and Dean and Deluca) but the prices were high (especially with shipping!)

The previous woot had flavors like Damn Spicy, a New York Deli one, and a whiskey sour one... All amazing but two of the three were spicy. I love spicy food so they all were perfect but I could see the damn spicy being a little much for the sensitive palette.

This time, I'm disappointed to see what looks like pickle chips versus halves, but based on my previous experience and the fact I have waited so long for these... I'm in for three!!! $75 in pickles!!! Looks like I'll be eating pickle chips out of the jar soon enough as a snack!

I highly recommend based on the flavors, but you have to like spicy food for the Damn Spicy one.

Thanks woot! And the Brooklyn Brinery!

Don't forgot the $5 shipping...so $80 for 9 jars of pickles, so $8.89 each.

Yeah, I'll stick with the $3.49 Claussen at the grocery store.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
speedoo wrote:Different products like what?. I have no interest in trying any of your other pickles unless they are like BaTemte.

So by your estimation if someone makes a Syrah in a style you dislike, they couldn't possibly make a Cab in a style you do like? It is entirely possible they have a range of pickles for sale in the store that you would enjoy and you just need to go look. I'd say that's a rock solid offer you've been made. Unless you have an inordinate amount of stock or are family of the Ba Temte(sp?) pickle people, I'd say you're just being obstinate and generally you're quite rational.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
brooklynbrine wrote:I can understand that sentiment, but I just want to stress again that we use premium ingredients for our products: Finger Lakes Distilling Bourbon, organic grade b maple syrup from Cooperstown, NY, 60 minute IPA from Dogfish Head, cascade hop-oil, and pure apple cider vinegar from upstate orchards are just some of the fine examples of things we use. Cheers!

Wasn't meant as a knock in any way. We don't live in the 30's anymore and very few people do their own canning. It is way to easy to go to the store and buy it. I just get tired of people who say, why would you buy that when it's easy to make.

List of things that are easy to make that I usually buy instead BECAUSE THEY'RE TIME CONSUMING:

Wine (yeah, it's not that hard)
Beer
Shirts
Pants
Pickles
Ground Beef
the butchered portion of any animal
Jerky
the list could be much longer.

They took the time to make a quality product, probably better than you can make yourself or at least close enough to not spend an hour or two doing it yourself. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. Go pick up a jar of Vlasic and be happy.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

elpepe wrote:I also ordered but did not receive an email confirmation. It's not in my spam folder either.

Ok, I'll send it in. If it's showing up in "Your Account", you should be good.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:The same can be said about the jerky. People are lazy and shop for convenience. I know I do.

At least this photo is much nice to look at!

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tilandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilandra
sprkmaker wrote:Despite that, i'm wondering if you can provide any info on home pickling. I've tried the hot bat submersion pickles and they always end up WAYYYY too soft....on the other hand, i've been told by many that just hot packing them (just pouring hot vinegar solution over pickles, then sealing) isnt safe. What is your technique? Do you ferment?

If you want to learn more about home-canning and pickling, I recommend two books... "The Ball Blue Book of Home Preserving" and "The Art of Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. Most commercial picklers add calcium chloride (brand name is Ball Pickle Crisp) to their mix to keep them crunchy, but that's getting away from the organic spirit of things. I'm not sure fermented pickles can be sold in the US commercially without also being heat-processed, and that pretty much kills any health benefits you'd normally get in a fermented pickle. Anyhoo... if you have any questions about canning or fermenting, those two books are a good start.

Edited to add: Also, if the home-canned pickles you tried are WAY too mushy, then the person who made them might be over-processing the batch, or taking too long to come up to a boil after putting the jars in. Then you've just got cooked cucumbers in vinegar.

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen

It's hard to find a good pickle. All of the mass produced pickles I've tried are bland or tasteless. If I find a good pickle, I buy several bottles of them.

brooklynbrine

We us tannin rich apple cider vinegar and are careful, hygienic, hand pack process to keep our pickles crisp. The tannins interact with the cellular wall of whatever produce we might be pickling to help strengthen them. Fermented pickles are absolutely allowed to be sold in the US. FDA requires 2% salinity per weight of the brine and for the unpasteurized pickles to be stored outside of the danger zone (refrigerate them). Cheers!

tilandra wrote:If you want to learn more about home-canning and pickling, I recommend two books... "The Ball Blue Book of Home Preserving" and "The Art of Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. Most commercial picklers add calcium chloride (brand name is Ball Pickle Crisp) to their mix to keep them crunchy, but that's getting away from the organic spirit of things. I'm not sure fermented pickles can be sold in the US commercially without also being heat-processed, and that pretty much kills any health benefits you'd normally get in a fermented pickle. Anyhoo... if you have any questions about canning or fermenting, those two books are a good start.

brooklynbrine

forgot to mention those are great recommendations on the books. Also, we will never use calcium chloride or sodium benzoate in our pickles. Cheers!

tilandra wrote:If you want to learn more about home-canning and pickling, I recommend two books... "The Ball Blue Book of Home Preserving" and "The Art of Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. Most commercial picklers add calcium chloride (brand name is Ball Pickle Crisp) to their mix to keep them crunchy, but that's getting away from the organic spirit of things. I'm not sure fermented pickles can be sold in the US commercially without also being heat-processed, and that pretty much kills any health benefits you'd normally get in a fermented pickle. Anyhoo... if you have any questions about canning or fermenting, those two books are a good start.

tilandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilandra
brooklynbrine wrote:Fermented pickles are absolutely allowed to be sold in the US. FDA requires 2% salinity per weight of the brine and for the unpasteurized pickles to be stored outside of the danger zone (refrigerate them). Cheers!

Good to know! Thanks.

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen

If these are unopened, do they need refrigeration? I ask because I won't be here next week, but I'd like to order them and have them sent to work.

brooklynbrine

They will be A ok! These pickles have a hermetic seal and are in a anaerobic state, suffice to say nothing is happening to these pickles! Be sure to refrigerate them before you serve for best results. Cheers!

ctviggen wrote:If these are unopened, do they need refrigeration? I ask because I won't be here next week, but I'd like to order them and have them sent to work.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:So by your estimation if someone makes a Syrah in a style you dislike, they couldn't possibly make a Cab in a style you do like?

This is more like if a place makes big batches of sweet force carbed $5 "Sparkling Wine," and you like dry méthode champenoise stuff, you wouldn't expect them to make that.

"Pickles" as far as speedoo is concerned means fermented pickles not ones made with vinegar. Vinegar is a quick and cheap way to make pickles, which is comercially attractive for a number of reasons, none of which is the flavor or texture of the product. Brining is the real way they're made, but they're not nearly as easy to deal with (require refrigeration for one thing).

However it sounds like locals *can* get real fermented pickles at their store, so in fact Speedoo might want to take them up on it!

I'm pretty tempted because of those DFH 60min pickles even though vinegar based pickles aren't my preference either...

brooklynbrine

As a pickle lover I can appreciate this. Please note that we use apple cider vinegar which is a far cry from distilled white used by most commercial picklers. We pull a lot of flavors with our vinegar brine. Each one has different spices cooked in as well as things like 60 minute ipa, Rye Whiskey, Bourbon, carmelized onions etc etc. Again, vinegar allows for a controlled flavor profile and proper canning techniques allow for a naturally crisp pickle. Cheers!

mother wrote:This is more like if a place makes big batches of sweet force carbed $5 "Sparkling Wine," and you like dry méthode champenoise stuff, you wouldn't expect them to make that.

"Pickles" as far as speedoo is concerned means fermented pickles not ones made with vinegar. Vinegar is a quick and cheap way to make pickles, which is comercially attractive for a number of reasons, none of which is the flavor or texture of the product. Brining is the real way they're made, but they're not nearly as easy to deal with (require refrigeration for one thing).

However it sounds like locals *can* get real fermented pickles at their store, so in fact Speedoo might want to take them up on it!

I'm pretty tempted because of those DFH 60min pickles even though vinegar based pickles aren't my preference either...

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
brooklynbrine wrote:As a pickle lover I can appreciate this. Please note that we use apple cider vinegar which is a far cry from distilled white used by most commercial picklers.

I meant in no way to imply that your use of vinegar was about input costs, sorry.

theorhodes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theorhodes

Got this last time, and was particularly impressed by the Whiskey Sour pickles, which had typical sour pickle flavor as well as whiskey notes and lovely level of spice. The damn spicy was also good, and the NY deli style pretty underwhelming, perhaps by comparison. I'd be in for this one if the new flavors were 24oz jars, but 16 oz is too little pickle for the price.

AVNGME

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AVNGME

Wow - I have never seen so many people get worked up over all things - pickels. Seriously - if you do not like them just don't buy them.

vrthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vrthomas
rafcon wrote:I took a chance and bought these last time. I could not believe how amazing these were! I hadn't eaten pickles in a very long time... Maybe since I was a kid... But I ate every pickle in all three jars! Each time I ate one, the flavor was intense and I wanted to save all the remaining pickles so I wouldn't run out too quickly! After finishing the last one, I have been waiting and waiting for these to return and went looking online and found them through one or two other sites (like Williams Sonoma and Dean and Deluca) but the prices were high (especially with shipping!)

The previous woot had flavors like Damn Spicy, a New York Deli one, and a whiskey sour one... All amazing but two of the three were spicy. I love spicy food so they all were perfect but I could see the damn spicy being a little much for the sensitive palette.

This time, I'm disappointed to see what looks like pickle chips versus halves, but based on my previous experience and the fact I have waited so long for these... I'm in for three!!! $75 in pickles!!! Looks like I'll be eating pickle chips out of the jar soon enough as a snack!

I highly recommend based on the flavors, but you have to like spicy food for the Damn Spicy one.

Thanks woot! And the Brooklyn Brinery!

I thought the Whiskey ones were spicier than the Damn Spicy.

But regardless, if you like pickles at all, do not pass these up. I've spent the last week looking for somewhere to buy them locally (I need to go by Whole Foods still) and cannot find them. I was just reading about the Hop pickles - the owner of Dogfish teamed up with them to create these. Can I justify going in for 3?

brooklynbrine

Here's the Hop-Pickle story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnaDAQeV9U

vrthomas wrote:I thought the Whiskey ones were spicier than the Damn Spicy.

But regardless, if you like pickles at all, do not pass these up. I've spent the last week looking for somewhere to buy them locally (I need to go by Whole Foods still) and cannot find them. I was just reading about the Hop pickles - the owner of Dogfish teamed up with them to create these. Can I justify going in for 3?

boice818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boice818

I got these last time. I enjoyed the NY Deli and the Whiskey Sour, the Damn spicy were just as their name indicated...damn spicy. However, I'm going to pass, because I've found a brand of pickles here that I really like (and I'm probably going to get crap from all the "sophisticated palate" people). I highly recommend the Vlassic Farmer's Garden Zesty Garlic Chips. Absolutely wonderful (though a bit too thickly cut).

jbeige

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbeige

I saw Brooklyn Brine on the History Channel. They were the on Modern Marvels episode called "Built By Hand". I can't seem to find a video anywhere, but I did find a blog post mentioning it.

mudderfudder77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudderfudder77

This is by no means an indictment against the pickles being offered - but I think I've given up on ordering pickled/canned/jarred/non-wine items on wine.woot.

I ordered the bacon jam, and it took 4 weeks to be delivered and when it did arrive one of the containers had leaked and the entire contents of the box was covered in bacon grease.

I ordered the Wacky Jam (or whatever it was called), and several weeks after order received an email stating that there was an issue and they would not be sending the product. Of course, I only came to that conclusion after reading through the email 5 or 6 times - woot was more interested in funny/laugh-y times than actually explaining what happened.

Pickles Guys - I'm sure your pickes are fantastic. I bet you can taste the difference that those high quality ingredients you use make. I bet they're worth every penny you're selling them for - but I just can't do it.

Its not you, its me.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mudderfudder77 wrote:
I ordered the Wacky Jam (or whatever it was called), and several weeks after order received an email stating that there was an issue and they would not be sending the product. Of course, I only came to that conclusion after reading through the email 5 or 6 times - woot was more interested in funny/laugh-y times than actually explaining what happened.

Not to get off subject, but I would like to put this in context for those who weren't aware of the situation. It was Jam Stand Artisan jams. While there was a woot spin on it, the email was very clear in saying that they cancelled the order with the vendor because the product was not up to their quality standards. We all received a full refund AND a $5 woot coupon AND if by chance the vendor does ever redeem itself, we will still receive the jams we ordered (not holding my breath on this). I just wanted to clarify this for those reading; while not done in the fastest or most informative way, woot did a good job handling that situation.

As for the broken jar in your other order, that is on the vendor or the shipping company, not on woot. If you didn't contact customer service about the issue than that is your fault, because they would have immediately refunded your order or sent a replacement.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

I still have a jar of the whiskey sour ones from last time. Thinking about it-----oh! Saw you on "Easy Chinese" with Ching He Huang this past Saturday. Guess I'm in after all!

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

panthiest

quality posts: 11 Private Messages panthiest
speedoo wrote:I have 4 unopened jars from last time I will sell cheap to someone in the NY area. PM me if interested with an offer.

1 NYC Deli
1 Damn Spicy
2 Whiskey Sour
(all are 24 oz. Bottles)

I am in Brooklyn, and can meet somewhere for exchange.

Pm'd

mitchells2003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchells2003

Last time I saw a deal on Brooklyn Brine pickles, I bought one and found the whiskey sour pickles to be spicier than the damn spicy ones.

psumek

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psumek

great pickles and super cheap. Looking at $16 a jar @ Williams Sonoma, and they only carry the "Damn Spicy."

codex24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages codex24
rolede wrote:Over Priced
Over Rated

Tried them last time.
Never again
Get Ba-Tampte-

Ba-Tampte Pickles - Means Tasty ...Since 1955 - Contact Us
batamptepickle.com/contact.php
Contact Us. Ba-Tampte Pickle Products, Inc. 77 Brooklyn Terminal Market Brooklyn, NY 11236. Phone: (718) 251-2100. Fax: (718) 531-9212 ...

Get their Garlic Dill

I bought these last time, and my entire family and I have to agree with this assessment: over-hyped, over-priced, and not that good. We found these pickles rubbery, excessively hot (picante) even in the not-spicy varieties, and too acidic.

kineticmedic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kineticmedic

I got these last time, the damn spicy ones were very good. I'm not terribly fond of the NYC style ones, a bit too vinegary even for me. I've yet to break into the whiskey sours but I plan to at some point. Myself, they were a nice excursion in flavor and worth the experiment, but then I'm a pickle snob and live for the freshest crunchiest pickles. My gold standard are the half sours fresh from the carnegie deli in NYC so when I find something that matches (and most Batempte batches in the store are too old by the time they reach it) I'll be shouting it's praises from the rooftops. These are good though.

mangamonster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mangamonster
sprkmaker wrote: The guy made a very decent offer and you poop on his pickles.

I honestly feel that this should be made into an official idiom for N America! Seriously...I just may suggest this to the QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins...you think I'm kidding...

I plan on using 'poop on his pickles' here very soon in an upcoming conversation.

Gamrz Podcast Show

ThunderThighs

Staff

mangamonster wrote:I honestly feel that this should be made into an official idiom for N America! Seriously...I just may suggest this to the QPB Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins...you think I'm kidding...

I plan on using 'poop on his pickles' here very soon in an upcoming conversation.

I was laughing so much reading this. I think I'll join you in adopting that phrase. It's just perfect.

mangamonster

ThunderThighs wrote:I was laughing so much reading this. I think I'll join you in adopting that phrase. It's just perfect.

I have submitted the following to urban dictionary...let this thread become legendary! ...of course, I had to 'zest' it up a bit to add a slice of humor.

Word: Poop on his pickles

Definition: Instead of accepting a nice gesture as a sign of forgiveness from a previous misunderstanding or forum based argument, you would rather further insult that person due to plain'ol a**hattery, and the fact that you can mean-fully speak your mind behind the anonymous veil of the internet.

Origin: a consumer of a popular daily-deal website rudely commented on an open forum about a pickle product that was for sale, and further insulted the business owner after he/she attempted to offer a free jar of pickles to reconcile any misunderstands.

Example:

Pooper wrote: I have a pallet of their crappy pickles gathering dust in my home. If any of you wanna take'em off my hands, please pm me

Pickle Owner: If you would like to stop by our Brinery, we would be more than happy to exchange for a different product. We have a wide variety of pickles and are sure we can be your pickle matchmaker!

Pooper wrote: You wanna offer me different products? Like what? I have no interest in trying any of your other pickles unless they are like BaTemte.

Keeper of the Peace wrote: You're sounding like a donkey right now. The guy made you a very decent offer and instead, you poop on his pickles! A review is one thing, but your attitude is ridiculous...it's obviously you like more old school style pickles, why not just take the offer, pick up a jar or two of his other pickled products and let it be.

Tags: pickles, poop, a**hat, greifer, troll

Gamrz Podcast Show

mangamonster

And to show my respects to Brooklyn Brine Artisan Pickles, I am going to buy a few jars from them as soon as I post this. I love me a good pickle!

Gamrz Podcast Show

sprkmaker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sprkmaker

I cant wait to tell my kids when I get home that I finally made it big on the internet.

mangamonster wrote:I have submitted the following to urban dictionary...let this thread become legendary! ...of course, I had to 'zest' it up a bit to add a slice of humor.

Word: Poop on his pickles

Definition: Instead of accepting a nice gesture as a sign of forgiveness from a previous misunderstanding or forum based argument, you would rather further insult that person due to plain'ol a**hattery, and the fact that you can mean-fully speak your mind behind the anonymous veil of the internet.

Origin: a consumer of a popular daily-deal website rudely commented on an open forum about a pickle product that was for sale, and further insulted the business owner after he/she attempted to offer a free jar of pickles to reconcile any misunderstands.

Example:

Pooper wrote: I have a pallet of their crappy pickles gathering dust in my home. If any of you wanna take'em off my hands, please pm me

Pickle Owner: If you would like to stop by our Brinery, we would be more than happy to exchange for a different product. We have a wide variety of pickles and are sure we can be your pickle matchmaker!

Pooper wrote: You wanna offer me different products? Like what? I have no interest in trying any of your other pickles unless they are like BaTemte.

Keeper of the Peace wrote: You're sounding like a donkey right now. The guy made you a very decent offer and instead, you poop on his pickles! A review is one thing, but your attitude is ridiculous...it's obviously you like more old school style pickles, why not just take the offer, pick up a jar or two of his other pickled products and let it be.

Tags: pickles, poop, a**hat, greifer, troll

molbioguy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages molbioguy

If the Brooklyn Brine guy/gal is still around, I want to know how to get their pickles (outside of Woot!). Do they sell direct? I've looked around at online outlets, but the pickings are meager -- not much variety to select from either. Anybody else know good places to acquire these pickles? I love the pickled carrots (among many other items they make).

sprkmaker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sprkmaker

I know whole foods is supposed to carry them. I've noticed a couple varieties at the whole foods I shop at in town.

molbioguy wrote:If the Brooklyn Brine guy/gal is still around, I want to know how to get their pickles (outside of Woot!). Do they sell direct? I've looked around at online outlets, but the pickings are meager -- not much variety to select from either. Anybody else know good places to acquire these pickles? I love the pickled carrots (among many other items they make).

evilsweeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilsweeps

In for one! Going to save the hop-pickles for when I bust out the 4 pack of 120min IPA's I have aging in my basement ;)

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin
phidan wrote:On top of that, the majority of people in the previous thread were not excited about these.

I was wrong.

When these were first offered I got them. The last time they were offered I had only tried the Damn Spicy (eating them straight) and didn't care for them. The apple cider vinegar wasn't doing it for me.

I decided to try them on ham sandwiches (Boar's Head Tavern Ham on an onion roll with provalone), and it was completely different.

I felt bad. My last review essentially stated they were good, but not worth getting again. They were amazing, and I thought "I hope they sell them again so I can redeem myself a little."

So there it is. I was completely wrong and I am ordering them again.

Plus, the brine is pretty good for reuse a couple of times for flavoring cheap regular pickles.