inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Not every college student prefers beer! I know that's hard to believe because stereotypes are easy, but let's roll with it for a bit, shall we?

While I was hoping we could get some recipes for student chow to pair up with wines, let's just skip the food and talk wine instead!

Let's keep the wine suggestions at a $15 and under price point. Sure, special occasions do come up, but we're looking for the best kick back with a DVD after a long day of class wine, or "trying to impress that other person without spending a fortune" wine.

For starters, do you agree with some of these picks?

Quality Posts

I'm just hanging out, really.

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20
inkycatz wrote:Not every college student prefers beer! I know that's hard to believe because stereotypes are easy, but let's roll with it for a bit, shall we?

While I was hoping we could get some recipes for student chow to pair up with wines, let's just skip the food and talk wine instead!

Let's keep the wine suggestions at a $15 and under price point. Sure, special occasions do come up, but we're looking for the best kick back with a DVD after a long day of class wine, or "trying to impress that other person without spending a fortune" wine.

No. But that's only because it's Oprah
I would come here for the occasionally $99 case shipped.

CT

inkycatz

cortot20 wrote:No. But that's only because it's Oprah
I would come here for the occasionally $99 case shipped.

Ha, I wasn't even focusing on the source, more the list!

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Charles and Charles Red ($10) - sometimes on sale for $8... It's my go to wine.

The rose is also pretty tasty...

http://bielerandsmith.com/

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
inkycatz wrote:Not every college student prefers beer! I know that's hard to believe because stereotypes are easy, but let's roll with it for a bit, shall we?

The Bonny Doon rose recc'd in the article is actually a great deal at $15. I've consumed quite a few this year.

At <$15, I would definitely look towards Muscadet and Touraine in the Loire for affordable and interesting whites. Vino Verdhe and large-format gruners are also always crowd-pleasers in the cheap wine camp.

For interesting red wines, I'd work my way through the affordable bottles from the Rhone and Languedoc/Roussillion at my local shop. I feel like I find a lot of value in the Rhone varietals. Village-level Beaujolais are also usually in this price point. If you're looking for cabernet - I almost always prefer <$15 Bordeaux wines over the <$15 California bottles.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99
kittymac wrote:Charles and Charles Red ($10) - sometimes on sale for $8... It's my go to wine.

The rose is also pretty tasty...

http://bielerandsmith.com/

+1 on the Red

I'd also recommend The Crusher Petite Sirah ($12-15) as a fruit-forward crowd pleaser.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

For the novice sparklerati, Jaume Serra Cristalino makes a good Cava Brut and very good Cava Brut Rose that are normally at/below the $10 price point.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Even though this is an older thread, it still has great value. And, if you can find some of the older wines listed here, you'll be getting an even greater value!

Recession recommendations ($15 or less)

A couple of my personal favorites:

Yaluma Shiraz 2005 (a small amount of viognier is in this wine) Somehow, they atill have quite a bit of the 2005 available, at $12. Very tasty wine.

Dry Creek whites - I can almost always find at least one white varietal at the grocery store for under $15. Never a bad deal, and often a great deal.

Fresh & Easy carries some good values, most under $15.00. Some real drek, too, with many of there $5 and under bottles, but we have found a couple of good every day drinkers.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Agree on the Dry Creek whites

If you prefer French cheap whites to California (I usually do), you can find a variety of Macon-Villages, St. Veran white Burgandies, and Cotes du Rhone Villages whites from reputable shippers for under $15 on the East coast, and Muscadet (Loire) is almost always under $15 (the best are sometimes right around $15).

For reds, Cotes du Rhone Villages from excellent shippers are under $15 and often respectable Chianti (but not Classico or Riserva) can be had for under $15. Sometimes simple Burgundies can be had for $15.

Cheap California reds are a better value, generally, than cheap California whites.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

An interesting thought for those buying Old World wines- buying by the back label. It's how I shop, and it rarely steers me wrong.

When you find a(n international) bottle or two that you love - look at the back label and see who imports it. You'll soon find importers whose tastes match up with yours, and you can then find other bottles that match your profile. A great way to navigate a bargain bin, or unfamiliar regions.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

inkycatz

beefytaco wrote:An interesting thought for those buying Old World wines- buying by the back label. It's how I shop, and it rarely steers me wrong.

When you find a(n international) bottle or two that you love - look at the back label and see who imports it. You'll soon find importers whose tastes match up with yours, and you can then find other bottles that match your profile. A great way to navigate a bargain bin, or unfamiliar regions.

That's a tremendous tip!

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
beefytaco wrote:An interesting thought for those buying Old World wines- buying by the back label. It's how I shop, and it rarely steers me wrong.

It's always important with imported wine to know the shipper and/or importer. Not only for matters of similar taste, but for their particular interests and focus and reputation for quality and consistency.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!