cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

DETAILS
DATE: October 20, 2012
TIME: 12:00pm
THEME: The Last Hurrah
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions) - Metro Detroit Area

Well, not selling the condo, but I am moving out in February. HAK & I are getting married next year (!) and I'll be heading out to the east coast. Which means this is it! For realz this time!

The Last Hurrah - bring a wine you would drink to celebrate a turn of chapter in your life. Something special. Depending on response, I plan to open either my 89 Corison, a Turley PS or a Kronos.

Also, as usual, the cellar will be open for sales. Check out the CT link in my signature and make some offers.

Bring a dish to pass

ATTENDEES:
1. cheron98
2. HAK
3. the zombie slayer
4. the slayer's girl
5. the baker
6. the wordsmith
7. the little momma
8. the teacher
9. tommythecat
10. she who needs a nickname
11. ddeuddeg
12. bahwm

MAYBES:
1. North316
2. North316 +1

SPECIAL CAMEO APPEARANCES:
1. the old man & his hat
2. the hobbit
3. the Fighter

REGRETS:
1. theomach
2. TMR
- anyone who misses this one!

Fun Stuff
Random Door Prize!
Silent Auctions!
Monkies!

Menu
Sausage & Peppers
Chocolate Fountain w/fruit and cake
Baked Apples
Coffee & Biscotti

Wine
1. 2005 Iron Horse T-Bar-T Cabernet Franc
2. 1989 Corison Cabernet
3. 2006 Iron Horse Brut Rose
4. '04, '05, '06, '07 Domaine Carneros by Taittinger vertical
5. Iron Horse BDX-3

What are YOU bringing?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cheron98 wrote:DETAILS
DATE: October 20, 2012
TIME: 12:00pm
THEME: The Last Hurrah
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions) - Metro Detroit Area

Well, not selling the condo, but I am moving out in February. HAK & I are getting married next year (!) and I'll be heading out to the east coast. Which means this is it! For realz this time!

The Last Hurrah - bring a wine you would drink to celebrate a turn of chapter in your life. Something special. Depending on response, I plan to open either my 89 Corison, a Turley PS or a Kronos.

Also, as usual, the cellar will be open for sales. Check out the CT link in my signature and make some offers.

Bring a dish to pass

ATTENDEES:
1. cheron98

MAYBES:
-

REGRETS:
- anyone who misses this one!

Menu
Champagne-infused strawberries

Put me down as a Maybe +1. Should be good timing with my schedule and only an hour away.

Don't have much on the high-end right now, but might be able to bring a Jana Cathedral or some Iron Horse, unless I get something better between now and then.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98

North316 wrote:Put me down as a Maybe +1. Should be good timing with my schedule and only an hour away.

Don't have much on the high-end right now, but might be able to bring a Jana Cathedral or some Iron Horse, unless I get something better between now and then.

Yay, I was hoping to see you bite on this one, knowing you're so close

cheron98

I had a TMR sighting today. He might be coming. Muahaha.

cheron98

*boost*

cheron98

Guest list updated.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Muahaha.

I heard this morning that this had made the OED's official list of new words.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:I heard this morning that this had made the OED's official list of new words.

Nice!

cheron98

*bump*

cheron98

Added some fun stuff to the top post.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

C'mon Wooters.....you know you want to come. So get your fingers a-typin' and post your reply that you will be attending.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:C'mon Wooters.....you know you want to come. So get your fingers a-typin' and post your reply that you will be attending.

OK, 10/20 is now looking like a possibility. Put us down as maybes. What happened to TtheC? I don't see his name anywhere.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:OK, 10/20 is now looking like a possibility. Put us down as maybes. What happened to TtheC? I don't see his name anywhere.

I don't know if he's seen the thread. I'll probably text him this week if he doesn't appear here

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:I don't know if he's seen the thread. I'll probably text him this week if he doesn't appear here

This being the last hurrah by itself meant that there was no way I was going to miss this. But now I see that Cat and HAK are engaged (CONGRATS YOU GUYS!!!), and a long lost wine.wooter has their name on the maybe list! To top it off, Bam and DDog might make it! You would have to physically restrain me to keep me from showing up for this one.

In other words, yes, Silvia and I will be attending.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:This being the last hurrah by itself meant that there was no way I was going to miss this. But now I see that Cat and HAK are engaged (CONGRATS YOU GUYS!!!), and a long lost wine.wooter has their name on the maybe list! To top it off, Bam and DDog might make it! You would have to physically restrain me to keep me from showing up for this one.

In other words, yes, Silvia and I will be attending.

Excellent

Be prepared to surrender your key that weekend And seriously, you didn't see the whole engagement thing when it was all the rage in July? Seriously? Dude, get out from under your rock!

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:The Last Hurrah - bring a wine you would drink to celebrate a turn of chapter in your life. Something special.

Would the '04, '05, '06, '07 Domaine Carneros by Taittinger vertical be special enough?

ddeuddeg

tommythecat78 wrote:To top it off, Bam and DDog might make it! You would have to physically restrain me to keep me from showing up for this one.

Very kind words. Didn't know we'd generate that much excitement. Room is booked. We'll be there.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Unfortunately, we are most likely no's. The wife works both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend. I'll let you know if anything changes.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Would the '04, '05, '06, '07 Domaine Carneros by Taittinger vertical be special enough?

If that was all we had all evening, it would be amazing enough (So, yes.) Shall I move you to the definites?

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Very kind words. Didn't know we'd generate that much excitement. Room is booked. We'll be there.

So, yes. Moving to definites.

cheron98

North316 wrote:Unfortunately, we are most likely no's. The wife works both Saturday and Sunday of that weekend. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Oh noes!

Come without her

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:If that was all we had all evening, it would be amazing enough (So, yes.) Shall I move you to the definites?

OK, so I booked a room for Saturday night. Then I looked at the beginning post, and it says noon, and I'm thinking NOON? Is she INSANE? Now you're talking about evening. Getting to Detroit from Buffalo by noon is a little problematical, if we're going to enjoy ourselves when we get there. We could drive in Friday night, sleep in a bit, and get to your place by noon, but we're not really going to want to drive all the way home after the festivities, so that means another night at the hotel. This is not a problem, as long as we know the plan. We're looking forward to this.

tommythecat78

ddeuddeg wrote:Would the '04, '05, '06, '07 Domaine Carneros by Taittinger vertical be special enough?

:drool:

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

ddeuddeg

tommythecat78 wrote::drool:

Exactly the reaction I had in mind.

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:OK, so I booked a room for Saturday night. Then I looked at the beginning post, and it says noon, and I'm thinking NOON? Is she INSANE? Now you're talking about evening. Getting to Detroit from Buffalo by noon is a little problematical, if we're going to enjoy ourselves when we get there. We could drive in Friday night, sleep in a bit, and get to your place by noon, but we're not really going to want to drive all the way home after the festivities, so that means another night at the hotel. This is not a problem, as long as we know the plan. We're looking forward to this.

Awaiting a response to enable making appropriate reservations.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Well, according to one of the notes on her FB event page for this, she says "House opens around noon, come when you want, stay til you want."

I highly doubt much of anything will start right at noon. Knowing her friends and various other people attending....very few people will be "on time" for a noon arrival. And I'm sure most of the early drinking will be mostly refreshing whites to sip while waiting for everyone else to arrive and for the more substantial food to be eaten. Or something like that.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well, according to one of the notes on her FB event page for this, she says "House opens around noon, come when you want, stay til you want."

I highly doubt much of anything will start right at noon. Knowing her friends and various other people attending....very few people will be "on time" for a noon arrival. And I'm sure most of the early drinking will be mostly refreshing whites to sip while waiting for everyone else to arrive and for the more substantial food to be eaten. Or something like that.

^^^ this.

House opens at noon. I've been doing this for the past few gatherings so that people can feel free to mosey on in whenever. Especially since I have a bunch of local friends coming and I know how they all are - if I were to say "We start at 5" people wouldn't show up until 7. So I open the house at noon, and then MAYBE everyone will be there by 5ish

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:^^^ this.

House opens at noon. I've been doing this for the past few gatherings so that people can feel free to mosey on in whenever. Especially since I have a bunch of local friends coming and I know how they all are - if I were to say "We start at 5" people wouldn't show up until 7. So I open the house at noon, and then MAYBE everyone will be there by 5ish

I think this helps, but not sure. If we leave Buffalo by 10, we should be at your place between 3 and 4. We'd hate to have you and HAK sitting around by yourselves all that time, so we may just add another night at the hotel and get there earlier. It would be a bit more relaxing weekend that way, and we'll probably want that by then.
Don't know about a dish to pass, that could be tricky, we may just have to pick up something at TJ's.
I see you have some old ('05, '06) TO Viognier, with CT suggesting they may be past prime. How about if I buy one of those and we open it that day?

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:I think this helps, but not sure. If we leave Buffalo by 10, we should be at your place between 3 and 4. We'd hate to have you and HAK sitting around by yourselves all that time, so we may just add another night at the hotel and get there earlier. It would be a bit more relaxing weekend that way, and we'll probably want that by then.
Don't know about a dish to pass, that could be tricky, we may just have to pick up something at TJ's.
I see you have some old ('05, '06) TO Viognier, with CT suggesting they may be past prime. How about if I buy one of those and we open it that day?

Ah, I see, you were looking for justification from the enablers to stay an extra night. Got it

The '05/06 TO Viognier is certainly not past its prime - sanity opened some up in Vegas this year and it was beautiful. TO was selling them off touting how well they were holding up, so I got a bunch. You may certainly buy one (or more) to be opened (or taken home).

Just not the Canterbury Vineyards ones. That was a mistake and I really need to dump them.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Ah, I see, you were looking for justification from the enablers to stay an extra night. Got it

The '05/06 TO Viognier is certainly not past its prime - sanity opened some up in Vegas this year and it was beautiful. TO was selling them off touting how well they were holding up, so I got a bunch. You may certainly buy one (or more) to be opened (or taken home).

Just not the Canterbury Vineyards ones. That was a mistake and I really need to dump them.

This thread had fallen onto the second page. We can't have that.
So, we booked another night at the Hampton, and we'll be arriving late Friday night, sleeping in on Saturday morning, and wandering over to your place sometime in the afternoon. We'll make sure the bubbly is well chilled.
Is the Canterbury Vineyards Viognier really that awful? I'm surprised el jefe would allow that.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:This thread had fallen onto the second page. We can't have that.
So, we booked another night at the Hampton, and we'll be arriving late Friday night, sleeping in on Saturday morning, and wandering over to your place sometime in the afternoon. We'll make sure the bubbly is well chilled.
Is the Canterbury Vineyards Viognier really that awful? I'm surprised el jefe would allow that.

I think it may have been good at release but it just did not age well. Unless you like to drink furniture polish, because that's all it tastes like now. It really is that bad. I got a call from TO after the order shipped frantically telling me not to drink it, that they sent the wrong stuff and the right stuff was coming, but the wrong stuff was just really wrong. Naturally I had to try it. I can never undrink that.

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Going to Stratford, Ont this weekend. Thinking about Northville. Getting my weekends mixed up. Ugh!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

Tommy, when are you planning on coming in and do you want the room? Don't forget your key, I need it back

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Tommy, when are you planning on coming in and do you want the room? Don't forget your key, I need it back

No worries about the key...it is on my keyring.

Definitely want the room. It is mine after all. I will be leaving either early Friday morning or later that night. I will know better closer to the event. It will depend on if Silvia is coming or not.

ddeuddeg

tommythecat78 wrote:It will depend on if Silvia is coming or not.

IF!? EEK!

tommythecat78

ddeuddeg wrote:IF!? EEK!

Yeah, currently having some issues with the whole relationship thing.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:Yeah, currently having some issues with the whole relationship thing.

What did you do? Bad Cat!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:What did you do? Bad Cat!!!

I'm thinking someone's looking for a ring...

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:I'm thinking someone's looking for a ring...

Not the case at all.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 186 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:Not the case at all.

Silvia's Mother?

Edit: And TMR might be there? Dang birthday celebration for sis and new niece!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.