WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Winter’s Hill Vineyard

Like the ant said to the grasshopper: the time to plan is in advance. Stock up on these tasty wintery Pinots right now and you'll have plenty of time to relax as the seasons begin to change. The frost is on the pumpkin seed, after all.
Winter's Hill Vineyard official site

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I've heard say that Oregon wines are quite tasty. What is it about the Oregon grape that makes it different?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Cesare

quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare

Winter’s Hill Vineyard

Winter’s Hill 2006 Pinot Noir Cuvée du Vigneron 3-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $117.00) 36% off List Price
2006 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir Cuvée du Vigneron Dundee Hills, Oregon

Winter’s Hill 2006 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$67.99 (Normally $102.00) 33% off List Price
2006 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir Dundee Hills, Oregon

Winter's Hill 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $120.00) 33% off List Price
2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Winter's Hill Oregon Pinot Noir Sampler 4-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $113.00) 34% off List Price
2006 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir Cuvée du Vigneron Dundee Hills, Oregon
2006 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir Dundee Hills, Oregon
2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Previous offer:
5/28/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:I've heard say that Oregon wines are quite tasty. What is it about the Oregon grape that makes it different?

As it is with all vineyards it's all about location and vine selection. Matching the correct varietal and rootstock to the land you have taking into account sun exposure, sea breeze and day time/ night time high lows. And then there is soil and farming techniques, it goes on and on. But to sum it all up. Wineries in Oregon have discovered that their climate is wonderful for Pinot noir.

CT

cwc22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22

I was a bit unreasonably grumpy on the forums on here last time after the tasting room was closed on the day of their Woot so I couldn't go and try it, and I should now make amends since I've now had both the 2006 Dundee Hills (took me by surprise -- very good!) and the 2009 Willamette Valley (a nice Pinot for that price? wow!), and am impressed.

In for a bunch of the Dundee Hills and a few of the Cuvée du Vigneron that I haven't tried yet, but I'm willing to chance it since Winter's Hill clearly know what they're doing. Very glad to see them back on here this morning.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

These guys make gorgeous PN. This is one of our favorites that we visit on our yearly trip to WV. I cannot get into specifics as I rarely take tasting notes, but if I had money or space, I would buy this deal out!

The property is amazingly beautiful with plenty of tall trees around the tasting room and residence. We have a picture we took from there hanging in our house.

CT Updating, please wait....

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I'm glad I haven't had the time to taste the previous wooting. Otherwise I might be in trouble.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

fredbowling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredbowling

Apparently no shipping to GA. Can someone from woot or the winery verify this? Hate to miss out on what sounds like a good pinot...

GaDawg

ThunderThighs

Staff

fredbowling wrote:Apparently no shipping to GA. Can someone from woot or the winery verify this? Hate to miss out on what sounds like a good pinot...

If you look at the May 28th sale, GA wasn't on that list either. Looks like the winery hasn't obtained licensing for GA yet. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:I've heard say that Oregon wines are quite tasty. What is it about the Oregon grape that makes it different?

Oregon Pinot Noir to be specific. PN is notoriously hard to grow and produce. Willamette Valley has an ideal growing setting for Pinot Noir. Think dirt covered cherries.. yum..

wintershillvineyard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard

Russell from Winter's Hill here. It is great to hear from folks who have already enjoyed our wines.
Today I am looking out at a perfect summer afternoon for Pinot noir. High 80's with a breeze starting to pick up from the coast. That is a big part of what makes this a good place to grow Pinot noir: Warm days to ripen the fruit, and cool nights to preserve the acidity structure make a wine that you can put away in the cellar for a few years.
I'm happy to answer any questions about our vineyards or winemaking style.
Cheers!

wintershillvineyard

fredbowling wrote:Apparently no shipping to GA. Can someone from woot or the winery verify this? Hate to miss out on what sounds like a good pinot...

Sorry about that. Shipping rules and regulations are one of the toughest challenges to operating a small winery.

wintershillvineyard

cwc22 wrote:I was a bit unreasonably grumpy on the forums on here last time after the tasting room was closed on the day of their Woot so I couldn't go and try it, and I should now make amends since I've now had both the 2006 Dundee Hills (took me by surprise -- very good!) and the 2009 Willamette Valley (a nice Pinot for that price? wow!), and am impressed.

In for a bunch of the Dundee Hills and a few of the Cuvée du Vigneron that I haven't tried yet, but I'm willing to chance it since Winter's Hill clearly know what they're doing. Very glad to see them back on here this morning.

I'm glad you have had the chance to taste our 2006's. Did you come out to visit the winery?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

wintershillvineyard wrote:Russell from Winter's Hill here. It is great to hear from folks who have already enjoyed our wines.
Today I am looking out at a perfect summer afternoon for Pinot noir. High 80's with a breeze starting to pick up from the coast. That is a big part of what makes this a good place to grow Pinot noir: Warm days to ripen the fruit, and cool nights to preserve the acidity structure make a wine that you can put away in the cellar for a few years.
I'm happy to answer any questions about our vineyards or winemaking style.
Cheers!

Welcome Russell! Happy to once again feature your Oregon Pinots here on Woot!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Still learning to like PN's. Can I get some comments on the differences, QPR, between the Dundee three and the Willamette six?

CT

cwc22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwc22
wintershillvineyard wrote:I'm glad you have had the chance to taste our 2006's. Did you come out to visit the winery?

I did, but got to the end of the driveway to a sign saying "closed". It wasn't a totally wasted visit though as your neighbors were nice, and based on the quality of their wine, I bought some of yours!

I'm very interested to learn a bit more about your winemaking process, since I'm very good friends with a local amateur, if you have time to share anything. Do you do whole cluster fermentation, or pump overs? Do you pull any of the juice out for rose?

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
rjquillin wrote:Still learning to like PN's. Can I get some comments on the differences, QPR, between the Dundee three and the Willamette six?

See winery's response below.

CT Updating, please wait....

wintershillvineyard

rjquillin wrote:Still learning to like PN's. Can I get some comments on the differences, QPR, between the Dundee three and the Willamette six?

All of these wines are from our estate vineyards, and Delphine uses the same hands-on winemaking techniques. When it is time to bottle the Willamette Valley Pinot noir, Delphine selects the barrels that are more approachable and ready to enjoy earlier in their development. The Dundee Hills Pinot noir receives a few more months in barrel, and those wines have more structure and aging potential.

wintershillvineyard

cwc22 wrote:I did, but got to the end of the driveway to a sign saying "closed". It wasn't a totally wasted visit though as your neighbors were nice, and based on the quality of their wine, I bought some of yours!

I'm very interested to learn a bit more about your winemaking process, since I'm very good friends with a local amateur, if you have time to share anything. Do you do whole cluster fermentation, or pump overs? Do you pull any of the juice out for rose?

We use a pretty traditional winemaking process. All of our fruit is destemmed and fermented in small open tanks that hold 1.5 tons of fruit. We punch down by hand several times per day, more frequently at the peak of fementation activity. In some cases we prefer to pump-over, it just depends on the vintage.
We do make a Rosé of Pinot noir, however we do not pull any juice out of our regular Pinot noir fermentations. Instead we harvest some Pinot noir specifically for our Rose. That fruit is allowed to macerate over night, then we press and discard the skins.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
wintershillvineyard wrote:We use a pretty traditional winemaking process. All of our fruit is destemmed and fermented in small open tanks that hold 1.5 tons of fruit. We punch down by hand several times per day, more frequently at the peak of fementation activity. In some cases we prefer to pump-over, it just depends on the vintage.
We do make a Rosé of Pinot noir, however we do not pull any juice out of our regular Pinot noir fermentations. Instead we harvest some Pinot noir specifically for our Rose. That fruit is allowed to macerate over night, then we press and discard the skins.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bravo for making your rosé the right way!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

wintershillvineyard

klezman wrote:Bravo for making your rosé the right way!

Thanks!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Thanks to Winter's Hill for their participation. I'm in on the mixed 4-pack and looking forward to trying them!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:Thanks to Winter's Hill for their participation. I'm in on the mixed 4-pack and looking forward to trying them!

I'm considering this one as well.

And thanks to WD and friends for offering mixed packs on all the recent Woot+ deals. It is making them a lot more difficult to pass up.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

delphe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages delphe

Hello,
Delphine from Winter's hill here, I've been making theses wines for 8 years now. I am always happy to hear how much you like the wines but also having some feed back help me improve them.
So if anyone have any question, I'll be happy to answer them.
Thank you
Delphine.

chipgreen

chipgreen wrote:Thanks to Winter's Hill for their participation. I'm in on the mixed 4-pack and looking forward to trying them!

Order Status = "Cancelled".

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot?

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:Order Status = "Cancelled".

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot?

Hmmm, email service@woot.com so they can figure out what happened.

FORUM MODERATOR

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:Hmmm, email service@woot.com so they can figure out what happened.

Thanks TT, I did that and they responded that OH was not supposed to be on the ship-to list although I looked at the Winter's Hill website and they claim to ship to OH so who knows..... but I got a refund and a coupon code so I guess it's all good.