WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Lang Wines

I'm not judging, I'm just making an observation. You've had 13 cars, 4 dogs and 7 husbands all within the last six months. And you changed your outfit 11 times before landing on that. Just do yourself a favor and buy one of each of these wines. I wouldn’t want your head exploding from the pressure of making a decision.
Lang Wines official site

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Lang Wines is a popular wine on Wine.Woot. Care to share your thoughts on these or previous wines?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Winedavid39

quality posts: 203 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Don't buy all the barbera.. i may have to snag one of those verticals.

continually,pleasantly surprised by Lang.

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Lang Wines
Lang Wines Red Sampler 6-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $117.00) 32% off List Price
2006 Reserve Zinfandel
2008 Sausalito Zinfandel
2007 Barbera, Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards
2008 Barbera, Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards
2007 Lang Wines Syrah
2010 Lang Wines Zinfandel, Amador County

Lang Wines 2006 Reserve Zinfandel 4-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $100.00) 40% off List Price
2006 Lang Wines Reserve Zinfandel

Lang Wines 2008 Sausalito Zinfandel 5-Pack
$67.99 (Normally $105.00) 35% off List Price
2008 Sausalito Zinfandel

Lang Wines Barbera Mini-Vertical 6-Pack
$72.99 (Normally $114.00) 36% off List Price
2007 Lang Wines Amador County Barbera – Oakmont Vineyards
2008 Lang Wines Amador County Barbera – Oakmont Vineyards

Lang Wines 2007 Syrah 6-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $84.00) 23% off List Price
2007 Lang Wines Syrah

Lang Wines 2009 Sauvignon Blanc 6-Pack
$67.99 (Normally $90.00) 24% off List Price
2009 Lang Wines Sauvignon Blanc

Lang Wines 2007 Dessert Wine Aprés 4-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $84.00) 29% off List Price
2007 Lang Wines Dessert Wine, Aprés 750ml

Previous offers:
11/8/11
4/17/12
6/17/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Never had any of their wines. The sampler looks awesome though and the SB looks good as well. If I didn't already have too much wine I might go in for them. Darn!

CT

rock1717

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rock1717

I bought the sampler back in January and remember enjoying the Sausalito Zinfandel the most. I don't recall exactly why, but I think I'll grab a Sausalito five pack.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Way overstocked on the 2007 Barbara, but could use more of the '06 and '08.
Anyone want some '07 and not the '08?

Anyone got notes on the Syrah?

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

If anybody wants to share some Barbera or Après, I'm in for a bottle or two of each. So don't have any room for more, but these guys keep coming back so I figure it's good stuff and I like Amador fruit.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
Winedavid39 wrote:Don't buy all the barbera.. i may have to snag one of those verticals.

continually,pleasantly surprised by Lang.

Like Pedroncelli, Lang has crazy good QPR even before you work your magic with them.

I already have 91 bottles pending (including my rpm wines) but am really tempted to stock up on some more Langs, especially those full-sized "Aprés!" Port-ish dessert wines @ $15/bottle. 50% more Port for half the price, are you kidding me? That's a 3x better deal than you'll get just about anywhere else.

I'm also very tempted by the WV PNs in the other + deal. Goodbye money, I barely knew thee....

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:

"Aprés!"

You should drink one of your bottles in the next 2 days to let me know if I should buy this or not.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

langwine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages langwine

Hello Wooters!

First off, Marsha and I would like to shout out a sincere thank you to all you wooters who participated in Lang Wines' previous woots, purchased our wines and provided (mostly) gratifying comments.

We were winegrowers for 25-years; together with two other airline pilot families, we fenced and cleared the land, planted and established Twin Rivers Vineyards in El Dorado County. Hard work, yes, but very rewarding. Our first wine, a 1983 El Dorado County Zinfandel, was a gold medal winner at the 1985 Orange County Fair Wine Competion (fortunately, we kept our day jobs). We learned that great wines begin with the very best grapes; world-wide, those superior grapes are most often found in small, family-owned vineyards where the 'owner's shadow'(and his sweat) is always in the vineyard.

In the picturesque gold-country valleys of California's historic Sierra Foothills above 1500 feet elevation, family owned and tended vineyards are the norm. Vines here are planted in small, often irregular, hillside plots of five to forty-acres, where deep, granite-based soils, cool nights and warm days produce winegrapes that make wines with a readily identifiable sense of place.

Lang Wines mission, together with winemaker Mark McKenna, is to find the exceptional vineyards from amongst the merely very good and bring well-deserved attention to the owner-growers whose dedicated efforts make the excellence of our wines possible.

Both Mark and I will be checking in on Woot from time to time over the next few days to follow the Woot conversation; we look forward to responding to your questions, comments and critique.

Bob & Marsha Lang

chipgreen

North316 wrote:You should drink one of your bottles in the next 2 days to let me know if I should buy this or not.

I'm planning to do exactly that, possibly this evening.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

langwine wrote:Hello Wooters!

First off, Marsha and I would like to shout out a sincere thank you to all you wooters who participated in Lang Wines' previous woots, purchased our wines and provided (mostly) gratifying comments.

Marsha and I were winegrowers for 25-years; together with two other airline pilot families, we fenced and cleared the land, planted and established Twin Rivers Vineyards in El Dorado County. Hard work, yes, but very rewarding. Our first wine, a 1983 El Dorado County Zinfandel, was a gold medal winner at the 1985 Orange County Fair Wine Competion (fortunately, we kept our day jobs). We learned that great wines begin with the very best grapes; world-wide, those superior grapes are most often found in small, family-owned vineyards where the 'owner's shadow'(and his sweat) is always in the vineyard.

In the gold-country valleys of California's historic Sierra Foothills above 1500 feet elevation, family owned and tended vineyards are the norm. Vines here are planted in small, often irregular, hillside plots of five to forty-acres, where deep, granite-based soils, cool nights and warm days produce winegrapes that make wines with a readily identifiable sense of place.

Lang Wines mission, together with winemaker Mark McKenna, is to find the exceptional vineyards from amongst the merely very good and bring well-deserved attention to the owner-growers whose dedicated efforts make the excellence of our wines possible.

Both Mark and I will be checking in on Woot from time to time over the next few days to follow the Woot conversation; we look forward to responding to your questions, comments and critique.

Bob & Marsha Lang

Welcome Bob Lang! Thanks for joining us... your Barberas are legendary around this office!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Quasi lab report on the 2007 Barbera

I had planned to ooen a Lang from the previous offer today and itjust happens to be offered for the next few days! Wife and I have enjoyed the Barberas and I beoieve this is my lst bottle form the vertical offering in the spring

Nose: dark berries, vanilla, A bit of mexican chocolate. Kinda reminds me of a dry creek zinfandel.

Taste: pop n pour- a bit hot bu can definitley taste some bramble, cocoa dust, some vanilla and whAt reminds me of chocoLate covered cherry candy, mAybe? Medium to full bodied. Delicious though a bit alcoholic. Tanninns are sweet and the wine comes across as balanced and Well structured. Wife saysshe tastes some fig and finds it to be chewy... Ill let it mellow and get back

Sorry if im a bit all over the plAce but i dont usually share wine notes

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

30 minutes after opening alcohol completely gone! Very smooth and food friendly...i may have to back off the dArk berries....feel like im getting raspberries and dark cherries...regardless, extremely enjoyable even with orange chicken, brown rice, and baby broccoli!

chipgreen

North316 wrote:You should drink one of your bottles in the next 2 days to let me know if I should buy this or not.

My CT review (83): Dirty plum color, skinny legs. Nose of alcohol, figs, molasses and butternut squash. Hot with figs, molasses and toffee on the entry, subdued middle with a thin mouthfeel but nice acid bite on the medium finish. A good inexpensive introduction to port-like wine or a mid-week non-guilty pleasure. No special occasion required!

EDIT: I'm good for another bottle or two if you want to purchase...

markmckenna

quality posts: 5 Private Messages markmckenna

Having had the pleasure (and often adventure) of making these wines for nearly 10 years I have to say these are smoking deals for wines of this quality. We have worked over the years to make wines that drink easy and yet have the classic characteristics of great Amador wines. Not the biggest wines around, but, the new Amador style - balanced, complex, and delicious. Glad to answer any specific questions!

Mark McKenna, Winemaker

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

How is the mouthfeel of the syrah? I tend to really like chewy/velvety syrahs.

I'm debating between the syrah, one of the zinfandels, or the sampler.

rjquillin

phidan wrote:How is the mouthfeel of the syrah? I tend to really like chewy/velvety syrahs.

Ditto, got free shipping for another three hours and need to decide what else.

Just found my Aprés and chilled it down. $15 for 750 is crazy good QPR for this. Four more coming.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

I was worried about this review until I went back and found it was for the Après.

chipgreen wrote:My CT review (83): Dirty plum color, skinny legs. Nose of alcohol, figs, molasses and butternut squash. Hot with figs, molasses and toffee on the entry, subdued middle with a thin mouthfeel but nice acid bite on the medium finish. A good inexpensive introduction to port-like wine or a mid-week non-guilty pleasure. No special occasion required!

EDIT: I'm good for another bottle or two if you want to purchase...

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

chipgreen

UBlink wrote:I was worried about this review until I went back and found it was for the Après.

Yes, sorry... the fact that it was the Après kind of got lost in the shuffle of posts.

I also had the Sausalito Zin as part of a sampler set and enjoyed it enough to buy 5 more bottles. No official tasting notes but it's fruit forward without being jammy or sweet. Very smooth drinking Zin with some nice spice/pepper on the finish.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:Ditto, got free shipping for another three hours and need to decide what else.

Just found my Aprés and chilled it down. $15 for 750 is crazy good QPR for this. Four more coming.

Any tasting notes to share?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Any tasting notes to share?

While I learned more than I could imagine on the tours, writing notes for me is still quite elusive; save for like/dislike. Therefore, I'm going to endorse ChipGreen's CT tasting note, with a few comments. I'm not getting all that much alcohol, and I don't eat squash. A profile of riper fruit and smoother mouth feel and more ripe fruit than the Graham below.

The Land is only slightly simpler than either the N.V. Graham Porto Six Grapes Reserve or N.V. Fonseca Porto Bin 27 available from Costco for similar price. The Graham I have open and can compare to isn't as 'dirty', has considerably more alcohol on both the nose and tongue, has a bit more bite on the tongue with a bit of wood and slightly drying tannic finish.

Given the nearly identical pricing, I'd opt for the Lang, and now that I've directly compared, may grab another set of four.

edit:

OK, it's my 63rd today, so I broke out some 2005 Quinta do Noval unfiltered late bottled single vineyard porto.

Yes, has the complexity lacking in the other two, at only a slightly higher tariff.

CT

surfallot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages surfallot

No New Hampshire shipping? I have order Lang several times with no problem. Why has the shipping changed now? Help!!! I want to order a few of these

ThunderThighs

Staff

surfallot wrote:No New Hampshire shipping? I have order Lang several times with no problem. Why has the shipping changed now? Help!!! I want to order a few of these

Hmmmmm, let me check on that.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

surfallot

Thanks would love to be able to order a few. Im very low on Lang at the moment!

ThunderThighs wrote:Hmmmmm, let me check on that.

surfallot

Here is a previous offering that shipped to NH

http://wine.woot.com/offers/lang-amador-county-barbera-vertical

surfallot wrote:Thanks would love to be able to order a few. Im very low on Lang at the moment!

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:While I learned more than I could imagine on the tours, writing notes for me is still quite elusive; save for like/dislike. Therefore, I'm going to endorse ChipGreen's CT tasting note, with a few comments. I'm not getting all that much alcohol, and I don't eat squash. A profile of riper fruit and smoother mouth feel and more ripe fruit than the Graham below.

I almost put down "stewed carrots" instead of or in addition to "butternut squash". I'm still learning how to describe smells/tastes myself (and my +1 still hasn't returned my official rpm tour aroma wheel!).

rjquillin wrote:OK, it's my 63rd today, so I broke out some 2005 Quinta do Noval unfiltered late bottled single vineyard porto.

Happy Birthday!

losthighwayz

I ahven heard back form winery about the Syrah...I oredered the Barbera last night (love it) but could not bring myself to Syrah because I am not sure about its tasting notes. Any info? Thanks!

ThunderThighs

Staff

surfallot wrote:No New Hampshire shipping? I have order Lang several times with no problem. Why has the shipping changed now? Help!!! I want to order a few of these

Haven't forgotten you but I haven't been able to get hold of someone yet either.

FORUM MODERATOR

Winedavid39

quality posts: 203 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

No New Hampshire this time.

Sorry

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:If anybody wants to share some Barbera or Après, I'm in for a bottle or two of each. So don't have any room for more, but these guys keep coming back so I figure it's good stuff and I like Amador fruit.

I wouldn't mind a couple of bottles of the Barbera either. Is it too late for a 3-way?

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

phidan

losthighwayz wrote:I ahven heard back form winery about the Syrah...I oredered the Barbera last night (love it) but could not bring myself to Syrah because I am not sure about its tasting notes. Any info? Thanks!

ditto

langwine

phidan wrote:How is the mouthfeel of the syrah? I tend to really like chewy/velvety syrahs.

Our 2007 Syrah has benefitted from two addirional years of bottle-age. When young, Syrah is known for its firm texture (chewy), pronounced structure and an angularity between dark fruit flavors and significant tannins; hence Syrah ages well, as is typical of the wines of France's Rhone Valley, Hermitage, Cotes du Rhone and Chateau Neuf du Pape (And also Australia's Shiraz). Bottle-age has softened this Syrah's structure somewhat, and mellowed the tannins as the various components blend, merge and marry into a fine, well-aged Syrah.

phidan

langwine wrote:Our 2007 Syrah has benefitted from two addirional years of bottle-age. When young, Syrah is known for its firm texture (chewy), pronounced structure and an angularity between dark fruit flavors and significant tannins; hence Syrah ages well, as is typical of the wines of France's Rhone Valley, Hermitage, Cotes du Rhone and Chateau Neuf du Pape (And also Australia's Shiraz). Bottle-age has softened this Syrah's structure somewhat, and mellowed the tannins as the various components blend, merge and marry into a fine, well-aged Syrah.

damn...you're gonna make me go broke

surfallot

bummer thanks, why does it change order to order?

Winedavid39 wrote:No New Hampshire this time.

Sorry

langwine

In answer to a question that hasn't been asked...

Our 2008 Sausalito Wines Zinfandel is the same wine as in our Lang Wines 2008 Zinfandel, but with the addition of 5% Petite Sirah. PS by itself is a powerful wine, contributing, even in small amounts, dense color, good acid, and, when properly ripened, lends a very Zinfandel compatible blackberry flavor component; we'll likely continue to add some small amounts of Petite Sirah to more of our Zinfandels.

Marsha and I lived in Sausalito when we began growing grapes and began making wine; our company was logically called Sausalito Wines. It is there while sailing that we met artist George Sumner and his wife Donnalei who doubles as his manager. He is well lknown in the bay-area, the West and Hawaii and has evolved into an environmental and Marine impressionist now contributing to a worldwide campaign to "Save the Whales." The label for our 'special bottling' of this 2008 Sausalito Wines Zinfandel is George's painting called "Sail Away." If you look closely at the artwork, you can see homes on the Sausalito waterfront with the coastal hills rising vertically up to the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge...majestic! (But I suppose you'd have to buy the wine to see the label up close).

Oh yeah, we think the wine is pretty darn good, too!

pmiller3357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmiller3357
langwine wrote:Hello Wooters!

We were winegrowers for 25-years; together with two other airline pilot families, we fenced and cleared the land, planted and established Twin Rivers Vineyards in El Dorado County. Hard work, yes, but very rewarding. Our first wine, a 1983 El Dorado County Zinfandel, was a gold medal winner at the 1985 Orange County Fair Wine Competion (fortunately, we kept our day jobs). We learned that great wines begin with the very best grapes; world-wide, those superior grapes are most often found in small, family-owned vineyards where the 'owner's shadow'(and his sweat) is always in the vineyard.

In the picturesque gold-country valleys of California's historic Sierra Foothills above 1500 feet elevation, family owned and tended vineyards are the norm. Vines here are planted in small, often irregular, hillside plots of five to forty-acres, where deep, granite-based soils, cool nights and warm days produce winegrapes that make wines with a readily identifiable sense of place.

Bob & Marsha Lang

I was a little disappointed in the amount of screw cap bottles in this sampler. I really don't like to buy wines with screw caps and tend to not even try them when I see them in the store. There's so much more romance in a cork ....