jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson

I also noticed that on Invino, they are offering 2008 C.G. Di Arie Zinfandel, Sierra Foothills, Amador County for $13.99/bottle. His wines have been on wine woot before. Anyone tried this one?

ajrod27

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ajrod27
cmaldoon wrote:A NorCal local retailer: BP wine has a set of inexpensive and highly rated sherries up for sale. I am wondering if any of the other bay area locals want any? (Bservern... Joatmon (if you can stomach sherries along side your madierias...) They have flat rate $9 shipping for 1-12 bottles anywhere in the US. I'd just love to spread that among more than just a set of 3 for me.

Here are the wines:

Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado Peninsula

Emilio Lustau East India Solera

Emilio Lustau Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserve

I will take a set. Sherries are something I would be interested in learning more about.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
jmdavidson wrote:I also noticed that on Invino, they are offering 2008 C.G. Di Arie Zinfandel, Sierra Foothills, Amador County for $13.99/bottle. His wines have been on wine woot before. Anyone tried this one?

I haven't tried it, but a local store was selling these at 9.99 last week, and I wish I had picked one up.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
ajrod27 wrote:I will take a set. Sherries are something I would be interested in learning more about.

me too! especially sherries with some sweetness and good concentration. Are you NorCal? Send me a Pm. if we now have 3 ppl, I'll make the order.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:Wellington has Duke 10 up for under $10...

Will be awaiting rats from the crew of the upcoming Wellington visit, as Duke is now in the tasting room.

Man, I had every intention to buy a case of this this year upon release, but shipping on on 7-12 bottles to Ohio is $45! That runs the cost up to almost $13 per bottle. $30 shipping on 6 bottles, which makes it almost $15 a bottle.

Anyone know if Peter ever runs any free or discounted shipping specials? I don't recall seeing any.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Man, I had every intention to buy a case of this this year upon release, but shipping on on 7-12 bottles to Ohio is $45! That runs the cost up to almost $13 per bottle. $30 shipping on 6 bottles, which makes it almost $15 a bottle.

Anyone know if Peter ever runs any free or discounted shipping specials? I don't recall seeing any.

I just ordered 8 Duke and 4 Duchess so if you want a bottle or two @ $13 that can be arranged. I noticed that the default shipping to CA was $31 so an extra $14 to go all the way to OH seems reasonable enough.

ajrod27

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ajrod27
cmaldoon wrote:me too! especially sherries with some sweetness and good concentration. Are you NorCal? Send me a Pm. if we now have 3 ppl, I'll make the order.

Did you forget we share the same workplace? haha. The RPM tour wasn't THAT long ago!

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

Lastbottle.com has Lengs&Cooter Riesling Watervale 2008 for $8.00 a bottle

Anyone in the Charlotte area want to spilt 6

cmaldoon

ajrod27 wrote:Did you forget we share the same workplace? haha. The RPM tour wasn't THAT long ago!

Oops... homework... Forgot. I'm an engineer, names fly by but rarely stick. Hopefully this will help!

redwinefan

Nord 'Jonquil Vineyards' 2008 Petite Sirah Napa Valley up on WTSO for 17.99.

It looks like the 2006 got nice CT reviews including one from our own BSevern.

Cesare

quality posts: 1468 Private Messages Cesare

Interesting.. Lot18 "Collection". And a $15 credit.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Cesare wrote:Interesting.. Lot18 "Collection". And a $15 credit.

Dammit Cesare. I read that and thought they just gave all of us a $15 credit, thought for sure I was going to buy some of the Tallulah GSM blend.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson
North316 wrote:I have a bottle of the GSM blend, but unfortunately haven't tried it yet. The reviews of people I know are very good on it and probably worth getting at the %15 price. I see they have the Syrah as well, which was really good at $15, though they have it at $22.99.

Other names I recognized from woot (but have not had) were:

Woodenhead Zin
Old World Winery (the wine offered I do not recognize though)
Saphire Hill Chardonnay (not sure the Chard was offered here, I seem to recall a Pinot Noir?)
J Keverson Syrah (once again, not sure the syrah was offered here)

Thanks for the suggestions. Before it sold out, I grabbed the 2006 Woodenhead Martinelli Road Old Vine Zinfandel Duo.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Cesare wrote:Interesting.. Lot18 "Collection". And a $15 credit.

So they just basically turned themselves into a regular store. And not just a simple deal-of-the-day type site.
And I still have $25 of credit to eventually spend there.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

redwinefan

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So they just basically turned themselves into a regular store. And not just a simple deal-of-the-day type site.
And I still have $25 of credit to eventually spend there.

I ended up using my credits + $20 to buy the 2007 Ruston Stagecoach Vineyard Napa Petit Verdot.

Just a note for people who got the $15 credits, they expire at midnight on Friday.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
North316 wrote:Dammit Cesare. I read that and thought they just gave all of us a $15 credit, thought for sure I was going to buy some of the Tallulah GSM blend.

Hmm. My credit is a mere 5 bones.

bdlsmoran

Too funny both lastbottle.com and vitis.com has the same wine up:
Tardieu Laurent Cote Rotie 2008
Vitis.com $56.00 (1) free shipping
lastbottle.com $44 (3) free shipping

chipgreen

Speaking of Last Bottle.... has anyone gotten a shipping notice for the wines that were sold during their August "marathon"? At the time they said the wines would be ready to ship in 3 weeks but it's been a month now and I haven't heard anything from them.

chipgreen

McMalbec wrote:Hmm. My credit is a mere 5 bones.

I also got $5 but I've only placed one order with them and it was over a year ago.

bdlsmoran

chipgreen wrote:Speaking of Last Bottle.... has anyone gotten a shipping notice for the wines that were sold during their August "marathon"? At the time they said the wines would be ready to ship in 3 weeks but it's been a month now and I haven't heard anything from them.

Sent on 09/05
We have (finally!) completed pulling all your orders from our Moving Sale and are ready to ship.

We are, for the time being, still holding because of the heat across the country. This is NO SMALL THING! Even if it is 71 degrees in your town, your box will likely travel through somewhere much hotter (like Vegas or Dallas) on it’s way, and your wine WILL be damaged – popped corks, leaky bottles, etc.

That said, we want to ship your wine as soon as humanly possible, too (we’re moving and we’d rather have your wine in YOUR hands, not ours, when we do!). We watch the weather nationwide very closely and we’ll ship the moment we feel it is safe, trust us! It will happen pretty quickly, we hope within the next 4-6 weeks!

And finally: if you INSIST on having us ship your wine, we will. But under no circumstances will we guarantee its safety and well-being if it’s going somewhere we don’t recommend. If you WOULD like us to send your wine anyway, despite our dire warnings, just email us with your request and a note that you approve this despite our recommendations otherwise.

All good?

Email us with any questions, comments or compliments at shipping@lastbottlewines.com

chipgreen

bdlsmoran wrote:Sent on 09/05
We have (finally!) completed pulling all your orders from our Moving Sale and are ready to ship.

Thanks for that. Just double checked my email and never received anything. Maybe they haven't finished pulling my orders for some reason. I like how they practically force you to buy shipping insurance then want to wait until October to ship, haha.

My first experience with LB so was/am unsure what to expect.

bsevern

quality posts: 108 Private Messages bsevern
chipgreen wrote:Speaking of Last Bottle.... has anyone gotten a shipping notice for the wines that were sold during their August "marathon"? At the time they said the wines would be ready to ship in 3 weeks but it's been a month now and I haven't heard anything from them.

I pinged them a few days ago, as we've had some nice cool weather the past few weeks in the bay area (which I assume they have too). They said it's still too hot in Napa to ship.

bsevern

Wine Library has an interesting wine:

Oriel 2003 Soluna Napa Cabernet Sauvignon for $19.99/bottle (if buying 12).

Winesearcher shows the lowest online price @ $64/bottle (+ shipping). All three CT reviews are positive.

Unfortunately these Oriel wines have been really hit and miss for me (more on the miss side), and I suspect it's because they haven't been properly stored at some point in their life.

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303

i got a email on 9/5 saying the wine is packed and ready to ship but they are waiting for cooler weather. im glad cause i dont have any space right now.

bdlsmoran

joed10303 wrote:i got a email on 9/5 saying the wine is packed and ready to ship but they are waiting for cooler weather. im glad cause i dont have any space right now.

I am in no rush too

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:I pinged them a few days ago, as we've had some nice cool weather the past few weeks in the bay area (which I assume they have too). They said it's still too hot in Napa to ship.

I bought 20 bottles from the Invino clearance sale Sept. 2nd and they arrived in 8 days from Sonoma to OH via FedEx Ground with non-insulated trays and they are in perfect condition.

Like others, I don't need my LB wines right away but it makes me a little nervous when I've never ordered from them before and it seems like they want to sit on the wine that I paid for a month ago and meanwhile they are in the middle of a minor upheaval with their upcoming move to a new location. Have they said where they're moving to?

redwinefan

chipgreen wrote:I bought 20 bottles from the Invino clearance sale Sept. 2nd and they arrived in 8 days from Sonoma to OH via FedEx Ground with non-insulated trays and they are in perfect condition.

Like others, I don't need my LB wines right away but it makes me a little nervous when I've never ordered from them before and it seems like they want to sit on the wine that I paid for a month ago and meanwhile they are in the middle of a minor upheaval with their upcoming move to a new location. Have they said where they're moving to?

I've never had a problem with LastBottle shipping. They are usually very responsive customer service wise, so if anything does happen, I think they'll probably take care of you.

I have a bunch of summer orders sitting with them hopefully until October when it is cool enough to ship here.

I'm surprised Invino switched to straight ground non-insualted shipping already. I also have summer orders holding with them that I eventually need shipped.

cmaldoon

I just received mine today

chipgreen

redwinefan wrote:I've never had a problem with LastBottle shipping. They are usually very responsive customer service wise, so if anything does happen, I think they'll probably take care of you.

I have a bunch of summer orders sitting with them hopefully until October when it is cool enough to ship here.

I'm surprised Invino switched to straight ground non-insualted shipping already. I also have summer orders holding with them that I eventually need shipped.

Thanks, nice to know that LB has had a good track record.

cmaldoon wrote:I just received mine today

Thanks, I'm surprised I haven't at least gotten an email but it sounds like they are working their way through the orders, mine will probably be in the next wave.

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
chipgreen wrote:Thanks, I'm surprised I haven't at least gotten an email but it sounds like they are working their way through the orders, mine will probably be in the next wave.

I have never had any problem with LB customer service or shipping, in fact just got the email they are shipping overnight to So Cal 31 bottles to me

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

chipgreen

tytiger58 wrote:I have never had any problem with LB customer service or shipping, in fact just got the email they are shipping overnight to So Cal 31 bottles to me

Nice! Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear the positive experiences, definitely puts my mind at ease.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:

Yeah no hurry here either.

I've made a few purchases from LB, and to be honest they've been one of the best QPR flash sites out there. The few issues that have arose, they've taken care of, going above and beyond. The first marathon sale they had, they fouled up my order, half of the stuff I ordered they apparently over sold. I have no idea how that's possible with a modern inventory system, but all of the vintage White Cottage and Mt Veeder wines I thought I scored on, never happened, and one French wine I ordered six of, they only gave me one. Not only did they refund my money on the over sells (as they well should have), they sent me 4 bottles gratis for the trouble. I can't complain about that

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:Yeah no hurry here either.

I've made a few purchases from LB, and to be honest they've been one of the best QPR flash sites out there. The few issues that have arose, they've taken care of, going above and beyond. The first marathon sale they had, they fouled up my order, half of the stuff I ordered they apparently over sold. I have no idea how that's possible with a modern inventory system, but all of the vintage White Cottage and Mt Veeder wines I thought I scored on, never happened, and one French wine I ordered six of, they only gave me one. Not only did they refund my money on the over sells (as they well should have), they sent me 4 bottles gratis for the trouble. I can't complain about that

Very cool. I have ordered from them a couple times since the marathon but was getting to the point where I thought maybe I should wait until I start to receive something before ordering more. Now I won't worry about it.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:Very cool. I have ordered from them a couple times since the marathon but was getting to the point where I thought maybe I should wait until I start to receive something before ordering more. Now I won't worry about it.

As long as you don't need it ASAP, you'll be good.

Although I swore off Australian/NZ wines, and despite somewhat mediocre CT reviews, I had a moment of weakness and pulled the trigger on a half case of 2007 Delta Vineyard Hatter's Hill Pinot Noir from LB that's been on heat hold since June 9th.

Despite the odds, why did I order it? To be honest, I've been pretty impressed with the both the accuracy of their tasting notes (they've been spot on thus far), and the wines have all been in great condition, so they've earned my trust. I appreciate a place that goes above and beyond, and doesn't appear to just be in it for the money.

A couple of other flash sites (that shall remain nameless at this point), have, unfortunately, gone the other direction as I've received several bottles of improperly stored wine. Enough so that I've observed a trend, and although they're good about refunding my money, after you notice a trend, you start to question their integrity, and/or ability to source good and properly stored wines.

JS'ing

Cesare

quality posts: 1468 Private Messages Cesare

Don’t miss our Clif Family Winery The Climber Cellar Sale!
We are cleaning out the cellar to make way for our new releases. Don’t miss out on these excellent 2010 vintage wines – they will go fast! $6 per bottle / $72 per case (3 bottle minimum purchase)
Retails for $14 per bottle
Link

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bdlsmoran

Cesare wrote:Don’t miss our Clif Family Winery The Climber Cellar Sale!
We are cleaning out the cellar to make way for our new releases. Don’t miss out on these excellent 2010 vintage wines – they will go fast! $6 per bottle / $72 per case (3 bottle minimum purchase)
Retails for $14 per bottle
Link

It appears shipping is also $6.00 per bottle, kind of kills the deal

cmaldoon

Garagiste has 3-bottle grab bags of 30-150 year old German and Alsatian whites on sale for ~$270/3-pack. Packs are loaded at random

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin

Wine.com has Iron Horse 2009 Unoaked Chard up for $19. Considerably better discount than what we got on tour, and FS with wine steward.

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Wine.com has Iron Horse 2009 Unoaked Chard up for $19. Considerably better discount than what we got on tour, and FS with wine steward.

Hmmmm. The g/f really likes that one. Great price. Do you have steward? If so, could we have you pick some up and we'll trade for the sherry?

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Hmmmm. The g/f really likes that one. Great price. Do you have steward? If so, could we have you pick some up and we'll trade for the sherry?

Got steward. How many?

CT