rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:I'm sayin' I paid just over $19 for the bottle of 2003 I got from invino. It was nicely aged and worked for me for that price. ymmv.

I merely ask Nicki if any are still available, and get an order confirmation...

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Anyone getting in on the 2006 Napa Cab deal on LB?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bsevern wrote:Anyone getting in on the 2006 Napa Cab deal on LB?

I briefly considered it, but I'm passing based on the massive number of LB shipments I'm expecting soon from summer orders.

Wine Enthusiast review is also lackluster if you care about what they say.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:I merely ask Nicki if any are still available, and get an order confirmation...

I know klez has had lots of good experiences with them, but I haven't touched an offer of theirs yet. Too many bad stories, yours included.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Costco in Burbank has 2010 Iron Horse un-oaked chard for 17.99 but they also have 08 Produttori Barbaresco for $25 I bought a few of those

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Costco in Burbank has 2010 Iron Horse un-oaked chard for 17.99 but they also have 08 Produttori Barbaresco for $25 I bought a few of those

My Costco sucks!

Which is probably a good thing for me.

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
bsevern wrote:Anyone getting in on the 2006 Napa Cab deal on LB?

Are you talking about the 2006 Sodaro Felicity?

I went in on it just because of the price. Ignoring what LastBottle claimed to be retail and web pricing, the CellarTracker community average value before the LastBottle sale was about $34 a bottle, and WineSearcher shows it at 4 stores ranging from $39 to $48 a bottle. LB had it for $20 a bottle, which all things considered is a damn good deal for what ought to be a very drinkable Cabernet.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Barlow Unfiltered
Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
on WTSO plati, anyone tried?

aietes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aietes
fredrinaldi wrote:Barlow Unfiltered
Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

It has pretty good review on CT, and WS shows $50 bottle as the lowest price elsewhere - at $20/bottle, shipping included with two, I'm getting it.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

Why are you asking, Fred? I thought you bucket list included having at least one CS from every producer in every significant CS production locale. So why the hesitation???

kylemittskus

aietes wrote:It has pretty good review on CT, and WS shows $50 bottle as the lowest price elsewhere - at $20/bottle, shipping included with two, I'm getting it.

I'd take a flyer on 2 for a ten-year-old cab, as well.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I'd take a flyer on 2 for a ten-year-old cab, as well.

...if not for the SIWBM...

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:...if not for the SIWBM...

Yeah. I'm not actually buying, but I think it's a good buy.

fredrinaldi

noslensj wrote:Why are you asking, Fred? I thought you bucket list included having at least one CS from every producer in every significant CS production locale. So why the hesitation???

There are some pretty weak CS's out there, like feedback,
funny though

EDIT: jumped in with both feet, thanks yall

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
Napa Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

2003 wasn't a particularly good year for Napa caps, if it was 2001, 2004-2007, easily a great deal. 2003 has been fairly hit and miss for me.

The reviews on the filtered 2003 cab are enticing, but not a peep on the filtered.

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
bsevern wrote:2003 wasn't a particularly good year for Napa caps, if it was 2001, 2004-2007, easily a great deal. 2003 has been fairly hit and miss for me.

The reviews on the filtered 2003 cab are enticing, but not a peep on the filtered.

It looks like all there cabs are unfiltered, so there shouldn't be two 2003 on CT. Also Zahtila listed Barlow on there label in 06-08, and woot sold them for $30 + tax.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
fredrinaldi wrote:There are some pretty weak CS's out there, like feedback,
funny though

EDIT: jumped in with both feet, thanks yall

Fred....PM for you

fredrinaldi

bobrush12866 wrote:Fred....PM for you

Done

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
rjquillin wrote:I think I had a bad experience with Castlebank at some point, as I've shied away from these since, but that was some time ago, and if others have recent experience I'd like to hear about it.

Are there likely different grades of these? Perhaps I got an entry level bottle. They show up enough, and at attractive price points..

Castlebank is a trademark of guess who..Newman Wine and Spirits, Jonathan H. Newman. I love how he glowingly reviews Castlebank and his other trademarked wines Amusee, Robert Storey, Mockingbird Hill, Dignitas.

noslensj

kaolis wrote:Castlebank is a trademark of guess who..Newman Wine and Spirits, Jonathan H. Newman. I love how he glowingly reviews Castlebank and his other trademarked wines Amusee, Robert Storey, Mockingbird Hill, Dignitas.

Is Kingsford Manor another of his labels as well?

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
kaolis wrote:Castlebank is a trademark of guess who..Newman Wine and Spirits, Jonathan H. Newman. I love how he glowingly reviews Castlebank and his other trademarked wines Amusee, Robert Storey, Mockingbird Hill, Dignitas.

I knew it was fishy. When I tried to find info on the web there was quite a vacuum. Now I know why. Figured it was owned by one of the big3 or something like that. Bulk juice in a bottle.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

2 possible items of interest:
1) for those in the 100 wine club, TSO has Valenti Puritani Nerello Mascalese 2009 Region: Sicilia. Appellation: IGT Grapes: 100% Nerello Mascalese. So, this might be a new varietal for you.
2) Pedroncelli sent out an email today that they are selling a vertical of their 2000/2001/2002 Four Grapes Port.

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:2 possible items of interest:
1) for those in the 100 wine club, TSO has Valenti Puritani Nerello Mascalese 2009 Region: Sicilia. Appellation: IGT Grapes: 100% Nerello Mascalese. So, this might be a new varietal for you.
2) Pedroncelli sent out an email today that they are selling a vertical of their 2000/2001/2002 Four Grapes Port.

WD and woot has us so spoiled with Pedroncelli.
We've been purchasing this for half of what the email offer is.
Still, tempting...

CT

noslensj

trifecta wrote:I knew it was fishy. When I tried to find info on the web there was quite a vacuum. Now I know why. Figured it was owned by one of the big3 or something like that. Bulk juice in a bottle.

Similar to what I experienced when I tried to track down info on a lot of the juice that was being offered at Wine Insiders.

With WI, I quickly became suspicious that at least some of that juice was coming from Bronco, using one of the many labels they own. Didn't find anything to prove that, but neither did I find anything to allay that.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Anyone know anything about the Axis Zin on Invino?

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
slm9951 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Axis Zin on Invino?

No, but this is worth a try if you have a TJ's nearby. Not a bad daily drinker.
http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=435

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:WD and woot has us so spoiled with Pedroncelli.
We've been purchasing this for half of what the email offer is.
Still, tempting...

I know, that is what I have been thinking also.....

kaolis

noslensj wrote:Is Kingsford Manor another of his labels as well?

Thought maybe it was, it kind of has that feel doesn't it? ...but not sure..

noslensj

kaolis wrote:Thought maybe it was, it kind of has that feel doesn't it? ...but not sure..

Yeah it does - that's what prompted the question. Nothing came up when I googled, though.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99
noslensj wrote:Yeah it does - that's what prompted the question. Nothing came up when I googled, though.

You can search for labels at https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/publicSearchColasBasic.do

A search on Kingford Manor shows that it's owned by St. Supery/Skalli Corporation.

thelaues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelaues
chukon99 wrote:You can search for labels at https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/publicSearchColasBasic.do

A search on Kingford Manor shows that it's owned by St. Supery/Skalli Corporation.

Interesting site. What it appears to to reveal is the winery behind the label and not the label owner itself. For example, yesterday *TSO sold a Castlebank Old Vine Zin made by Ed St. John. The description gave a few clues as to origin. A Google search showed Mr St. John is a winemaker for Pedroncelli. A search on the TTB site via your link shows the resultant winery as Predoncelli. Might this crack the code as to how to find out where the surplus juice comes from on these alternate label wines? Still WOOT beats the price of *TSO on the Zin at least and the discussion board with owner participation still trumps *TSO. And you know you are not getting surplus juice (not that there is anything wrong with surplus juice). Thanks for the link.

mbuffy

jmdavidson wrote:2 possible items of interest:

If I'm reading this right, you're talking about wtso.com and something called the "100 wine club". Is that something other than their 'Platinum' link? What exactly is the wtso "100 wine club"? Sounds like fun! ;-)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mbuffy wrote:If I'm reading this right, you're talking about wtso.com and something called the "100 wine club". Is that something other than their 'Platinum' link? What exactly is the wtso "100 wine club"? Sounds like fun! ;-)

Wine Century Club

The century club itself has nothing to do with WTSO. He was just saying there was a rare varietal being offered there.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
mbuffy wrote:If I'm reading this right, you're talking about wtso.com and something called the "100 wine club". Is that something other than their 'Platinum' link? What exactly is the wtso "100 wine club"? Sounds like fun! ;-)

The 100 wine club has nothing to do with any wine sites. There is a group that is trying to taste 100 different grape varietals. I was just letting them know that this offer might be for a vsrietal that they have not tried.

mbuffy

jmdavidson wrote:The 100 wine club has nothing to do with any wine sites. There is a group that is trying to taste 100 different grape varietals. I was just letting them know that this offer might be for a vsrietal that they have not tried.

Gotcha -- thanks for the explanation!

purpletoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purpletoes

2010 Eagles Trace Cab up on wtso, in case anyone wants to expand their verticals.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

Any thoughts on Broadbent Port on tso plat?

"The older I get the better I was"

kaolis

losthighwayz wrote:Any thoughts on Broadbent Port on tso plat?

If I needed some more Port I'd probably take a flyer on this at this price. Some solid reviews...I know I know I know we all hate reviews. I've enjoyed some of the Broadbent Madeiras in the past. Looks like it is still in need of some time but I'm sure you could crack one now if you like them on the primary side.

Cesare

quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Wineshopper has 2010 Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay for $19.99 with free shipping on $99 (5 bottles or more). Less than it was here when you include shipping and tax.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
Cesare wrote:Wineshopper has 2010 Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay for $19.99 with free shipping on $99 (5 bottles or more). Less than it was here when you include shipping and tax.

Unfortunately they add tax, but there is a $10 referral credit for new users.