+ Add a Comment

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
redwinefan wrote:It seems like Wineshopper scored an amazing amount of the 07 Ramals from Buena Vista for a crazy great prize. With the number of times it has shown up there, you'd think they'd have run out by now.

Wonder why this deal happened?

It ran out now.... probably happened because everyone hated that they put them under screw caps....

Or the new management just wanted to get the old stuff out...

Edit: Sparkles!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
joed10303 wrote:while i agree with your view on corks , the 07 ramal is $14 on wineshopper. at that price isnt it a buy to drink now and maybe take a chance on laying a couple down ??

Carp, sold out while I was logging in...

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Carp, sold out while I was logging in...

Yep. I have none of it, wanted to grab some, and SOLD OUT.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wnance

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wnance
kylemittskus wrote:Yep. I have none of it, wanted to grab some, and SOLD OUT.

Check back. Last couple of times they had this 07 I remember it going in and out of stock over the course of the day.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Anyone know anything about the 09 Burgundy on wtso? Seems tempting.... I think 09 was a good year over there but I can't seem to find anything on the particular bottle except wine searcher links that show what seems to be the same thing for a few bucks cheaper than wtso.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
cmaldoon wrote:It ran out now.... probably happened because everyone hated that they put them under screw caps....

Or the new management just wanted to get the old stuff out...

Edit: Sparkles!

I'm guessing it's the new management clearing the stuff out. I picked up a case at $14 a while ago, but would have picked up another if I hadn't missed it.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Lot's of Kunde coming up today....too bad it's their cheap...err inexpensive stuff. I wasn't impressed with most of the stuff we tried there, especially the lower end stuff (which is what's been on WS today). I didn't get to try that Gwertz though, which I heard was decent.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
bsevern wrote:Lot's of Kunde coming up today....too bad it's their cheap...err inexpensive stuff. I wasn't impressed with most of the stuff we tried there, especially the lower end stuff (which is what's been on WS today). I didn't get to try that Gwertz though, which I heard was decent.

+1 and I found the Red Dirt Red to be pretty tasty. It was made up of barbera, PS, syrah, zin and sangio. Agree with you on the other wines, however.

bsevern

2003 Jade Mountain Syrah Paras Vineyard Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder on LB.

Seems to be a very well received/reviewed winery/wine at a great price.

I went in for six. If nobody at works claims a couple, I'd be willing to split a couple.

If anyone needs a LastBottle referral PM me

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
bsevern wrote:2003 Jade Mountain Syrah Paras Vineyard Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder on LB.

I went in for six. If nobody at works claims a couple, I'd be willing to split a couple.

Got 6 too, do not need it but seemed too good to pass up

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:2003 Jade Mountain Syrah Paras Vineyard Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder on LB.

Missed 'em.
I'll take you up on a couple.

CT

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I just picked up four bottles of Cotes du Rhone 2010 Domaine de Dionysos over at WTSO for $11.99 with free FedEx Ground shipping.

I've bought a few other Southern Rhone wines on WTSO from this same importer (Serge Dore) recently, and they have been great wines at a great price. This one lacks a Parker score, which I'm guessing means it's a better deal but just as good.

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

Also a great deal at Cinderella Wines today for the 2006 Siro Pacenti Brunello di Montalcino Pelagrilli. CT value is $48, but today it's $29.99 with free shipping on six. I picked up three.

2006 is an excellent year for Brunello di Montalcino.

DanNC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanNC

Anyone have experience with Pena Ridge? They've got closeout prices on four of their wines: http://www.penaridge.com/

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
DanNC wrote:Anyone have experience with Pena Ridge? They've got closeout prices on four of their wines: http://www.penaridge.com/

Hmm... No experience with Pena, but Bradford Mountain yes. Great spot for weather and soil. Some real favorites up there (Hawley, Mounts, Handal-Denier to name a few).

The fact that Miro sources petite sirah from there is a good sign.

Also interesting that Pena and Miro use the petite "syrah" designation, which either slipped by the label police or they are grandfathered in.

trifecta

I would definitely take 2 if you can spare them. Missed that deal!

bsevern

trifecta wrote:I would definitely take 2 if you can spare them. Missed that deal!

I think rjquillin beat you to them if I can figure out how to get them to him.

BTW anyone interested in the invino rosé deal, six bottles selected from the following for $59? My only issue is I haven't had great luck buying inexpensive wines from Invino....more often than not I've been disappointed.

Six wines will be selected from the following:

N.V. Domaine des Cognettes Folie Rose Spkling Rose
2010 Duval & Blanchet Les Notes Rosees
2011 Spy Valley Pinot Noir Rose
2011 Domaine de Guintrandy CdR Rose
2009 Georgetown Divide Grenache Rouge
2011 Domaine de Guintrandy CdR Rose Non Filtre
2009 Nicodemi Ceresuolo Rose
2010 Wine by Joe, Jose's Rose
2010 Chateau Pampelonne Provence rosé

trifecta

bsevern wrote:I think rjquillin beat you to them if I can figure out how to get them to him.

Aha. That's where I have the edge!

No worries. Although... Do you have any of those 1L Gazzi Pinot's still?

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:I think rjquillin beat you to them if I can figure out how to get them to him.

Muhahaha Yum, thanks!

trifecta wrote:Aha. That's where I have the edge!

No worries. Although... Do you have any of those 1L Gazzi Pinot's still?

That Gazzi, despite the label, is pretty tasty, especially for the tariff we paid.

CT

bsevern

If anyone wants to try something different, Vitis (PM me if you need a referral) has 2011 Strasserhof Kerner for 65% off @ $12.99/bottle.

Distinctive wine from the Italian Alps, this 100% Kerner from Alto Adige’s Valle Isarco is defined by purity, intensity of flavor and its refined elegance. A veritable mountain wine, fruit sourced from vineyards at 2,300 feet above sea level. This wine was fermented in stainless steel to preserve the vibrant fruit character and aged for eight months in tank on its lees before bottling. Kerner is an aromatic white Germanic variety that was bred from crossing Riesling with Trolllinger.

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON
bsevern wrote:If anyone wants to try something different, Vitis (PM me if you need a referral) has 2011 Strasserhof Kerner for 65% off @ $12.99/bottle.

Distinctive wine from the Italian Alps, this 100% Kerner from Alto Adige’s Valle Isarco is defined by purity, intensity of flavor and its refined elegance. A veritable mountain wine, fruit sourced from vineyards at 2,300 feet above sea level. This wine was fermented in stainless steel to preserve the vibrant fruit character and aged for eight months in tank on its lees before bottling. Kerner is an aromatic white Germanic variety that was bred from crossing Riesling with Trolllinger.

If anybody jumped on this and has an extra bottle, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

I was travelling today and unable to take advantage of this.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

Vitis.com appears to have a great deal:
Renard “Tres Ninos 2005 for $17.99 - normal price around $44.00
Some good cellar tracker reviews

Smooth & Suave – 67% Off
Bordeaux meets the Rhône Valley – this sumptuous Renard Proprietary Red Blend is made from Calistoga fruit, sourced from the personal vineyard of renowned Napa Valley winemaker Elias Fernandez. Elias’s three sons help pick the fruit, hence the cuvée’s name: Tres Niños! It is predominantly Cabernet Sauvignon with small amounts of Petite Sirah and Syrah.

bsevern

bdlsmoran wrote:Vitis.com appears to have a great deal:
Renard “Tres Ninos 2005 for $17.99 - normal price around $44.00
Some good cellar tracker reviews

Smooth & Suave – 67% Off
Bordeaux meets the Rhône Valley – this sumptuous Renard Proprietary Red Blend is made from Calistoga fruit, sourced from the personal vineyard of renowned Napa Valley winemaker Elias Fernandez. Elias’s three sons help pick the fruit, hence the cuvée’s name: Tres Niños! It is predominantly Cabernet Sauvignon with small amounts of Petite Sirah and Syrah.

Kind of a crap shoot, although the CT reviews are very positive and 2005 is considered to be a very good year for Napa Valley, if only I could just get two

cmaldoon

A NorCal local retailer: BP wine has a set of inexpensive and highly rated sherries up for sale. I am wondering if any of the other bay area locals want any? (Bservern... Joatmon (if you can stomach sherries along side your madierias...) They have flat rate $9 shipping for 1-12 bottles anywhere in the US. I'd just love to spread that among more than just a set of 3 for me.

Here are the wines:

Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado Peninsula $22.99! WA96

"A mind-blowing sherry is the non-vintage Palo Cortado Peninsula Solera Reserva. Like all Lustau sherries except for the East India, it is made from the Palomino varietal. A dry, crisp, full-throttle, intense sherry offering incredibly complex, nutty aromas, it represents a style that falls between the Amontillado and the more oxidized, heavier Oloroso."

Emilio Lustau East India Solera $23.99! WA96

"The dark amber-hued non-vintage East India Solera is essentially an old Oloroso blended with an old Pedro Ximenez, which gives it a sweet character. It offers more mature notes of maple syrup, brown sugar, spice box, raisin and chocolate beer nuts, and its terrific balancing acidity cuts through the sweetness. This delicious effort is best drunk after the meal."

Emilio Lustau Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserve $24.99 WA96

"The non-vintage Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserva is the sweetest sherry in this group as well as the easiest to appreciate as it is made from 100% Moscatel.

My Cellar

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

Lot18 has a huge list of wine up today. The discounts look to be less than we are used to. Anyone have a chance to review them and/or make any suggestions?

cmaldoon

jmdavidson wrote:Lot18 has a huge list of wine up today. The discounts look to be less than we are used to. Anyone have a chance to review them and/or make any suggestions?

2007 Tallulah Amador County "Les Trois Voix" for $30/pair i think has been on here and received good reviews and this is a decent discount on it. I know I like their napa syrah at $15/bottle but haven't had the blend.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cmaldoon wrote:2007 Tallulah Amador County "Les Trois Voix" for $30/pair i think has been on here and received good reviews and this is a decent discount on it. I know I like their napa syrah at $15/bottle but haven't had the blend.

I have a bottle of the GSM blend, but unfortunately haven't tried it yet. The reviews of people I know are very good on it and probably worth getting at the %15 price. I see they have the Syrah as well, which was really good at $15, though they have it at $22.99.

Other names I recognized from woot (but have not had) were:

Woodenhead Zin
Old World Winery (the wine offered I do not recognize though)
Saphire Hill Chardonnay (not sure the Chard was offered here, I seem to recall a Pinot Noir?)
J Keverson Syrah (once again, not sure the syrah was offered here)

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta

jmdavidson wrote:Lot18 has a huge list of wine up today. The discounts look to be less than we are used to. Anyone have a chance to review them and/or make any suggestions?

I know that the 2007 Manzanita Creek Carreras Ranch zin is good. Can't find detailed notes, but I did buy 2 bottles at the winery for $36 I think. $30 on lot18

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

The Valduero Ribera del Duero was really good and the Volta was great when I had vouchers.

:Edit: I guess they were all better when we had vouchers

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:2007 Tallulah Amador County "Les Trois Voix" for $30/pair i think has been on here and received good reviews and this is a decent discount on it. I know I like their napa syrah at $15/bottle but haven't had the blend.

I love this wine at $15/bottle.

Not a fan of this new Lot18 layout. Also, seems like they are making a big change to their sales model with this.

I'm very curious about the Ruston Stagecoach Vineyard 2007 Petit Verdot. Can't find any info on it though.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bsevern

The new site format really sucks big time using my iPad !

Sorry I don't know a thing about sherries.

cmaldoon wrote:A NorCal local retailer: BP wine has a set of inexpensive and highly rated sherries up for sale. I am wondering if any of the other bay area locals want any? (Bservern... Joatmon (if you can stomach sherries along side your madierias...) They have flat rate $9 shipping for 1-12 bottles anywhere in the US. I'd just love to spread that among more than just a set of 3 for me.

sorry I don't know a thing about sherries.

Here are the wines:

Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado Peninsula $22.99! WA96

"A mind-blowing sherry is the non-vintage Palo Cortado Peninsula Solera Reserva. Like all Lustau sherries except for the East India, it is made from the Palomino varietal. A dry, crisp, full-throttle, intense sherry offering incredibly complex, nutty aromas, it represents a style that falls between the Amontillado and the more oxidized, heavier Oloroso."

Emilio Lustau East India Solera $23.99! WA96

"The dark amber-hued non-vintage East India Solera is essentially an old Oloroso blended with an old Pedro Ximenez, which gives it a sweet character. It offers more mature notes of maple syrup, brown sugar, spice box, raisin and chocolate beer nuts, and its terrific balancing acidity cuts through the sweetness. This delicious effort is best drunk after the meal."

Emilio Lustau Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserve $24.99 WA96

"The non-vintage Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserva is the sweetest sherry in this group as well as the easiest to appreciate as it is made from 100% Moscatel.

trifecta

redwinefan wrote:I love this wine at $15/bottle.

Not a fan of this new Lot18 layout. Also, seems like they are making a big change to their sales model with this.

I'm very curious about the Ruston Stagecoach Vineyard 2007 Petit Verdot. Can't find any info on it though.

Not on Lot18, but if you are interested in PV you should try Meeker's 2004 (current release).

trifecta

bsevern wrote:The new site format really sucks big time using my iPad !

Sorry I don't know a thing about sherries.

Layout sucks on iphone and a regular desktop.

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:A NorCal local retailer: BP wine has a set of inexpensive and highly rated sherries up for sale. I am wondering if any of the other bay area locals want any? (Bservern... Joatmon (if you can stomach sherries along side your madierias...) They have flat rate $9 shipping for 1-12 bottles anywhere in the US. I'd just love to spread that among more than just a set of 3 for me.

PM for ya

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:PM for ya

Sweet. That's one person... If one more person wants some sweet sherries we'll all have $1 shipping per bottle. There are 60 of each in stock so there's a bit of time... Perhaps I'll buy at the end of tomorrow.

Any other Enab....err...takers?

My Cellar

trevindalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevindalton

The fact that Lot 18 is suddenly offering so many selections is rather curious. Nevertheless, I had the Clary Ranch Pinot Noir when it was offered earlier in the year and it was phenomenal.

trevindalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevindalton
trevindalton wrote:The fact that Lot 18 is suddenly offering so many selections is rather curious. Nevertheless, I had the Clary Ranch Pinot Noir when it was offered earlier in the year and it was phenomenal.

I also notice some of their pricing is just screwy. For instance, the wattle creek kristine's cuvee red (not a bad bottle of wine) is cheaper per bottle for a duo (19 a bottle) than it is for the 6-pack (20 a bottle). These prices make no sense.

rjquillin

Wellington has Duke 10 up for under $10...

Will be awaiting rats from the crew of the upcoming Wellington visit, as Duke is now in the tasting room.

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

About the Sherries: Total Wine has the East India Solera - the only one I'm interested in - for less, and there's a 20% off coupon ($10 off each 50).

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
trevindalton wrote:I also notice some of their pricing is just screwy. For instance, the wattle creek kristine's cuvee red (not a bad bottle of wine) is cheaper per bottle for a duo (19 a bottle) than it is for the 6-pack (20 a bottle). These prices make no sense.

I think we've clued into their new business strategy with their weird pricing and annoying layout: it's the consumer confusion strategy.

If they confuse their consumers enough, maybe we will mistakenly purchase something.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington