+ Add a Comment

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:He's had the previous vintage of the Alturas because he's a baby killer. This is the first vintage of the Esquisto.

blah blah blah it's still drinking very well young and I think it will be great in another 10yrs

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Have had a few of the 09 Syrah and 6 more in the cellar and it was beautiful IMHO, Copain makes another highly rated Syrah from the same vineyard and fwiw costs a bit more. It's low ABV 13.7 iirc and beautiful fruit and structure just a great wine, buy some of the 09 if you don't think it is a great value and great cali syrah I will buy them from you. Also pretty excited to try the Mourvedre pretty sure you can get free shipping

OK, tomorrow I call 'em and see what they can do on a mixed case. Damn you enablers.

If you don't claim your sparky, I will.

CT

tytiger58

K@L has the 2010 Iron Horse Green Valley Estate Chardonnay for 19.99 anyone try this one?

:edit: I will take a flyer on 1 or 2.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

For all you ballers - Last bottle has some Château Haut-Brion Blanc 2002 for $299

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus

CW has another awesome deal on a Barolo. This time, it's the 2007 Oddero for $25.

I grabbed 2. Barolo @ $25 is an easy buy for me all day long, but damnit, I'm supposed to be not buying wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:CW has another awesome deal on a Barolo. This time, it's the 2007 Oddero for $25.

I grabbed 2. Barolo @ $25 is an easy buy for me all day long, but damnit, I'm supposed to be not buying wine.

Could be worse. You could have lost control completely and bought 12, just to get the free shipping.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:CW has another awesome deal on a Barolo. This time, it's the 2007 Oddero for $25.

Yep vertical started 06 was real good!

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:Could be worse. You could have lost control completely and bought 12, just to get the free shipping.

Luckily (or not budget-wise), some of us have free shipping through the end of the year due to a credit card theft debacle at WL. 12 for FS would price me way out, even with splitting with tyger.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jmdavidson wrote:The wines are starting to repeat now. And we thought they were sold out.

"There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead."
Sorry about the reference to such an old post, but I was just trying to figure out what I missed while I was away, and I couldn't resist that one. Now I can't even remember how I wound up looking at that bunch of posts in the first place.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
kylemittskus wrote:Luckily (or not budget-wise), some of us have free shipping through the end of the year due to a credit card theft debacle at WL. 12 for FS would price me way out, even with splitting with tyger.

How do you get the free shipping? I was also a victim of same said...

kylemittskus

mother wrote:How do you get the free shipping? I was also a victim of same said...

They made a forum post quite a while back and you emailed them. They provided a personal FS code. You could try to email BW or KM and ask. Free to do so.

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Does anyone have a take on Gargiste mystery wine offer?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
kittymac wrote:Does anyone have a take on Gargiste mystery wine offer?

Today's offer is about as cheap as they get. I've had some ok ones, but I've read horror stories on a few on WB.

I've sworn off Garagiste due to other annoyances, but I purchased some of today's offer just to fill up the last case I have going there so I can get it shipped.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

A friend asked me this:

Have you heard anything about nakedwines.com
? I got a voucher card with an order and was wanting to ask you about it. Good? Bad? Just OK? Total scam?

Any opinions.

Also for So Cal folks, they had a grand opening of a Total Wine in Laguna Hills(?) last week, and there are some $15 off every $50 coupons in some smaller, local newspapers (the email coupon is $10 off every $50). 30% off of their prices seems a good deal.

(Also $2 off booze coupons.)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

2007 Miller Wine Works Syrah Sage Canyon Vineyard, Napa Valley for $16 and 2006 Moon Mountain Estate Grown Syrah Sonoma Valley for $10 available again on invino. I used "premierwelcome" code for $10 off $100 min order. Basically got the refrigerated shipping for $5 with the code. Pm me for an invite if you need one.

rjquillin

WTSO has Oriel Priorat 2002 Alma de Llicorella up now for $10.50. Got this back in February and found it to my liking. Grabbing some more.

CT

rjquillin

bud8jr wrote:2007 Miller Wine Works Syrah Sage Canyon Vineyard, Napa Valley for $16 and 2006 Moon Mountain Estate Grown Syrah Sonoma Valley for $10 available again on invino. I used "premierwelcome" code for $10 off $100 min order. Basically got the refrigerated shipping for $5 with the code. Pm me for an invite if you need one.

Got a link? Not seeing either of these...

CT

bud8jr

rjquillin wrote:Got a link? Not seeing either of these...

It was something I had in my previous orders that is avail again. They sent me a pop up when I went to the site the time after I checked my previous orders, it said something to the effect that it would be offered to me before the gen public can buy it FWIW.

rjquillin

bud8jr wrote:It was something I had in my previous orders that is avail again. They sent me a pop up when I went to the site the time after I checked my previous orders, it said something to the effect that it would be offered to me before the gen public can buy it FWIW.

Makes sense. You tried your MM? I've only got one of that vintage Syrah and haven't sampled yet.

CT

bud8jr

rjquillin wrote:Makes sense. You tried your MM? I've only got one of that vintage Syrah and haven't sampled yet.

Prob one of the best QPR at $10. I know others here did not care for the MM, But IMO this was nice. I went deep 1st offering on a variety pack, then this one came up again. Got 8 of these and 4 of the Miller.

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
rjquillin wrote:WTSO has Oriel Priorat 2002 Alma de Llicorella up now for $10.50. Got this back in February and found it to my liking. Grabbing some more.

I missed the earlier offering. After a bit of thought I went in for half a case. I've thought all of the Oriel offerings I've tried were pretty good value for the money.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
noslensj wrote:I missed the earlier offering. After a bit of thought I went in for half a case. I've thought all of the Oriel offerings I've tried were pretty good value for the money.

I've had that oriel before...probably a case now. It is fantastic QPR at 10.50. It's a good soft Grenache at this point with some minerality from carignane. The only knock I give it is that it is lacking in concentration a bit but again...this is a $10 wine and is fantastic for that.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
cmaldoon wrote:I've had that oriel before...probably a case now. It is fantastic QPR at 10.50. It's a good soft Grenache at this point with some minerality from carignane. The only knock I give it is that it is lacking in concentration a bit but again...this is a $10 wine and is fantastic for that.

Yeah - I saw your CT comments; they were very helpful.

cmaldoon

White cottage ranch 2009 "risa" cab for 19.99 on WTSO. Everything I've had from WCR has been decent to fantastic and this one has decent CT reviews. I'm in for a set of 4

My Cellar

rjquillin

Not a screaming deal, but 2006 Buena Vista Carneros Estate Pinot Noir Ramal Vineyard, Sonoma is up on a large Invino sale for $24.

I know many of us stocked up on the 2007 at $15. Is the 2006 worth the extra, and how does it compare?

edit: Lot's of stuff we've seen.
Scott Harvey's 2008 1869 Zin also for $29

CT

rjquillin

Doesn't WW source Three Wine and Matt Cline for Woot bottlings?

WineAccess has 2010 Three Wine Company Zinfandel Live Oak (old vines) up now too. Single bottles a bit pricy, but much less by the case. Any splits?

CT

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:Not a screaming deal, but 2006 Buena Vista Carneros Estate Pinot Noir Ramal Vineyard, Sonoma is up on a large Invino sale for $24.

I know many of us stocked up on the 2007 at $15. Is the 2006 worth the extra, and how does it compare?

Lots of stuff on the Invino sale, but the SH 1869 is the only thing that I'm considering at the moment since I only have older vintages of it.

redwinefan

Does anyone know if WCC is still putting together wine deals for RLL? I haven't noticed any wine for sale on there recently. Not sure if they are just taking the summer off though or if the Woot+ boutiques kind of took the place of RLL for WCC.

rpm

quality posts: 166 Private Messages rpm
rjquillin wrote:Not a screaming deal, but 2006 Buena Vista Carneros Estate Pinot Noir Ramal Vineyard, Sonoma is up on a large Invino sale for $24.

2007 was a better year, but the 2007 is in a screw top bottle, which really pissed me off. Taking a wine that is the equivalent of a premier cru Burgundy and destroying it's ability to age properly was a really bad decision, which I think was made after the sale of Buena Vista.

The 2006 is a lovely wine, which we also tasted on the 2010 Tour, and will age very nicely in the cork closure bottles.

I understand using these damned screw tops for wines not intended to, or capable of, aging, but using them on truly fine wines with serious aging potential(10-20 years IMHO) is a crime against nature and should be punished the way such crimes once were punished!

I don't love the price, but I bought some, if only to have the last vintage of that lovely wine in a cork closure bottle. I still have most of the 2005 I got in 2008 and 2010, which I don't expect to begin drinking before 2015 at the earliest. The 2006 may be ready by then, or just a bit earlier.

Make no mistake, this is serious, ageworthy Pinot.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

rpm wrote:
I understand using these damned screw tops for wines not intended to, or capable of, aging, but using them on truly fine wines with serious aging potential(10-20 years IMHO) is a crime against nature and should be punished the way such crimes once were punished!

I don't love the price, but I bought some, if only to have the last vintage of that lovely wine in a cork closure bottle. I still have most of the 2005 I got in 2008 and 2010, which I don't expect to begin drinking before 2015 at the earliest. The 2006 may be ready by then, or just a bit earlier.

Makes me wonder, then, if these may be successfully recapped using a Zork STL (PDF). OTR is less than either natural or synthetic cork by a factor of between 2.8~10 depending on whose numbers you use, but nowhere near the ~100 times lower of a screw cap.

I'm thinking, remove the screw, purge the bottle with Ar, and recap with a Zork STL (web page).

Might this work..?

CT

rjquillin

rpm wrote:

Makes me wonder, then, if these may be successfully recapped using a Zork STL (PDF). OTR is less than either natural or synthetic cork by a factor of between 2.8~10 depending on whose numbers you use, but nowhere near the ~100 times lower of a screw cap.

Zork does claim oxidative rather than reductive development as found in a screw closure.

I'm thinking, remove the screw, purge the bottle with Ar, and recap with a Zork STL (web page).

CT

rpm

rjquillin wrote:Makes me wonder, then, if these may be successfully recapped using a Zork STL (PDF). OTR is less than either natural or synthetic cork by a factor of between 2.8~10 depending on whose numbers you use, but nowhere near the ~100 times lower of a screw cap.

Zork does claim oxidative rather than reductive development as found in a screw closure.

No opinion here.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rpm wrote:2007 was a better year, but the 2007 is in a screw top bottle, which really pissed me off. Taking a wine that is the equivalent of a premier cru Burgundy and destroying it's ability to age properly was a really bad decision, which I think was made after the sale of Buena Vista.

The 2006 is a lovely wine, which we also tasted on the 2010 Tour, and will age very nicely in the cork closure bottles.

It depends on the type of screw cap used. Certain models are fully capable of emulating the breathing of a cork, yet others are a non-breathing seal (like the crown cap you mentioned on the tour). Obviously if they used the later, all bets are off on serious aging.

I emailed the winery to ask what specific enclosure they implemented, but thus far, I've received no response.

rpm

bsevern wrote:It depends on the type of screw cap used. Certain models are fully capable of emulating the breathing of a cork, yet others are a non-breathing seal (like the crown cap you mentioned on the tour). Obviously if they used the later, all bets are off on serious aging.

I emailed the winery to ask what specific enclosure they implemented, but thus far, I've received no response.

I keep hearing things like certain models are fully capable of emulating the breathing of a cork, but I've yet to see it proven to me over the 20-30 year life span of a good Cabernet or Pinot or even Chardonnay. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm simply not willing to take the risk with my money and my wine that the newer seals don't work out as well as the vendors and users of them hoped.

And, moreover, I think any winery that takes that risk with their premium wines doesn't take either their wine or their customers very seriously.

If they want to put some of their library wines aside with such closures, to undertake the 20-30 year experiments, that's fine and a reasonable and responsible thing to do. It's neither reasonable nor responsible to take the customer's money for something unproven for premium wine over its full life-cycle.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rpm wrote:I keep hearing things like certain models are fully capable of emulating the breathing of a cork, but I've yet to see it proven to me over the 20-30 year life span of a good Cabernet or Pinot or even Chardonnay. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm simply not willing to take the risk with my money and my wine that the newer seals don't work out as well as the vendors and users of them hoped.

And, moreover, I think any winery that takes that risk with their premium wines doesn't take either their wine or their customers very seriously.

If they want to put some of their library wines aside with such closures, to undertake the 20-30 year experiments, that's fine and a reasonable and responsible thing to do. It's neither reasonable nor responsible to take the customer's money for something unproven for premium wine over its full life-cycle.

Only time will tell if the claims on the permeability, and/or semipermeability of these enclosures function as claimed. I'm skeptical too, yet if they can emulate a cork as advertised, it would be great not to waste another corked bottle down the drain again.

BTW the 2007 Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard Pinot Noir is back up for $13.99!!

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance
rpm wrote:I keep hearing things like certain models are fully capable of emulating the breathing of a cork, but I've yet to see it proven to me over the 20-30 year life span of a good Cabernet or Pinot or even Chardonnay. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm simply not willing to take the risk with my money and my wine that the newer seals don't work out as well as the vendors and users of them hoped.

Timely comments, as the 07 Buena Vista Ramal Pinot is back on Wineshopper today for $13.99/bottle.

I've got a case+ of this, have had a couple bottles, and really enjoyed it. I do wonder what to do with it as far as cellaring? If I had more money lying around I would buy another case just as a daily drinker for $14/bottle...

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303

while i agree with your view on corks , the 07 ramal is $14 on wineshopper. at that price isnt it a buy to drink now and maybe take a chance on laying a couple down ??

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance
joed10303 wrote:while i agree with your view on corks , the 07 ramal is $14 on wineshopper. at that price isnt it a buy to drink now and maybe take a chance on laying a couple down ??

I'm no expert, but I certainly haven't had a Pinot I enjoy more for $14!

cmaldoon

joed10303 wrote:while i agree with your view on corks , the 07 ramal is $14 on wineshopper. at that price isnt it a buy to drink now and maybe take a chance on laying a couple down ??

Agreed. And now that I have 8 of my own on the way. I will also say that this is well beyond daily drinker for a daily drinker price.

My Cellar

redwinefan

It seems like Wineshopper scored an amazing amount of the 07 Ramals from Buena Vista for a crazy great prize. With the number of times it has shown up there, you'd think they'd have run out by now.

Wonder why this deal happened?