tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
bsevern wrote:What I find interesting about Eagle Trace is that they're one of those by appointment only kind of Napa Valley wineries, which seems like it would cut down a lot of sales opportunities.

I've seen a lot of higher end by appointment only Napa wineries that's juice ends up on the flash sites. For example Quixote and Ehlers Estate have shown up a fair bit over the past couple of years, and both make some very good juice.

Seems like a flawed business model, if you make access to your product difficult or pretentious , a lot of people will move on to a more accessible winery.

From what I understand, this is Gus Anderson's 'retirement' project when he left ACV to Todd.

I think they take it pretty easy on marketing and sales in general. I don't think it's them trying to imply exclusivity but I could be wrong. Like you said, many wineries take this approach and end up on flash sites. Which is another reason why the CT values reflect the WTSO prices and why there is so much stock for them to move. I think they are looking to raise money for whatever reason (or looking to cash out soon?) and are using WTSO as the vehicle. Maybe retirement is getting expensive with no marketing campaign to move what you are making. Phone orders only? Jeez.

Great wines. I have ordered the 2007 previously and cracked one open not too long ago. No formal notes but I know it really opened up on day 2 and I enjoyed it. My other one is laying down and I'm considering another set right now to place alongside it.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:I only got 2 and have a feeling I will regret only getting 2

IMO (just my opinion) I guarantee you will regret only getting 2. As for the price I don't really care about CT valuations, what I do care about is what it tastes like and imo $35 shipped is a steal.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

tdedek

bdlsmoran wrote:Maison Nicolas Perrin Hermitage Blanc, 2008 Rhône Valley, France on vitis.com for $39.99 or $29.99 with FRNDVITIS or $24.99 with FRNDVITIS and invite -- Shipped (1)

91 points WS
90 CT

Let me know if you need an invite

Thanks for the invite. Went in on this, just a single because I'm curious. Can't see how Vitis came out on top with this one after paying you $20 for the referral.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Can someone send me a WTSO invite? I'm not a member and I want the current offer.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

2009 Atlas Peak Cab up @ WineShopper for $19.99/bottle. Interesting it's made with fruit from the Atlas Peak home vineyards, blended with small amounts of Cabernet from the other three Napa mountain AVAs (Howell Mountain, Mount Veeder, and Spring Mountain).

If you need a referral let me know, we each get some WineShopper credits

rjquillin

quality posts: 185 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:IMO (just my opinion) I guarantee you will regret only getting 2. As for the price I don't really care about CT valuations, what I do care about is what it tastes like and imo $35 shipped is a steal.

And you call me and enabler!?

CT

tdedek

loveladyelectric wrote:Can someone send me a WTSO invite? I'm not a member and I want the current offer.

No referral program on WTSO

bsevern

loveladyelectric wrote:Can someone send me a WTSO invite? I'm not a member and I want the current offer.

Don't think they do referrals....

How do I sign up?

Go to the main page of the WinesTilSoldOut site and click on the “Join Free” tab.

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:And you call me and enabler!?

Ha!

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
bsevern wrote:2009 Atlas Peak Cab up @ WineShopper for $19.99/bottle. Interesting it's made with fruit from the Atlas Peak home vineyards, blended with small amounts of Cabernet from the other three Napa mountain AVAs (Howell Mountain, Mount Veeder, and Spring Mountain).

Well, if I wanted Atlas Peak cab and was willing to pay $35/bottle like the Eagle's Trace, I think I'd get the 2002 pair up on Rue La La now.

There's also a couple of Mountain 3 year semi-aged verticals (Howell and Veeder) for $150. And I won't even mention the 2007 3L.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

bsevern

merbill wrote:Well, if I wanted Atlas Peak cab and was willing to pay $35/bottle like the Eagle's Trace, I think I'd get the 2002 pair up on Rue La La now.

There's also a couple of Mountain 3 year semi-aged verticals (Howell and Veeder) for $150. And I won't even mention the 2007 3L.

I haven't joined Rue La La.... not sure I want to

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
tytiger58 wrote:IMO (just my opinion) I guarantee you will regret only getting 2. As for the price I don't really care about CT valuations, what I do care about is what it tastes like and imo $35 shipped is a steal.

Only commented because this is the deals thread. Not saying anything about overall QPR, but when I see that the CT valuations are about the same price, and then hear it's been up a few times at the same price, it's not something I necessarily feel the need to jump on.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
bsevern wrote:I haven't joined Rue La La.... not sure I want to

they seem to only have a wine offer once every couple weeks or so...

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Any thoughts on the Cameron Hughes bundle on Groupon?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cameron-hughes-summer-wine-samplers

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
joelsisk wrote:Only commented because this is the deals thread. Not saying anything about overall QPR, but when I see that the CT valuations are about the same price, and then hear it's been up a few times at the same price, it's not something I necessarily feel the need to jump on.

You seem to be assuming that they repeat often. They don't. The last Eagles Trace offer I recall seeing was for the 2006 Cab, not the 2007. Before that it was the Latitude 38, which is more expensive than the Cab. Etc. Not saying they never repeat, but if they do it's pretty rare.

You're basically saying you don't feel any urgency to jump on it because you believe it will come up again relatively soon and at the same price. I'm suggesting it's not as certain as you might expect.

In the end it's no big deal if you miss out on any particular offer. I've missed out on lots of good offers for wines I like. But I see Eagles Trace Cab, and I see it's the 2007 vintage, and I think, "I should get some of that," not "maybe it will come up again later."

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
moondigger wrote:

In any case, while I appreciate the effort you all have been making to protect me from buying more, it is still available... and I think I'm gonna go in for a couple more.

If you read my statement again I think you'll find that it was not at all trying to keep you from buying. CT 92+ is high praise from the fickle and varied masses. Especially for a relatively cheap wine.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

moondigger

cmaldoon wrote:If you read my statement again I think you'll find that it was not at all trying to keep you from buying. CT 92+ is high praise from the fickle and varied masses. Especially for a relatively cheap wine.

I think you misunderstood my comment. Easier to follow if you read the posts in this order:

moondigger wrote:I figure if I tell all of you about it you'll buy it and they'll sell out before I give in and buy more.
tytiger58 wrote:I'm in!
jmdavidson wrote:Just to save you from yourself, I, too, ordered 2.

Then, later:

moondigger wrote:
[...]while I appreciate the effort you all have been making to protect me from buying more, it is still available... and I think I'm gonna go in for a couple more.

moondigger

moondigger wrote:2007 Eagles Trace Cabernet up at WTSO for $35/bottle, free shipping on 2 or more. I ordered 2.

I figure if I tell all of you about it you'll buy it and they'll sell out before I give in and buy more.

And... it's gone.

cmaldoon

moondigger wrote:And... it's gone.

Damn.... Sighs. After Tytiger's comment I wanted more. Oh well

My Cellar

cmaldoon

moondigger wrote:

Gotcha. Too many nuanced remarks layered atop eachother

My Cellar

bsevern

The question on the 2007 Eagles Trace Cabernet is whether to lay them down, or drink one now?

I got three, might just decant one, and try it over a couple of nights to get a read on it's aging characteristics. Being that it's a 2007, I should probably put them all in the time capsule for a few more years, but it's tempting to try one now

tdedek

bsevern wrote:The question on the 2007 Eagles Trace Cabernet is whether to lay them down, or drink one now?

I got three, might just decant one, and try it over a couple of nights to get a read on it's aging characteristics. Being that it's a 2007, I should probably put them all in the time capsule for a few more years, but it's tempting to try one now

That's why I like three packs - crack one now, still have 2 to do as you please.

moondigger

bsevern wrote:The question on the 2007 Eagles Trace Cabernet is whether to lay them down, or drink one now?

I have only two of the 2006, and am content with opening them when general consensus (CT, various forumites) dictates. However I have four of the 2007 on the way, and might well open one of them for the same purpose you mentioned. That still leaves me with three...

My budget dictates that I can't buy cases of $35 bottles. Were it otherwise, this wouldn't be an issue.

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Ha!

More Prado on the way...

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:More Prado on the way...

??????!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

????????????????????

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

WTSO
Cabernet Reserve 2010
Stonehedge Winery
Alexander Valley

This site is killing me, but they do like Cab's here

bsevern

fredrinaldi wrote:WTSO
Cabernet Reserve 2010
Stonehedge Winery
Alexander Valley

This site is killing me, but they do like Cab's here

After all this talk about killer cabs today... I think I'm going to drink a killer red tonight

Thinking about a bottle of that Jemrose many of us just got, but after reading the CT notes, looks like it could still use a few more years in the bottle....hmmmm...what to drink?

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Well, it was really tasty, and I hadn't had it before you two pulled corks......
You want I should go without, or just drink yours?

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Well, it was really tasty, and I hadn't had it before you two pulled corks......
You want I should go without, or just drink yours?

I thought we were even??? but if you have more i'm sure Kyle or I will take them all

As far as you going without well....A fool and his wine are soon parted

(notice the two winks please)

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:????????????????????

How'd the Ar hold up on the Prado we flooded, and the other bottles as well for that matter?

Notice any, some, much change?

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
bsevern wrote:After all this talk about killer cabs today... I think I'm going to drink a killer red tonight

Thinking about a bottle of that Jemrose many of us just got, but after reading the CT notes, looks like it could still use a few more years in the bottle....hmmmm...what to drink?

well??? the choice was ????

bsevern

fredrinaldi wrote:well??? the choice was ????

Just uncorked a bottle of 2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@! and got my big azz glass out, let's see how it is.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:How'd the Ar hold up on the Prado we flooded, and the other bottles as well for that matter?

Notice any, some, much change?

Drank it Tuesday night and noticed a little change, but it was still fantastic. The other bottles: about the same. Change but nothing drastic or significant.

supesk6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supesk6
bsevern wrote:2009 Atlas Peak Cab up @ WineShopper for $19.99/bottle. Interesting it's made with fruit from the Atlas Peak home vineyards, blended with small amounts of Cabernet from the other three Napa mountain AVAs (Howell Mountain, Mount Veeder, and Spring Mountain).

I hemmed and hawed on this one, but had a credit to burn, so finally pulled the trigger on 5. I haven't previously had any of their stuff, but I know other folks here are big fans of these guys, so decided at $19.99 per bottle I was willing to dip my toe in based on a lot of the positive feedback I've read.

Would I have been better served starting with one of their other single AVA offerings, and how long should I let these lay down before it is really worth pulling the cork and drinking?

joed10303

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joed10303

TO the spaniard 08 on invino in minis (100 ml) for $2.50, works out at under $19 for 750 ml

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

the 2009 nola white hawk vineyard syrah is up on invino for $45 (3 btls) free shipping. had the 2008 when it was offered a few months ago at $13 each. every bottle was seeping from the cork when it arrived, invino said they would issue a refund but asked me to try it first. well, it turned out that all 6 btls were not tainted by the seepage. it was a really good qpr. dont know if the 2009 has the same soft corks.

refridgerated ground shipping is $5 more. good insurance imo.

kylemittskus

joed10303 wrote:TO the spaniard 08 on invino in minis (100 ml) for $2.50, works out at under $19 for 750 ml

Shots!!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

2011 Galevan Cotes du Rhone, Paroles de Femme on WTSO. Probably not for much longer, though. It's a Garagiste producer, so if you want to try the kind of thing he sells without the commitment to his way of life, this is a $12 entry. That is also about what he charged last time around for the 2010 vintage of this wine.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT