rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
sdwindansea wrote:I do not believe I was the last bottle, at least not according to the credits. I'm more than willing to part with one of them if you would like. Just let me know.

PM for ya..

Edit: Sparky!

but it sure seems weak to claim that for this. Guess I'll pull it back if the next post is worthy, and let them claim it.

CT

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
chukon99 wrote:Yeah, that's pretty bad. At least that person wrote a tasting note, so you have something to go on. I saw a CT score written on a shelf tag in one store (94 on cellartracker!). Pulled it up on my phone and, sure enough, one user gave it a 94 with no notes. Unfortunately, the other handful of users scored it between 82-89 with varying notes.

Even worse is the in-house wine "reviewer" Jonathan Newman. The man never met a wine that wasn't a 90+ RAVE. 100% untrustworthy, imo.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
dah7m wrote:Even worse is the in-house wine "reviewer" Jonathan Newman. The man never met a wine that wasn't a 90+ RAVE. 100% untrustworthy, imo.

Jonathan Newman/WTSO = Wildred Wong/BevMo.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
dah7m wrote:Even worse is the in-house wine "reviewer" Jonathan Newman. The man never met a wine that wasn't a 90+ RAVE. 100% untrustworthy, imo.

89 napa rose by him now. doesent he have an interest in the company wtso?

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

2008 Jonata Todos Santa Ynez Valley Red is available at Lot 18 for $49.99. I know it’s retail but for those that still have credits this makes for a good deal.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Jonathan Newman/WTSO = Wildred Wong/BevMo.

Truth. However, saying that they score everything 90+ isn't accurate. IMO, it's more accurate to say the BevMo and WTSO choose many/most of their wines according to what WW/JN rate highly. No question they're linked, but I don't think either is a shill. I've learned to read WW's notes in a way to determine whether it's likely to be my style.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Truth. I've learned to read WW's notes in a way to determine whether it's likely to be my style.

You need to market that decoder ring...

CT

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
bud8jr wrote:89 napa rose by him now. doesent he have an interest in the company wtso?

I believe he is the owner of WTSO?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Last Bottle is at it again:

Keller Pinot Noir La Cruz 2007 half bottles for $12

I bought these last time they were up, and had one a few weeks back and it was tasty.

CT notes: 8/6/2012 rated 90 points.

Candied dark chocolate cherry on the nose, wisps of orange rind.

Juicy cherry pie, crushed strawberries, bit of earth on the palate. Opened up nicely as the evening went on, further nuances, and layers developed, including a nice allsprice component. Well balanced, nice structure, good acidity.

Glad I got this nice buy from Last Bottle, should be interesting to see how these develop in a few more years.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bsevern wrote:Last Bottle is at it again:

Keller Pinot Noir La Cruz 2007 half bottles for $12

I bought these last time they were up, and had one a few weeks back and it was tasty.

CT notes: 8/6/2012 rated 90 points.

Candied dark chocolate cherry on the nose, wisps of orange rind.

Juicy cherry pie, crushed strawberries, bit of earth on the palate. Opened up nicely as the evening went on, further nuances, and layers developed, including a nice allsprice component. Well balanced, nice structure, good acidity.

Glad I got this nice buy from Last Bottle, should be interesting to see how these develop in a few more years.

Second this. Love having nice wines purchased cheaply in the half-bottle format. Makes for a good mid-week treat when I'm by myself.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Muscardini Cabernet/Merlot up on Invino for $26.99. They really like it apparently w a 93 point 'insider' rating.

I don't think we've seen Muscardini around Woot in a while, but I can't tell you for sure since the search engine seems to be broken for me.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

there's a Cahors Malbec on WTSO right now that has shows decent potential if you are the cellaring type. I love Cahors Malbec so much right now I just thought I'd share.

bdlsmoran

Wine.com is offering half off their Steward-Ship program through Sunday August 26th with code "SSAFF".

chipgreen

quality posts: 175 Private Messages chipgreen
bdlsmoran wrote:2008 Jonata Todos Santa Ynez Valley Red is available at Lot 18 for $49.99. I know it’s retail but for those that still have credits this makes for a good deal.

2 bottles of the 2007 vintage available at Hart Davis Hart for $45 apiece. They have some good deals on the site, click on the link for "Discounted Wines" on the bottom left side of their home page. I purchased several wines for approx. half of their average CT value.

kylemittskus

bdlsmoran wrote:2008 Jonata Todos Santa Ynez Valley Red is available at Lot 18 for $49.99. I know it’s retail but for those that still have credits this makes for a good deal.

So Lot18 is selling wine at retail price and there is currently another site selling the wine for cheaper. ...And why isn't Lot18's business model working?

bdlsmoran

Invino has a South African Mixed Six for $39.99 with shipping included, estimated retail is $100 (take that for what’s it’s worth). I think I remember from previous post there has not been much success with Invino’s mixed (For this mixed six-pack, we do not guarantee six different wines, but we do our best to ensure it.) packs. Any feedback on this?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Last Bottle currently is offering a dessert wine: Chateau Tirecul La Graviere 2003 Monbazillac in a 500mL bottle, retails at $50, they have it for $32. Just for fun, I looked at the two CT notes showing, both of which gave it a 91, one saying it was a good value. The WineSearcher link on the CT page only turned up one listing, and for the first time ever, it's in Buffalo! Their price: $22.99, with a 10% discount on a full or mixed case. We all knew that these other sites tend to exaggerate the list prices, but this is the worst example I've run across.
I used to shop at that store a lot, before w.w came along, and I loved their discount policy. They won't discount wines on sale, but they count them toward the case, so you can buy 11 sale wines and one that's not on sale, and they give you 10% off that one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
bdlsmoran wrote:Invino has a South African Mixed Six for $39.99 with shipping included, estimated retail is $100 (take that for what’s it’s worth). I think I remember from previous post there has not been much success with Invino’s mixed (For this mixed six-pack, we do not guarantee six different wines, but we do our best to ensure it.) packs. Any feedback on this?

I wondered about this offer too... As it includes ground shipping it doesn't seem to be a bad deal.

rjquillin

bdlsmoran wrote:Invino has a South African Mixed Six for $39.99 with shipping included, estimated retail is $100 (take that for what’s it’s worth). I think I remember from previous post there has not been much success with Invino’s mixed (For this mixed six-pack, we do not guarantee six different wines, but we do our best to ensure it.) packs. Any feedback on this?

I've heard a few positive comments on SA wines, but don't recall the details, as rpm has admonished us to do. Couldn't find all of these and some of the notes were meh on the ones I did find. I too would be interested should someone with a bit more knowledge hopefully comment.

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:I've heard a few positive comments on SA wines, but don't recall the details, as rpm has admonished us to do. Couldn't find all of these and some of the notes were meh on the ones I did find. I too would be interested should someone with a bit more knowledge hopefully comment.

I split a case of the 2008 Rooiberg Reserve Merlot with a co-worker, and it's pretty darn good.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a Keenan Spring Mt Reserve, nor does it share the same price tag. Don't know about the rest, I have a Pinotage in my cellar, but have yet to try it. Geesh for $39 delivered, it's worth a flyer.

bdlsmoran

bsevern wrote:I split a case of the 2008 Rooiberg Reserve Merlot with a co-worker, and it's pretty darn good.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a Keenan Spring Mt Reserve, nor does it share the same price tag. Don't know about the rest, I have a Pinotage in my cellar, but have yet to try it. Geesh for $39 delivered, it's worth a flyer.

I'm thinking that too, for $40 what the heck. Noticed too the free shipping applies to other bottles when this is ordered.

rjquillin

bdlsmoran wrote:I'm thinking that too, for $40 what the heck. Noticed too the free shipping applies to other bottles when this is ordered.

Govino!

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bdlsmoran wrote:I'm thinking that too, for $40 what the heck. Noticed too the free shipping applies to other bottles when this is ordered.

I didn't realize that. I've been mulling over that SA offer, and this makes it more attractive.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

If you are in the Seattle area cases of Whitman Cellars wine are being liquidated this weekend and next weekend. Most of the cases are $96. If you are interested pm and I will forward the email.

bsevern

WTSO has Flora Springs Cab Franc for $19/bottle.

I picked up some of this last December when they had it up, but have yet to try it.

Anyone had Flora's Cab Franc?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

Right now on WTSO: Clos LaChance Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 at $12.99 each. Based on CT and the feedback on prior wine woot offers, seems like a good deal.

kylemittskus

Pretty sick Barolo offer from WL: $25, 300 cases produced, very limited US import, 91 WS. In for 2.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Pretty sick Barolo offer from WL: $25, 300 cases produced, very limited US import, 91 WS. In for 2.

I'm weak just added that to my pending file

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tytiger58 wrote:I'm weak just added that to my pending file

Just too easy with free shipping. In for 3. I'll have it sent the last week of October with my San Roman Toro too.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:Just too easy with free shipping. In for 3. I'll have it sent the last week of October with my San Roman Toro too.

That's all you have? I have like 3 cases on hold. And tyger has like 10. Seriously.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
kylemittskus wrote:That's all you have? I have like 3 cases on hold. And tyger has like 10. Seriously.

I have 300 bottles of space max and try to buy at just a bit more than my consumption pace. Plus I have so many places to buy from. I have to cull the best offers (Like a case of 2007 Sawyer library reserve Napa cab MSRP $110, purchased at $23+ tax per). 3.5 cases on the RPM tour... the usual 5-10 cases from woot per year... just not THAT much room for WL/CW purchases.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Pretty sick Barolo offer from WL: $25, 300 cases produced, very limited US import, 91 WS. In for 2.

Minimal experience with or Barolo in the cellar. Short of the wiki I just read thru that cited "Barolo wars", what can I learn from the group on this? New or old style? Compare to anything?

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:That's all you have? I have like 3 cases on hold. And tyger has like 10. Seriously.

I only have like 5 cases at WL that have been building all summer..what killed me is the mailer buys I made this year, Bedrock,Ceritas,Copain,Williams Selyem and Halcon, not to mention the bottles on hold at Last bottle and Empire it's going to be an exiciting October this year That Halcon buy at $20 a bottle per case and free shipping might be the best buy all year!

BTW Kyle some of those bottles at LB are yours.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Minimal experience with or Barolo in the cellar. Short of the wiki I just read thru that cited "Barolo wars", what can I learn from the group on this? New or old style? Compare to anything?

I LOVE Barolo. As far as the style of this particular wine, I'm not sure where it stands in relation to the overall style of the region. The WS note makes it sound like it leans a bit to the old, but I'm not sure. What I can tell you is that $25 for well-reviewed Barolo is an easy buy. Wish I had more $$ to spend right now, but 2 will have to do.

@Tyger: the 05 Reignac Bordeaux?

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
rjquillin wrote:Minimal experience with or Barolo in the cellar. Short of the wiki I just read thru that cited "Barolo wars", what can I learn from the group on this? New or old style? Compare to anything?

From the WS note, it sounds like a fairly modern wine. Mentions of chocolate and chewy tannins don't sound like varietal characteristic to me. But the CT notes indicate better than expected varietal character:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=954630

The WS review is from James Suckling, one of the most hilariously self-unaware wine doofi out there. Modern or traditional, based off the CT notes I'd say this is a buy.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

angryprez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryprez
kylemittskus wrote:So Lot18 is selling wine at retail price and there is currently another site selling the wine for cheaper. ...And why isn't Lot18's business model working?

Ever since they got their last round of venture funding, I've noticed a distinct change in their pricing model. Rare to see anything with more the a modest ($5-$10) price advantage.

More common is that I can find a better price elsewhere with a quick Google search and also on wine-searcher.

I'm not sure I understand how this model is sustainable.

tytiger58

@Tyger: the 05 Reignac Bordeaux?[/quote]

yep

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:That Halcon buy at $20 a bottle per case and free shipping might be the best buy all year!

Ty, you get to taste any of the Alturas or Esquisto? Is this a flyer for you, or have you had previous vintages?
Great looking comments on CT, what there are of them.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Ty, you get to taste any of the Alturas or Esquisto? Is this a flyer for you, or have you had previous vintages?

He's had the previous vintage of the Alturas because he's a baby killer. This is the first vintage of the Esquisto.

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Ty, you get to taste any of the Alturas or Esquisto? Is this a flyer for you, or have you had previous vintages?

Have had a few of the 09 Syrah and 6 more in the cellar and it was beautiful IMHO, Copain makes another highly rated Syrah from the same vineyard and fwiw costs a bit more. It's low ABV 13.7 iirc and beautiful fruit and structure just a great wine, buy some of the 09 if you don't think it is a great value and great cali syrah I will buy them from you. Also pretty excited to try the Mourvedre pretty sure you can get free shipping