kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Totally interested, anyone in Seattle interested in splitting?

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
cmaldoon wrote:I want one. But just 1. If the Bay Area can get interest together I'm in for it!

I'm leaning the same way. It sounds like it's worth a try. "Aged for a mind-boggling 18 YEARS on its lees!!"

Any other takers?

Edit: I went in on 4. Let me know if anyone else wants to split.

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot
random122 wrote:I'm leaning the same way. It sounds like it's worth a try. "Aged for a mind-boggling 18 YEARS on its lees!!"

Any other takers?

Edit: I went in on 4. Let me know if anyone else wants to split.

I was intrigued by this, but the CT notes are extremely meh. The indefatigable Richard Jennings drank it on two occasions, wrote specific notes, and gave one bottle 82 and one 90. The other users' notes don't make it sound like anything special either.

How reliable do people find the Last Bottle write ups? In general, I find their detailed notes to be accurate, but they do like their hyperbole:

"THIS is one of the coolest wines we have EVER offered on Last Bottle."

Has anyone here been steered wrong by the Last Bottle write ups? If this is as good as they say, it would be a very good buy. But I'm just not sure.

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

I'm going to jump in and give it a try. check this info http://www.thewineconsultant.com/wine/3029/

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
blakewoot wrote:
How reliable do people find the Last Bottle write ups? In general, I find their detailed notes to be accurate, but they do like their hyperbole:

"THIS is one of the coolest wines we have EVER offered on Last Bottle."

Has anyone here been steered wrong by the Last Bottle write ups? If this is as good as they say, it would be a very good buy. But I'm just not sure.

In general I've been pretty happy with the LB write ups, of course they do like to hype their offers.

Other then a few corked bottles (not their fault) I've been really happy with all of my LB buys and I have had some terrific buys. I actually quit buying from Invino as I found so many of their offers to be sub-par, and their write ups felt a bit dishonest after receiving some vile bottles of wine that had stellar write ups.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
bsevern wrote:In general I've been pretty happy with the LB write ups, of course they do like to hype their offers.

Other then a few corked bottles (not their fault) I've been really happy with all of my LB buys and I have had some terrific buys. I actually quit buying from Invino as I found so many of their offers to be sub-par, and their write ups felt a bit dishonest after receiving some vile bottles of wine that had stellar write ups.

+1

They'll put "94 points" in the headline, but it turns out that's what they rated the wine, not an independent critic. It's sleazy, like WTSO and Jonathan Newman.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
blakewoot wrote:

I find that I have to be at least as careful with the LB write-ups as from any other source.

I particularly stay away from most of their low end offerings; despite their "enthusiasm" the ones I've gotten have generally been on the same level as one would get from Trader Joe's for the same price. I've been more successful on their cheap offerings during their madness sales - of course it's easier then to just get one or two bottles.

Generally with both WTSO and LB I look at their offerings with a higher degree of skepticism than I do what is offered here at woot. The comments of participants here makes a big difference.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

My take on wanting one bottle is that it is a very interesting bottle I'd like to experience. I don't have much champagne experience and I want to add something unique like this to it.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
noslensj wrote:I find that I have to be at least as careful with the LB write-ups as from any other source.

I particularly stay away from most of their low end offerings; despite their "enthusiasm"

I try to stay away from most of their write-ups, except for maybe flavor profiles since everything is incredible or a crazy steal once in a lifetime deal. A little googling helps a bit, but sometimes the wine seems interesting enough on its own to be worth a stab in the semi-dark.

wisemas2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wisemas2
redwinefan wrote:I'm a bit confused on Londer PN. In 2008, apparently they released a non-estate PN instead of estate possibly due to smoke issues. I picked it up fairly cheap (approx $15).

I also have 2007 estate grown in my cellar which I picked up for about $25/bottle.

I guess I was expecting better deals from LB on this 2010 since it is a going out of business sale for Londer.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/48399

Londer has closed. They sold all of their 2011's to the PLCB. They are $18.99/bottle.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
cmaldoon wrote:My take on wanting one bottle is that it is a very interesting bottle I'd like to experience. I don't have much champagne experience and I want to add something unique like this to it.

Surprisingly, it's still available - I just picked up two bottles. If it's anything like the 1998 Iron Horse Russian Cuvee I recently tasted (compliments of North316), I will be very happy. The IH was a yeast bomb but in a very good way.

cmaldoon

Invino has winetasting.com's 100ml bottles up for $3/ bottle. 8 or so to choose from including Gundlach Bundschu 2007 reserve red. That's the equivalent of paying 22.50 for a bottle of that $70 (occasionally availible for $40) wine.

I went in for a case of the little ones and a few others to bump me over $50 to get free shipping. All told $54.92 for 1600ml taxed and delivered.

My Cellar

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

Cmaldoon -- want to send me an invite code for Invino?

cmaldoon

moondigger wrote:Cmaldoon -- want to send me an invite code for Invino?

PM sent

My Cellar

moondigger

cmaldoon wrote:I went in for a case of the little ones and a few others to bump me over $50 to get free shipping.

As I browse the site and add items to my cart, it's telling me to add $XX to my cart to get "$10 ground shipping," where XX is the difference between the cost of items in my cart and $50. What magic must I work to get free shipping?

cmaldoon

moondigger wrote:As I browse the site and add items to my cart, it's telling me to add $XX to my cart to get "$10 ground shipping," where XX is the difference between the cost of items in my cart and $50. What magic must I work to get free shipping?

Ah, probably live in CA. They are NorCal based and as I now recall they base their shipping prices based on 2-3 rings. Your $10 discounted shipping probably costs them about the same as shipping to me.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Ty is having a 50% off on select wines sale for 48 hours. His Library wines and Caton Cabernet Collection wines not included.

TyTanium is $40 ...

Just go to his web site, and the link for the sale is right there.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

coolac5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolac5

Great offer from Invino on Meomi 2011 Pinot Noir. All single vineyard sourced grapes from Monterey, Sonoma, and Santa Barbara counties. At $16.99 a bottle, that is the lowest price I have seen. However, I purchased on WTSO @ $17.99 each, but no tax here to CA and free shipping at 4 or more. So that makes the WTSO deal a little better, but regardless, if your a fan of Pinot, I think you will really like Meomi.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I grabbed four of the 2007 Miner Family Aia Bordeaux blend at LB for $19. Looks like it's gone now.

bsevern

loveladyelectric wrote:I grabbed four of the 2007 Miner Family Aia Bordeaux blend at LB for $19. Looks like it's gone now.

It ran out as I was trying to buy it....actually I blew it, as there was one bottle left, and when I'd try to up it to four bottles, it would reset it to one, should've taken the last bottle, could've got the $25 credit

Oh well, don't really need any more wine, but it did look like a very nice deal.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
bsevern wrote:It ran out as I was trying to buy it....actually I blew it, as there was one bottle left, and when I'd try to up it to four bottles, it would reset it to one, should've taken the last bottle, could've got the $25 credit

Oh well, don't really need any more wine, but it did look like a very nice deal.

Way to be an assist killer.

bsevern

Livingsocial has a very interesting deal on everyone's favorite Sunce Winery

• $48 ($140 value) for a tour with barrel tasting & take-home bottle
• $200 ($460 value) for a mystery tasting & take-home case of mystery wines
• Each tour is for two people

The $200 deal with the take-home case seems like it could be a decent deal, depending on what they give you.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Lynsolence St. Emilion Grand Cru 2001 on LB for $26. FS on 3. I would take one as part of a split.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bsevern wrote:Livingsocial has a very interesting deal on everyone's favorite Sunce Winery

• $48 ($140 value) for a tour with barrel tasting & take-home bottle
• $200 ($460 value) for a mystery tasting & take-home case of mystery wines
• Each tour is for two people

The $200 deal with the take-home case seems like it could be a decent deal, depending on what they give you.

A) those people crazy.

B) Holy inflated pricing!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

Rue La La doesn't get mentioned much around here anymore since we had to kill the referral links....

Anyway, today they have Invino selling a 4 bottle French Wine set (3 reds & a Chard) for $69. You also get a $10 credit for a future Invino purchase. Since they're actually selling a code to use on the Invino site, there's no RLL shipping charge.

But what's really interesting is tomorrow RLL is going to have Atlas Peak wines. Probably pricey relative to woot sales, plus $10 shipping. Atlas Peak is an rpm tour favorite and worth considering if its in your budget.

PM if you need invite codes for RLL or Invino.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Just picked up 4 bottles of
Chianti Classico DOCG
Savignola Paolina 2009
WTSO

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I can't believe there wasn't more talk about the Try Canton 50% deal.
I got a case:
3 Tytaniums
3 Ballfield Syrahs
3 blends
and 3 Desert Wines.
Can't hardly wait.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
randysanders wrote:I can't believe there wasn't more talk about the Try Canton 50% deal.
I got a case:
3 Tytaniums
3 Ballfield Syrahs
3 blends
and 3 Desert Wines.
Can't hardly wait.

Not to much talk because:

1) Ty is a little of his luster on woot
2) While good deals, those are all at, or above woot prices
3) Shipping is discounted, but still higher than woot.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders
North316 wrote:Not to much talk because:

1) Ty is a little of his luster on woot
2) While good deals, those are all at, or above woot prices
3) Shipping is discounted, but still higher than woot.

However, it was satisfying to put together a nice case, even though shipping was ridiculous.

jrdnmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrdnmiller

Cheapskate Wednesday on WTSO tomorrow.. Will change wines every 15 minutes from what they say

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
randysanders wrote:I can't believe there wasn't more talk about the Try Canton 50% deal.
I got a case:
3 Tytaniums
3 Ballfield Syrahs
3 blends
and 3 Desert Wines.
Can't hardly wait.

Only winery I know that can knock 1/2 off of its wines and it makes me still feel its too expensive. So i didn't even look.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:Only winery I know that can knock 1/2 off of its wines and it makes me still feel its too expensive. So i didn't even look.

Looks like he dropped a few prices back to what they were about 2 years ago. Doesn't negate your point (which I agree with) but at least it's a couple dollars better.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
coolac5 wrote:Great offer from Invino on Meomi 2011 Pinot Noir. All single vineyard sourced grapes from Monterey, Sonoma, and Santa Barbara counties. At $16.99 a bottle, that is the lowest price I have seen. However, I purchased on WTSO @ $17.99 each, but no tax here to CA and free shipping at 4 or more. So that makes the WTSO deal a little better, but regardless, if your a fan of Pinot, I think you will really like Meomi.

Picked up a few of these from Costco for $15.39 (inc tax). This is absolutely a 'new world' style with tons of fruit-in-your-face, so if you're looking for that, fine; but it absolutely is not a reserved style. Screw top, if that matters.

CT

fredrinaldi

jrdnmiller wrote:Cheapskate Wednesday on WTSO tomorrow.. Will change wines every 15 minutes from what they say

nice, just picked up
Alexander Valley Cabernet
Yokayo 'Buteo' 2007 on WTSO cheap Wed.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
fredrinaldi wrote:nice, just picked up

You must have gotten mine. Tried to order but sold out before I could finish.

You could send me one!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

LB has Derbyshire Pinot Noir Reserve San Simeon 2007 for $20/bottle. Any PN drinkers that could shed some light on this one?

bsevern

fredrinaldi wrote:nice, just picked up

If it was properly stored correctly, this is some outstanding cab! How cheap was cheap?

moondigger

bsevern wrote:If it was properly stored correctly, this is some outstanding cab! How cheap was cheap?

I tried to get it but it sold out before I could check out. All wines on WTSO today are $18.99 or less, free shipping on 4 or more. I think this one was $18.99, but can't check now because I didn't get it.

I did get the 2004 RustRidge Cabernet, Chiles Valley. $15/bottle. Has anybody had it before?

bsevern

moondigger wrote:I tried to get it but it sold out before I could check out. All wines on WTSO today are $18.99 or less, free shipping on 4 or more. I think this one was $18.99, but can't check now because I didn't get it.

I did get the 2004 RustRidge Cabernet, Chiles Valley. $15/bottle. Has anybody had it before?

Yep, I like RustRidge Cab (Chiles Valley is part of Napa Valley) and LOVE their Chard, and I'm not a big Chard drinker. I'd love to see some of their Chard come up....geesh...dang job getting in the way and all!

fredrinaldi

bsevern wrote:If it was properly stored correctly, this is some outstanding cab! How cheap was cheap?

$14.99 each bought 4 got free shipping