chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
fredrinaldi wrote:Cracked open a RBW "Bad Moon Rising" (a little tribute to CCR) not disappointed !
Go Kings !!!!

If you hear of any good deals, post 'em in the "What are ya drinking tonight?" thread.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Poizin @ WM $8.99, not my style, but many seem to like it here.

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Poizin @ WM $8.99, not my style, but many seem to like it here.

I didn't like it either, nor did I care for the accompanying Antidote. That is a good price, though. CT average is $20, WW was charging $16 + shipping (for the 2009 vintage).

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Poizin @ WM $8.99, not my style, but many seem to like it here.

WM ??

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
fredrinaldi wrote:WM ??

World Market?

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

chipgreen

funbunny wrote:World Market?

That was my guess also.

rjquillin

fredrinaldi wrote:WM ??

Yes, World Market, aka Cost Plus.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Paging Fred
Last bottle has
2007 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley for $28.
Good vintage, good winery which I have visited in the past. Price isn't that great I guess compared to ct avg. I think this sells for $36 from the winery.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
chipgreen wrote:I didn't like it either, nor did I care for the accompanying Antidote. That is a good price, though. CT average is $20, WW was charging $16 + shipping (for the 2009 vintage).

The rpm Magical History Tour visited Armida in 2008. I had not had their wines before and I tasted probably 18-20 of their reds. These were mostly 04s and 05s. I think I found 1 wine out the entire bunch that I could drink. All over them were overripe fruit, high alcohol, high tannin, low pH, modern wines. Often, but not always, a bit of residual sugar left.

I think the concept of PoiZin is what we would have called "high camp" in my youth, just the thing to serve on Halloween at a Horror-themed party. Think the Bonzo Dog doing Monster Mash.

Anyway, for me at least, the execution never lived up to the possibilities.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Any thoughts on 2009 Maroon cab on WTSO?

"The older I get the better I was"

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
losthighwayz wrote:Any thoughts on 2009 Maroon cab on WTSO?

Invino premier has a Maroon 2009 reserve cab which is much more interesting to me. Has anyone had ANY maroon wines? Thoughts?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Invino premier has a Maroon 2009 reserve cab which is much more interesting to me. Has anyone had ANY maroon wines? Thoughts?

No help here. I've got 4 of an '07 Zin, but not yet pulled a cork.
I keep seeing these and have wondered the same things. Plenty of hype, but do they deliver?

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
cmaldoon wrote:Invino premier has a Maroon 2009 reserve cab which is much more interesting to me. Has anyone had ANY maroon wines? Thoughts?

Of the 4 bottles of 2007 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Old "M" Block Maroon Vineyard, I have had 3 of them. All were delicious. Good fruit, good tannins and complex. It was apparent that this was a well made wine.

The Reserve is $45, while the Spring Mtn is $25. Hard to say if it's worth the difference to buy the more expensive one.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

The 2007 Maroon Zinfandel was fantastic (careful when opening, as it actually has a fancy glass stopper).

The one bottle of 2007 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Old "M" Block Maroon Vineyard I tried was also fantastic, once it opened up. I've put the other three bottles down, as they should age beautifully.

I also picked up and consumed one bottle thus far of their 2008 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Blend. This one wasn't as good as I thought it should be, BUT I also think it needs time in the bottle to develop.

Would I spend $45 on the Maroon Cab Reserve on Invino....probably not, although I suspect it'll be a fantastic wine, but I have so much cab right now I'm not looking to add more high end bottles that need aging to my hoard. The 2009 Spring Mountain Cab on WTSO is tempting, both because Spring Mountain fruit tends to be incredible, and I've been quite impressed with Maroon reds, but again I don't need more wine to age. I realize they didn't make the earlier vintages, but if it was a 2001, 2004, 2005, or perhaps even a 2007, for the price, I'd be all over it.

losthighwayz

bsevern wrote:The 2007 Maroon Zinfandel was fantastic (careful when opening, as it actually has a fancy glass stopper).

The one bottle of 2007 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Old "M" Block Maroon Vineyard was also fantastic once it opened up. I've put the other three bottles down, as it should age beautifully.

I also picked up and consumed one bottle thus far of their 2008 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Blend. This one wasn't as good as I thought it should be, BUT I also think it needs time in the bottle to develop

Would I spend $45 on the Maroon Cab Reserve on Invino....probably not, although I suspect it'll be a fantastic wine, but I have so much cab right now I'm not looking to add more high end bottles that need aging to my hoard. The 2009 Spring Mountain Cab on WTSO is tempting, both because Spring Mountain fruit tends to be incredible, and I've been quite impressed with Maroon reds, but
again I don't need more wine to age. I realize they didn't make the earlier vintages, but if it was a 2001, 2004, 2005, or perhaps even a 2007, for the price, I'd be all over it.

Thanks for your feedback!

losthighwayz

jmdavidson wrote:Of the 4 bottles of 2007 Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon Old "M" Block Maroon Vineyard, I have had 3 of them. All were delicious. Good fruit, good tannins and complex. It was apparent that this was a well made wine.

The Reserve is $45, while the Spring Mtn is $25. Hard to say if it's worth the difference to buy the more expensive one.

Good to know. Thanks for input

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
rpm wrote:The rpm Magical History Tour visited Armida in 2008. I had not had their wines before and I tasted probably 18-20 of their reds. These were mostly 04s and 05s. I think I found 1 wine out the entire bunch that I could drink. All over them were overripe fruit, high alcohol, high tannin, low pH, modern wines. Often, but not always, a bit of residual sugar left.

You got through that many while we were there?!? I think I might have managed to taste two wines. After lunch at Seghesio, I just wanted to take a nap, and the thought of a hot, peppery zin was not appealing.

On the other hand, I recently had a bottle of the 2006 Poizin. It wasn't close to as hot as I remembered. (And tasting notes from PolarBear and HAK on cellar tracker say the same thing.)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

fredrinaldi

Cesare wrote:Paging Fred
Last bottle has
2007 St. Clement Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley for $28.
Good vintage, good winery which I have visited in the past. Price isn't that great I guess compared to ct avg. I think this sells for $36 from the winery.

darn missed that, thanks for keeping me in mind Cesare

fredrinaldi

California sun.....Sangria day, mummmmmm

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
fredrinaldi wrote:California sun.....Sangria day, mummmmmm

Why does Fred always think this is the "what are ya drinking thread"?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Why does Fred always think this is the "what are ya drinking thread"?

Because he's drinking...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Because he's drinking...

QFT!

CT

bsevern

The Jemrose Gloria's Gem on LB looks very interesting, the many CT reviews are very positive....bummer the min order for free shipping is 6...don't have room for 6.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Anybody have some words of enablement regarding the 2008 Jemrose Gloria's Gem on Last Bottle for $30 per?

Don't think I'll go in on 6, but considering 2 or 3...

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
bsevern wrote:The Jemrose Gloria's Gem on LB looks very interesting, the many CT reviews are very positive....bummer the min order for free shipping is 6...don't have room for 6.

Just went in on 3 bottles, only a little over $10 in shipping. Still about $20 below CT average with shipping figured in. Can't buy it anywhere else for less than $59.99 according to Wine Searcher.

Got all the enabling I needed from the WB thread. Apparently, Jemrose sold the rest of their 08 Gloria's Gem to Last Bottle and here they are while they last.

bsevern

Lowest price on winesearcher is $60 without shipping.

If this is as good as advertised, which I believe it to be, as Michael Browne of Kosta-Browne makes amazing new world styled wines, this is a very nice buy, even if you have to pay shipping (and unfortunately for us in CA, TAX).

Looks like it has the stuffing to age well too:

2008 Gloria's Gem

The 2008 Jemrose Gloria’s Gem is of our signature wine and is composed from barrels from our Cardiac Hill Syrah vineyard and Two Sisters Merlot vineyard. This unique blend is intended to provide the best of what the Jemrose Vineyard and Bennett Valley AVA can offer. The wine has been aged for 20 months in French oak barrels consisting of 50% new barrels.

Winemakers notes:
The wine delivers abundant aromas of cassis, currents, plum, kirsch, dark berries and espresso. A velvety and plush texture displaying rich flavors of berry, cocoa, and spice. Full flavored and fleshy but not heavy in the least bit. The finish is long, elegant and quite enduring. Seductive and sleek.

Blend: 55% Syrah and 45% Merlot
Alcohol: 14.2 %
Total Acidity: 6.3 g/l
Final pH: 3.56
Cases: 400
Retail Price: $65.00

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Norcal split on the Jemrose?

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
tdedek wrote:Just went in on 3 bottles, only a little over $10 in shipping. Still about $20 below CT average with shipping figured in. Can't buy it anywhere else for less than $59.99 according to Wine Searcher.

Got all the enabling I needed from the WB thread. Apparently, Jemrose sold the rest of their 08 Gloria's Gem to Last Bottle and here they are while they last.

You won't be disappointed, I bought some of this from the WB deal...good stuff.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

In for 2 -- Enablers - damn you

bsevern

random122 wrote:Norcal split on the Jemrose?

Bummer I already went in ...I could see if I can raise my order by 3 to get free shipping, do you want 3? Where are you located in NorCal? I'm in the southbay area.

chipgreen

bdlsmoran wrote:In for 2 -- Enablers - damn you

Ditto. Would be nice to see Jemrose back on WW, it's been a couple years since they offered their Foggy Knoll Grenache.

random122

bsevern wrote:Bummer I already went in ...I could see if I can raise my order by 3 to get free shipping, do you want 3? Where are you located in NorCal? I'm in the southbay area.

That (3) would work for me if they'll let you. I'll send you a PM.

bsevern

random122 wrote:That (3) would work for me if they'll let you. I'll send you a PM.

6 ordered, I replied to your PM.

bsevern

I emailed the winery on the Jemrose deal to inquire as to it's aging potential and received a nice reply:

Hi Brian,

The wine does have aging potential. While it is drinking beautifully now it can easily hold for 5-10 more years. The 2006 vintage of this wine which was our first release still has retained its rich fruit palate and developed nicely on the nose. If you purchase some I would try a bottle soon after purchase and hold the rest for a later date.

Hope this helps.

Jim Mack
Jemrose Vineyards
6628 Bennett Valley Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
847 989 729

> Greetings!
>
> Can you please tell me the aging potential for this wine? The specs and CT notes lead me to believe it’s still very youthful and will potentially develop into something even greater with (significant?) aging?
>
> Thank you,
> Brian
>

--

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:The Jemrose Gloria's Gem on LB looks very interesting, the many CT reviews are very positive....bummer the min order for free shipping is 6...don't have room for 6.

Any in SoCal up for a split?

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:6 ordered, I replied to your PM.

I would take one or two of the six if it makes the split easier, but don't increase on my behalf. I really don't need more wine

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:6 ordered, I replied to your PM.

Brian, want to add another three?

CT

random122

trifecta wrote:I would take one or two of the six if it makes the split easier, but don't increase on my behalf. I really don't need more wine

You can have one of my three if you like.

tytiger58

bsevern wrote:I emailed the winery on the Jemrose deal to inquire as to it's aging potential and received a nice reply:

Hi Brian,

The wine does have aging potential. While it is drinking beautifully now it can easily hold for 5-10 more years. The 2006 vintage of this wine which was our first release still has retained its rich fruit palate and developed nicely on the nose. If you purchase some I would try a bottle soon after purchase and hold the rest for a later date.

Hope this helps.

Jim Mack
Jemrose Vineyards
6628 Bennett Valley Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
847 989 729

> Greetings!
>
> Can you please tell me the aging potential for this wine? The specs and CT notes lead me to believe it’s still very youthful and will potentially develop into something even greater with (significant?) aging?
>
> Thank you,
> Brian
>

--

Jim is a class act and makes a pretty nice Viognier too.

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Any in SoCal up for a split?

Yes!