chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I somehow overlooked that email until I just saw this. Going to see what I can get some of that Riesling for, but I have a feeling the shipping will kill any deal.

Edit: We are truly spoiled here at woot. $46 savings almost completely wiped out by $28.95 shipping and $5.81 in sales tax, on only 6 bottles.

I had almost identical tax and shipping charges but saved another $34 thanks to the extra 20% off for wine club members.

Membership has its privileges!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:I had almost identical tax and shipping charges but saved another $34 thanks to the extra 20% off for wine club members.

Membership has its privileges!

I would have joined his club a long time ago but I just can't stomach those shipping prices 4 times a year (or even once with combined shipping!), but everytime I mention SH the wife questions: "Jana Riesling"?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I would have joined his club a long time ago but I just can't stomach those shipping prices 4 times a year (or even once with combined shipping!), but everytime I mention SH the wife questions: "Jana Riesling"?

Mona has been quite accommodating to some of my requests; wondering if she would hold a shipment and aggregate shipments for you, assuming they were paid for at release. Just thinking out ASCII.

CT

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Speaking of SH, cellarangels.com has his '07 1869 Zin for $36 til Saturday. Shipping is $1 on a case, but not sure how much it is for fewer bottles. Also seems like you need to order in 3-bottle increments. A portion of the proceeds goes to charity (you choose which one from a list).

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I would have joined his club a long time ago but I just can't stomach those shipping prices 4 times a year (or even once with combined shipping!), but everytime I mention SH the wife questions: "Jana Riesling"?

Yes, the tax/shipping charges negate the savings for club shipments so I was soaking up one of my rare opportunities to gloat about it! I'm not sure what's up with charging tax for OH, maybe the Jana portion of the winery is incorporated in OH?

North316

chipgreen wrote:Yes, the tax/shipping charges negate the savings for club shipments so I was soaking up one of my rare opportunities to gloat about it! I'm not sure what's up with charging tax for OH, maybe the Jana portion of the winery is incorporated in OH?

Sales tax is applicable for all sales in Ohio, with woot and most other sites, the tax is just built into the price.

My CT

chukon99

chipgreen wrote:I'm not sure what's up with charging tax for OH, maybe the Jana portion of the winery is incorporated in OH?

Most states require collection of sales tax as part of having a direct shipping license. MI is the same way. Direct shippers are required to collect sales tax and make quarterly payments to the state. Most of the time I see a separate line and charge for sales tax (6%) on the invoice, but not always. I guess that the others are, like North316 said, just wrapping into the price.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Do any long term TO club members have thoughts on this year's TO futures offer?

To pre-order six packs of any of the following wines:
2010 Carignane - $129/six
2009 Ol' Chumbucket - $139/six
2009 Murgatroyd - $99/six
2009 "Zilch" Tempranillo - $99/six
(yes, that's a new one, and quite popular at the Looting!)
and
2009 The Spaniard! $199/six

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman

Heck, I'd go in for some Murgatroyd and I'm wondering where the Parcel 17 is...

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

klezman wrote:Heck, I'd go in for some Murgatroyd and I'm wondering where the Parcel 17 is...

Does he do multiple futures offers during the year? I thought River of Skulls was usually on futures as well.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
redwinefan wrote:Does he do multiple futures offers during the year? I thought River of Skulls was usually on futures as well.

Dunno...I can't afford the constant stream of wine that a club implies. I'm awaiting my 2009 Parcel still, but would happily sign up for futures of every year of that stuff. It's one of my favourites.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

Joseph Phelps Freestone Pinot 2007 splits for $16/each (or $11/each on 4 w coupon)

Site Vitis.com
Use coupon code 20artlog, free shipping on 4.

I've never ordered from these guys, but I do love Joseph Phelps, so I'm going to probably try this out and ship to my mom's place since they don't ship to TX.

bsevern

quality posts: 108 Private Messages bsevern
redwinefan wrote:Joseph Phelps Freestone Pinot 2007 splits for $16/each (or $11/each on 4 w coupon)

Site Vitis.com

I've never ordered from these guys, but I do love Joseph Phelps, so I'm going to probably try this out and ship to my mom's since they don't ship to TX.

Looks like a good deal, lots of good CT reviews and the perfect size for one.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:I somehow overlooked that email until I just saw this. Going to see what I can get some of that Riesling for, but I have a feeling the shipping will kill any deal.

Edit: We are truly spoiled here at woot. $46 savings almost completely wiped out by $28.95 shipping and $5.81 in sales tax, on only 6 bottles.

We are truly spoiled by wine.woot. More importantly, if it weren't for wine.woot, I'd probably never heard of Scott Harvey wines, since he doesn't currently have a distributor in the Buffalo area. I understand the point you make (and it has been made numerous times before on these pages), but I continue to maintain that it's worth it to get the wines I want, because if they were available at retail in my area, and not direct from the winery, or w.w, or some other internet site, I'd be paying retail prices at the local store, and happy to get the wine. In fact, given our history of supporting local businesses in general, we sometimes feel guilty about hardly ever visiting them any more. So far, we've managed to assuage the guilt by opening a bottle of wine.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
redwinefan wrote:Joseph Phelps Freestone Pinot 2007 splits for $16/each (or $11/each on 4 w coupon)

Site Vitis.com

I've never ordered from these guys, but I do love Joseph Phelps, so I'm going to probably try this out and ship to my mom's place since they don't ship to TX.

Is that code good for any other upcoming offerings? When does it expire?

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
bud8jr wrote:Is that code good for any other upcoming offerings? When does it expire?

The code has been available for a while, no expiration date given. It is a one time (per account) use code.

redwinefan

Ok, I didn't really need to start looking at this Vitis site.

Their new offer also looks intriguing (especially if you haven't used the above coupon yet):

Terlato Family Vineyards “Devil’s Peak” 2005 Bordeaux style blend, but predominately Cab Franc (66%)

19.99 a bottle, avg CT is closer to 40.00. I don't think I've tried any Terlato, but I really like Chimney Rock which is another winery they own.

rjquillin

Tallulah Wines Bald Mountain Ranch,
Napa Valley Syrah 2007 back on WTSO for $14. The 2006 was up not long ago.

CT

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:Tallulah Wines Bald Mountain Ranch,

They are rolling back prices. I got this at $15 from them earlier this year.

rjquillin

redwinefan wrote:They are rolling back prices. I got this at $15 from them earlier this year.

Yes this one in May, for $15

In February they had the Tallulah Wines Del Rio Vineyard, Oregon Syrah 2007 for $15, and again on the 10th for $14.

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:Tallulah Wines Bald Mountain Ranch,

The 2007 should be superior to the 2006, geesh for this price, this vintage, and Mt Veeder fruit, the only question left is how many!?!?!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
bsevern wrote:The 2007 should be superior to the 2006, geesh for this price, this vintage, and Mt Veeder fruit, the only question left is how many!?!?!

I've had the 2007 and it is a very tasty wine. Comparables: Donati Family Syrah, Wellington Syrah. This is a style that I very much like with a very deep concentration. You certainly wont go wrong with a half case of the stuff.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Living Social is running an invino deal here. Not sure if it's worth getting.

Invite this deal from invino to the table: a trio of assorted bottles of wine and a $10 invino.com gift card for a future purchase. For $45, drink up the Red, White, and WOW! package: a bottle of 2009 Burnside Road Sauvignon Blanc, Westwood Pinot Noir, and Max Wagner Riesling (a $100 value). Pay $50 to uncork Three Shades of Red: Sempre Vive 2003 Cabernet, the 90-point 2009 Stickybeak River Pinot Noir, and 2009 Georgetown Divide Grenache rosé -- Wine Spectator's number-two-rated rosé this summer (a $112 value). Or, indulge in the Que Syrah, Syrah, Syrah trio from Moon Mountain Estate Vineyard -- an '04, '05, and '06 Syrah -- for $50 (a $115 value).

Thoughts?

redwinefan

kittymac wrote:Living Social is running an invino deal here. Not sure if it's worth getting.

Invite this deal from invino to the table: a trio of assorted bottles of wine and a $10 invino.com gift card for a future purchase. For $45, drink up the Red, White, and WOW! package: a bottle of 2009 Burnside Road Sauvignon Blanc, Westwood Pinot Noir, and Max Wagner Riesling (a $100 value). Pay $50 to uncork Three Shades of Red: Sempre Vive 2003 Cabernet, the 90-point 2009 Stickybeak River Pinot Noir, and 2009 Georgetown Divide Grenache rosé -- Wine Spectator's number-two-rated rosé this summer (a $112 value). Or, indulge in the Que Syrah, Syrah, Syrah trio from Moon Mountain Estate Vineyard -- an '04, '05, and '06 Syrah -- for $50 (a $115 value).

Thoughts?

It doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. For instance, I think the MM Syrahs were $10 when featured on their pop-up shop, so this would make them more expensive.

North316

redwinefan wrote:It doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. For instance, I think the MM Syrahs were $10 when featured on their pop-up shop, so this would make them more expensive.

The syrahs were the best of the MM stuff I purchased though, with the exception of the Petite Verdot which was a big surprise. Though for the price, I would just pick up the Tallulah Syrah that is on WTSO right now.

My CT

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

2007 Star Angel Syrah Paso Robles is on wineshopper for $19.99. Empire wines was selling it for $13.99 w/ free shipping on a case. I had it in my cart there from a couple weeks ago but now the price has jumped to $19.99 at Empire. I was able to call them, explained the situation and they were nice enough to honor the $13.99 price.

bsevern

redwinefan wrote:Ok, I didn't really need to start looking at this Vitis site.

Their new offer also looks intriguing (especially if you haven't used the above coupon yet):

Terlato Family Vineyards “Devil’s Peak” 2005 Bordeaux style blend, but predominately Cab Franc (66%)

might be worth a flyer w/the coupon

Not sure I need four more bottles though?

19.99 a bottle, avg CT is closer to 40.00. I don't think I've tried any Terlato, but I really like Chimney Rock which is another winery they own.

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac
redwinefan wrote:It doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. For instance, I think the MM Syrahs were $10 when featured on their pop-up shop, so this would make them more expensive.

Thanks for the feedback.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg

A timely offer from Letspour on a Spanish Garnacha, timely because I´m still in Spain, where my friend and host for the past week, and also a bit of an expert, especially on wines of Spain, assures me that this is an excellent wine, and based on what it would sell for in Spain, an outstanding deal, notwithstanding the tendency of these sites to inflate the stated retail price. I've had the wine, although I can´t say if it was this vintage, and it was really wonderful.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

Not a huge Chard fan, and therefor 4 x $20 for FS is a bit rich for me, but...

WTSO Tallulah Chardonnay 2009 Farina Vineyard Sonoma Mountain
has a pretty interesting write-up and I could go for a SoCal split just to try this out.

CT

redwinefan

rjquillin wrote:Not a huge Chard fan, and therefor 4 x $20 for FS is a bit rich for me, but...

WTSO Tallulah Chardonnay 2009 Farina Vineyard Sonoma Mountain
has a pretty interesting write-up and I could go for a SoCal split just to try this out.

On the strength of Tallulah's other wines, I'd like to try one, but 4 is too many for me right now as well. Unfortunately, not in SoCal... yet.

Given the previous Tallulah Woot offers, I'm hoping we see a Tallulah Woot+ soon with a mixed pack offer so we can try some of their other wines.

redwinefan

Does anyone else think it's a little disingenuous for WTSO to be pushing Cellartracker ratings when there is only one rating for a particular wine?

On the Tallulah offer, they mention the fact it is has a 93 point cellartracker score a few times, and it turns out just one user has rated the wine on CT.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea

Has anyone tried the 2009 Uvaggio Moscato Secco that is currently on sale (lastbottlewines.com)? I'm extremely tempted to jump on 6 of them, but was hoping to get some feedback first. I can't find a bad review. Thanks.

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
sdwindansea wrote:Has anyone tried the 2009 Uvaggio Moscato Secco that is currently on sale (lastbottlewines.com)? I'm extremely tempted to jump on 6 of them, but was hoping to get some feedback first. I can't find a bad review. Thanks.

I did not need to see this.. !@!@#@!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

sdwindansea

tytiger58 wrote:I did not need to see this.. !@!@#@!

I take it that I should buy it?

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
sdwindansea wrote:I take it that I should buy it?

Never tried it but, nothing but good reviews/dry finish/9 bones delivered and the wife loves a good Moscato is enough for me to jump.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

sdwindansea

tytiger58 wrote:Never tried it but, nothing but good reviews/dry finish/9 bones delivered and the wife loves a good Moscato is enough for me to jump.

Thanks for responding. I just took the plunge for 6 bottles. The price, description and reviews were too good to pass up. I've actually never had a dry Moscato, but it sounds like something my wife and I would both enjoy. Especially with a spicy, asian style cuisine.

rjquillin

sdwindansea wrote:Thanks for responding. I just took the plunge for 6 bottles. The price, description and reviews were too good to pass up. I've actually never had a dry Moscato, but it sounds like something my wife and I would both enjoy. Especially with a spicy, asian style cuisine.

Looks like one of you may have gotten the LastBottle.

If there is an extra near San Diego to share...

CT

sdwindansea

rjquillin wrote:Looks like one of you may have gotten the LastBottle.

If there is an extra near San Diego to share...

I do not believe I was the last bottle, at least not according to the credits. I'm more than willing to part with one of them if you would like. Just let me know.

chukon99

redwinefan wrote:Does anyone else think it's a little disingenuous for WTSO to be pushing Cellartracker ratings when there is only one rating for a particular wine?

On the Tallulah offer, they mention the fact it is has a 93 point cellartracker score a few times, and it turns out just one user has rated the wine on CT.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. At least that person wrote a tasting note, so you have something to go on. I saw a CT score written on a shelf tag in one store (94 on cellartracker!). Pulled it up on my phone and, sure enough, one user gave it a 94 with no notes. Unfortunately, the other handful of users scored it between 82-89 with varying notes.