nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
cmaldoon wrote:I was actually not tempted last time. My bar is set extremely high for reds right now and most of the cheapskate stuff won't do it.

Didn't buy a thing for almost a month then caved for 3 bottles from Halcon and 8 bottles of the orange wine we had been waiting for for so long.

I like the signature at the end. I'm trying to catch up with drinking too.

Neal K Bharadwaj

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Gard Vintners has a pretty good sale on some of their whites. There are a few $60 - $75 case deals. There is also free shipping over $150 (I am not sure if the discounted cases are included in the free shipping promo).

http://www.gardvintners.com/

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
kittymac wrote:Gard Vintners has a pretty good sale on some of their whites. There are a few $60 - $75 case deals. There is also free shipping over $150 (I am not sure if the discounted cases are included in the free shipping promo).

I bought a mixed case on Woot last time around pretty much based on the comments. I was not diasppointed at all. I wonder if anyone else came to the same conclusion. Sounds like the window on most of these wines last April was in "the next 12 months or so" which is close to where we are now. Great deals, especially if the free shipping is included on 2 of these case specials.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kittymac wrote:Gard Vintners has a pretty good sale on some of their whites. There are a few $60 - $75 case deals. There is also free shipping over $150 (I am not sure if the discounted cases are included in the free shipping promo).

I'm still working through the couple of cases I bought from the tasting room in Woodinville - and I have you to thank for the heads up!

There's a pattern emerging here - kittymac points out a wine sale and I become a happy tippler.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Bevmo has the Jason Stephens 08' estate zin, 2 for $25.98. Its been on here before but didn't get a chance to try it, so maybe I'll pick some up. Its a better price too.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Bevmo has the Jason Stephens 08' estate zin, 2 for $25.98. Its been on here before but didn't get a chance to try it, so maybe I'll pick some up. Its a better price too.

Any idea how accurate the fruit bomb CT notes are?

CT

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
rjquillin wrote:Any idea how accurate the fruit bomb CT notes are?

Wondering if there are any additional notes on this one as well. Somebody gave me a gift card to BevMo that I need to spend...

cortot20

Probably pretty accurate. its 16%+ alcohol

Here's the in-house review
88 PTS WILFRED WONG. High-extracted and powerful, the bold, berried '08 Jason-Stephens Estate Zinfandel shows that Santa Clara has some pretty fine stuff; forceful and delicious in the finish.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Probably pretty accurate. its 16%+ alcohol

Here's the in-house review
88 PTS WILFRED WONG. High-extracted and powerful, the bold, berried '08 Jason-Stephens Estate Zinfandel shows that Santa Clara has some pretty fine stuff; forceful and delicious in the finish.

F everything Wildred Wong says.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

random122

Couple of reviews here from wooters.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:F everything Wildred Wong says.

Just the response I would of expected. He is pretty shilltastic.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
kylemittskus wrote:F everything Wildred Wong says.

+1. Completely useless. The wineries own rating/review would be less biased.

cortot20

Ended up picking up 2 bottles of the Jason Stephens zin and 2 bottles of the 09' schug carneros Pinot noir at the bevmo five cent sale.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

Any Halcon Vineyards wine club members out there? I recently bought some of their 09, 10 and 11 Alturas that was sold on WB Day. Now they are offering their 2011 Prado and Esquisto. So just wondered if anyone can comment on their wines.

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:Any Halcon Vineyards wine club members out there? I recently bought some of their 09, 10 and 11 Alturas that was sold on WB Day. Now they are offering their 2011 Prado and Esquisto. So just wondered if anyone can comment on their wines.

Tyger and I have bought every single wine of theirs. I haven't tried any yet, but tyger has and keeps on buying.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:Any Halcon Vineyards wine club members out there? I recently bought some of their 09, 10 and 11 Alturas that was sold on WB Day. Now they are offering their 2011 Prado and Esquisto. So just wondered if anyone can comment on their wines.

I do have all three vintages..well I will have my 11's as soon as Kyle delivers

I have tried the 09 Alturas 3 times over the past year and IMO it is fantastic, high altitude cool climate Syrah think Cote Rotie with California flare (just my opinion). Give the 09 a good long decant and try one, don't be like someone I know (Kyle)who buys 3 vintages and has yet to drink a glass

Great fruit, great fruit source and great people. In fact Copain makes a highly acclaimed Syrah from the same fruit that will cost you a lot more.

That's it no more comments on this wine from me until someone here actually drinks one. Well after all that hype I hope you like them? I'm going back to the East Coast wine boards where people actually drink the wine Kyle

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:That's it no more comments on this wine from me until someone here actually drinks one. Well after all that hype I hope you like them? I'm going back to the East Coast wine boards where people actually drink the wine Kyle

Wine.woot needs a office chair icon.

rjquillin

Not a bad price ($19) on
Truchard Carneros Pinot Noir 2009

from wine.com; CT $29. We've seen Truchard on WW before. It'd be nice to see them again.

CT

jdhart306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdhart306

2004 Bodegas Ondarre on wtso for $11.49 per bottle. The 2004 was pretty darn good (I've almost run through a case of it), and this one has decent reviews for what it's worth.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

2009 Maclaren Drouthy Neebors Syrah
on invino for $15. $35 winery price. Lot 18 and last bottle both sold it previously with last bottle priced at $19.

random122

cortot20 wrote:Ended up picking up 2 bottles of the Jason Stephens zin and 2 bottles of the 09' schug carneros Pinot noir at the bevmo five cent sale.

I grabbed the Jason Stephens too and had a bottle this weekend. It had a heavy sweetness to it for me, so not really my cup of tea, but I forgot it was 16.5% until later on in the night...

cortot20

random122 wrote:I grabbed the Jason Stephens too and had a bottle this weekend. It had a heavy sweetness to it for me, so not really my cup of tea, but I forgot it was 16.5% until later on in the night...

I noticed it, but it didn't come across as RS, it came across as over-extracted almost prune-y.

CT

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
jdhart306 wrote:2004 Bodegas Ondarre on wtso for $11.49 per bottle. The 2004 was pretty darn good (I've almost run through a case of it), and this one has decent reviews for what it's worth.

i agree the 04 was good for $11.50,so why not try the 06 !

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

anyone ever tried the "special" deals from restaurant.com / idealmeal.com?

Currently $25 for $100 on Iron Horse sparklers at orderwinedirect (plus a $50 restaurant.com cert). Prices on the wine aren't bad generally, and adding the the deal makes it pretty good.

Shipping seems like $13 on a single bottle and $24 on 6 to Colorado.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:anyone ever tried the "special" deals from restaurant.com / idealmeal.com?

Currently $25 for $100 on Iron Horse sparklers at orderwinedirect (plus a $50 restaurant.com cert). Prices on the wine aren't bad generally, and adding the the deal makes it pretty good.

Tempted, although there's the $200 minimum for the wine. That amounts to 6 bottles or more, which I can't stomach currently, so I'll share with somebody if they want.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
joelsisk wrote:anyone ever tried the "special" deals from restaurant.com / idealmeal.com?

One thing to note is that for the wine order, the order has to be a minimum of $200 for the $100 coupon discount to apply. So (not including the $50 Restaurant.com gift card) you have spend $125 to get $200 worth of wine.
If they didn't have that $200 minimum requirement, I'd probably go in for it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Tempted, although there's the $200 minimum for the wine. That amounts to 6 bottles or more, which I can't stomach currently, so I'll share with somebody if they want.

I grabbed two of these some time back. Went to use them and found the unpleasant "fine print". Got the entire transaction reversed. Never again tempted...

CT

joelsisk

HitAnyKey42 wrote:One thing to note is that for the wine order, the order has to be a minimum of $200 for the $100 coupon discount to apply. So (not including the $50 Restaurant.com gift card) you have spend $125 to get $200 worth of wine.
If they didn't have that $200 minimum requirement, I'd probably go in for it.

Well, right.

The list prices appear to be equivalent to winery direct.

As a for instance, 4 bottles of the 2007 brut rose @ $50 each (same price as winery) + $17.95 shipping (to Denver) = 217.95 -(100-25) = 142.95, or 35.74/bottle. That's over 30% off SHIPPED.

Of course, YMMV depending on which offer you get and how close you can get to exactly 200. I think the deal is pretty good for the six pack as well. Oh, and you get a 5% discount on half cases, 10% discount on cases.

And I look at the $50 restaurant.com cert as worth $10-15, which mostly covers the shipping and puts the actual wine at roughly 40% discount SHIPPED.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:I grabbed two of these some time back. Went to use them and found the unpleasant "fine print". Got the entire transaction reversed. Never again tempted...

Restaurant.com certs are worth about -$12.

joelsisk

rjquillin wrote:I grabbed two of these some time back. Went to use them and found the unpleasant "fine print". Got the entire transaction reversed. Never again tempted...

was there some other fine print I missed? I know the $200, not combinable, and only to ship-to states. what else?

rjquillin

joelsisk wrote:was there some other fine print I missed? I know the $200, not combinable, and only to ship-to states. what else?

Don't recall exact details, just for the price I purchased the deal, after minimum purchase and pricing, plus shipping, I couldn't make it work out. I think there may have been an additional discount deal and it wouldn't stack. YMMV.

CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Just wanted to add that I opened a bottle of 2010 Halcon Alturas last night and it was incredible. Beautiful fruit on the nose, but not the jammy, over-extracted fruit-forwardness on the palate. Very well structured tannins and velvety smooth, with a good fruit after-taste.

I had opened a bottle in haste after getting it from LB about 3 months ago and got nothing but oak, and thought it was awful. This was an incredibly different experience and is one of my favorite Syrahs.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

There is free shipping today at lot18.com. I thought I was done with them but when I went to look, I had a $10.00 credit sitting there. With that and the free shipping, I decided to pick up a bottle.

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

Cinderella Wine has a 1997 Gould Campbell Vintage Port for $30 with free shipping on 3. I bought three of the 1980 vintage last year and was not at all disappointed. Good port at a good price (CT average is $43).

Always nice to have something on hand from the previous century...

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I've found that The Ultimate Wine Shop has good prices, and free shipping on your first case. I and 'and my good friends' have all benefitted.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

On WTSO..Ty Caton Cabernet 2010
Caton Vineyard. $19.99, free ship on 4.

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

How am I supposed to get anything done today with this month's Woot Off and today's WTSO Cheapskate Wednesday happening simutaneously???

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

It's a good day to buy wine - Woot off and WTSO Cheapskate Wednesday simultaneously! Looking at my CT stats, I see that over the last year 30% of all my purchases were from Woot, 20% from WTSO, 10% from last bottle, 5% from Wine Library/Cinderella Wine. So I buy often from WTSO.

I generally think of Woot as my source for West Coast deals, and WTSO as my source for French wine deals. I have a lot of Southern Rhone stuff priced around $17, mostly imported by Serge Dore Selections, and all averaging around 90 points in my personal score.

WTSO's ground shipping is usually free on 4, and in NYC I usually get the wine two or three days after I order it.

I place high value on Woot's community and discussions to help with purchasing decisions. There's nothing comparable for WTSO, so it's just a matter of checking CellarTracker, or often just acting on a hunch. Here are some of my favorite purchases over the last year from WTSO which could well come up again today:

2010 Domaine du Grand Montmirail Vacqueyras $17
2010 La Grand Comtadine Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Spéciale $11
2005 Bodegas y Viñedos de la Marquesa Rioja Finca Monteviejo Valserrano $20
2010 Domaine Thunevin-Calvet Côtes du Roussillon Villages Cuvée Constance $15
2011 Domaine du Garde Temps Côtes de Provence Tourbillon $11
2010 Château Bizard Coteaux du Tricastin Serre de Courrent $17

2003 Quixote Petite Sirah Panza $25
2001 Quixote Petite Sirah Panza $25

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
randysanders wrote:I've found that The Ultimate Wine Shop has good prices, and free shipping on your first case. I and 'and my good friends' have all benefitted.

I use them as well, I have gotten a lot of great deals and they are based out of NJ, so when I order, ground shipping makes it to me next day!

Here is a great deal they have up now if you go in on the free shipping. These retail for $29.99 almost everywhere else in my area, where you can find them, and are worth every penny of the retail price, IMHO. You can enjoy now or lay them down for awhile. I have done both.

2009 PB Wines Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah - 23.99

CellarTracker

This is Rasa Vineyard's 2nd label, based out of Walla Walla. They are relatively new to the scene and I have been impressed by the 2009 Rasa offerings I have tasted (only experience with this producer), though the price tag is higher than their PB Wines label - 2009 In Order To Form a More Perfect Union, 2009 Creative Impulse, 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon Plus One Kiona Vineyard

Maybe they can find a spot on wine.woot one of these days...black tie buy?

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I'm not liking this 4 bottle minimum on wtso.

Neal K Bharadwaj