rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Another LB that could be of interest.
Sawyer Cellars Bradford Meritage Rutherford 2007 $24 FS on 6.

Looks like it could be tasty, notes anybody?
Splits?

Aging: 24 months
58% Cabernet Sauvignon
35% Merlot
5% Petit Verdot
2% Cabernet Franc
ABV 14.1%

CT value $34

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
rjquillin wrote:Another LB that could be of interest.

Looks like it could be tasty, notes anybody?
Splits?

Aging: 24 months
58% Cabernet Sauvignon
35% Merlot
5% Petit Verdot
2% Cabernet Franc
ABV 14.1%

CT value $34

Looks like a good one, I'm going in for a few.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
rjquillin wrote:Another LB that could be of interest.

If you live in or around the Bay Area or Socal, K&L has both the 2001 Meritage and the 2001 Cab available for $24.99 excluding tax.

rjquillin

redwinefan wrote:Looks like a good one, I'm going in for a few.

Yeah, just don't know if I really need six, hence looking for a SoCal split.

random122 wrote:If you live in or around the Bay Area or Socal, K&L has both the 2001 Meritage and the 2001 Cab available for $24.99 excluding tax.

But has anyone drank any, how does it taste, the juice, not the label that is.
CC still screaming.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

WTSO has 2006 Burgess Napa Valley Cab for $21.99. I haven't had that vintage, but based on my previous experience with their wine, I had no qualms about grabbing 3. A bit unusual to get free shipping on only 3 at that price point.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

redwinefan

ddeuddeg wrote:WTSO has 2006 Burgess Napa Valley Cab for $21.99. I haven't had that vintage, but based on my previous experience with their wine, I had no qualms about grabbing 3. A bit unusual to get free shipping on only 3 at that price point.

Seems like an easy deal to say yes to. I'm overflowing with 2006 Napa Cabs, otherwise I'd be tempted.

rjquillin

Doc, your 2004 Ampeleia Maremma Toscana up on Cindy for $20.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:WTSO has 2006 Burgess Napa Valley Cab for $21.99. I haven't had that vintage, but based on my previous experience with their wine, I had no qualms about grabbing 3. A bit unusual to get free shipping on only 3 at that price point.

I've had the older vintages, but I'm really trying to be good! It's only Garagiste that's currently seriously tempting me these days (aside from the occasional woot).

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

amaizing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amaizing

Has anyone tried the Super Sonoman Meritage 2007 ($99 for two on Woot)?

WTSO has it for 34.99
FS on 2

hesnctrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hesnctrl

Darn Cinderella Wine! Free ship on 2(!!!) continues even for bargain wines. Monastrell anyone?

redwinefan

amaizing wrote:Has anyone tried the Super Sonoman Meritage 2007 ($99 for two on Woot)?

WTSO has it for 34.99
FS on 2

I'm tempted based on tasting some of his other wines.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
amaizing wrote:Has anyone tried the Super Sonoman Meritage 2007 ($99 for two on Woot)?

WTSO has it for 34.99
FS on 2

cmaldoon has some good notes here:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5061441&pageindex=1&replycount=28#post5063695

Here's a cut and paste:

cmaldoon wrote:I recently got to meet the winemaker (Chris) and Taste across a significant portion of his available wines including all of those that are offered here on Woot.

Let me start off by saying that Chris is very passionate about what he does (as any winemaker should be) and goes to great lengths to ensure quality in all of his wines. He focuses on low vineyard yields, careful management during crush and fermentation, and high quality oak barrels.

The 4 wines up on woot are significantly different stylistically and there is bound to be one that is good for anyone's tastes.

2008 Syrah - This is a ripe, hedonistic syrah. It has a nose of black fruits and toasty oak which translates directly to the palate. The finish is reasonably long and belies the 100% french oak. The wine is undeniably a new world style. I enjoyed this one and would consider it more suited to sitting and talking than necessarily with a dinner.

2006 Cabernet - This wine begs for a juicy steak. I feel that the profile was significantly brighter and more acidic than the tasting notes on the product page seem to indicate: "The flavors of stone fruit, roasted Blackberry and coffee and chocolate are wrapped around a core of red fruit flavors." The acidity though makes this one a food wine. There is significant complexity here and the balance on the oak is grand.(still 100% but I would not have guessed that, it comes across more like 50%, a plus in my mind)This wine was probably my favorite of the bunch.

2007 Meritage - This wine plays the finesse card. It is very balanced and was the most complex wine of the lineup. Everything is integrated. That said, I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps it needed more time to open up, but I found myself wishing for a touch more concentration (not ripeness, just extraction) for my personal palate. On the other hand, I would compare this most closely with Kent Rasmussen's Cab Franc or Flora Spring's Trilogy in terms of style and I know that both of those are highly regarded but also do not fit my palate. I will re-iterate, this was damn good quality wine, it just didn't do it for my palate.

2008 Cabernet - This wine is the antithesis of the meritage. This wine is BIG and BOLD and DARK. There are piles of berries wrapped in oak that pour from the glass. This wine is smooth, sexy, and very much drink now. There is a wow factor in the concentration. Unfortunately, I feel that this wine is overblown and is all power and no complexity. I find it most comparable to a young Silver Oak in style.

All in all, SuperSonoman is doing some exciting things and I wish for Chris (and all of Napa/Sonoma) that 2012 is a year in the mold of '05 and '07 so he can work his magic on the best possible grapes.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rjquillin

WTSO Quixote Panza Petite Syrah
Stags' Leap Ranch Napa Valley 2002
$25 FS on 4.

Sparky, or some other SoCal'er, want to split an order?

CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rjquillin wrote:WTSO Quixote Panza Petite Syrah
Stags' Leap Ranch Napa Valley 2002
$25 FS on 4.

Sparky, or some other SoCal'er, want to split an order?

Heh heh, I stocked up at TJ's with the 06 and 07 "Lance and Windmill"!

redwinefan

I couldn't resist the Gary Farrell 2009 Pinot Noir Ramal Vineyard on Last Bottle for $26.

Although it is hard to pay $26 for Ramal Vineyard Pinot after paying $15 for the Buena Vista version.

rjquillin

richardhod wrote:Heh heh, I stocked up at TJ's with the 06 and 07 "Lance and Windmill"!

You and I both!
Thanks for that tip.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:You and I both!
Thanks for that tip.

I never saw the 07's and already drank through the 06's. I really enjoyed that wine for the price.

CT

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

Any Bay Area people interested in this?
http://www.giltcity.com/san-francisco/aroundtheworldsfjan

$37 for general admission
$62 for VIP

Neal K Bharadwaj

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I never saw the 07's and already drank through the 06's. I really enjoyed that wine for the price.

I think the '07 was the Buena Vista Pinot Noir Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard.

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:I think the '07 was the Buena Vista Pinot Noir Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard.

So confused.

CT

klezman

richardhod wrote:Heh heh, I stocked up at TJ's with the 06 and 07 "Lance and Windmill"!

When were there 2007's?
Are you back on this side of the pond?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
klezman wrote:When were there 2007's?
Are you back on this side of the pond?

Some parts of the US had the 06, while other areas had the 07. I was not aware of any TJ's in Chicago that had both vintages.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
jmdavidson wrote:Some parts of the US had the 06, while other areas had the 07. I was not aware of any TJ's in Chicago that had both vintages.

Yep. I have an inkling that the 06 > 07.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I never saw the 07's and already drank through the 06's. I really enjoyed that wine for the price.

I think these are what Richard was talking about.
Both from TJ's. Both $15.

2007 Buena Vista Pinot Noir Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard

2006 Quixote Petite Sirah Quixote
aka Lance & Windmill

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:I think these are what Richard was talking about.
Both from TJ's. Both $15.

2007 Buena Vista Pinot Noir Estate Vineyard Series Ramal Vineyard

2006 Quixote Petite Sirah Quixote
aka Lance & Windmill

I got ya, I never saw the ramal pinot there, I only saw the carneros pinot.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Virage is on Invino, the 07 was one of my favorite wines last year YMMV.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

redwinefan

tytiger58 wrote:Virage is on Invino, the 07 was one of my favorite wines last year YMMV.

Have you tried the 08 as well?

tytiger58

redwinefan wrote:Have you tried the 08 as well?

Have not tried it yet, but I do have an order in for March.

redwinefan

tytiger58 wrote:Have not tried it yet, but I do have an order in for March.

I've got lots of Invino credit due to an order screwup, so I went in for one of each. Thanks for the recommendation.

tytiger58

redwinefan wrote:I've got lots of Invino credit due to an order screwup, so I went in for one of each. Thanks for the recommendation.

Make sure you decant! or give it a few years...

rjquillin

Can't speak to the 2009 on WTSO for $20, but I'm hording my 2007 and I'm in on this.

Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Mario Perelli-Minetti 2009

CT

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
tytiger58 wrote:Virage is on Invino, the 07 was one of my favorite wines last year YMMV.

Good stuff. My first bottle of the 2007 was outstanding, though the bottle I had about a year ago was much tighter. Probably one to lay down a few years at this point.

Anyway, it's mostly Cab Franc and it's from Carneros. Good combo, awesome proprietor.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

tytiger58

gcdyersb wrote:Good stuff. My first bottle of the 2007 was outstanding, though the bottle I had about a year ago was much tighter. Probably one to lay down a few years at this point.

Anyway, it's mostly Cab Franc and it's from Carneros. Good combo, awesome proprietor.

Agree and Agree Emily is good people!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:Can't speak to the 2009 on WTSO for $20, but I'm hording my 2007 and I'm in on this.

Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Mario Perelli-Minetti 2009

Was the 2007 any good?

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:Was the 2007 any good?

Excellent! IMO.

All but one bottle safely tucked away off-site so I'm not tempted to pull any more corks.

Restrained, earthy and with good complexity. Others also have this and may do better with comments.

CT

redwinefan

2007 Burgess Estate Syrah Napa Valley for $12.99 on WTSO. Free shipping on 4

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1
redwinefan wrote:2007 Burgess Estate Syrah Napa Valley for $12.99 on WTSO. Free shipping on 4

Thanks for the tip....but it looks like that one got away!
I would have been all over that one.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Anyone jumping on the 1988 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour @ invino?

klezman

bsevern wrote:Anyone jumping on the 1988 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour @ invino?

I don't see that. I've wanted to get some of that for ages. How much?

rjquillin

klezman wrote:I don't see that. I've wanted to get some of that for ages. How much?

'88 BV $65. Been pondering for days not, just can't quite do it.

CT