bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

go away German Riesling (on lastbottle)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
bkarlan wrote:go away German Riesling (on lastbottle)

I swear its been there a few times

Neal K Bharadwaj

bkarlan

Just bought this one.
Angelo Germano Nebbiolo 2007
Read the last review on CT and it said "dried currant nose with a sense of cat pee"

Teehehehehe

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:Just bought this one.
Angelo Germano Nebbiolo 2007
Read the last review on CT and it said "dried currant nose with a sense of cat pee"

Teehehehehe

Saw this up earlier, yesterday?, and the CT comment by Jennings. CT value = LB value, so, IMO, not a screaming deal, especially when I still have vivid memories of cleaning out a rental years ago after the tenant and her cats left!

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:'92 Raymond Cab back up on Invino for $30. Cmaldoon, how much longer you think these have? Didn't see a comment in your CT notes, while others thought past prime...

Oh I certainly wouldn't buy to hold and it is likely past prime for most people's definitions of prime but it is still a very enjoyable old wine at a reasonable price for its age and quality. Had a 1984 Raymond tonight. Likewise past prime but still tasty

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Saw this up earlier, yesterday?, and the CT comment by Jennings. CT value = LB value, so, IMO, not a screaming deal, especially when I still have vivid memories of cleaning out a rental years ago after the tenant and her cats left!

Except the CT value is largely based on lastbottle. Just like when people quote the woot price as equivalent to CT value on, say, Scott Harvey.

I considered this one too, but decided against it. I'm waiting for something perfect to use up my $40 credit and I've missed all the best ones so far.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bkarlan

klezman wrote:Except the CT value is largely based on lastbottle. Just like when people quote the woot price as equivalent to CT value on, say, Scott Harvey.

I considered this one too, but decided against it. I'm waiting for something perfect to use up my $40 credit and I've missed all the best ones so far.

I am a sucker for anything Italian. If it isn't good, well no big loss.

Hopefully they can move on with the deal before I hit the sack (which will be VERY soon)

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Oh I certainly wouldn't buy to hold and it is likely past prime for most people's definitions of prime but it is still a very enjoyable old wine at a reasonable price for its age and quality. Had a 1984 Raymond tonight. Likewise past prime but still tasty

Thanks, and check your yahoo email. I'm embarrassed.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Thanks, and check your yahoo email. I'm embarrassed.

No need to be embarrassed, I didn't get the stuff down to my brother either. Ill reply to the email when I have formulated a new plan

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

bkarlan

North, your wine is on LB
Chateau Tirecul La Graviere 2003 Monbazillac 500ML

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bkarlan wrote:North, your wine is on LB
Chateau Tirecul La Graviere 2003 Monbazillac 500ML

Wow, with a steep price increase too. It was $14 last time!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Damn, and it sold out as I went to buy it. Oh well, saved $60 I guess.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman

Anybody know anything about the Catalunya up now? CT notes are not terribly helpful. Some make it sound right up my alley and some make it sound like the house style is over-oaked madness. I've got $40 of credit burning a hole in my pocket.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Looks like the Last Bottle Mayan sale may finally be over. Surviving this sale was more difficult than surviving the end of the world.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
redwinefan wrote:Looks like the Last Bottle Mayan sale may finally be over. Surviving this sale was more difficult than surviving the end of the world.

aww mann!! I got busy doing stuff and forgot to check during the day!! and who knows what I missed!!! oh well...at least I got some stuff!

redwinefan

Possibly good deal for anyone who lives close to Clos LaChance:

Looks like there are a number of wines for sale. Their 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon is $10. I was genuinely surprised by their 2007 Cab I purchased off WTSO for $12.99

nealkb

mommadeb1 wrote:aww mann!! I got busy doing stuff and forgot to check during the day!! and who knows what I missed!!! oh well...at least I got some stuff!

Surviving my credit card payment will be the hard part.

Neal K Bharadwaj

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
nealkb wrote:Surviving my credit card payment will be the hard part.

can't wait for the cc statement....and me trying to explain to hubby that this was such a good "sale" I "had" to buy stuff!!

nealkb

Ikea has the Omar wine shelf for 39$. I fit about 50 bottles on there.

Neal K Bharadwaj

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson

Year end sale on at invino.com.

bkarlan

jmdavidson wrote:Year end sale on at invino.com.

I was just about to ask about the aged Bordeauxs they have acquired. Invino occasionally has some really rare stuff, but does anyone know about these. Kinda hesitate about fakes and knock-offs, however I am a bit intrigued and would like to try a bottle or two.

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey

I also am curious as to what would be a good buy on invino.

I saw they had 2008 1869 by Scott Harvey for $28.99. Will probably pick up a few of those.

Any other recommendations/suggestions? (wine newb)

jmdavidson

lurkey wrote:I also am curious as to what would be a good buy on invino.

I saw they had 2008 1869 by Scott Harvey for $28.99. Will probably pick up a few of those.

It depends on what your target is, such as Pinots, French, Italian, whites, price, etc. I usually look through for my tastes, interests and price bracket. From that, I make a list and usually look at CT, wine-searcher and random checks on google search. What is for sale may not be as well rated as they claim and it may not be that great of a price. Good luck and happy hunting.

EDIT (post purchase): One of my preferences is for Italian wines and I look for those from Piedmont and Tuscany, as well as for something I have not tried. So far, I have bought: 2006 Feudi della Medusa Arrubias Carignano Sardinia, Italy. CT was interesting, it's already 6 years old and the price was within my budget. FWIW.

rjquillin

lurkey wrote:I also am curious as to what would be a good buy on invino.

I see the Martian is up there, for a couple bucks/btl more than WD got it for us...

Not a bad price for the 1869, but again more than on woot!

Yeah, agree with jmd, these are a task to delve through and find potential gems.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:I see the Martian is up there, for a couple bucks/btl more than WD got it for us...

Not a bad price for the 1869, but again more than on woot!

Yeah, agree with jmd, these are a task to delve through and find potential gems.

I bought a 6 pack of 05 Sempre Vive' and 2010 Thierry-Germain Domaine des Roches. I hear the Sempre Vive is good and the Thierry I had was delicious.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
jmdavidson wrote:It depends on what your target is, such as Pinots, French, Italian, whites, price, etc. I usually look through for my tastes, interests and price bracket. From that, I make a list and usually look at CT, wine-searcher and random checks on google search. What is for sale may not be as well rated as they claim and it may not be that great of a price. Good luck and happy hunting.

Fully agree here. Pick and choose. I haven't done that well in the sub-$15 range, but $15-$25 usually is pretty safe. Provided you know what you are looking for. Usually their tasting notes are fairly accurate--just ignore the points.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
tytiger58 wrote:I bought a 6 pack of 05 Sempre Vive' and 2010 Thierry-Germain Domaine des Roches. I hear the Sempre Vive is good and the Thierry I had was delicious.

I fully agree on the Thierry-Germain Saumur. Classic Cab Franc nose (herbal, olive, currant), but with a really lovely, complete palate. At $15 sometimes Loire Franc can be acidic and/or astringent. This is balanced and supple.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:I bought a 6 pack of 05 Sempre Vive' and 2010 Thierry-Germain Domaine des Roches. I hear the Sempre Vive is good and the Thierry I had was delicious.

Humm, bio-farmed you say;
producers such as (biodynamically farmed) Thierry-Germain

I've read threads on this.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Humm, bio-farmed you say;
producers such as (biodynamically farmed) Thierry-Germain

I've read threads on this.

Ha, if its good its good, and at 15 a bottle they are not doing it to add profits. IMHO

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Ha, if its good its good, and at 15 a bottle they are not doing it to add profits. IMHO

jaja, yeah.
Hey, either you Klez or Sparky wanna do a split of the Chard up on the main site?

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1469 Private Messages Cesare

Interesting. Saw a whole display of this 90+ Cellars wine in a local store. A lot of them are in CT.
Seems kind of like a Cameron Hughes type thing...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Price Total
(4) 2006 Phoenix Ranch Napa Valley Syrah Napa Valley $16.99 each $67.96
(2) 2008 Jean-Luc Baldès Clos Triguedina Malbec 'La Chapelle du Clos,' Cahors, France $12.99 each $25.98
(2) 2009 Martian Ranch & Vineyard Syrah Santa Ynez Valley $12.99 each $25.98
(4) 2010 JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery Syrah Paso Robles $16.99 each $67.96

$180 shipped on invino. $10 shipping and 10% off a case now.

nealkb

$10 for a 2008 Messenger Merlot on Last Bottle. FS on 6.

Neal K Bharadwaj

jmdavidson

nealkb wrote:$10 for a 2008 Messenger Merlot on Last Bottle. FS on 6.

And you are recommending this because...

rjquillin

04 Ardente CS for 19 on Cindy

CT

nealkb

jmdavidson wrote:And you are recommending this because...

It's cheap and looks good. They claim it was meant for $40/$50 market.

Neal K Bharadwaj

redwinefan

nealkb wrote:It's cheap and looks good. They claim it was meant for $40/$50 market.

When this came up previously, I'm pretty sure they said it was old Haven's juice on their Facebook page.

rjquillin

Anyone got a referral code for Vitis?

CT

hesnctrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hesnctrl
rjquillin wrote:Anyone got a referral code for Vitis?

Check your PM.

rjquillin

Cindy seems to be continuing their "FS on two" deals with offerings generally at a price well below average CT listings. Some have been tempting at ~$15/btl delivered and have done minor damage in the new year already.

CT