dudemanchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudemanchu
karenhynes wrote:I may just call Phoenix Ranch if I get a chance this afternoon. They should certainly know who the winemaker was.

I am going to guess that Cathy did not make this wine. If she did, I think Invino would have stated that directly.

Cesare

quality posts: 1548 Private Messages Cesare

Scott Harvey Trio and Vertical special. $7 shipping.
Link

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
Cesare wrote:Scott Harvey Trio and Vertical special. $7 shipping.
Link

I got that email, too. I love the personal touch:

Dear (Contact First Name),

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
InFrom wrote:

I'm just hanging out, really.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
karenhynes wrote:I'm not sure what just happend, but I might have gotten excited and ordered 6 bottles.

I could certainly spare a few if you want some.

Try contacting Invino and see if they can cancel the order (if that is what you want to do).

jmdavidson

Cesare wrote:Scott Harvey Trio and Vertical special. $7 shipping.
Link

I like the $7 shipping. But do you think those are good prices?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jmdavidson wrote:I like the $7 shipping. But do you think those are good prices?

They are barely anything off his normal prices. However, I typically find with his sales, I either get a good price, and expensive shipping and tax, or higher prices and free or low cost shipping. That's the pain of living in Ohio. Thankfully Scott offers almost all of his wines on woot throughout the year so I get price AND low shipping, though I have bought directly from him on a few occasions.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Lot18 is featured on Ruelala today. 6 wines that Lot18 picked for you (I copied and pasted it below) for $59.00 I believe Lot18 will charge you $10 for shipping, not sure since all you are buying from Ruelala is a voucher.

SIP SIX FLAVORFUL WINES FROM DISTINCT REGIONS.

For a sampling of the world’s finest wines, look no further than this half case of expertly curated bottles. From rich to vibrant flavors, you’ll be sure to find one (or six) you love.

This half case includes:

2010 Il Gheppio Umbria Pinot Grigio. Deep in flavor, rich in texture, and accessible in price.

2010 Chateau Tour Chapoux Bordeaux. Black cherry and blackberry aromas dominate, with undercurrents of vanilla and sandalwood.

2009 Stickybeak Russian River Chardonnay. Fresh and sweet orchard-apple taste.

2010 Fortuna Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. Features an intriguing, earthy, spicy, tobacco thread running through it.

2009 Vinum Cellars California Petite Sirah. Offers mixed berry pie-filling flavors.

2010 Jacques Delatour Cotes du Rhone. Juicy and vibrant bouquet of cherry and plum with crushed flowers, dried herbs, and worn leather.

Validity: October 29, 2012 – January 25, 2013, unless prohibited by law. Must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or redeem this voucher. Applicable shipping ($9.99) and taxes will be collected upon voucher redemption. Offer only valid for shipment to following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming. Valid for first time Lot18 members only and not redeemable by existing Lot18 members. Limited to one offer per person. Offers are not transferable.

I am not going in on this, but maybe one of you guys would like it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

jdhart306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdhart306

Just looking around at Lot18 and I noticed for the NV Ray Maurin Cuvée Réserve Brut Champagne Duo they are charging $60, but for the trio it costs $100. Instead of getting a discount for an extra bottle, Lot18 wants to upcharge you $10 for the third bottle... doesn't seem to make much business sense.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
jdhart306 wrote:Just looking around at Lot18 and I noticed for the NV Ray Maurin Cuvée Réserve Brut Champagne Duo they are charging $60, but for the trio it costs $100. Instead of getting a discount for an extra bottle, Lot18 wants to upcharge you $10 for the third bottle... doesn't seem to make much business sense.

Awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bkarlan wrote:Lot18 is featured on Ruelala today.

I wonder if this means that WCC no longer does anything for RLL?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin

Thoughts on the CH Lot 360 2010 Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon for $26 they claim are from a $125/bottle producer?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Thoughts on the CH Lot 360 2010 Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon for $26 they claim are from a $125/bottle producer?

Ummm... I want one bottle to try ASAP... White cottage does a Howell mountain at $125 that is really tasty.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:Ummm... I want one bottle to try ASAP... White cottage does a Howell mountain at $125 that is really tasty.

I love Howell Mountain CS. There's no way it is really $125 wine because if it were, it would be selling for such. However, I think @ $26, it's worth a try. The only problem is there's FS on a case only. Tyger/Klez/RJQ? I'd be interested in 3.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I love Howell Mountain CS. There's no way it is really $125 wine because if it were, it would be selling for such. However, I think @ $26, it's worth a try. The only problem is there's FS on a case only. Tyger/Klez/RJQ? I'd be interested in 3.

Shipping to SoCal varies from $12.15 for a single, $15.12 for six to $18.50 for nine.
$2.50/btl isn't horrible, where is WD when you need him, but FS is better. If, this is decent, six isn't out of the question...

CT

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:I love Howell Mountain CS. There's no way it is really $125 wine because if it were, it would be selling for such. However, I think @ $26, it's worth a try. The only problem is there's FS on a case only. Tyger/Klez/RJQ? I'd be interested in 3.

I dunno, should I enable Kyle? I could be cajoled into a set of 3....

My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58

Ugghh I would try 3 who do I send my money too?? Sure hope this is good, I already have enough wine to make spaghetti sauce

Sorry I have had a few bad bottles of CH and don't trust them so much.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman

Napa Cab, from anywhere, is such a shot in the dark I'm hesitant to go in blind. Many of the $125 wines I don't particularly like, but this does sound like something worth trying. If it's great then I'd go in for 3 but otherwise I'd just want to try the one. That amounts to a whole lot of fence-sitting

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

tytiger58 wrote:Ugghh I would try 3 who do I send my money too?? Sure hope this is good, I already have enough wine to make spaghetti sauce

Sorry I have had a few bad bottles of CH and don't trust them so much.

Hmm... That looks like 3 each:
Cmaldoon
Kyle
rjQ
Tytyger

I vote Rjquillin as buyer because I already have to meet up with him at some point to trade 3 bottles of sherry.

Edit Klez too.. I'll give up one of mine, maybe someone can give up one as well and then he'll split his fence sitting difference with two!

My Cellar

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:Hmm... That looks like 3 each:
Cmaldoon
Kyle
rjQ
Tytyger

I vote Rjquillin as buyer because I already have to meet up with him at some point to trade 3 bottles of sherry.

Edit Klez too.. I'll give up one of mine, maybe someone can give up one as well and then he'll split his fence sitting difference with two!

+1 on RJQ buying I have to give him a couple of bottles in a few weeks also.

bkarlan

tytiger58 wrote:+1 on RJQ buying I have to give him a couple of bottles in a few weeks also.

I am not involved in this deal, but I vote RJQ too.

I will see him around Turkey Day.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Hmm... That looks like 3 each:
Cmaldoon
Kyle
rjQ
Tytyger

OK, will do, one case...

Going, once...
twice...

last chance!

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:OK, will do, one case...

Going, once...
twice...

last chance!

Works for me. Tyger can pick up my bottles and pay my share (tyger, you owe me from the Kronos. This makes us $$ square).

We say it often, but this place is seriously awesome.

And if klez wants a second bottle, he can have one of my three. If not, I'm great with three.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Works for me. Tyger can pick up my bottles and pay my share (tyger, you owe me from the Kronos. This makes us $$ square).

And if klez wants a second bottle, he can have one of my three. If not, I'm great with three.

Order #222379 -- Cameron Hughes Wine thanks you.

CT

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Works for me. Tyger can pick up my bottles and pay my share (tyger, you owe me from the Kronos. This makes us $$ square).

Agreed

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
cmaldoon wrote:Ummm... I want one bottle to try ASAP... White cottage does a Howell mountain at $125 that is really tasty.

This was offered yesterday on wtso.

Howell Mountain Cabernet White Cottage Estate 'Risa' 2009

Unit Size 750.00 ml Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage: 2009 Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petite Sirah Country: United States Region: Howell Mountain Alcohol Content: 14.50 %

Original Price: $45.00
Yesterday's Best Web Price (inc shipping): $45.00

Price: $18.99

cmaldoon

bud8jr wrote:This was offered yesterday on wtso.

Howell Mountain Cabernet White Cottage Estate 'Risa' 2009

Unit Size 750.00 ml Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage: 2009 Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petite Sirah Country: United States Region: Howell Mountain Alcohol Content: 14.50 %

Original Price: $45.00
Yesterday's Best Web Price (inc shipping): $45.00

Price: $18.99

Yep... And I have 4 bottles due to ship on Monday from when it was up in August

My Cellar

cmaldoon

Double

My Cellar

jmdavidson

dudemanchu wrote:I am going to guess that Cathy did not make this wine. If she did, I think Invino would have stated that directly.

Do you have any info about Cathy working on this?

jmdavidson

karenhynes wrote:I may just call Phoenix Ranch if I get a chance this afternoon. They should certainly know who the winemaker was.

Did you get any more info re: Cathy working on this?

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:Did you get any more info re: Cathy working on this?

Interstingly, I just pulled this up again on invino. The write-up now says:
"2006 Phoenix Ranch Napa Valley Syrah
Napa Valley
Winemaker of the Year- Cathy Corison "

I could have sworn it originally said something like winemaker of the year "pedigree".

I just e-mailed the folks at Phoenix Ranch directly to see if I can get any better info...

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson

karenhynes wrote:Interstingly, I just pulled this up again on invino. The write-up now says:
"2006 Phoenix Ranch Napa Valley Syrah
Napa Valley
Winemaker of the Year- Cathy Corison "

I could have sworn it originally said something like winemaker of the year "pedigree".

I just e-mailed the folks at Phoenix Ranch directly to see if I can get any better info...

Can't recall what the original listing might have said. Here's what the email read:

2006 Phoenix Ranch Napa Valley Syrah
Napa Valley *Cathy Corison -'Winemaker of the Year' | Biodynamic Beauty

Why We're Drinking It
After enlisting the help of winemaking legend and powerhouse Cathy Corison (who went on to wine Winemaker of the Year in 2011) to make their first vintage, Phoenix Ranch winery was officially a powerhouse.

karenhynes

jmdavidson wrote:Can't recall what the original listing might have said. Here's what the email read:

2006 Phoenix Ranch Napa Valley Syrah
Napa Valley *Cathy Corison -'Winemaker of the Year' | Biodynamic Beauty

Why We're Drinking It
After enlisting the help of winemaking legend and powerhouse Cathy Corison (who went on to wine Winemaker of the Year in 2011) to make their first vintage, Phoenix Ranch winery was officially a powerhouse.

Hmmmm...I quoted their use of the term "pedigree" in an earlier post, so I am pretty sure it must have been in the original invino writeup at some point. I'm hoping they changed it to clarify her involvement...maybe they received a lot of inquiries.

I hope the folks at Phoenix Ranch reply to my e-mail....I'll be "away from technology" for a few hours, but I'll report back as soon as I can if I get any sort of response from them.

InFrom

karenhynes wrote:Hmmmm...I quoted their use of the term "pedigree" in an earlier post, so I am pretty sure it must have been in the original invino writeup at some point. I'm hoping they changed it to clarify her involvement...maybe they received a lot of inquiries.

I hope the folks at Phoenix Ranch reply to my e-mail....I'll be "away from technology" for a few hours, but I'll report back as soon as I can if I get any sort of response from them.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the use of "pedigree". Thanks for following up on this.

karenhynes

InFrom wrote:I'm pretty sure you're right about the use of "pedigree". Thanks for following up on this.

Alrighty Folks...here's the scoop!!

Good morning Karen,

Thank for you inquiry. Cathy Corison assisted my family in making the wines up to the 2007 vintage. Jillian and Cathy made the 2007 together. We had a few cases left hence why we choose to sell through Invino. The 2006 is the only vintage in which we co-fermented with our Viognier, about 5%. We use about 20% new French oak for a year of aging. Our wines have always aged extremely well, Cathy's winemaking style. Rich and restrained at the same time. The wine is dark purple, with notes of blue and black fruits, roses, lavender and touch of spice on the nose with a elegant mouth feel. Great with grilled meats and especially upcoming holiday meals. I see the wine aging beautifully for another 4 to 5 years.

Thanks for your inquiry and have a super day.

Cheers!
Richard

InFrom

karenhynes wrote:Alrighty Folks...here's the scoop!!

Good morning Karen,

Thank for you inquiry. Cathy Corison assisted my family in making the wines up to the 2007 vintage. Jillian and Cathy made the 2007 together. We had a few cases left hence why we choose to sell through Invino. The 2006 is the only vintage in which we co-fermented with our Viognier, about 5%. We use about 20% new French oak for a year of aging. Our wines have always aged extremely well, Cathy's winemaking style. Rich and restrained at the same time. The wine is dark purple, with notes of blue and black fruits, roses, lavender and touch of spice on the nose with a elegant mouth feel. Great with grilled meats and especially upcoming holiday meals. I see the wine aging beautifully for another 4 to 5 years.

Thanks for your inquiry and have a super day.

Cheers!
Richard

I like that scoop -- I think! I still question what he meant by she "assisted the family in making the wines" (Is he saying that Cathy made the wines? Why can't people express themselves precisely?), but I'm willing to chalk it up to clunky writing habits, since he seems to be saying that it wasn't until 2007 that a family member co-made the wine with her.

It is great that he took the time to send such a cordial reply, but I wish he could have been more direct in his phrasing -- did Cathy make the wine, or didn't she? But nobody's perfect, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, and stop trying to parse his circumlocutions. I guess. Especially b/c after that description, I can't wait to try the wine.

What's your take on this? Do you feel confident that it's Corison-made?

karenhynes

InFrom wrote:
What's your take on this? Do you feel confident that it's Corison-made?

I interpret it to mean that the family had Cathy make the wines until 2007, when Richard met Jillian (now his wife) and she joined as winemaker (she took over completely starting with the 2009 vintage, according to their bios). If she and Cathy made the 2007 vintage together, I am assuming that to be a transition year, with Cathy involved in all prior vintages of the syrah (except perhaps the 2002, which was made for "the family"). Either way, I like the sound of the tasing notes...so I am in!

InFrom

karenhynes wrote: ...Either way, I like the sound of the tasing notes...so I am in!

As am I, for 3!

bkarlan

Lot18 just handed me a $15 credit to use before midnight on october 31st. apparently I didnt use the other $15 credit they gave me.

Anyone else get a credit?

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
bkarlan wrote:Lot18 just handed me a $15 credit to use before midnight on october 31st. apparently I didnt use the other $15 credit they gave me.

Anyone else get a credit?

Just got one as well, though I don't see anything on there at the moment that interests me all that much.