ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bsevern wrote:My buddy runs an absinthe site, so I've tried a fair amount of it.

What kind is up at Caskers (I don't have an account there)?

Ridge Distillery
Extrait d’Absinthe Verte

The first absinthe featured on Caskers, Extrait d’Absinthe Verte is reminiscent of classic French absinthe, but made by hand in Montana.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

Has anyone checked out the site, Good Juice Direct? Any feedback? Good wine selections? Good pricing? Shipping/notifications?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
ddeuddeg wrote:Ridge Distillery
Extrait d’Absinthe Verte

The first absinthe featured on Caskers, Extrait d’Absinthe Verte is reminiscent of classic French absinthe, but made by hand in Montana.

Not familiar with that one, I'll ask my friend if he's tried it.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

WineShopper has Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 for $25.
I've had some very good FA Cabs from the 70's (and still have a '73), but have drunk none of their wines since then for some reason.

Anyone have recent experience with their cabs?

CT

bsevern

bsevern wrote:Not familiar with that one, I'll ask my friend if he's tried it.

Sorry, never heard back from my friend, I think he's traveling right now, so may not be checking email. Enjoy if anyone got in on it!

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Last bottle has Torii Mor Pinot Noir La Colina 2007 for $24. At the price I am tempted. Does anyone have experience with this wine? The cellar tracker reviews are not stellar but...

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kittymac wrote:Lat bottle has Torii Mor Pinot Noir La Colina 2007 for $24. At the price I am tempted. Does anyone have experience with this wine? The cellar tracker reviews are not stellar but...

This was released in 2009, and we were tasting at Torii Mor in September 2009. I didn't keep notes, but there's a very good chance this was in our flight.

If so it was very good. Everything in the flight ranged from excellent to outstanding, with the Deux Verres being our favorite at that tasting. (Imagine my elation when wine.woot featured the Duex Verres a week or so later.)

Torii Mor is almost an autobuy for me. If you want to split an order count me in and PM me.

bsevern

Vitis has:

C. H. Berres “Impulse” Riesling 2009

Delicious Off-dry Mosel Riesling – 47% Off

Delightful, minerally and expressive off-dry Mosel Riesling from C.H. Berres. The Berres family has been growing and making fine Riesling wines as far back as 1510. At the helm today is Markus Berres, the 21st generation of the family to make the wines.

$10/bottle, free shipping on 6+.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
ddeuddeg wrote:Ridge Distillery
Extrait d’Absinthe Verte

If I'd known you were interested in absinthe, I could have brought out the fountain...

First question - how are y'all on the taste of anise (black licorice)? That tends to be a dominant flavor, though in this case the reviews say it's balanced by the fennel and wormwood.

Anyway, here are some reviews of it.

I am not registered at caskers, but if it's a good deal, please get a bottle for me!

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

kittymac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kittymac

Gard Vintners is closing out the 2009 Altruism Pinot Gris and 2009 Altruism Resling for $60 a case on their website. Shipping maybe pricey but you can also pick it up I their tasting room.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Black blind-tasting wine glasses.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmdavidson

Today Wine Spies has the 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin Reserve up for $22.50 a bottle (free shipping with 6). Anyone in Chicago want to do a 3 for 3 split?

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:Today Wine Spies has the 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin Reserve up for $22.50 a bottle (free shipping with 6). Anyone in Chicago want to do a 3 for 3 split?

I'm in San Diego and would be up for a similar split as well.

CT

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:Today Wine Spies has the 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin Reserve up for $22.50 a bottle (free shipping with 6). Anyone in Chicago want to do a 3 for 3 split?

PM for ya.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare

Keep an eye out for something interesting tonight.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
Cesare wrote:Keep an eye out for something interesting tonight.

can you offer any tasting notes on this? I am very intrigued as I LOVE Italian wines.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare
bkarlan wrote:can you offer any tasting notes on this? I am very intrigued as I LOVE Italian wines.

Like a fruity smokey Pinot Noir.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
Cesare wrote:Like a fruity smokey Pinot Noir.

high acidity? long finish?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Funny that I'm the SH wine club member, but SWMBO gets the email telling her about that Winespies offer. No matter, Winespies can't/won't ship to NY. Saves me some $.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Invino has some Beer Pop-Up store thing up right now which is interesting because I was under the impression that there were issues with selling beer online.

kylemittskus

random122 wrote:Invino has some Beer Pop-Up store thing up right now which is interesting because I was under the impression that there were issues with selling beer online.

There are. WD has suggested that there are legal issues being ignored in this type of situation.

jmdavidson

Too bad no one wanted to get in on this. It was a good price and we know SH makes really good old vine zin.

jmdavidson

Today on WTSO, Tallulah Chardonnay 2009
Farina Vineyard
Sonoma Mountain
Free Shipping on 4 or more at $19.99. I've tried other Tallulahs and enjoyed them. Anyone have anything to say about this one?

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
jmdavidson wrote:Too bad no one wanted to get in on this. It was a good price and we know SH makes really good old vine zin.

I can walk down to bevmo and get it any day for that price. Probably why there was no interest.

CT

jmdavidson

cortot20 wrote:I can walk down to bevmo and get it any day for that price. Probably why there was no interest.

Last time I checked, we don't have Bevmo in Chicago.

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I can walk down to bevmo and get it any day for that price. Probably why there was no interest.

I can count on one hand when any of the local BevMo's have had something we've seen from WD. No SH and no Tallulah are both good current examples.

CT

jmdavidson

Once in a while I pick up something from Cinderella. Today was one of those days. Until 3, or sold out, they have: 2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara
94 Points Wine Enthusiast
Release Price - $50
CinderellaWine.com Price - $21.88 and free shipping on 6 bottles or more! I have bought and tasted this super Tuscan. It is everything that you will find in the CT. IMHO, a very, very good wine at a terrific price.

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:Once in a while I pick up something from Cinderella. Today was one of those days. Until 3, or sold out, they have: 2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara
Release Price - $50
CinderellaWine.com Price - $21.88 and free shipping on 6 bottles or more! I have bought and tasted this super Tuscan. It is everything that you will find in the CT. IMHO, a very, very good wine at a terrific price.

Was just about to ask if there were opinions on this. Good CT notes, but clearly seems to be more NW than OW in style; interesting nonetheless, if only it didn't take six.
SoCal split?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
jmdavidson wrote:Once in a while I pick up something from Cinderella. Today was one of those days. Until 3, or sold out, they have: 2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara
Release Price - $50

I hate you all... And wine library and the free shipping code from earlier this year. In for 2.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:I hate you all... And wine library and the free shipping code from earlier this year. In for 2.

+1

I have the Belcore from the same producer think i am going to crack on this one too.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:+1

I have the Belcore from the same producer think i am going to crack on this one too.

I'm passing, though not because of the quality of the wine (I haven't tried my bottle yet), but because I am not supposed to buy wine!

Edit: moot point as it's gone.

FYI: another "best deal of the year" will be here in another 45 minutes. And another 3 hours later. And then once more 3 hours after that.

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:I'm passing, though not because of the quality of the wine (I haven't tried my bottle yet), but because I am not supposed to buy wine!

FYI: another "best deal of the year" will be here in another 45 minutes. And another 3 hours later. And then once more 3 hours after that.

I blame your new found sanity on the 4 hours of sleep you've gotten in the past 2 nights.

My Cellar

jmdavidson

kylemittskus wrote:I'm passing, though not because of the quality of the wine (I haven't tried my bottle yet), but because I am not supposed to buy wine!

New website: wine.enablers.com. We are bad for each other, I won't deny it. That's the first step in the process, no?

kylemittskus

New CW offer up:

C. Donatiello Chardonnay Orsi Vineyard Russian River Valley 2009

The 08 was a really well-liked Chard. The 09 seems to be more oak/fruit and less mineral, but I think still quite well reviewed.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:New CW offer up:

C. Donatiello Chardonnay Orsi Vineyard Russian River Valley 2009

The 08 was a really well-liked Chard. The 09 seems to be more oak/fruit and less mineral, but I think still quite well reviewed.

I really liked the 08, but I agree the 09 sounds overdone.

rjquillin

New Cindy up, Roudon Smith Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, for $15. I'd like to like this, but 2006. Also, the two CT reviews are miles apart, but the 78 and I share some wines, and his notes seem reasonable. Bad bottle? Off day? Just a sub-par wine to avoid?

Need opinions on this one...

CT

cmaldoon

2010 Villacreces Pruno from Ribera del Duero on wine library..... What an unfortunate name for a wine. No wonder they have to sell it for $17/ bottle with a 94 Parker rating

$17 for a bottle of Pruno?

My Cellar

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
cmaldoon wrote:

I hear it goes for much more than that in maximum security.

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:2010 Villacreces Pruno from Ribera del Duero on wine library..... What an unfortunate name for a wine. No wonder they have to sell it for $17/ bottle with a 94 Parker rating

I'm taking a flyer on a couple and am hoping it sells for so little because of the name.

Ribera del Duero almost always has good acid due to the cold nights, never found not enough tannin in any RDD's I have had, and the ABV is only 13.5%.

The only thing that worries me is Parker's 94 rating...maybe his palate is changing for the better IMHO

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:I'm taking a flyer on a couple and am hoping it sells for so little because of the name.

pm for ya

CT