nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
klezman wrote:And with Joel's endorsement I'd take 3 also, so we need one more to take 3. Sparky?

Where are you guys located? Anyone in Norcal?

Neal K Bharadwaj

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
nealkb wrote:Where are you guys located? Anyone in Norcal?

We're in SoCal, but I do travel north somewhat frequently. Only catch is it's usually by plane so taking 3 bottles could be tough. But I'll have to bite the bullet eventually since I owe tenuki a couple bottles.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
dudemanchu wrote:Does anyone know if or how this different from Ty's 'regular' 2010 cab? The "winemaker's cuvée" part of the description (which also seems to be printed on the label) is confusing me. There is no "Winemaker's cuvée" on the winery website.

Thanks

i also like to know ,it seems that they used the same info from ty's website on bottom of page but they have a different # of cases produced on top of page. i took a chance for the price.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
joed10303 wrote:i also like to know ,it seems that they used the same info from ty's website on bottom of page but they have a different # of cases produced on top of page. i took a chance for the price.

From the emailer:

"The 2010 Estate Cabernet greets the palate with rich and robust flavors of black cherries, plums, cassis, followed by oak notes of cedar, sandalwood and vanilla. The dark flavors produce a velvety and dense texture mouth feel that combine with soft sturdy tannins, followed by a long silky smooth finish." ~Ty Caton

~Certified Sustainable~

CT

nealkb

klezman wrote:We're in SoCal, but I do travel north somewhat frequently. Only catch is it's usually by plane so taking 3 bottles could be tough. But I'll have to bite the bullet eventually since I owe tenuki a couple bottles.

If you guys need another person to buy Im in. Just hope you have a good place to store them until you fly up here

Neal K Bharadwaj

dudemanchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudemanchu
rjquillin wrote:From the emailer:

"The 2010 Estate Cabernet greets the palate with rich and robust flavors of black cherries, plums, cassis, followed by oak notes of cedar, sandalwood and vanilla. The dark flavors produce a velvety and dense texture mouth feel that combine with soft sturdy tannins, followed by a long silky smooth finish." ~Ty Caton

~Certified Sustainable~

That's what's strange. What WTSO quoted is the description that goes with the 2010 'regular' estate cab which has a production of 1900+ cases. The 'Winemaker's Cuvee', which is what we just bought from WTSO, was shown as having a lower case volume and a slightly different label. My theory is that this is Ty's "made for the outlet" label of his 2010 estate cab (I have only seen it offered at WTSO and it is not on the website or picked up by wine-searcher). Hopefully it is the same juice as the regular cab just packaged in a way that (possibly) makes it less likely to hurt sales of the regular label. I've never been disappointed by any of Ty's wines so I'm in on this - even if the WTSO description is confusing at best and possibly misleading.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine
dudemanchu wrote:That's what's strange. What WTSO quoted is the description that goes with the 2010 'regular' estate cab which has a production of 1900+ cases. The 'Winemaker's Cuvee', which is what we just bought from WTSO, was shown as having a lower case volume and a slightly different label. My theory is that this is Ty's "made for the outlet" label of his 2010 estate cab (I have only seen it offered at WTSO and it is not on the website or picked up by wine-searcher). Hopefully it is the same juice as the regular cab just packaged in a way that (possibly) makes it less likely to hurt sales of the regular label. I've never been disappointed by any of Ty's wines so I'm in on this - even if the WTSO description is confusing at best and possibly misleading.

I sent an inquiry email to the website and got a response back from Ty.

"...the wine being offered on the WTSO website is different from the Cabernet being sold on my website. The wine on WTSO was a private label made exclusively for WTSO in advance of the vintage. It is not sold at my tasting room, wine club, website, nor to any of my distributors, restaurants or wine shops. It's a nice wine."

So whatever that means. I did go in on this for the record.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
eluofthenine wrote:I sent an inquiry email to the website and got a response back from Ty.

"...the wine being offered on the WTSO website is different from the Cabernet being sold on my website. The wine on WTSO was a private label made exclusively for WTSO in advance of the vintage. It is not sold at my tasting room, wine club, website, nor to any of my distributors, restaurants or wine shops. It's a nice wine."

So whatever that means. I did go in on this for the record.

I must say that I do NOT like the thought of a wine made by a winery specifically for a single retailer without significant differentiation from the rest of their lineup and an idea on where the wine is to be viewed in comparison to their lineup. It really muddies the waters and doesn't allow the consumer to make strong value judgements. Unfortunately I think that's the point.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cmaldoon wrote:I must say that I do NOT like the thought of a wine made by a winery specifically for a single retailer without significant differentiation from the rest of their lineup and an idea on where the wine is to be viewed in comparison to their lineup. It really muddies the waters and doesn't allow the consumer to make strong value judgements. Unfortunately I think that's the point.

Agreed complete. I have no problem with wineries making wines exclusive for one retailed (ala Woot Cellars), it's the fact that he more-or-less relabeled an existing wine to sell it on a discounting retailer website as to not effect the perceived value/price of his existing wines. Honestly I think this just goes to shows why Ty's wines are overpriced to begin with.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

Recalling we've gotten Lance & Windmill (Quixote) PS from TJ's, I see 2009 Quixote Petite Sirah Pretense for $13 on WTSO. CT, fwiw and as expected, is mixed, but with a value of ~$17.50. Anyone besides Kyle tasted and/or have comments?

CT

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
cmaldoon wrote:I must say that I do NOT like the thought of a wine made by a winery specifically for a single retailer without significant differentiation from the rest of their lineup and an idea on where the wine is to be viewed in comparison to their lineup. It really muddies the waters and doesn't allow the consumer to make strong value judgements. Unfortunately I think that's the point.

i feel that a winemaker should be able to sell his wine any way he wants BUT i have a problem when a reseller uses a descripion WORD FOR WORD to sell the wine only to find out that its not the same wine.

jdhart306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdhart306

Philippe Prie champagne up on wtso right now for $23 a bottle. Pretty good reviews on CT.

cmaldoon

the d'arenberg coppermine road '05 on invino right now is pretty fantastic stuff. bright cherry with a multitude of spices and a very long butterscotch finish. the g/f and I had it in their tasting room last july and it was good enough to buy at $75, at 34, it is great. plus get 10 off of $50 using coupon lovewine. this will pay for shipping and tax and then some.

My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
joed10303 wrote:i feel that a winemaker should be able to sell his wine any way he wants BUT i have a problem when a reseller uses a descripion WORD FOR WORD to sell the wine only to find out that its not the same wine.

I almost guarantee it was the same wine as the estate cab. His estate cab is a winemakers cuvee its a blend of his different cabs. I dont remember how much i paid for the cab here when it was offered in a mixed three pack but I am sure it was more than $19.99.

Does this bother me? a little, but I also understand that he needs to move wine and if he has to relabel it in order to not bring his overall brand down then he can do that. In cases like this however it may do more harm then good to his overall brand by not creating goodwill amongst his fans.

I have resolved to only buying his low end blends and not his varietal wines due to the large price increases we have seen over the last few years.

CT

rjquillin

WTSO is at it again, well, coming next week.

October 2nd (next Tuesday) is our Full-On Marathon!

Tuesday, October 2nd is our Full-On Marathon and we're pulling out all the stops to offer discounted, high-end wines at blazing speed. This is our original "Marathon" format where each item is only available for 15 minutes or fewer.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

Invino has up 2008 Concannon Vineyard Petite Sirah Captain Joe's Concannon Estate Vineyard for $21.99. Only one CT review. Was wondering if anyone, ahem PS, has tried this and has an opinion?

eluofthenine

cmaldoon wrote:the d'arenberg coppermine road '05 on invino right now is pretty fantastic stuff. bright cherry with a multitude of spices and a very long butterscotch finish. the g/f and I had it in their tasting room last july and it was good enough to buy at $75, at 34, it is great. plus get 10 off of $50 using coupon lovewine. this will pay for shipping and tax and then some.

the tasting room in Australia?!

i hear it is not the typical cab with dark fruits and currant, rather cherry and mineral flavored? not really sure if this is my style for cab or what, but i am half interested in more as i already have 2 2006 bottles stashed away that i haven't tried yet. from what i read, it seems like people like the 06 better?

edit: the pic of the bottle on the invino site makes it look like a screw cap? i know it's not.

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:Invino has up 2008 Concannon Vineyard Petite Sirah Captain Joe's Concannon Estate Vineyard for $21.99. Only one CT review. Was wondering if anyone, ahem PS, has tried this and has an opinion?

Sparky and I both picked up some of this at Concannon on the way back from the rpm tour for a bit over $25, if that helps. Wouldn't think of pulling a cork anytime soon. I don't recall if we had the opportunity to taste it or not, but I think not. Perhaps Sparky or TimZ would recall.

CT

cmaldoon

eluofthenine wrote:the tasting room in Australia?!

i hear it is not the typical cab with dark fruits and currant, rather cherry and mineral flavored? not really sure if this is my style for cab or what, but i am half interested in more as i already have 2 2006 bottles stashed away that i haven't tried yet. from what i read, it seems like people like the 06 better?

edit: the pic of the bottle on the invino site makes it look like a screw cap? i know it's not.

They call them "Cellar Doors" there down under

I got to try the '05 and '06 side by side there at the cellar door and I personally preferred the '05. The style IS different from alot of cabs having a much lighter toned flavor (cherry pomegranite as opposed to black cherry/plum/mocha) It has great concentration, decent complexity, and a LONG butterscotch finish when fully open. I compare it slightly to some of the napa mountain cabs.

Lastly, it is indeed a screwcap but the one I drank 6-12 months ago tasted great. I just picked up 4 more bottles at this price.

My Cellar

eluofthenine

cmaldoon wrote:They call them "Cellar Doors" there down under

I got to try the '05 and '06 side by side there at the cellar door and I personally preferred the '05. The style IS different from alot of cabs having a much lighter toned flavor (cherry pomegranite as opposed to black cherry/plum/mocha) It has great concentration, decent complexity, and a LONG butterscotch finish when fully open. I compare it slightly to some of the napa mountain cabs.

Lastly, it is indeed a screwcap but the one I drank 6-12 months ago tasted great. I just picked up 4 more bottles at this price.

Weird that the 05 is a screw cap and the 06 is a cork. And what do you Think you liked better about the 05 versus the 06? Was it just that it was maybe slightly less young?

cmaldoon

eluofthenine wrote:Weird that the 05 is a screw cap and the 06 is a cork. And what do you Think you liked better about the 05 versus the 06? Was it just that it was maybe slightly less young?

Went back to the wine notes from the trip. Apparently I tried the 07 and the 05 not the 06. The 05 had a MUCH better finish and more complexity.

I am sorry I can't differentiate the 06 from the 05 for you. Still a great price for these.

My Cellar

nealkb

klezman wrote:We're in SoCal, but I do travel north somewhat frequently. Only catch is it's usually by plane so taking 3 bottles could be tough. But I'll have to bite the bullet eventually since I owe tenuki a couple bottles.

Do you guys still need me to claim those last 3? PM if needed..

Neal K Bharadwaj

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I'm lazy, so if someone posted this, I don't care.

2 Pack: Vintage Vac Motorized Vacuum Seal Wine Saver w/ Vacuum Pump & Auto Tilt Shutoff Shipping with these folks tends to run the gamut from: did they go out of business to holy crap that was fast. There is no in between.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Wine.com has a $10 off $75+ purchase coupon valid until the end of the month. Use code: SHOP4WINE to get it.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

WTSO has the 2011 Domaine du Garde Temps Côtes de Provence Tourbillon rosé right now for $10.99 with free shipping on 4. This was my favorite rosé of this year, and should drink beautifully for another couple of years. I just bought a case. Outstanding QPR here.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
blakewoot wrote:WTSO has the 2011 Domaine du Garde Temps Côtes de Provence Tourbillon rosé right now for $10.99 with free shipping on 4. This was my favorite rosé of this year, and should drink beautifully for another couple of years. I just bought a case. Outstanding QPR here.

Thanks for the feedback, got some

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
blakewoot wrote:WTSO has the 2011 Domaine du Garde Temps Côtes de Provence Tourbillon rosé right now for $10.99 with free shipping on 4. This was my favorite rosé of this year, and should drink beautifully for another couple of years. I just bought a case. Outstanding QPR here.

I bought a case of this over the summer, but delayed shipping until summer was over. So it just arrived yesterday. I was quite curious to try it, so I opened a bottle last night without worrying about giving it time to settle down after shipping.

It was excellent - I liked it much more than the Pedroncelli Dry Rosé that was on woot a year or ago (and which was the offering that introduced me to dry rosé in general). Posted my notes at CT - look for Basil Ganglia.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

$10 Oriel Chardonnay on LB, FS on 8.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
trifecta wrote:$10 Oriel Chardonnay on LB, FS on 8.

Any feedback on this one? I was looking at it earlier this morning...

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

really interesting bundle from C.G. Di Arie

One Bottle Each of '08 Primitivo, '08 Zinfandel Sierra Foothills, '09 Barbera, '06 Amador Syrah, '08 Petite Sirah and '09 Interlude

$99 includes shipping

Only available Thurs through Sat 9/29

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:4 will put us in the right ballpark. I expect I'll owe you a couple $ after tax

Let me know if /when you get it.

Thanks!

Arrived today at the storage lockers and is tucked away from my grubby little mits, for now!

CT

klezman

nealkb wrote:Do you guys still need me to claim those last 3? PM if needed..

Right, so we could do the whole case if you're in for 3. I'm a little tentative on committing to bringing that much wine up to the bay area with me in one trip especially given that I don't know when that will be.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

noslensj wrote:Basil Ganglia.

YES!
Love neuroscience jokes

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Right, so we could do the whole case if you're in for 3. I'm a little tentative on committing to bringing that much wine up to the bay area with me in one trip especially given that I don't know when that will be.

I'm gonna need to make a trip north for pickups as well. Perhaps we could find a mutual time for the trip...

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:I'm gonna need to make a trip north for pickups as well. Perhaps we could find a mutual time for the trip...

That could make the logistics easier too. I almost never check a bag headed that way by plane. I rarely drive it. Let's have all you guys send me a PM with your email so we can coordinate a little easier before pushing the button.

klezman

Can I interest anybody in joining me on some futures from Roche Winery? I've had their wines before, and they are nicely and have a nice balanced style. I also went in on 2008 futures of the Pinot and it's just starting to come into its drinking window. It's all Carneros fruit, and I'd be interested in any of the three reds below:

2012 French Oak Chardonnay - $280/case
2012 American Oak Chardonnay - $265/case
2012 Reserve Pinot Noir - $315/case
2012 Reserve Merlot - $295/case
2012 Carneros Syrah - $260/case

bdlsmoran

The Nola Syrah Mixed Four Pack on invino seems interesting. Think I might take a flyer, any comments on this wine?

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Can I interest anybody in joining me on some futures from Roche Winery? I've had their wines before, and they are nicely and have a nice balanced style. I also went in on 2008 futures of the Pinot and it's just starting to come into its drinking window. It's all Carneros fruit, and I'd be interested in any of the three reds below:

2012 French Oak Chardonnay - $280/case
2012 American Oak Chardonnay - $265/case
2012 Reserve Pinot Noir - $315/case
2012 Reserve Merlot - $295/case
2012 Carneros Syrah - $260/case

Are these all harvested already? What an awesome vintage this should turn out to be. I wish I had at least a bit of exposure to this winery... Most interesting to me would be the syrah because of the cool spot.

bdlsmoran

$10.00 off Vitis.com
We've got a treat for you! Use the promocode: $10 Off Friday for 10 dollars off your wine! Good through tomorrow for $10 dollars off the current deal!

klezman

trifecta wrote:Are these all harvested already? What an awesome vintage this should turn out to be. I wish I had at least a bit of exposure to this winery... Most interesting to me would be the syrah because of the cool spot.

The email said they're in the middle of harvest. I've only got a few bottles left, but the 2005 Merlot and Merlot Reserve are excellent right now.