cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
CAGrl wrote:So Saturday or Sunday? Let's decide on that first. Which day is better for people. Maybe we can also figure out a carpool for people heading up from the south bay?

Lets make it Sunday. There are likely a few fewer people and I am less likely to have to work a Sunday than a Saturday.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
SonomaBouliste wrote:Grenache. It seems a tad sacreligious to bring a non-Rhone to the fig cafe or the girl & the fig since their wine lists are all Rhone.

That makes sense.

Maybe I should ask you in a different thread and not derail this one, but do you ever get sick of drinking your own wine? Do you drink your own every day? Just curious.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
cmaldoon wrote:Lets make it Sunday. There are likely a few fewer people and I am less likely to have to work a Sunday than a Saturday.

So we have Saturday and Sunday. I do have to agree that Sunday might be less busy. If we do Sunday, maybe an earlier day so we can all make it home to go to sleep for work on Monday. If we plan on dinner at 5 then that'll work.

I really really want to hit up Santa Rosa, but maybe do that side another time? I'd really like to hit up Dry Creek again. Just drank the Chenin Blanc and it was yummy! So maybe just Wellington, Kunde and Luxton?

CAGrl

otolith wrote:That makes sense.

Maybe I should ask you in a different thread and not derail this one, but do you ever get sick of drinking your own wine? Do you drink your own every day? Just curious.

Hijack all you want. I'm curious too. It's always interesting to hear about wine makers and what they drink.

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:So we have Saturday and Sunday. I do have to agree that Sunday might be less busy. If we do Sunday, maybe an earlier day so we can all make it home to go to sleep for work on Monday. If we plan on dinner at 5 then that'll work.

I really really want to hit up Santa Rosa, but maybe do that side another time? I'd really like to hit up Dry Creek again. Just drank the Chenin Blanc and it was yummy! So maybe just Wellington, Kunde and Luxton?

I'd hate to pass up the fantastic offer from Inspiration Vineyards....

My Cellar

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
CAGrl wrote:If we plan on dinner at 5 then that'll work.

The Fig cafe opens at 5:30pm; I'm thinking we should get there early to wait in line though.

cmaldoon wrote:I'd hate to pass up the fantastic offer from Inspiration Vineyards....

I'm with cmaldoon on this! Going to Inspiration Vineyards really only adds 20 minutes of drive time to the schedule. How I came up with 20 minutes;

Palo Alto, CA to Inspiration Vineyards = 1 hour 53 minutes

Palo Alto, CA to Kunde = 2 hours 1 minute

Inspiration to Kunde = 28 minutes

Since Inspiration Vineyards as a first stop is a shorter driving time by 8 minutes, 28 minutes - 8 minutes = 20 minutes

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Either day works for me, slight preference for Sunday but only because I watch a ton of college football

CT

superwineguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
tenuki wrote:If we're going out towards Santa rosa anyway I'd vote for either the place that sells Estrella? Or whatever, I still haven't tried any, just keep hearing how good it is.

Did anyone email supersonoman? He's out that way as well.

Hello all, I just saw this post after four days of road warrioring sales. I would love to have you guys to the Super digs! My rolling bay doors are always open...and I am only two doors down from our boy John at Inspiration.

It is likely I will have fruit in the winery as well and that means (at least) two things. Thing one - copious amounts of wine, pizza and beer. Thing two - ample opportunity to jump in bins and tread or at least punch down! The offer stands for any of you guys coming into town.

If there is no fruit on deck we can always barrel taste if you have time.

Also, I was rooting around in my stash the other day and found a couple of Magnums of eighties/early ninties Dry Creek and Napa juice. If you guys can make it up we can pop some corks and taste through it to see how it held up.

Oh yea one other thing Super Sonoman tasting fee....always $0 ;-) if your a wooter!

CAGrl

Okay. With Super Sonoma chiming in, how can we turn it down!!! So Inspiration, Super Sonoma (lunch there as well I guess) and then move onto Luxton/Kunde/Wellington. Then Fig Cafe for dinner? How's that for a day.

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:Okay. With Super Sonoma chiming in, how can we turn it down!!! So Inspiration, Super Sonoma (lunch there as well I guess) and then move onto Luxton/Kunde/Wellington. Then Fig Cafe for dinner? How's that for a day.

It would have to start early like on the tour. 4 full and one partial is about the MAX for a day.

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:It would have to start early like on the tour. 4 full and one partial is about the MAX for a day.

Well, I can settle for Inspiration, Super Sonoma, Wellington. Kunde I can drive by and pick up a bottle of gewurtz and meet you all at Wellington. I don't want to feel rushed.

ajrod27

Draft schedule #1

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:30am

A to B = 302 feet ~1 minute (walking)

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 11:31am-1:30pm (including lunch)

B to C = 13.9 miles ~28 minutes

• (C.) Kunde - 2:15pm-2:45pm

C to D = 1.7 miles ~3 minutes

• (D.) Luxton 2:50pm-3:25pm

D to E = 0.2 miles ~1 minutes

• (E.) Wellington 3:30pm-5:00pm

E to F = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (F.) Fig Cafe
(opens at 5:30pm)

Draft schedule #2

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:45am

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 11:46am-1:45pm (including lunch)

• (C.) Kunde - 2:30pm-3:10pm

C to D = 1.9 miles ~4 minutes

• (D.) Wellington 3:15pm-5:00pm

D to E = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (E.) Fig Cafe

Draft schedule #3

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:59am

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 12:00am-2:30pm (including lunch)

B to C = 15.8 miles ~32 minutes

• (C.) Wellington 3:15pm-5:00pm

C to D = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (D.) Fig Cafe

It's hard to make a solid schedule when you do not know how long each tour will last. Can the wineries chime in on the duration we should schedule for your tour? That would be very helpful

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
ajrod27 wrote:
It's hard to make a solid schedule when you do not know how long each tour will last. Can the wineries chime in on the duration we should schedule for your tour? That would be very helpful

THIS is why we so appreciate what whoop, RPM and WD did for us!

CT

superwineguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
ajrod27 wrote:Draft schedule #1

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:30am

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 11:31am-1:30pm (including lunch)

• (C.) Kunde - 2:15pm-2:45pm

C to D = 1.7 miles ~3 minutes

• (D.) Luxton 2:50pm-3:25pm

D to E = 0.2 miles ~1 minutes

• (E.) Wellington 3:30pm-5:00pm

E to F = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (F.) Fig Cafe

Draft schedule #2

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:45am

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 11:46am-1:45pm (including lunch)

• (C.) Kunde - 2:30pm-3:10pm

C to D = 1.9 miles ~4 minutes

• (D.) Wellington 3:15pm-5:00pm

D to E = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (F.) Fig Cafe

Draft schedule #3

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:59am

• (B.) Super Sonoman - 12:00am-2:30pm (including lunch)

B to C = 15.8 miles ~32 minutes

• (C.) Wellington 3:15pm-5:00pm

C to D = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (F.) Fig Cafe

I would love to give you guys a tour of the facility, Barrel taste and pop some corks. This can take some time...1-2 hours. But I am willing to work with your schedule.

We do have a picnic table and a grill at the facility if you wamted to have lunch there.

It sounds like a full day of fun.

CAGrl

superwineguy wrote:I would love to give you guys a tour of the facility, Barrel taste and pop some corks. This can take some time...1-2 hours. But I am willing to work with your schedule.

We do have a picnic table and a grill at the facility if you wamted to have lunch there.

It sounds like a full day of fun.

Well, I don't want to feel rushed. and I do like what you have planned so I do like the idea of spending 1-2 hours at Super Sonoman. Lunch there also sounds like a great idea. What should we eat? What should we bring? This is planning out to be a wonderfully fun day.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

CAGrl - do you want to turn this into NorCal #12 and put a TBD on the Volcanic GTG?

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
bsevern wrote:Jucuzzi (Italian style wines) is also across from Cline (French style wines). I believe their both owned by the same family.

Different families (Jacuzzi family vs. Cline family), but they share winemakers. And if you're at Jacuzzi, take a few minutes to drift across the hallway to the Olive Press tasting room. Yum! Be sure to go back in November when the Olio Nuovo comes out. Super yummy and very limited production run.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

S and I are in for the 29th. Option 3 looks fine to me. I may have to zip to Meeker to pick up some Pinot's and either be late to or skip inspiration (was there in late march). Or we could try to get Lucas Meeker in the loop? The winery is actually in Santa rosa. Less than 5 miles from Inspiration. Thoughts?

1308 Corporate Center Parkway in Santa Rosa, CA

CAGrl

trifecta wrote:S and I are in for the 29th. Option 3 looks fine to me. I may have to zip to Meeker to pick up some Pinot's and either be late to or skip inspiration (was there in late march). Or we could try to get Lucas Meeker in the loop? The winery is actually in Santa rosa. Less than 5 miles from Inspiration. Thoughts?

1308 Corporate Center Parkway in Santa Rosa, CA

So are we settling on Saturday, September 29th? I will update the title then. And we can plan the schedule soon. I do like Meeker too. Choices choices.

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman

Sad...I'm going to have to miss out on this fantastic day. Not going to be in the right area. Figures...soon as I move away the rest of the NorCal folks start doing things on a regular basis

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

CAGrl wrote:So are we settling on Saturday, September 29th? I will update the title then. And we can plan the schedule soon. I do like Meeker too. Choices choices.

Saturday:
ajrod27
bsevern
trifecta

Sunday:
Cmaldoon
tenuki (slight preference)

Meeker is always a nice stop. I'd definitely choose Meeker over Luxton, given that this is a woot gathering

cmaldoon

ajrod27 wrote:Saturday:
ajrod27
bsevern
trifecta

Sunday:
Cmaldoon
tenuki (slight preference)

Meeker is always a nice stop. I'd definitely choose Meeker over Luxton, given that this is a woot gathering

Don't use me for those preferences. It's looking like a 50/50 chance of me having to work that weekend. On top of that it was just a preference for Sunday to avoid Saturday crowds, no other reason. I think that makes it firmly Saturday the 29th.

My Cellar

CAGrl

I think Saturday it is then. I like saturday because it gives you Sunday to recover before heading to work on Monday. Does Saturday, 9/29, work for the wineries?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
CAGrl wrote: I like saturday because it gives you Sunday to recover before heading to work on Monday.

Exactly my thought.

trifecta

It sounds like we have at least 4 coming from the South Bay. Maybe we can work a carpool? Wait, CAgrl, are you in PA now?

Historically 880 has been the fastest route for me(vs 280 or 101). We could potentially even pick up or meet tenuki too.

I will also try to get a hold of Lucas tomorrow and find out if Meeker is really an option.

CAGrl

trifecta wrote:It sounds like we have at least 4 coming from the South Bay. Maybe we can work a carpool? Wait, CAgrl, are you in PA now?

Historically 880 has been the fastest route for me(vs 280 or 101). We could potentially even pick up or meet tenuki too.

I will also try to get a hold of Lucas tomorrow and find out if Meeker is really an option.

Yup. Hubby and I are in PA now. I would really appreciate you getting ahold of Meeker and seeing if we can do a stop. That would be awesome.

I think 880, Richmond Bridge to 101 is the fastest way (well for me I'd also have dumbarton).

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I really want to go with you guys, But Beyond Wonderland in Oakland is the same day .

Neal K Bharadwaj

cmaldoon

Because he may be through this board soon, I'd like to give a congratulatory shout out to Chris of super sonoman for earning a 93 and 2 92 ratings in the most recent wine enthusiast. Ratings certainly aren't everything but the recognition will help I am sure.

( 93. 2008 Syrah)
( 92. 2007 Meritage)
( 92. 2008 Cab)

My Cellar

trifecta

I heard back from Lucas Meeker and he would be happy to have us on the 29th. He is ok with either starting the day (before insp/sonoman) or going after insp/sonoman. According to google maps, both itineraries have the same exact drive time. In order to accommodate the additional stop, I propose taking a little time out of each of the other 3 stops. See 2 proposed schedules:

Location, Start - End
Meeker, 10AM - 11:15AM
Inspiration, 11:30AM - 1PM
Super Sonoman, 1PM - 2:45PM incl lunch
Wellington, 3:30PM - 5PM
Fig Café, opens at 5:30PM

Location, Start - End
Inspiration, 10AM - 11:30AM
Super Sonoman, 11:30PM - 1:15PM incl lunch
Meeker, 1:30PM - 2:45PM
Wellington, 3:30PM - 5PM
Fig Café, opens at 5:30PM

Also, Lucas wanted an idea of how many wines we would like to taste and what types of wines so that he can be ready for us. He has his own line of pinots (lucasj)in additional to the great big reds of Meeker.

Comments?

klezman

If the new Duke is good I'll go in for a few bottles if somebody would pick them up for me. Now who knows enough about my preferences to know what I think is good?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Cross post from 'deals' for the Wellington group.

Wellington has Duke 10 up for under $10...

Will be awaiting rats from the crew of the upcoming Wellington visit, as Duke is now in the tasting room.

CT

trifecta

klezman wrote:If the new Duke is good I'll go in for a few bottles if somebody would pick them up for me. Now who knows enough about my preferences to know what I think is good?

I would be happy to store some for you. I have never tried the duke before. What kind of blend is it? I think our tastes might align for zins and PETs, but I recall a difference of opinion on a cab franc.

klezman

trifecta wrote:I would be happy to store some for you. I have never tried the duke before. What kind of blend is it? I think our tastes might align for zins and PETs, but I recall a difference of opinion on a cab franc.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Duke is kitchen sink blend - multi-vintage blend of whatever is around that turns into a good table wine. I think it's got a lot of Zin in general, plus Syrah, PS, Alicante, and anything else Peter has laying around. I've tried two vintages and enjoyed one much more than the previous. Last year's was great at $8 - not all that complex but great acid and spot on ripeness. Two years ago, though, the Duke was a little on the candy-ish side on the finish. That's my #1 dislike in wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

To make a long day longer, there's a Ty Caton party that night as well if we want to do that instead of Girl and the Fig.

CT

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:

Also, Lucas wanted an idea of how many wines we would like to taste and what types of wines so that he can be ready for us. He has his own line of pinots (lucasj)in additional to the great big reds of Meeker.

Comments?

I would like to try the Lucas J. line of Pinot Noir. Thanks to you, I've probably already tasted the entire Meeker big reds line lol.

tenuki wrote:To make a long day longer, there's a Ty Caton party that night as well if we want to do that instead of Girl and the Fig.

$15 in advance or $20 at the door for the Ty Caton party.

Hmmm, good food (Fig cafe) or good wine (Ty Caton)? That's a tough decision. I guess we could go to the Fig cafe anytime we're in the area; winemaker parties don't happen very often. I'm up in the air on this, I'm open to either option.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

You guys are making me jealous. I'll add this to my list of "reasons to move back to the Bay Area"

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

trifecta

klezman wrote:Yeah, that sounds about right. Duke is kitchen sink blend - multi-vintage blend of whatever is around that turns into a good table wine. I think it's got a lot of Zin in general, plus Syrah, PS, Alicante, and anything else Peter has laying around. I've tried two vintages and enjoyed one much more than the previous. Last year's was great at $8 - not all that complex but great acid and spot on ripeness. Two years ago, though, the Duke was a little on the candy-ish side on the finish. That's my #1 dislike in wine.

Got it. I am with you on the candy dislike. Good acid is my barometer on value wines as well.

trifecta

tenuki wrote:To make a long day longer, there's a Ty Caton party that night as well if we want to do that instead of Girl and the Fig.

I personally would vote the Fig Cafe. After a full day of tasting wine I don't think I want to do a wine party for 3 more hours.

I also have not been very impressed with Ty's wine. This may be sacrelig around here, but there have only been a couple of his wines I liked and the QPR was not that great (even at woot prices).

This also may be a logical place for folks to go different directions. I know S and I will be headed to the fig. We really enjoyed our last meal there.

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:I personally would vote the Fig Cafe. After a full day of tasting wine I don't think I want to do a wine party for 3 more hours.

I also have not been very impressed with Ty's wine. This may be sacrelig around here, but there have only been a couple of his wines I liked and the QPR was not that great (even at woot prices).

This also may be a logical place for folks to go different directions. I know S and I will be headed to the fig. We really enjoyed our last meal there.

I'll put in a second vote for the fig with similar reasoning. Wine party after day of tasting is not always the best. (unless it's planned by wine farm of course)

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:I'll put in a second vote for the fig with similar reasoning. Wine party after day of tasting is not always the best. (unless it's planned by wine farm of course)

I third this. So should we do meeker before inspirations or after super Sonoman? Guess it depend when people want to eat.