CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
cmaldoon wrote:Wait... that's supposed to keep us away? If you promise you'd hand me something like that and/or other wine related tasks I'll gladly come up and give you a day of my time and hard work in that September-November timeframe!

I was just thinking the same thing!!!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
SonomaBouliste wrote:Not "still busy". We should just be getting up to full speed by then, and we'll probably have some red fermentations going by then. Peak activity should be the second week of October. Visitors are welcome during crush. We can talk while we work, and if you get too close we'll probably hand you a brush and a bucket of whitewash (or a punchdown stick).

I love driving by the wineries during crush...nothing like a droptop drive down Silverado Trail during crush...the aroma is intoxicating

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
CAGrl wrote:Well, which dates in Sept/Oct and we can definitely try to overlap.

We're meeting today to try to nail down details. I'll let you know once we settle on dates.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

CAGrl

CAGrl wrote:So Saturday or Sunday?

These are my available dates are the weekend of:

9/22, 9/29, 10/20, 10/27 and 11/3

Obviously contingent on my and hubby's new jobs.

Oops. 9/22 is out. Forgot the in-laws are taking us to the Giants game that weekend.

pcuccaro wrote:We're meeting today to try to nail down details. I'll let you know once we settle on dates.

That's great. Thanks! Hope we can all meet up.

pcuccaro

CAGrl wrote:That's great. Thanks! Hope we can all meet up.

Our flights are booked for Saturday Oct. 13 to Wednesday Oct 17. It would be great to meet you all if those dates work but don't feel like you need to schedule around us.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
pcuccaro wrote:Our flights are booked for Saturday Oct. 13 to Wednesday Oct 17. It would be great to meet you all if those dates work but don't feel like you need to schedule around us.

Depending on where you're coming from, I'll wave as we pass each other in the air.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

pcuccaro

klezman wrote:Depending on where you're coming from, I'll wave as we pass each other in the air.

Houston!

Italian proverb

CAGrl

pcuccaro wrote:Our flights are booked for Saturday Oct. 13 to Wednesday Oct 17. It would be great to meet you all if those dates work but don't feel like you need to schedule around us.

Unfortunately we have tickets to the 49ers v. Giants game that weekend. So that definitely won't work. So sad. It's always nice meeting wooters.

So how does the last weekend in September sound to everyone else? October is turning out to be a busy month with all the 49er games to go to.

CAGrl

So how does September 29 or 30 sound to everybody?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
CAGrl wrote:So how does September 29 or 30 sound to everybody?

Think it works for me.

CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:Think it works for me.

I'm assuming if you're planning on coming then we should schedule starting in the afternoon because I was initially thinking of starting around 10:30.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:I'm assuming if you're planning on coming then we should schedule starting in the afternoon because I was initially thinking of starting around 10:30.

You can run around all morning if you want to, just save the best for last I normally end up in Sonoma around noon, and that's because I go half an hour out of my way for Model bakery/Oxbow market in Napa for breakfast.

CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:You can run around all morning if you want to, just save the best for last I normally end up in Sonoma around noon, and that's because I go half an hour out of my way for Model bakery/Oxbow market in Napa for breakfast.

Well if you want we can start out that way for breakfast. And then plan from there on.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

You guys are making me jealous!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
CAGrl wrote:Well if you want we can start out that way for breakfast. And then plan from there on.

So, is the plan to start out in Napa and finish near Wellington? I would definitely like to hit the fig cafe afterwards; no corkage!

I need to pick up my club shipments at Hess collection on Mr. Veeder, so I'll probably stop there before 'breakfast'. I can arrange a private tour and tasting at Hess, complimentary for myself and 3 guests, if anybody is interested in starting early

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ajrod27 wrote:And while you guys were doing that, we were doing the same thing at Michel-Schlumberger during our tour of the winery. The aromas that are released while punching down the cap are amazing!

Truly amazing.It's going to be interesting to see what the new ownership does with the place. So far, they seem to be dumping a lot of the inventory from the previous winemaker.
On to the point of this thread, didn't mean to hijack it. I got a strong recommendation for Imagery on the way out there last fall, when coincidentally, one of my students and his father were on the same flight. I asked Peter about it while we were there, and it sounds like a really interesting visit. Their website shows some wines you won't find everywhere.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Well if you want we can start out that way for breakfast. And then plan from there on.

Haha, you don't have to base your itinerary off me, but yeah, if you're looking for a place to start the day, I love that area. Although I'd also be up for trying this place near the square if we're just going to Sonoma.

Crisp

CT

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ajrod27 wrote:So, is the plan to start out in Napa and finish near Wellington? I would definitely like to hit the fig cafe afterwards; no corkage!

I need to pick up my club shipments at Hess collection on Mr. Veeder, so I'll probably stop there before 'breakfast'. I can arrange a private tour and tasting at Hess, complimentary for myself and 3 guests, if anybody is interested in starting early

We went to the Fig Cafe last weekend for my birthday dinner. Everything was delicious, and yes, no corkage makes it even more attractive.

CAGrl

I like the idea of Fig Cafe now. It's a place I've been wanting to try. So shall we plan on staying in the Sonoma area and then do dinner at Fig? Saturday or Sunday?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
SonomaBouliste wrote:We went to the Fig Cafe last weekend for my birthday dinner. Everything was delicious, and yes, no corkage makes it even more attractive.

So what did you open on your Bday? A Scott Harvey?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

twstdvn

quality posts: 70 Private Messages twstdvn
CAGrl wrote:So I figured I create a thread to visit Wellington/other wineries in the fall. I'm busy early October (49ers games at home) but anytime before or after that we're free.

I really want to go to buy a case of Wellington Duke so we definitely have to go before the middle of November. So when does everyone have some time and which wineries should we visit?

I'll update this as well as the title as we get more definite plans.

If you have some extra time to come north by 30 minutes into Santa Rosa, I'd love to show all of you around my winery (Inspiration Vineyards) - Please let me know... Cheers!
Jon

ajrod27

CAGrl wrote:I like the idea of Fig Cafe now. It's a place I've been wanting to try. So shall we plan on staying in the Sonoma area and then do dinner at Fig? Saturday or Sunday?

Saturday works for me. I don't think the Fig cafe takes reservation, so we just have to hope we get there early enough to make the first service. When we went there the day after the Petite Sirah - Dark and Delicious event, we waited in line outside the door for them to open. We got there about half an hour before they opened and still didn't get a table! Luckily, bar seating was still available. It was definitely worth the wait though

twstdvn wrote:If you have some extra time to come north by 30 minutes into Santa Rosa, I'd love to show all of you around my winery (Inspiration Vineyards) - Please let me know... Cheers!
Jon

That would be quite the treat! Winemakers always host the most informative tours. I wouldn't mind going out of my way for a special tour, hopefully everyone else is in agreement.

CAGrl

ajrod27 wrote:That would be quite the treat! Winemakers always host the most informative tours. I wouldn't mind going out of my way for a special tour, hopefully everyone else is in agreement.

Agreed. I think that would be awesome. So we have Inspiration, Wellington and Kunde we have to hit. Maybe 1 more and then we can plan where to start, time and where to end up?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
CAGrl wrote:Agreed. I think that would be awesome. So we have Inspiration, Wellington and Kunde we have to hit. Maybe 1 more and then we can plan where to start, time and where to end up?

as Peter said:
I would recommend Loxton (next door), Imagery, Enkidu, Paradise Ridge,...

Also, I know you want the Gewurtztraminer, but on the whole I was unimpressed with Kunde. I've been there twice now, similar thoughts. Too big, nothing special. Perhaps stop in and just purchase or plan on it being a short stop? We won't get attention like we would at Wellington or Inspiration.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:as Peter said:
I would recommend Loxton (next door), Imagery, Enkidu, Paradise Ridge,...

Also, I know you want the Gewurtztraminer, but on the whole I was unimpressed with Kunde. I've been there twice now, similar thoughts. Too big, nothing special. Perhaps stop in and just purchase or plan on it being a short stop? We won't get attention like we would at Wellington or Inspiration.

Oh yeah. That was my plan. I wasn't impressed with their wines, but joelsisk really made me want to try a bottle of the gewurtz

ajrod27

CAGrl wrote: Maybe 1 more and then we can plan where to start, time and where to end up?

Imagery - $25-$65 - Tasting $10
Paridise Ridege - $22-$65 - Tasting $10 (waived with purchase)
Enkidu - $20-$45 - Tasting $10 (waived with purchase)
Luxton - $16-$35 - Tasting (no pricing online)

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Agreed. I think that would be awesome. So we have Inspiration, Wellington and Kunde we have to hit. Maybe 1 more and then we can plan where to start, time and where to end up?

If we're going out towards Santa rosa anyway I'd vote for either the place that sells Estrella? Or whatever, I still haven't tried any, just keep hearing how good it is.

Did anyone email supersonoman? He's out that way as well.

CT

tenuki

ajrod27 wrote:Imagery - $25-$65 - Tasting $10
Paridise Ridege - $22-$65 - Tasting $10 (waived with purchase)
Enkidu - $20-$45 - Tasting $10 (waived with purchase)
Luxton - $16-$35 - Tasting (no pricing online)

We've had enkidu 3 or 4 times at the eighth street open house thing. They've never really stood out to me, but perhaps it's a function of the event. I've never really liked tin barn much
at the event either but they're one of my first stops if I have a small group in Sonoma.

CT

ajrod27

Here is a draft schedule, with Luxton as the selected option.

• (A.) Inspiration - 10:00am-11:30am

A to B = 13.9 miles ~28 minutes

• (B.) Kunde - 12:45pm-1:30pm

Lunch 1:30pm-2:25pm
    B to C = 1.7 miles ~3 minutes

• (C.) Luxton 2:30pm-3:25pm

C to D = 0.2 miles ~1 minutes

• (D.) Wellington 3:30pm-5:00pm

D to E = 2.2 miles ~5 minutes

• (E.) Fig Cafe

CAGrl

ajrod27 wrote:Here is a draft schedule, with Luxton as the selected option.

• (E.) Fig Cafe

Nice! Well, we should contact Chris and see about visiting his winery and see where Estrella is sold as well. And then we might actually be able to finalize everything. Kunde can really be something I can do to stop by and grab a bottle of wine especially if we get Chris to respond.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Nice! Well, we should contact Chris and see about visiting his winery and see where Estrella is sold as well. And then we might actually be able to finalize everything. Kunde can really be something I can do to stop by and grab a bottle of wine especially if we get Chris to respond.

Ah, I meant Esterlina, always forget the name, the place is Everett Ridge in Healdsburg though, so maybe too far. Maybe Iron Horse? I know you mentioned wanting to go back.

CT

tenuki

tenuki wrote:Ah, I meant Esterlina, always forget the name, the place is Everett Ridge in Healdsburg though, so maybe too far. Maybe Iron Horse? I know you mentioned wanting to go back.

Okay, looking at the proposed schedule more and the fact I probably wouldn't drive 2 hours to be somewhere at 10 a.m., maybe I'll just join y'all after lunch in Glen Ellen and I won't make suggestions towards Santa Rosa :p

CT

SonomaBouliste

otolith wrote:So what did you open on your Bday? A Scott Harvey?

Grenache. It seems a tad sacreligious to bring a non-Rhone to the fig cafe or the girl & the fig since their wine lists are all Rhone.

SonomaBouliste

ajrod27 wrote:Here is a draft schedule, with Luxton as the selected option.

• (E.) Fig Cafe

Do you know the date yet?

ajrod27

SonomaBouliste wrote:Do you know the date yet?

Saturday, September 29th.

tenuki

ajrod27 wrote:Saturday, September 29th.

Still undecided if 29th or Sunday the 30th I think.

CT

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

If you go just a big farther south you could drop in at Jacuzzi Family Of course that almost reminds me of the first time my wife drew out a map of wineries she wanted to visit. I think she had something like 20 on the list for the first day. =:0

CAGrl

So Saturday or Sunday? Let's decide on that first. Which day is better for people. Maybe we can also figure out a carpool for people heading up from the south bay?

bsevern

webdev511 wrote:If you go just a big farther south you could drop in at Jacuzzi Family Of course that almost reminds me of the first time my wife drew out a map of wineries she wanted to visit. I think she had something like 20 on the list for the first day. =:0

Jucuzzi (Italian style wines) is also across from Cline (French style wines). I believe their both owned by the same family.

bsevern

CAGrl wrote:So Saturday or Sunday? Let's decide on that first. Which day is better for people. Maybe we can also figure out a carpool for people heading up from the south bay?

I'll vote for Saturday