Raised by Wolves Columbia Valley 2010 Malbec 2-Pack
$49.99 (Normally $78.00) 36% off List Price
2010 Elevage Wine Company, “Raised by Wolves” Columbia Valley, Malbec
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

justinacton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justinacton

Um.... Gonna need some input on a $27 malbec. Anyone??

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

The CS was well-liked by all. I'd imagine the Malbec will be the same quality.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Mishko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mishko
kylemittskus wrote:The CS was well-liked by all. I'd imagine the Malbec will be the same quality.

This.

Because the previous Raised by Wolves offer(s) were so tasty I'm buying this (x2) without need for notes, ratings, comments, etc.

raisedbywolves

quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves

If you loved the Cab, this my friends will blow you away. I was skeptical blending my 2nd Malbec ever and was blown away with the results. Any questions please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

I have had numerous Malbec's that I did not care for and had nearly written the varietal off as not for me but I had an 08' Luca Malbec from Argentina that was absolutely delicious and it now makes me interested again. The line limit was $20 shipped on a malbec though so this is an easy pass regardless of quality.

Edit: the description makes the wine sound truly delicious. What's the % alcohol?

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
raisedbywolves wrote:If you loved the Cab, this my friends will blow you away. I was skeptical blending my 2nd Malbec ever and was blown away with the results. Any questions please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

Still have 10 RBW Cabs from the case I bought June 8th, finished one off last night, next to Rockus Bockus my favorite WW Wine, I Like Malbec, with the price on a unknown I'm on the fence here,

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
cortot20 wrote:I have had numerous Malbec's that I did not care for and had nearly written the varietal off as not for me but I had an 08' Luca Malbec from Argentina that was absolutely delicious and it now makes me interested again. The line limit was $20 shipped on a malbec though so this is an easy pass regardless of quality.

IMO, Malbec has become the new Shiraz. There are lots of wines in the $10 +/- $5 range that are overworked and underdeliver. A few $$$ higher there tend to be the oaky, extracted and slightly raisiny wines that meet the popular definition of 'riserva' juice.

I guess I don't blame Malbec itself, but rather the producers for pandering to the perceived market. One that's outside the mold is Bodega Weinert--it's very old school in style. I'd be fairly confident that the Malbec offered here also comes down to house style.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
gcdyersb wrote:IMO, Malbec has become the new Shiraz. There are lots of wines in the $10 +/- $5 range that are overworked and underdeliver. A few $$$ higher there tend to be the oaky, extracted and slightly raisiny wines that meet the popular definition of 'riserva' juice.

I guess I don't blame Malbec itself, but rather the producers for pandering to the perceived market. ....

True, dat! Without something new to sell, a certain class of winery/winemaker have to actually think about how they make wine and wine writers/publications might approach wine with a view to long-term quality rather than novelty....

[NB - I don't know this winery/winemaker, so I cast no aspersions here, this is a generalization subject, as are all such, to exceptions.]

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I'm almost certain this was at WD's RPM tour party. Did anyone happen to try it?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
gcdyersb wrote:IMO, Malbec has become the new Shiraz. There are lots of wines in the $10 +/- $5 range that are overworked and underdeliver. A few $$$ higher there tend to be the oaky, extracted and slightly raisiny wines that meet the popular definition of 'riserva' juice.

I guess I don't blame Malbec itself, but rather the producers for pandering to the perceived market. One that's outside the mold is Bodega Weinert--it's very old school in style. I'd be fairly confident that the Malbec offered here also comes down to house style.

That's exactly how I feel. I know Malbec is a very hot grape, but so often it's flabby, oaky fruit to me. That said, I am very interested in it in the hands of a vintner like this, and from the PAC NW instead of South America.

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp

I just received my Wellington Syrah order from the woot off and it is cooked. Both bottles leaked. When I check the shipping FAQ there is a reference to the wizardry of the shippers and I was instructed to just chill. I got a hot shipment last summer, but the wine showed no signs of damage. Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a box to check to hold shipments until the weather cools? Boiled wine makes me so sad. It also makes me nervous to think that I have six bottle of Meeker bubbling somewhere on a truck. I'm sure I will be made whole in some way, so this isn't a disaster, but unless wine woot is here to solve storage problems at wineries (while adding to mine) this doesn't make any sense.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jonahp wrote:I just received my Wellington Syrah order from the woot off and it is cooked. Both bottles leaked. When I check the shipping FAQ there is a reference to the wizardry of the shippers and I was instructed to just chill. I got a hot shipment last summer, but the wine showed no signs of damage. Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a box to check to hold shipments until the weather cools? Boiled wine makes me so sad. It also makes me nervous to think that I have six bottle of Meeker bubbling somewhere on a truck. I'm sure I will be made whole in some way, so this isn't a disaster, but unless wine woot is here to solve storage problems at wineries (while adding to mine) this doesn't make any sense.

Hiya, please contact service@woot.com

I'm just hanging out, really.

cortot20

Maybe some of the folks who enjoyed the RbW cab can chime in on the style of that wine as it should prove similar to this wine.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

jonahp wrote:I just received my Wellington Syrah order from the woot off and it is cooked. Both bottles leaked. When I check the shipping FAQ there is a reference to the wizardry of the shippers and I was instructed to just chill. I got a hot shipment last summer, but the wine showed no signs of damage. Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a box to check to hold shipments until the weather cools? Boiled wine makes me so sad. It also makes me nervous to think that I have six bottle of Meeker bubbling somewhere on a truck. I'm sure I will be made whole in some way, so this isn't a disaster, but unless wine woot is here to solve storage problems at wineries (while adding to mine) this doesn't make any sense.

HI, sorry about this. We did have small batch of wines, due to a warehouse sort error, miss the cold truck and go straight ground. we think it's a small amount effected.

Meeker will not have the same trevails..

but for sure, contact service@woot for a replacement.

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp
Winedavid39 wrote:HI, sorry about this. We did have small batch of wines, due to a warehouse sort error, miss the cold truck and go straight ground. we think it's a small amount effected.

I sent an email to rma@woot. Should I resend to service@woot?

Thank you for the response.

kylemittskus

jonahp wrote:I sent an email to rma@woot. Should I resend to service@woot?

Thank you for the response.

Yes. Service@woot.com.

cortot20

It nots an option probably due to storage space, but I would contact service@woot.com for a replacement. If its the two bottles I am thinking of, then I shed a tear since they are both wonderful.

CT

mattneumeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattneumeyer
Winedavid39 wrote:HI, sorry about this. We did have small batch of wines, due to a warehouse sort error, miss the cold truck and go straight ground. we think it's a small amount effected.

How do we know if we were one of those in the small batch? My "stuff you bought" says my Wellington is awaiting shipping, but it just arrived. I don't have any bottle leakage, but I'd hate to have two cooked bottles on my hands.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mattneumeyer wrote:How do we know if we were one of those in the small batch? My "stuff you bought" says my Wellington is awaiting shipping, but it just arrived. I don't have any bottle leakage, but I'd hate to have two cooked bottles on my hands.

if your first fedex "scan" was in the midwest, you are fine. if it shows scans starting in CA then you may have an issue. you can PM me if you want to dig deeper on this.

thanks,

FredFairOaks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FredFairOaks

Hi WOOT, (WineDavid)
Holding the wine for a few weeks sounds like a great idea if the wineries could wait for cooler weather. I am in Sacramento with a current hot spell over 100 and even being within a couple of hours of Napa, the possibilities of heat damaged are scary.

raisedbywolves

I am going to partially agree with you. Malbec is trending right now because it is relatively new to Washington. We have found that Malbec in Washington is as bold and full bodied as a Washington Cab. This RBW Malbec will not disappoint, I can assure you.

mmccull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmccull
raisedbywolves wrote:I am going to partially agree with you. Malbec is trending right now because it is relatively new to Washington. We have found that Malbec in Washington is as bold and full bodied as a Washington Cab. This RBW Malbec will not disappoint, I can assure you.

How does this compare with Argentinian Malbecs? Does it have the same spicy notes?

I really like your Cab, the evolution of flavors during a mouthful is particularly enjoyable. Would you say this wine has a similar oakiness? What percentage of new oak did you use? Do you taste any vanilla coming through on this wine?

Thanks.

mm

raisedbywolves

It has a touch of spice and a full body almost velvety mouth feel. 20% new oak.

mmccull wrote:How does this compare with Argentinian Malbecs? Does it have the same spicy notes?

I really like your Cab, the evolution of flavors during a mouthful is particularly enjoyable. Would you say this wine has a similar oakiness? What percentage of new oak did you use? Do you taste any vanilla coming through on this wine?

Thanks.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

redwinefan wrote:I'm almost certain this was at WD's RPM tour party. Did anyone happen to try it?

It was... and I sadly didn't take notes; but it was a good pair for the tri-tip, I remember that. RBW reds have been popular around here...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu
dah7m wrote:I know Malbec is a very hot grape, but so often it's flabby, oaky fruit to me.

I've heard wines referred to as "flabby" before, but don't really know what that means. Can you expand on this?

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
raisedbywolves wrote:It has a touch of spice and a full body almost velvety mouth feel. 20% new oak.

A couple years back I had the opportunity to taste the Malbec made by Spangler (umpqua), which was one of the best I have ever had. Are you familiar with that wine? Compare/contrast? I would have bought a case if they had let me. Alas, only for wine club...

I know it's a longshot, but worth a try.

raisedbywolves

Patrick does a nice job down there with Oregon Bordeaux varietals. Unfortunately, I haven't tried his Malbec.

trifecta wrote:A couple years back I had the opportunity to taste the Malbec made by Spangler (umpqua), which was one of the best I have ever had. Are you familiar with that wine? Compare/contrast? I would have bought a case if they had let me. Alas, only for wine club...

I know it's a longshot, but worth a try.

kylemittskus

loreelu wrote:I've heard wines referred to as "flabby" before, but don't really know what that means. Can you expand on this?

Lacks structure or acidity. The wine has no bite, no oomph, no backbone.

cabernetlover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cabernetlover

I just received my Malbec last week and enjoyed both bottles on Saturday. YUM! I hope Winewoot runs it again. Auto buy!

tricklosan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tricklosan

I have yet to receive mine.
Should I be concerned or do wine purchases take long?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tricklosan wrote:I have yet to receive mine.
Should I be concerned or do wine purchases take long?

Go ahead and email service@woot.com so they can look into it for you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items