hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Theme Favorite Wines

Date: September 29th
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Host: hershelk


After the wild and ruckus #26 I thought we could try to get one more tasting in during pool season. We are starting a little earlier because of the availability of the pool and patio, but not so early that people are drinking all afternoon as well as evening. We can start tasting and plan on grilling something around 6.

For the theme "Favorite Wines", just bring a bottle of wine you know and love. It can be expensive or it can be something cheap that you buy by the caseload as a house wine. Just a wine you already know and enjoy.

Coming
hershelk - Crios Torrontes or whatever seems right at the time; grilled lamb, potatoes and asparagus
cjsiege - 2003 Robert Pecota Kara's Vineyard CSand maybe the 2010 Keswick Vineyards Lake Effect Syrah
mstein609 - Bread and Pie and ? (vote below)
wkdpanda
InShadows - Barrel Oak Viognier and chicken sausage
hershelk (+1) - Stinson Vineyards Petit Manseng dessert wine (VA)
hershelk (+1)
hershelk (+2)

Maybe
sukeiasa
amreli
amreli hubby

Not This TIme
kkv123

CT

mstein609


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
hershelk wrote:Theme TBD

I could hold it on Sept. 8th or 29th. Any preferences?

Also we could use a theme. Maybe a specific region or favorite fall wines. Let me know your thoughts.



I would prefer the 29th.

For the theme, I'm going to repeat a suggestion I made at the last one: "They Made That WHERE?" We all know it's easy to get a nice bottle from France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Spain, Portugal, California, Washington, Oregon, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Chile, or South Africa. But how about a Syrah from the Snake River Valley in Idaho? Mexican Merlot? Thai Temperanillo? Canadian Cabernet? They all exist. Or, as an alternative, a "renegade" varietal for a wine region not well-known for that variety. Perhaps a German Pinot Noir, or a Loire Valley Chardonnay.

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

I would vote for the 29th, just because I am at the beach on the 8th!

Hmmm, not sure about odd wines idea. It would have to be something the person bringing it has drank, and liked. Otherwise, we could end up with some really "interesting" bottles.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

As it stands now, I'm good with either day.

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

OK, I officially call it for September 29th. There hasn't been a lot of input, but since the 8th is coming awfully quickly, the 29th seems like a better idea.

We still need a theme. How about "favorite wines." People can just bring a bottle of wine they know and love. Could be expensive or it can be something cheap that they buy by the caseload as a house wine. Just a wine they already know they enjoy. I was also thinking about starting around 5. A little earlier cause of the availability of the pool and patio, but not so early that people are drinking all afternoon as well as evening. We can start tasting and plan on grilling something around 6.

Please, any comments?

CT

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
hershelk wrote:OK, I officially call it for September 29th. There hasn't been a lot of input, but since the 8th is coming awfully quickly, the 29th seems like a better idea.

We still need a theme. How about "favorite wines." People can just bring a bottle of wine they know and love. Could be expensive or it can be something cheap that they buy by the caseload as a house wine. Just a wine they already know they enjoy. I was also thinking about starting around 5. A little earlier cause of the availability of the pool and patio, but not so early that people are drinking all afternoon as well as evening. We can start tasting and plan on grilling something around 6.

Please, any comments?



Sounds easy and beautiful! Brilliant!

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Went with the 29th and Favorite Wines theme (seemed easy). We can do the more ambitious "It came from Where?" possibly this winter when there is more forum participation.

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mstein609 wrote:...But how about a Syrah from the Snake River Valley in Idaho? ...Perhaps a German Pinot Noir...



3 wishes:
1) I wish we could get to this event, but I'm already double-booked that day. And I'll be spending most of it in my tux.
2) Wish I could remember the winery in the Snake River Valley that made the terrific Viognier one of my friends sent me last year while he was doing grad work at Boise State. Over the top floral on the nose, possibly the nicest Viognier I ever had. Perfect with my grilled sea scallops stuffed with basil, garlic, and a hint of lavender oil.
3) Wish I'd been able to grab the German PN when Last Bottle had it a while back. Would have, but it was already gone when I spotted it.

Have a great time. We'll get there some day, especially now that we have a third reason to pay a return visit.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
ddeuddeg wrote:3 wishes:

3) Wish I'd been able to grab the German PN when Last Bottle had it a while back. Would have, but it was already gone when I spotted it.



Had a German (Alsace?) PN a few weeks ago. Had some odd notes, and possibly incomplete malolactic fermentation that made the tongue funky. Not a fan.

That said - that was just one example, and there might be good ones out there.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i should be around that weekend... if i'm in the dmv i'm definitely up for it!!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

mstein609


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
ddeuddeg wrote:
2) Wish I could remember the winery in the Snake River Valley that made the terrific Viognier one of my friends sent me last year while he was doing grad work at Boise State. Over the top floral on the nose, possibly the nicest Viognier I ever had. Perfect with my grilled sea scallops stuffed with basil, garlic, and a hint of lavender oil.



Might be Sawtooth, which is the Syrah I was thinking of in my post. They make a Viognier as well.

I plan to come; don't yet know about a +1. Right now I'm thinking about a Stolpman Syrah. (Which one, I'll probably decide at the last minute.)

amreli


quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Hubby and I are actually a maybe. Newest parasite is on the outside now (yay!) but that means we have to find childcare for 2....


cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

*bump*

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Time is getting closer. Anyone know what they would like to bring wine or food. I will be traveling so I will have noting too fancy for food. Maybe some sausages to grill. Possibly some jerk chicken wings.

CT

Alaska1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Wish we could be there again. Have fun guys!! Post lots of pics!

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
Alaska1 wrote:Wish we could be there again. Have fun guys!! Post lots of pics!



Too bad you can't. We would like to see you guys again some day.

It is time for people to let me know what they plan to bring wine-wise and if they would like to bring any food. All is welcome.

CT

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I'll be bringing a bottle of Barrel Oak Viognier and some chicken sausage as my food contribution.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

otolith has gifted us a 2003 Robert Pecota Kara's Vineyard CS. I'll be sure to bring it up with me.

I'm still deciding what I will bring, but I'm leaning toward the 2010 Keswick Vineyards Lake Effect Syrah.

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

If anyoone needs directions, just PM me. If there are any new potential attendees out there thinking about joining in on the conversation. Please join us.

CT

mstein609


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I'll bring baked goods (pie + bread).

On the liquid side, since it's election season, I'm going to let the people decide! I'll bring the following candidates:

- Stoplman Originals Syrah 2009
- Tor Cuvee Susan 2007
- Havens Bourriquot 2005
- Xavier Chateauneuf du Pape 2007

We can have a primary, and a runoff between the top two vote-getters (unless one candidate gets a clear majority in the primary).

I hope we can keep _this_ election free of attack ads and billionaire-funded super-PACs.

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
mstein609 wrote:
- Stoplman Originals Syrah 2009
- Tor Cuvee Susan 2007
- Havens Bourriquot 2005
- Xavier Chateauneuf du Pape 2007



I don't know enough about any of these wines to make a truly informed vote, but I always like a good Chateauneuf du Pape.

CT

mstein609


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
hershelk wrote:I don't know enough about any of these wines to make a truly informed vote, but I always like a good Chateauneuf du Pape.



CT links:

Stolpman

Tor (Cab-Syrah blend)

Havens (Bordeaux blend)

Xavier CdP (Despite the CT drinking window opinions, I think it's drinking beautifully already.)

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
mstein609 wrote:...

Xavier CdP (Despite the CT drinking window opinions, I think it's drinking beautifully already.)


I'm a huge fan of CdP! The Xavier gets my vote!!!

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I have the Lake Effect. I also have a 2011 Cline Mourvedre Rose. It's all Rhone, all the time!!!

Still have no idea what I should bring for food. But I have 2 cans of crescent roll dough. That means "rolled up something-or-another with cheese in it"...

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I got some lamb to put on the grill along with some baby potatoes and asparagus. I also have some cucumber salad.

CT

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Might be a few minutes late. My +1 just got off work, and needs to clean up.

Bringing a Wellington 05 Victory and an aged Cab Sauv. that I picked up on tour this summer.

E. will be contributing an asiago demi loaf and pastry ring from Panera.

-Andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Thank you, thank you, thank you, hershelk!!! Such an outstanding good time. We need to take up a propane collection for the fire pit.

All of the wines were so good last. And it was such a great mix of whites (saying farewel to summer) and reds (hello to autumn).

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
cjsiege wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you, hershelk!!! Such an outstanding good time. We need to take up a propane collection for the fire pit.



It turns out the propane tank was still half full. With the new tank, the valve was a little sticky and when the pressure got lower in the tank it closed. I really just needed to tighten the attached hose. Oh well. Live and learn. Both tanks are full again.

CT

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Join Us for an Evening of Friends, Fun, and, of course, Great Wines!

Great Wines Returns!

Join the Washington Wine Academy for the 17th version of our Great Wines series.

How to participate:
It's simple. Just register on our website and bring a bottle of vino to share... we'll have the glasses, food & fun ready to go.

Details:
When you arrive our volunteers will take your bottle and give you a glass for the evening (don't keep it - we'll need 'em for future Great Wines events).

We'll have various tasting stations set up throughout the room and our volunteer sommeliers will switch out the selections available at each station throughout the evening so you'll have a constantly shifting variety to choose from.

We'll serve a buffet of light appetizers to go with the wine offerings, and your admission includes entry into the hourly door prize drawings.


Cost:
$13.50 + one bottle of wine (per person)
Your wine must be worth more than $10... sorry, no Two Buck Chuck or Barefoot allowed at this party!

Registration:
Advance registration is required. We will NOT ACCEPT payments at the door. Please bring a valid ID to the event.

Other Details:
-- Street parking is available

-- The Crystal City Wine Shop is located in the building so if you forget your bottle, they've got you covered!

-- Dress Code: Party Casual

WHEN:
Friday, Nov 2th
7-10 p.m.

WHERE:
Lenox Club Party Room
401 12th St S.
Arlington, VA 22202

3 blocks from the Pentagon City Metro

What Wine Should You Bring?

To ensure a broad spectrum of wines, we suggest if your last name begins with the letters A-M bring a Red, N-Z bring a White.

Confused? Bring a Rose.

Register Here

Some of you might be interested in going to this event.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

interesting.... what are you bringing?? and how is value of wine determined??

InShadows wrote:Join Us for an Evening of Friends, Fun, and, of course, Great Wines!

Great Wines Returns!

Join the Washington Wine Academy for the 17th version of our Great Wines series.

How to participate:
It's simple. Just register on our website and bring a bottle of vino to share... we'll have the glasses, food & fun ready to go.

Details:
When you arrive our volunteers will take your bottle and give you a glass for the evening (don't keep it - we'll need 'em for future Great Wines events).

We'll have various tasting stations set up throughout the room and our volunteer sommeliers will switch out the selections available at each station throughout the evening so you'll have a constantly shifting variety to choose from.

We'll serve a buffet of light appetizers to go with the wine offerings, and your admission includes entry into the hourly door prize drawings.


Cost:
$13.50 + one bottle of wine (per person)
Your wine must be worth more than $10... sorry, no Two Buck Chuck or Barefoot allowed at this party!

Registration:
Advance registration is required. We will NOT ACCEPT payments at the door. Please bring a valid ID to the event.

Other Details:
-- Street parking is available

-- The Crystal City Wine Shop is located in the building so if you forget your bottle, they've got you covered!

-- Dress Code: Party Casual

WHEN:
Friday, Nov 2th
7-10 p.m.

WHERE:
Lenox Club Party Room
401 12th St S.
Arlington, VA 22202

3 blocks from the Pentagon City Metro

What Wine Should You Bring?

To ensure a broad spectrum of wines, we suggest if your last name begins with the letters A-M bring a Red, N-Z bring a White.

Confused? Bring a Rose.

Register Here

Some of you might be interested in going to this event.



wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
sukeiasa wrote:interesting.... what are you bringing?? and how is value of wine determined??



I'm not going. I have an exam the next day that I should cram for the night before. Just giving out something to do around the area. Since I've never been I don't know and I have my apprehensions about something like this. If I were going I would bring a wine of value no more than $20.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

I'm on my way there... Brining a bottle of 06 meeker ps and a bottle of 08 meeker ps... Along with a bottle of the orange muscat... All woot wines... And I believe all were at least $10 on woot...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i have to say that woot wines were by far the most interesting at last night's event... :P

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

aranderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson
sukeiasa wrote:i have to say that woot wines were by far the most interesting at last night's event... :P



I would 100% agree with this statement. I am sad I missed the orange muscat though.

CT