chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Daughter has a soccer game, then we're headed to her close friend's birthday party. Hope to make it to the next one, though.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
chukon99 wrote:Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Daughter has a soccer game, then we're headed to her close friend's birthday party. Hope to make it to the next one, though.

Thanks for responding...maybe next time.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Hey guys-just wanted to give a heads up to anyone planning on taking the train. There is a 12:40 out of Union Station that gets you into Downers Grove at 1:25. The return trip is a little tricky. There is a 4:45 and a 6:45 departure. I do need to drop anyone off the latest by 5:30, if you don't mind hanging around Downtown Downers Grove for a bit we can shoot for the later, but I'm open. If anyone is planning on the train, please PM me and I'll send you my cell number.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99
funbunny wrote:if you don't mind hanging around Downtown Downers Grove for a bit we can shoot for the later

Just to put my 2 cents in, if you're looking for something to do in downtown Downers, I heartily recommend the following establishments:

Borrowed Earth Cafe: Who knew raw vegan food could be so good? And that's coming from a dedicated carnivore!

Ballydoyle Irish Pub: Good selection of beer, whiskey, and some decent food.

Emmett's Ale House: Decent beers, not as much fun as Ballydoyle and a bit pricier. Most of the time, it's our fallback if the pub is too crowded.

There's also a Caribou Coffee and Starbucks near the tracks.

jmdavidson

chukon99 wrote:Just to put my 2 cents in, if you're looking for something to do in downtown Downers, I heartily recommend the following establishments:

Borrowed Earth Cafe: Who knew raw vegan food could be so good? And that's coming from a dedicated carnivore!

Emmett's Ale House: Decent beers, not as much fun as Ballydoyle and a bit pricier. Most of the time, it's our fallback if the pub is too crowded.

Thanks for your Downers Grove suggestions. I am still holding out hope that a few more will be attending. (???)

funbunny

chukon99 wrote:Just to put my 2 cents in, if you're looking for something to do in downtown Downers, I heartily recommend the following establishments:

There is enough to keep someone busy for an hour down there. Lemon Tree Grocer right across from the station has a little outdoor cafe and wine bar (if you still need a vino fix).

jmdavidson

Looks like nice weather for Saturday, 66 and pc. Any new yes's for the Wine Woot?

tauwillow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tauwillow

Just saw this thread! I would love to attend if I'm not too late.

I think the weekend is clear - I just need to talk it over with my husband to be able to give a firm yes. So put me in the maybe column for now.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Looks like it will be just me attending. My +1 has to work Saturday.

Can those that are attending chime in with what they are bringing wine and appetizer wise? I haven't nailed down what I am bringing yet but others choices may steer me in a particular direction.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

jmdavidson

tauwillow wrote:Just saw this thread! I would love to attend if I'm not too late.

I think the weekend is clear - I just need to talk it over with my husband to be able to give a firm yes. So put me in the maybe column for now.

It is not too late to attend. Please feel free to bring friends with as well.

funbunny

tommythecat78 wrote:Looks like it will be just me attending. My +1 has to work Saturday.

Can those that are attending chime in with what they are bringing wine and appetizer wise? I haven't nailed down what I am bringing yet but others choices may steer me in a particular direction.

I'm bringing tomato and onion galettes and all pairing suggestions point to a Sauvignon Blanc. I was going to bring a bottle of Galante Vineyards that I had bought back in June unless everyone is a red wine drinker. If so, I'll bring a Pinot.

jmdavidson

funbunny wrote:I'm bringing tomato and onion galettes and all pairing suggestions point to a Sauvignon Blanc. I was going to bring a bottle of Galante Vineyards that I had bought back in June unless everyone is a red wine drinker. If so, I'll bring a Pinot.

As the host/hostess for this event, we were waiting to see what developed and figured we would fill in the blanks for wine pairing foods. However, we will have mini-meatballs, some type of pasta (like tortellini), bread and who knows what else at this point.

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:As the host/hostess for this event, we were waiting to see what developed and figured we would fill in the blanks for wine pairing foods. However, we will have mini-meatballs, some type of pasta (like tortellini), bread and who knows what else at this point.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll bring (depends on what looks good at the store on Friday). I am leaning towards something caprese-like and maybe some "winey brownies"...

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson

With the event only two days away, can the "maybe's" and the "need rides" check in and update their status? Thank you.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Really really sorry, but I will have to cancel also. Was told a few minutes ago that I will be working this weekend also. I was looking forward to meeting some new local wooters and I hope another tasting will happen soon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

jmdavidson

Funbunny and karenhynes, please call me...you should have my number.

funbunny

tommythecat78 wrote:Really really sorry, but I will have to cancel also. Was told a few minutes ago that I will be working this weekend also. I was looking forward to meeting some new local wooters and I hope another tasting will happen soon.

Did it happen like this?

jmdavidson

Due to a lack of participants, the event tomorrow will have to be cancelled. My thanks to those that responded. Maybe, next time.

funbunny

jmdavidson wrote:Due to a lack of participants, the event tomorrow will have to be cancelled. My thanks to those that responded. Maybe, next time.

Thanks again for offering to host, it was a good effort put forth. Hopefully the troops will be willing to gather next time, we can't let those other states hold their successful gatherings over our heads.

karenhynes

jmdavidson wrote:Due to a lack of participants, the event tomorrow will have to be cancelled. My thanks to those that responded. Maybe, next time.

Awwwww bummer! I was looking forward to meeting some fellow wineaux wooters. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out in the future.

Thanks again, jmdavidson for offering to open your home to us all.

Karen

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

Don't give up! I think the first two Denver/Colorado gatherings were cancelled for the same reason.

Another suggestion that worked for us, schedule with a few of your non-woot friends and have an event. If any woot folks show up, it's a bonus, and at least gets the ball rolling!

jmdavidson

joelsisk wrote:Don't give up! I think the first two Denver/Colorado gatherings were cancelled for the same reason.

Another suggestion that worked for us, schedule with a few of your non-woot friends and have an event. If any woot folks show up, it's a bonus, and at least gets the ball rolling!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will plan a wine event, as you suggested, inviting mostly my friends and see what wine wooters show up.

karenhynes

joelsisk wrote:Don't give up! I think the first two Denver/Colorado gatherings were cancelled for the same reason.

That's a great idea.

Now with my day freed up tomorrow, I guess I'll have to go to the tasting at Mainstreet (Alternative Grapes: Find hidden treasures from these obscure varietals from around the world, to enjoy in the upcoming cooler months).

Bandagraph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bandagraph

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I just stumbled across this thread. We would be interested in any future meet ups. We live in Bucktown.

Cheers,

Jon and Seema

jmdavidson

Bandagraph wrote:Hi All,

My girlfriend and I just stumbled across this thread. We would be interested in any future meet ups. We live in Bucktown.

Cheers,

Jon and Seema

Sorry you stumbled in a lttle late. Last Friday we had a big get together. Hopefully, whoever decides to set up the next one, will try to reach out to you. Otherwise, keep following wine woot.