jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

We just got back from the 2012 RPM Magical History Tour (Newbie Tour) and have decided to take the plunge and host a Wine Woot Get Together. Based on suggestions from the other Tour attendees, they suggested that we set up a date and go with it. Seems that if we put out too many options, there are always those who can make one date and not another. It's the old, you can please some of the people...So, the date is Saturday, September 22 at 2pm. We live in Lemont. Send me a PM for our address and contact info. While we will provide some appetizers and wine, it would be helpful if everyone brought an appetizer and a bottle of wine. Let me know if you plan on attending and I will try to update the listing.

Attending:
jmdavidson
jmdavidson+1
funbunny
funbunny+1
karenhynes

Maybe's:
saxwizerd45
saxwizerd45+1
burrnini
burrnini+.5
tauwillow

Needing a ride:
zoranda
forumc40
jkdaaa

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jmdavidson wrote:We just got back from the 2012 RPM Magical History Tour (Newbie Tour) and have decided to take the plunge and host a Wine Woot Get Together. Based on suggestions from the other Tour attendees, they suggested that we set up a date and go with it. Seems that if we put out too many options, there are always those who can make one date and not another. It's the old, you can please some of the people...So, the date is Saturday, September 22 at 2pm. We live in Lemont. Send me a PM for our address and contact info. While we will provide some appetizers and wine, it would be helpful if everyone brought an appetizer and a bottle of wine. Let me know if you plan on attending and I will try to update the listing.

Attending:
jmdavidson
jmdavidson+1



I doubt I could make this one, since we will be in Chicago in a couple weeks, but will definitely keep an eye out for future gatheringss, we are over in Toledo, OH, so it's not too bad of a drive. Always worth it for wine!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

Hi jmdavidson!

I'd love to join in on the fun and will do everything possible to clear that day. I'll have to confirm in a few weeks though, as I may have a work-related commitment...I don't know for sure just yet. I'm happy to bring watever is needed. I may even have a few bottles of wine squirreled away around here somewhere....

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

Since posting the original announcement a couple of days ago, I have had only one person show any interest in this get together. I reviewed the old posting of a Chicago/Lake County interest thread and noticed about thirty wooters who said they would be interested in meeting. So, I sent out PM's to each one of them. Thusfar, one person has shown interest. Does this mean that there is no interest? Or does this mean that those who were on the boards within the last two years are no longer on them? Sign me...bewildered.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jmdavidson wrote:Since posting the original announcement a couple of days ago, I have had only one person show any interest in this get together. I reviewed the old posting of a Chicago/Lake County interest thread and noticed about thirty wooters who said they would be interested in meeting. So, I sent out PM's to each one of them. Thusfar, one person has shown interest. Does this mean that there is no interest? Or does this mean that those who were on the boards within the last two years are no longer on them? Sign me...bewildered.


They may not check in very often, it is summer and all. Wishing you continued luck in your efforts!

I'm just hanging out, really.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jmdavidson wrote:Since posting the original announcement a couple of days ago, I have had only one person show any interest in this get together. I reviewed the old posting of a Chicago/Lake County interest thread and noticed about thirty wooters who said they would be interested in meeting. So, I sent out PM's to each one of them. Thusfar, one person has shown interest. Does this mean that there is no interest? Or does this mean that those who were on the boards within the last two years are no longer on them? Sign me...bewildered.



There are some that drop off for a year or so. We also lost some due to "the troubles".

And as Inky puts it, it is summer, and there is a lot going on.

TommyTheCat and lauratchi are active at times, so keep the faith.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Would love to make it at least for a couple hours. Replied to your PM with more details.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Thanks for the PM...I probably would have missed this otherwise. Put me down in the maybe column. I would say definite yes but I won't know until closer to the date. I live in Homer Glen (was in Lemont until a couple of weeks ago) so I am only a few minutes away. It would be me and my +1 attending.

Also, any type of theme for the tasting?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Oh, and if you have any questions, look in the Wine.Woot Tastings: Your one-stop destination for past tastings thread.

It has links to previous WW gatherings (including some Chicago ones!), and can give you ideas.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chukon99


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

C'mon everyone! I'll have an easier time convincing my wife to let me drive in for this if it looks like there will be a decent turn out. I missed out on the tour, but would love to connect with some fellow wooters.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

We'd be happy to drive in from Buffalo, but we're already committed for that weekend. We've been keeping an eye out for a Chicago event, and we know the frustration of trying to get something to happen. Try to keep the faith, go ahead with this one, and hope for things to grow, either this time or the next.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

saxwizerd45


quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45

I also would have missed this thread were it not for the PM, so good idea!

We're no longer in the Chicago area (now live in Rock Island, IL) but it's an easy drive from where we're at. I'd say mrs. saxwizerd45 and I are in the "maybe" category. We have some scheduling things to iron out...

I'm one of those folks in MarkDaSpark's "disappear for a whole year" category, but I even browsed a few other threads today! Getting back in the wine.woot saddle!

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Hi there, jmdavidson, and all. Got the PM and unfortunately since I live in the city and do not drive that location would not be possible. But I'll keep an eye out for any other events that happen closer to home. Cheers!

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
zorandra wrote:Hi there, jmdavidson, and all. Got the PM and unfortunately since I live in the city and do not drive that location would not be possible. But I'll keep an eye out for any other events that happen closer to home. Cheers!



If you know someone who does drive, maybe you can talk them into accompanying you. Or, maybe someone else from Chicago will chime in and offer. Hope you can find a way to make it.

forumc40


quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40
jmdavidson wrote:If you know someone who does drive, maybe you can talk them into accompanying you. Or, maybe someone else from Chicago will chime in and offer. Hope you can find a way to make it.



I'm in the same boat. If anyone's driving from Chicago I'd be in!

Ain't easy...

burrnini


quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini

Put me down as maybe +1.5. It's been a while since we had one of these. I currently have that day off but that doesn't mean much this far out.

wkdpanda


quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Quick question - flying to Chicago tomorrow for an overnight work trip.

Suggestions on a good place to eat/drink? Probably staying somewhere near the airport (O'Hare).

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
wkdpanda wrote:Quick question - flying to Chicago tomorrow for an overnight work trip.

Suggestions on a good place to eat/drink? Probably staying somewhere near the airport (O'Hare).



See This Link

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

LSlipetz


quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
jmdavidson wrote:Since posting the original announcement a couple of days ago, I have had only one person show any interest in this get together. I reviewed the old posting of a Chicago/Lake County interest thread and noticed about thirty wooters who said they would be interested in meeting. So, I sent out PM's to each one of them. Thusfar, one person has shown interest. Does this mean that there is no interest? Or does this mean that those who were on the boards within the last two years are no longer on them? Sign me...bewildered.



Thanks for the PM, I too fall into the category of disappearing for the last year or so. Still buy my wine, just not time to chat. My wife and I had our first child within the last year so that has not been time for much else. I will have to check with my wife to see what we have going on for that date, but I would lean towards unlikely being able to attend at this point.

Thanks for taking the initiative and setting this up though. If I cant make this one, I hope to join one in the future.

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Hmmm.... 14 hour drive. Is that too far for wine?

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
LSlipetz wrote:Thanks for the PM, I too fall into the category of disappearing for the last year or so. Still buy my wine, just not time to chat. My wife and I had our first child within the last year so that has not been time for much else. I will have to check with my wife to see what we have going on for that date, but I would lean towards unlikely being able to attend at this point.

Thanks for taking the initiative and setting this up though. If I cant make this one, I hope to join one in the future.



Congratulations on the new baby. Having had two, who are now completely grown, I understand the difficulty in staying social. Please keep checking the thread to see if it materializes. So far, limited yes's. I think it's been over two year since the last one. If/when another happens is anyone's guess, which is why I was trying to revitalize this one.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
Itwdswafo wrote:Hmmm.... 14 hour drive. Is that too far for wine?



Not if you are sharing a certain magnum I think you bought on the RPM tour. Seriously, I am bummed on the lack of responsiveness. So, keep watching this thread to see if more wine wooters chime in. Thanks for the BC wine tasting. Tracey was great, as were her wines.

jkdaaa


quality posts: 6 Private Messages jkdaaa
jmdavidson wrote:Not if you are sharing a certain magnum I think you bought on the RPM tour. Seriously, I am bummed on the lack of responsiveness. So, keep watching this thread to see if more wine wooters chime in. Thanks for the BC wine tasting. Tracey was great, as were her wines.



Thanks for the PM, I'd also disappeared for a while. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as two of the others - in the city, no car. Could we possibly arrange transportation to/from the Lemont Metra station? Either way, thanks for organizing this, and best of luck with the event.

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
jkdaaa wrote:Thanks for the PM, I'd also disappeared for a while. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as two of the others - in the city, no car. Could we possibly arrange transportation to/from the Lemont Metra station? Either way, thanks for organizing this, and best of luck with the event.



I don't think that line runs weekends. My day might be opening up a bit and if so, I will be able to attend a little longer than I first thought. If that is the case, I was going to offer to pick up/drop off a couple people at the Downers Grove Station on the Burlington line. I will hopefully know by Labor Day.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jkdaaa


quality posts: 6 Private Messages jkdaaa
funbunny wrote:I don't think that line runs weekends. My day might be opening up a bit and if so, I will be able to attend a little longer than I first thought. If that is the case, I was going to offer to pick up/drop off a couple people at the Downers Grove Station on the Burlington line. I will hopefully know by Labor Day.



It appears that you're right, was that always true? In any case, thanks, please do let me know if that's workable.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
jkdaaa wrote:It appears that you're right, was that always true? In any case, thanks, please do let me know if that's workable.



Unfortunately, there has never been a Chicago-Lemont train on the weekends. If funbunny is able to work out a pick up/drop off from the Downers Grove station, then some of the Chicago people might be able to work it out with her.

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Chicago Thread - meet Lake County Thread. Y'all might want to exchange some messages, pm's, etc.?

Have fun!

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Bump...

Right now it is looking good for us being there. Hope this happens!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
tommythecat78 wrote:Bump...

Right now it is looking good for us being there. Hope this happens!!



Moved you to "yes." Glad to see the yes list growing and hope it continues.

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

I'm moving closer to the "yes" column, too. I'll update again soon. I might bring a friend, if that's ok (you know we ladies never like to go anywhere alone!).

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
karenhynes wrote:I'm moving closer to the "yes" column, too. I'll update again soon. I might bring a friend, if that's ok (you know we ladies never like to go anywhere alone!).



Glad to hear you are inching to the yes column. By all means, bring a friend.

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

OK - My afternoon has opened up so I can Taxi a few from Downers Grove Station. I do however need to get home by 5:30ish to head to my parents' anniversary party, so we will need to leave about 5ish. I will look up train scheduals and give you guys some departure times. My car is a typical sedan (kia sephia to be exact, so don't get excited thinking you're traveling in luxury) and will fit three in the back comfortably, but four if you don't mind getting real squishy. Maybe we could get another local attendee to volenteer for more transportation if needed.

I'll post some times this week.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:OK - My afternoon has opened up so I can Taxi a few from Downers Grove Station. I do however need to get home by 5:30ish to head to my parents' anniversary party, so we will need to leave about 5ish. I will look up train scheduals and give you guys some departure times. My car is a typical sedan (kia sephia to be exact, so don't get excited thinking you're traveling in luxury) and will fit three in the back comfortably, but four if you don't mind getting real squishy. Maybe we could get another local attendee to volenteer for more transportation if needed.

I'll post some times this week.



FB, thanks for stepping up. Please let me know who will now be attending thanks to FB's taxi service. If you resend me an email, I will send you my address and phone number.

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:Glad to hear you are inching to the yes column. By all means, bring a friend.



Hi JMD-
I think I can safely move into the "yes" column!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
karenhynes wrote:Hi JMD-
I think I can safely move into the "yes" column!!



Moved you to the yes column and happy to do so. For you and any others, non-wine-wooters are welcome, too, so do not hesitate to bring friends.

lauratchi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
MarkDaSpark wrote:There are some that drop off for a year or so. We also lost some due to "the troubles".

And as Inky puts it, it is summer, and there is a lot going on.

TommyTheCat and lauratchi are active at times, so keep the faith.



I work a strange schedule and can rarely do a Saturday night. It's a profitable schedule tho, so not necessarily a bad thing.

Hope you have a good time !

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
lauratchi wrote:I work a strange schedule and can rarely do a Saturday night. It's a profitable schedule tho, so not necessarily a bad thing.

Hope you have a good time !



As a long time wooter and a member of the +100 club, I am sorry to see you won't be able to make it.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

With our get together less than two weeks away, I was hoping to firm up some of the maybe's and if's. Any change in your status?

karenhynes


quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

I'm still in...and very much looking forward to it!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

jmdavidson


quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
karenhynes wrote:I'm still in...and very much looking forward to it!!



Same here...Of course I always look forward to meeting new people and drinking wine.