polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
darlenee1 wrote:I love the Alchemist. Is Otter Creek up and running with food now? Harpoon makes a delicious beer called Chrystal Wheat that Steve buys up when it's available at the brewery. My favorite brewery to visit up there is Long Trail. I just love the vibe at that place. However, Burlington can't be beat for sheer volume and quality (lucky Corrado!). I'm hoping to head there in the near future, there's a new place called the Farmhouse I'd like to get to.

No food at Otter Creek. Get to Bobcat Cafe in Bristol. Great beer and better food. About 30-45 minutes outside of Burlington. Highly recommended.

Good luck at the Belgian beer tent next weekend. I really want to help pour sometime. But Caitie leaves to England on Sunday.

EDIT: Sparky!! Does he drink beer?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:No food at Otter Creek. Get to Bobcat Cafe in Bristol. Great beer and better food. About 30-45 minutes outside of Burlington. Highly recommended.

Good luck at the Belgian beer tent next weekend. I really want to help pour sometime. But Caitie leaves to England on Sunday.

EDIT: Sparky!! Does he drink beer?

No, but he has 25,000 bottles

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

Just bought a 12-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest -- my favorite of their beers. I paid a few more bucks than I would have at Costco, but I'm sick of waiting. I'll grab more when Costco gets their supply.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Just bought a 12-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest -- my favorite of their beers. I paid a few more bucks than I would have at Costco, but I'm sick of waiting. I'll grab more when Costco gets their supply.

I don't know what the costco price is but stater bros has it for $13.99.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:I don't know what the costco price is but stater bros has it for $13.99.

That's what I paid. Costco had a 24 pack for like $24 so a couple cents cheaper per bottle. No big deal.

kylemittskus

Drinking an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, watching the Chargers. Really aggressive beer. It would be delicious with a black and blue steak with Gorgonzola melted on top.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
kylemittskus wrote:Drinking an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, watching the Chargers. Really aggressive beer. It would be delicious with a black and blue steak with Gorgonzola melted on top.

I like everything North Coast brews. Pranqster is one of my favorite Belgian style Golden Ale that is not from Belgium.

Old #38 Stout is also a fantastic stout that clocks in at 5.4% vs. Old Rasputin's 9%. I'd also highly recommend picking up some Old Stock Ale. Try one now, and lay the rest down for at least a year. I like to do a vertical tasting of Old Stock Ale, as well as Trader Joe's Vintage Ale on Super Bowl Sunday. For my palate, the TJ's seems to peek around 3 years. I haven't been cellaring the Old Stock long enough to know, but I'm guessing it has an even longer shelf life.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03
kylemittskus wrote:Drinking an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, watching the Chargers. Really aggressive beer. It would be delicious with a black and blue steak with Gorgonzola melted on top.

This is a great beer and I also believe a bold steak would pair well with it. That is the type of beer that really improves as it warms up...the full flavor profile just isn't there right out of the fridge.

I went to the local Total Wine and got a bottle of Bltches Brew from Dogfish Head. I saw the discovery channel show on this beer and am excited it is available by me. Can't wait to try it tomorrow night.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
jcarlton03 wrote:This is a great beer and I also believe a bold steak would pair well with it. That is the type of beer that really improves as it warms up...the full flavor profile just isn't there right out of the fridge.

I went to the local Total Wine and got a bottle of Bltches Brew from Dogfish Head. I saw the discovery channel show on this beer and am excited it is available by me. Can't wait to try it tomorrow night.

I'm a fan of North Coast as well, particularly Pranqster and Old Rasputin. In a few weeks I'm heading down to DE and going to Dogfish Head brewery. My husband and I are attending the wedding of one of the brewers there Can you believe they actually get paid in beer? A free case every payday.

On another note, I tried Angry Orchard Strawman cider the other night. 750 ml corked bottle, drank like a french cider (reminded me of Domaine Dupont). Very nice, definitely a sipping cider (10% abv).I also have a ridiculous amount of Belgian brews on hand right now. We poured beer at a Belgian brewfest, and brought home the leftovers. Lots of Chimay, Rodenbach, Kwak, etc. All delicious, but sometimes my palate tires of the Belgian yeast profile.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

polarbear22

in England now. Great beers and ciders on tap. Wonderful time. And heading to a pub right now. Time for a pint before dinner.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Enjoyed my last bottle of Ballast Point's Victory at Sea last night, which is probably my favorite beer that isn't a super limited release.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea
jawlz wrote:Enjoyed my last bottle of Ballast Point's Victory at Sea last night, which is probably my favorite beer that isn't a super limited release.

Couldn't agree more. I get this anytime I find it on tap.

SmilingBoognish

darlenee1 wrote:All delicious, but sometimes my palate tires of the Belgian yeast profile.

I love Belgian Ale and agree 100%. They tend to be pretty strong in alcohol, as well, which doesn't work for me in some beer drinking scenarios.

darlenee1

SmilingBoognish wrote:I love Belgian Ale and agree 100%. They tend to be pretty strong in alcohol, as well, which doesn't work for me in some beer drinking scenarios.

Yeah, the alcohol content can be a little killer.

SmilingBoognish

darlenee1 wrote:Yeah, the alcohol content can be a little killer.

Particularly when you have a history of impersonating airplanes on the dance floor at a friend's wedding...hypothetically.

darlenee1

SmilingBoognish wrote:Particularly when you have a history of impersonating airplanes on the dance floor at a friend's wedding...hypothetically.

Yikes

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Tap Room No 21 Brewing Co - Moe's backroom amber ale. It's surprisingly sweet. Like, I wonder what they added to it... must have honey or somesuch added. Not great, but interesting, and a bit of a kick that you can't taste but can feel after a couple. Need to drink it with something that can cut the sweetness.

kylemittskus

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

This is the beer that put them on the map. $8.50-$9/4-pack. Not cheap, but really enjoyable. Rich, deep flavor. 7%+ alc. but you'd never know.

polarbear22

Going through a growler of Magic Hat Hex. Been here a little too long, but still good.

And Magic Hat Heart of Darkness is out again, after several years of not making it. Planning to pick me up a case.

My Cellar

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I am brewing some farce of a beer. My friend returned my equipment, along with to my surprise, some very old grain and yeast. I extracted (probably at the wrong temp because he didn't return my thermometer) the grain for a while and added a lot of malt. Trying to make up for a lack of hops, i added some rosemary and coffee before chilling.

Shortly after filling my plastic fermenter, the valve at the bottom started to leak. A quick trip to the brew store and auto siphon later, I moved the fermenting wort to a carboy. It's bubbling away. I expect it to be off but will bottle and drink sometime hence.

signed.