x98otto1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages x98otto1
tomnagy wrote:I don't like black olives, only the green ones.

What is the ratio of black to green??

If you are thinking "black olives from a can", then none. There are none of those. There are alot of kalamata, but i wouldnt call those black. I'd say all olives listed are pretty even in their ratio.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Good morning, Olive Lovers!

The word I've heard is:

Kosher = No

Gluten-Free = No info, sorry

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

morsmordre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages morsmordre

These are great! I'm in the too-salty crowd, so I scooped out olives with a mini-strainer and rinsed them with water before eating them. I ran out way before I thought I would, because when you have delicious olives on hand you want to use them for everything.

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin
x98otto1 wrote:If you are thinking "black olives from a can", then none. There are none of those. There are alot of kalamata, but i wouldnt call those black. I'd say all olives listed are pretty even in their ratio.

I was about to say the same thing. I did get a few ripened ones, but they weren't like black olives we normally get here in the US.

I'm not normally a fan of green olives, but the green ones in these jars were killer.

winecraft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winecraft

I was looking for more info on these and found a wine site that had more info on a similar looking product, Mani Greek Olive Review, not the exact same product but at least it's the same brand.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Mark them under $20 and I'm in.

iamwhoam2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamwhoam2003

The olives in this container are just shy of 4 pounds. At $22.96, that's $5.75 per pound. Plus shipping. If I want Greek olives, and I love them, for this price I'll buy at my local store.

globewalker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages globewalker

These are very good.. but are very salty as has been said.. and I like salt.
If you are using in a recipe or salad then probably ok.. but to just eat alone.. cannot take too many due to salt.. not sure I tried rinsing them - am out now.. on the fence..
The Pit-In version of these is less salty.
yes its a lot of olives... takes up room of a small pitcher in your fridge.. but sounds like that isn't necessary.
Can not at all be compared to the standard can or jar black and green olives you get in the grocery store..

shosh1978

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shosh1978
SargassoC wrote:I just checked my nearly-empty container. Nothing on the label suggests these are kosher.

thank you!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

We met Mani Terra on the rpm tour - great guy doing some great stuff with olives. We were tasting 45-50 olives that night, so my notes are a bit light:

Nose of green and black olives, nice full mouth feel and firm structure, salty but with a very nice earthiness. Very long finish. I would buy these at this price.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Jana and I love these. We use them when doing tasting as well. In for two, they won't last long.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Jana and I love these. We use them when doing tasting as well. In for two, they won't last long.

Wine tasting room secrets revealed!

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
soontekoh34 wrote:Anyone else frustrated with the comments of being frustrated that someone did not get their way? I have been waiting for a nice sweet/dessert wine and I have not seen one in some time. You don't see me complaining about it.

We've had 2 dessert wine offers in the past wee, one red and one white...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:We've had 2 dessert wine offers in the past wee, one red and one white...

Plus, Inky assured me that my suggestion of dessert wine Friday was going to be put in place pronto.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59
ThunderThighs wrote:Good morning, Olive Lovers!

The word I've heard is:

Kosher = No

Gluten-Free = No info, sorry

From a previous woot:

maniimports wrote:Hello, this is Mani Imports, thank you for trying our olives! Here is all the information:
-The nutritional info for a 0.5oz (14g)serving size is: Calories 40, Fat Cal: 35, Total Fat: 2.5g, Sat Fat 0g, Cholest 0mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carb 2g, Sugars 0mg, Trans Fat 0mg, Protein 0g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg. Not a significant source of fiber, vitamin A & C.
-They are not Kosher
-The olives do not need refrigeration after opening as long as they stay submerged in the brine with some olive oil and kept in a cool, dry place. We do recommend refrigeration for best results and a long lasting, superior tasting olive. They last approx a year.
-Gluten-free
If you have any other questions please let us know-Mani Imports

So they are gluten-free.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
North316 wrote:Plus, Inky assured me that my suggestion of dessert wine Friday was going to be put in place pronto.

Waaaaait a minute... I just pass these things along. I like to think I have influence (hey, wine staff, I really like this idea), but really, WineDavid is the guy you want to influence!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

inkycatz wrote:Waaaaait a minute... I just pass these things along. I like to think I have influence (hey, wine staff, I really like this idea), but really, WineDavid is the guy you want to influence!

duly noted !

atetra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atetra

Been waiting patiently for these to come around again. These are a great deal. I'm in for a jug. Thanks woot!

Quality Post? What's a Quality Post??

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
x98otto1 wrote:If i didnt just open the pit-in version i would totally be in. These are awesome.

Unfortunately, these don't measure up to the pit-in collection - at least, not for munching on. The pit-in style are naturally firmer and less salty because the brine only contacts the surface, not the inside as well. I missed the last offering, but I've been in for two (the max) twice before - and I'd jump right in again (are you listening, Woot?).

These are certainly good olives, and great for recipes. Just don't expect them to be the same as the pit-in.

subter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages subter

Cheaper on Amazon, especially with the subscribe and save. I know it's a different brand but I've had the Amazon ones and from everyone's description on here, they sound identical.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Pitted-Greek-Country-Weight/dp/B000UXW98S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1343931057&sr=8-5&keywords=roland+olives

rpstrong

subter wrote:Cheaper on Amazon, especially with the subscribe and save. I know it's a different brand but I've had the Amazon ones and from everyone's description on here, they sound identical.

The ingredient lists would suggest otherwise:

Roland brand: Greek Black Olives, Kalamata Olives, Green Olives, Water, Salt, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sweet Peppers, Garlic, Herbs & Spices.

This offering: Greek Olives (Kalamata, Nafplion, Amfissa Olives), Peppers, Oregano, Savory, Brine, Lemon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

There isn't a whole lot of oil in here, but it's EV Olive instead of regular olive and sunflower. And those little generic black olives aren't to be found.

Not to put the Rolands down, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to be at all the same.

macostaesquire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages macostaesquire
Slarti59 wrote:So they are gluten-free.

That is awesome - thank you!

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica

These are awesome. Salty and awesome. Don't worry about it being too much. You'll find new and interesting ways to use them as you search for any excuse to eat more.

North316

jeffandmonica wrote:These are awesome. Salty and awesome. Don't worry about it being too much. You'll find new and interesting ways to use them as you search for any excuse to eat more.

Like olive ice cream

My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
North316 wrote:Like olive ice cream

Hey, The Stinking Rose serves garlic ice cream that is interesting and tasty so I bet a good olive ice cream is doable.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

subter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages subter
rpstrong wrote:The ingredient lists would suggest otherwise:

Roland brand: Greek Black Olives, Kalamata Olives, Green Olives, Water, Salt, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sweet Peppers, Garlic, Herbs & Spices.

This offering: Greek Olives (Kalamata, Nafplion, Amfissa Olives), Peppers, Oregano, Savory, Brine, Lemon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

There isn't a whole lot of oil in here, but it's EV Olive instead of regular olive and sunflower. And those little generic black olives aren't to be found.

Not to put the Rolands down, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to be at all the same.

Yeah, I guess I didn't look closely at the ingredients list. The black olives in the Rolands were all mushy so I wouldn't personally get those again but this offering may be better.

North316

cmaldoon wrote:Hey, The Stinking Rose serves garlic ice cream that is interesting and tasty so I bet a good olive ice cream is doable.

Salty and Sweet, sounds good to me.

My CT

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Grrrr. All this talk just sucked me in. In for one

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

beckylage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beckylage

anyone have thoughts on use of these in a dirty martini?

rpstrong

beckylage wrote:anyone have thoughts on use of these in a dirty martini?

You might miss the pimento, but the brine would be good. Maybe top off the juice level in the martini olive jar?

mysterj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysterj

My first woot purchase. Can not wait to open and enjoy with a nice glass of red wine.....mmmmmm!

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I'm just not a big fan of Thursdays as far as wine.woot is concerned.

Frankly it's been a while since I have seen a wine I want but thats just me, saves me money.

Sunday would be better suited to stuff like this. JMHO.

sseatris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sseatris

Has anyone had these ship yet? I thought we'd at least seen some movement by now.

limarick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages limarick

My order status says "awaiting shipping" still. Certainly thought they'd be on the way by now. This was my first order from wine.woot since I live in a state that can't get wine shipped. Are all orders on this site so slow?

lnxpro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnxpro

wow. it's been 9 days and nothing. mine says awaiting shipping as well.
most of the times woot ships decently fast. faster since amazon bought them but this one seems to be taking excessively long. I do hope they ship this overnight to make up for the lost time. but yeah, so far they dropped the ball on this one. extremely dissapointed!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Howdy all! Shipments of product from wine.woot (even non-wine products) take about 2-3 weeks although some will ship faster.

From the FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lnxpro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lnxpro
ThunderThighs wrote:Howdy all! Shipments of product from wine.woot (even non-wine products) take about 2-3 weeks although some will ship faster.

From the FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

hmm... good to know so I won't order stuff from wine.woot in the future. thanks.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

The companies have to box and ship these themselves. It takes a while to get all the shipping/packing supplies and box and label everything by hand. Also this is probably a lot more volume (in terms of number of different places they have to ship) than they usually get all at once.

I mostly order non-wine stuff on wine.woot and it usually takes about a week to ship and then another week to get here.

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9

Hey check this out from FedEx tracking:

Shipment Facts Help
Service type FedEx Ground-U.S.
Weight 9.0 lbs/4.1 kg

And from Stuff I Bought/Order Details:

Your order: Imported Pitted Greek Olive Mix
Price Quantity Subtotal
$22.99 1 $22.99

...or 2.3 kg of shipping material?

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')

dburr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dburr

Just got my olives, and I must say, they are quite tasty. Some have said they are excessively salty, but I wouldn't say these are any saltier compared to other store-bought olive mixes.

If you're looking for ideas on things to do with these, here are two excellent recipes I've tried in the past (and loved).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tapenade-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/olive-loaf-recipe/index.html