redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

We had dinner at Texas French Bread tonight and discussed the plans for our Woot Gathering with them.

They asked me to see if anyone has any specific dietary restrictions, since to make things easier they'd like to come up with a Prix Fixe menu for our group. So, if you are a vegetarian, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has to drop out at the last minute, please try to tell me by this weekend so I can give the restaurant a heads up.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next week!

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

redwinefan

UBlink wrote:Time to start thinking seriously about what to bring.

Definitely a good idea. If anyone wants to stake claim to certain wines, please post them here so we don't overlap too much.

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
redwinefan wrote:Definitely a good idea. If anyone wants to stake claim to certain wines, please post them here so we don't overlap too much.

My friend and I will be bringing some Brack Mountain wines. Probably the Fable Sauvignon Vert and the L'Oliveto Pinot Noir.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

redwinefan

I'm going to stake claim to the dessert wine territory.

Laura Zahtila (picked up on the RPM Tour)
Wellington White Port (RPM Tour)

pcuccaro

redwinefan wrote:I'm going to stake claim to the dessert wine territory.

Laura Zahtila (picked up on the RPM Tour)
Wellington White Port (RPM Tour)

Nice! I really liked the Wellington White Port. Got some the first time I visited there and it was delicious!

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

redwinefan

pcuccaro wrote:Nice! I really liked the Wellington White Port. Got some the first time I visited there and it was delicious!

I'm excited to try it. I think I may sneak in a bottle of Canadian ice cider to round out the dessert wines.

redwinefan

Bumping to see if we can get more responses on wine selections.

UBlink

quality posts: 16 Private Messages UBlink

One of mine is an original Woot Cellars Monkey Prize. It hasn't been cellared under ideal conditions so may be undrinkable but there will be plenty of backup. Will also bring at least one bottle of bubbly to get things started, maybe 2 if the headcount requires. Other than that hope to hear menu details to see if there is an interesting pairing.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

redwinefan

UBlink wrote:One of mine is an original Woot Cellars Monkey Prize. It hasn't been cellared under ideal conditions so may be undrinkable but there will be plenty of backup. Will also bring at least one bottle of bubbly to get things started, maybe 2 if the headcount requires. Other than that hope to hear menu details to see if there is an interesting pairing.

I'll hopefully have some menu details midweek.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I'll have to check the cellar. I could bring a properly cellared MonkeyPrize if anyone is interested in comparing against the improperly stored one. Or a bottle of Mumm Napa bubbly. Or... We really need to get the menu, and pair wines properly! Do we know what Ben will be cooking for us?

Re. overnight accommodation: I have a friend in Hyde Park, only about 1 mile from Texas French Bread, via quiet streets, who rents out his B&B house just for events like this. It would be pretty reasonable if a few people joined forces, and certainly, by far, the nicest place around. Let me know if anyone is intested and I'll verify availability and put y'all in touch.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

redwinefan

I think there will be two entree choices. They were tossing around the Pot-au-feu as one of them. I'll pin them down for more info.

debegone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debegone

I was thinking of bringing a bottle of 2003 Jade Mountain Syrah Paras Vineyard. Not sure about the other bottle yet.

UBlink

quality posts: 16 Private Messages UBlink
ckeilah wrote:I'll have to check the cellar. I could bring a properly cellared MonkeyPrize if anyone is interested in comparing against the improperly stored one. Or a bottle of Mumm Napa bubbly. Or... We really need to get the menu, and pair wines properly! Do we know what Ben will be cooking for us?

Re. overnight accommodation: I have a friend in Hyde Park, only about 1 mile from Texas French Bread, via quiet streets, who rents out his B&B house just for events like this. It would be pretty reasonable if a few people joined forces, and certainly, by far, the nicest place around. Let me know if anyone is intested and I'll verify availability and put y'all in touch.

The Blinks are interested in Saturday night.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

redwinefan

A couple of the confirmed attendees haven't checked in for a bit. If you are on the list, and haven't posted in a while, please check in. I want to make sure the count is right to be nice to our gracious restaurant hosts.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 502 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I'm still planning on being there!

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

I'd love to make this event if anyone coming from Dallas has an extra seat open in the car.

redwinefan

MichaelWB wrote:I'd love to make this event if anyone coming from Dallas has an extra seat open in the car.

Hey MichaelWB. If you end up coming, please let me know so I can adjust our count with the restaurant.

For the rest of you, get your tastebuds ready... there will be prizes.

redwinefan

Looking for final confirm from Jopo528.. Jopo, please check in

redwinefan

The menu is in:

F.IRST
Antipasti w/ cured meats, olives, braised cauliflower and roasted buttercup
squash & chili oil

SECOND
Market salad, shaved parm

THIRD
Braised pork shoulder w/ jerusalem artichoke mash
or
Risotto w/ heirloom garlic and shitakes

FOURTH
Butterscotch budino or Hyde Park fudge cake

pcuccaro

redwinefan wrote:The menu is in:

F.IRST
Antipasti w/ cured meats, olives, braised cauliflower and roasted buttercup
squash & chili oil

SECOND
Market salad, shaved parm

THIRD
Braised pork shoulder w/ jerusalem artichoke mash
or
Risotto w/ heirloom garlic and shitakes

FOURTH
Butterscotch budino or Hyde Park fudge cake

Sounds great! We're looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Italian proverb

debegone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debegone

Sorry for the late notice, but I would like to add one to my group. Me + 2. Thanks!

redwinefan

debegone wrote:Sorry for the late notice, but I would like to add one to my group. Me + 2. Thanks!

I updated the first post. Our current number stands at 17.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I am so jealous of you all! I grew up in New Braunfels, TX and lived in the Houston area until about 2 1/2 years ago when I was relocated (work) to beautiful North East New Jersey - lol.

Wish I could join you for this, I imagine you will all have a great time. Be safe and have fun! Always a little homesick for Texas and as I read over this thread, even more so! Sounds like a great group getting together.

-Travis

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528
redwinefan wrote:Looking for final confirm from Jopo528.. Jopo, please check in

Yes we will see y'all tonight! Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I don't believe my maybe plus one will make it, but there will definitely be two of us! Excited to meet you all!

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

redwinefan

Jopo528 wrote:Yes we will see y'all tonight! Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I don't believe my maybe plus one will make it, but there will definitely be two of us! Excited to meet you all!

Great to hear. See everyone tonight!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 502 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Thank you redwinefan for organizing this. It was great to meet everyone and the food was FANTASTIC! And of course the wine. And the company.

redwinefan

ThunderThighs wrote:Thank you redwinefan for organizing this. It was great to meet everyone and the food was FANTASTIC! And of course the wine. And the company.

Thanks for coming ThunderThighs. It was great meeting you and everyone else.

It was a very pleasant evening of good food, good wine, and good conversation.

Thanks to TFB for hosting us, thanks to Woot for the monkeys, and thanks to Neil & WD & WCC crew for additional support.

pcuccaro

Thanks so much Redwinefan for organizing this event. My friend and I had a great time. We loved Texas French Bread! The food was excellent and the staff were wonderful! It was great to meet fellow wooters and try so many different wines. Now we'll have to organize a Houston gathering to show our hospitality!

Italian proverb

redwinefan

pcuccaro wrote:Thanks so much Redwinefan for organizing this event. My friend and I had a great time. We loved Texas French Bread! The food was excellent and the staff were wonderful! It was great to meet fellow wooters and try so many different wines. Now we'll have to organize a Houston gathering to show our hospitality!

Thanks for coming! You have me excited to try more Brack Mountain Wines.

If you organize a Houston gathering, we'd love to come down and join you since I have family there.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

Glad to see yall had fun..wish I could of joined. Come on up to Dallas... if we ever have another event.