MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
hokiedevil wrote:November 3 or 4 would probably work for me. Just need a heads up to arrange babysitter etc.

Silly question: Is there a way to "subscribe" to this particular thread and get notifications when there are new comments?

Nope, the forum type Woot uses doesn't have the capability (that we know of!) to do many of the things that other site's forums do.

But just keep checking back for updates, or keep a tab open for World of Woot Wine and refresh it periodically. Any new posts move a thread to the top of the forum.

And put me on the Maybe list. I might try to make it out there to visit then, if things work out here in SoCal.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Put me down as a probably, most likely, will really try.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

schaeferr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages schaeferr

This would be so fun! My wife and I would be driving over from Houston.

I've only recently "acquired" a stable-enough income to be able to start sampling the wonder and glory that is WW, but it has been a real joy so far.

How do these gatherings usually work?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Great to see so much interest! And we'd love to have you MarkDaSpark. Too bad we can't transport your wine locker with you.

If you want to get email updates, remember to PM me your email address.

The way these things usually work is that we decide on a wine theme, and everyone brings a bottle based on that theme which we can all taste. Hopefully, we'll get lucky, and wine.woot will send us a few bottles to taste as well.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

schaeferr wrote:This would be so fun! My wife and I would be driving over from Houston.

I've only recently "acquired" a stable-enough income to be able to start sampling the wonder and glory that is WW, but it has been a real joy so far.

How do these gatherings usually work?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

redwinefan wrote:Great to see so much interest! And we'd love to have you MarkDaSpark. Too bad we can't transport your wine locker with you.

If you want to get email updates, remember to PM me your email address.

The way these things usually work is that we decide on a wine theme, and everyone brings a bottle based on that theme which we can all taste. Hopefully, we'll get lucky, and wine.woot will send us a few bottles to taste as well.

Will do, and there's always a chance to bring wine!

Also, please check out Listing of WW Gatherings for ideas. We borrowed the "how to" list a WW Gathering from jwhite6114 and the NoVA/DC group.

But check out NoVA/DC # 4 & #6. We had lots of wine and fun.

And we learned from #4 that it is better to put the info into the first post, so everyone knows where to find it. You can see from #4 that jwhite was always updating it, and you had to look at the pages to see what was the latest.

Updating the first post made it so much easier for everyone to keep up.

DarkStar11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkStar11

Add me +1 as very likely. Great excuse to come to Austin, and the office is closed that Monday (MLK day).

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

Count me +1 in for this gathering. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

nmsoonergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmsoonergirl

I'm SO excited to see this! I don't think we'll make this one (we have to go to Texas over Christmas and again in February and I'm not sure I can get myself excited about a third trip in January), but I'm really hoping it will be a success so that there will be another one in the spring. My husband is always looking for an excuse to visit Austin.

redwinefan

Bumping this up to see if there is any more interest. Going to start firming things up when I get back from my Thanksgiving/bday vacation.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528

Put me down for a definite maybe +1. I think we can probably swing that. I can have a solid answer in a couple weeks as soon as I talk to him and get travel figured out! Would love to meet new people and maybe see some old friends *cough* Dallas crew *cough*

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I'm in! +1

But I mentioned this to Ben the other day, and he knew nothing of it. :-o

Maybe we should get a rough head-count and let TFB know. It is not a giant place.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

redwinefan

ckeilah wrote:I'm in! +1

But I mentioned this to Ben the other day, and he knew nothing of it. :-o

Maybe we should get a rough head-count and let TFB know. It is not a giant place.

If TFB can't fit us, we'll move to an alternate location or my house if worse comes to worse.

I'll edit the top post with a tentative headcount tomorrow.

redwinefan

Please check the top post. I've divided the group into maybes and definites based on your responses and if you are coming from out of town.

Post here if you need to swap lists, be added, or taken off.

I want to get an estimate so I can start firming things up.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

You can move the Blinks to definite. Always looking for an excuse to visit the grandBlinks.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

ThunderThighs

Staff

redwinefan wrote:Please check the top post. I've divided the group into maybes and definites based on your responses and if you are coming from out of town.

Post here if you need to swap lists, be added, or taken off.

I want to get an estimate so I can start firming things up.

I'm closer to a will than a will not if that helps any. =\

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

redwinefan

Ok, the Blinks and ThunderThighs have been moved to the definite side. Hopefully we'll hear from more people soon.

debegone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debegone

I'm confirming and add a +1 for me. Thanks!

ckeilah

Even if ALL of the confirmed and maybes showed up it's just over 20. That should be no problem! We just need to let them know that we are coming, and to have plenty of clean wine glasses. ;-)

Now, what wines are we bringing?

pcuccaro

Mt friend and I are confirmed so you can move us up to the definite list.

Let us know what theme so we can pick wines to bring.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

redwinefan

Since this is our first gathering, I say we keep the theme pretty wide open. We can get more specific on future meetups.

I'm going to propose these rules:

- Bring something from your collection you really like, or you've really been wanting to try. It doesn't have to be from Woot.
- One bottle per person
- Price $12-$25 range (with reasonable flexibility)

Do these rules sound ok?

schaeferr

Any idea for the general time frame for the gathering? Trying to finalize plans for the trip and seeing if we'd be able to swing going to the gathering but staying south near Gruene.

ckeilah

http://www.texasfrenchbread.com/events-catering/

Note the size of the indoor dining room. The "garden" is equally as large.

Dinner M-Sat 18:00-22:00

redwinefan

[quote postid="5284534" user="ckeilah"]http://www.texasfrenchbread.com/events-catering/

Note the size of the indoor dining room. The "garden" is equally as large.

I'm thinking 6pm when it opens, so probably 6pm-8pm. That way it will also be easier to see who is part of our group. I'm out of town, but I have my +1 on the case of getting this setup with them.

pcuccaro

redwinefan wrote:Since this is our first gathering, I say we keep the theme pretty wide open. We can get more specific on future meetups.

I'm going to propose these rules:

- Bring something from your collection you really like, or you've really been wanting to try. It doesn't have to be from Woot.
- One bottle per person
- Price $12-$25 range (with reasonable flexibility)

Do these rules sound ok?

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Italian proverb

redwinefan

We've got a reservation in for 6pm for our group at TFB on the 19th. Details to be worked out after Christmas.

Mark your calendars and let me know of any more changes to the Definites/Not definite list on the first message.

schaeferr

redwinefan wrote:let me know of any more changes to the Definites/Not definite list on the first message.

The Schaefers are (both) in.

UBlink

redwinefan wrote:

I'm thinking 6pm when it opens, so probably 6pm-8pm. That way it will also be easier to see who is part of our group. I'm out of town, but I have my +1 on the case of getting this setup with them.

Based on experience at previous Woot dinners, 2 hours will fly by. Count on 3 hours.

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528

Yes, we will definitely be there! So count me plus 1, but maybe but not 100% sure 2

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

MarkDaSpark

Still hoping to change from a Maybe, but it's not looking good.

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Still hoping to change from a Maybe, but it's not looking good.

And miss a rare Thunderthighs sighting? Still looking good for me.

FORUM MODERATOR

pcuccaro

MarkDaSpark wrote:Still hoping to change from a Maybe, but it's not looking good.

How will we harass you if you don't come to the Austin gathering? Guess we'll have to keep bugging you in the forums...

Italian proverb

redwinefan

Bumping this to make sure there aren't any more additions/changes to the list.

Updated the first post with all the event info so far.

UBlink

redwinefan wrote:Bumping this to make sure there aren't any more additions/changes to the list.

Updated the first post with all the event info so far.

The first post is showing 8:00 while a more recent post is showing 6:00. The Blinks are hoping 6:00 is correct.

redwinefan

UBlink wrote:The first post is showing 8:00 while a more recent post is showing 6:00. The Blinks are hoping 6:00 is correct.

The Blinks are correct. I must have mistyped! Thanks for spotting it, it is now corrected.

The dinner is at 6PM.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Any hotel recommendations near-ish to the dining spot?

FORUM MODERATOR

redwinefan

ThunderThighs wrote:Any hotel recommendations near-ish to the dining spot?

TFB is very close to UT campus, so you could stay at the AT&T Conference Center:

http://www.meetattexas.com/

The Doubletree Suites on 15th is not the far either.

Personally, I'd try Priceline to see if you can get a good deal in the downtown area.

There is also a Doubletree that is probably cheaper than the Suites one on the East side of 35 near 15h.

ThunderThighs

Staff

redwinefan wrote:TFB is very close to UT campus, so you could stay at the AT&T Conference Center:

http://www.meetattexas.com/

The Doubletree Suites on 15th is not the far either.

Personally, I'd try Priceline to see if you can get a good deal in the downtown area.

There is also a Doubletree that is probably cheaper than the Suites one on the East side of 35 near 15h.

Sounds good. Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR

redwinefan

Bumping for less than two week countdown.

UBlink

redwinefan wrote:Bumping for less than two week countdown.

Time to start thinking seriously about what to bring.