North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I know this is definitely not strictly wine related, but restaurants have wine, and therefore it belongs here, so here is goes.

The wife and I are planning a 4-day trip to Chicago last next month and figured I would check with people on here to see if they had any recommendations on hotels, restaurants and general things to do. I know you all travel way more than I do, so I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

We are probably going to be staying downtown, leavings on a Thursday morning and coming back later in the day on Monday. The only thing I have planned for sure is to catch both a Cubs and White Sox game, probably Saturday and Sunday.

Any suggests at all are welcome!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:I know this is definitely not strictly wine related, but restaurants have wine, and therefore it belongs here, so here is goes.

The wife and I are planning a 4-day trip to Chicago last next month and figured I would check with people on here to see if they had any recommendations on hotels, restaurants and general things to do. I know you all travel way more than I do, so I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

We are probably going to be staying downtown, leavings on a Thursday morning and coming back later in the day on Monday. The only thing I have planned for sure is to catch both a Cubs and White Sox game, probably Saturday and Sunday.

Any suggests at all are welcome!



Go to Food Network and hit up some of ht Diners Drive ins and Dives places for lunches. I have no specific recs since I haven't been there in 20 years, but that's a good start.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Bump

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

karenhynes


quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

Hey North-

If you could give me some idea of where you'll be staying and what types of cuisine you'll be seeking, I may be able to come up with some suggetions.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
karenhynes wrote:Hey North-

If you could give me some idea of where you'll be staying and what types of cuisine you'll be seeking, I may be able to come up with some suggetions.



We will be staying downtown, not sure where exactly yet. We are pretty much open to any cuisine, not set on anything in particular.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

karenhynes


quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

Well...Chicago has tons of restautants to choose from. Here's a start....let me know wat direction you want to go from here....



I suppose Chicago is probably best known as a PIZZA town. Most people love Gino's East http://ginoseast.com/. Personally, I hate their pizza. I much prefer either Giordano's http://www.giordanos.com/ or Lou Malnati's, though I haven't been to Lou''s for a few years [urlhttp://www.loumalnatis.com/[/url].



Chicago is also great for STEAK!!
My 2 top choices for steak would probably be:

Gene and Georgetti's http://www.geneandgeorgetti.com/

The Saloon http://www.saloonsteakhouse.com/


There's an ITALIAN place just next door to The Saloon (Francesca's, I think)...their food is good...BUT, in the basement ofthe same location, there's a very cute little WINE BAR http://www.disottoenoteca.com/ which my friends and I like a lot.

Coco Pazzo and Coco Pazzo Cafe are also very good for Italian (excellent gnocchi) http://www.cocopazzochicago.com/


TAPAS

For tapas, I usually end up at Cafe Iberico http://www.cafeiberico.com/. I'd recommend the queso de cabra if you like baked goat cheese, almejas en salsa verde if you like clams...ooooh and the jamon iberico, if you eat pork products.

Cafe Ba-ba-reeba http://www.cafebabareeba.com/ is great too.


More to come...I'm hungry now!!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

mrn1


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

North

i have a daughter that lives in Chicago, so over the past 4-5 years we leave Cleveland and head to Chicago for a long weekend.
I usually watch for hotel deals on Travelzoo, looks like there is a deal that might fit into your travel plans depending on your travel dates at the Drake, great location on Mag. Mile. I usually shop for a hotel based on price and location; you can look on other hotel websites and look for properties in River North, Loop, or Magnificant Mile.

Previous comments on pizza are accurate, as are the comments on Gene and Georgetti's for steak.

I asked my daughter her ideas for you to consider. Her thoughts:

Best Upscale: Girl and the Goat, Sprout, Balena.

Best BYOB: (take in your own bottle(s) of vino!!!):

Smoque and Chilapan

Best quick/casual:
Xoco= hot dogs.

I suggest you go to Yelp to get an idea about the food/service etc before you try any recomendations, either from me or anyone else.

For other ideas on accomodations and things to do, go to the forums in Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor forums are my bible when I travel. Putting together my own tours is so easy when you have other travelers experiences to guide you.

If you need any additional info, PM me.

estherb57


quality posts: 0 Private Messages estherb57

May I also recommend The Purple Pig and The Publican. Food is excellent at both places, and the wine/beer selections are wonderful. Also, a Rick Bayless place - Topolobampo or Frontera Grill (he also owns XOCO, but we missed that one last time). Agree on Gene and Georgetti's for steak. I use Chowhound for food recs, although Yelp is also good.

Last time, we stayed at the Guest Quarters on E Wacker. It has a fridge and microwave, which helped.

I highly recommend any tour by the Architecture Foundation, especially the boat tour if the weather is nice.

Good choice on the baseball!

Have fun.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. We have still been super busy and haven't planned anything yet, so these will all be very helpful.

Any recommendations on Seafood?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
North316 wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. We have still been super busy and haven't planned anything yet, so these will all be very helpful.

Any recommendations on Seafood?



Yeah, come out to Long Island, NY.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Midwest seafood sucks, you should know that.

One more rec for you. It's a BYOB place, French - wait let me check to make sure they're currently open. Crap. Well, they reopen Sept 1st, but put it on your list anyway for the NEXT time.

Cotes du Rhone is where a number of Chicago gatherings have happened. Food is awesome, it's BYOB with no corkage. I've been known to randomly drive the 5 hours to Chicago just to go there for dinner. Technically for the escargot. But dinner happened. Don't judge me, it's fantastic.

There's also Fogo de Chao if you're looking for something unique - it's a churrascaria (Brazilian steak house).

At the Westin North Shore is Osteria di Tramonto (Italian), and Tramonto's steak house, both fabulous.

The pizza anywhere in Chicago sucks. Sorry, but it does. I'm a New York pizza kind of gal.

There's also a Medieval Times in Schaumberg just outside the city if you want to make a fun night of it.

Now I want to go to Chicago.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Just wondering if anyone had any new/additional suggestions. We are heading back to Chi-Town this weekend and staying Friday-Sunday. The sole reason for the trip is for our first visit to Wrigley> I absolutely have to see it before the $300 million renovations begin, and no time like the present.

Last trip was ended up being just one night. We went to Shedd Aquarium during the day, Gene & Georgetti's for dinner, and a White Sox game on the way back on Sunday.

Definitely going to hit Navy Pier Saturday afternoon/evening. Looking to see the fireworks and may eat dinner there as well. Any suggestions on the pier for places to eat?

We also may be visiting the Field Museum or any number of other attractions in the Magnificent Mile area. We're staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites just off Michigan and plan on walkin most places we go, but I have no problem taking a cab for some good food!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

It's been years since I've been on the pier but can't recall anyplace there worth eating.

If you want the best Chicago pan pizza go to Lou Malnati's.

Hit up Garretts popcorn and get a bag of the Chicago mix.

For partying near Wrigley, I'd avoid Murphy's and try Bernie's or the Full Schilling instead. You'll find more regulars and less "frat boys" and tourists.

Be sure to take a walk around the ballpark, enjoy the neighborhood, the beauty of the outside of the park. After the "renovations" it just won't be the same. Wrigley has some of the worst and overpriced food in baseball, plan on eating before/after.

Have fun!

chipgreen


quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

Leona's is a good place for reasonably priced Italian right near Wrigley. The one time I went to see the Cubs play, that's where we stopped for dinner after the game and everybody enjoyed it. I had the lasagna and would order it again.

I've never been to Mike Ditka's Restaurant but I know that my Dad used to go there with my sister and he liked it alot.

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I haven't seen anyone mention it previously, but Joe's Stone Crab is awesome. Great seafood (especially stone crab!), even better bloody marys. Same restaurant group you would find in Miami. Went for Brunch on Sunday last time we were there instead of dinner and really enjoyed it.

Karen mentioned in an earlier 2012 post The Saloon Steakhouse. My wife and I met an old friend and his GF there last time we were in town. Very memorable dinner, both for the food and the company. I remember that they also had some great side dishes, just can't pull any specifics out at the moment.

There is a great Mexican food place in the Ukrainian Village that I always grab lunch at while I'm there. I'm originally from Texas and wouldn't normally seek out Mexican food as I go north, but it was recommended to me by a long time resident and I'm glad I went, I've been about 3 times since and will go next time I'm in the area - Tecalitlan.

Navy Pier is a lot of fun. I second getting the Chicago mix at Garrett's. If you have time, a guided architecture cruise through the city may not sound like a blast, but it's extremely interesting and informative. Not something I would usually do but glad we did this once.

I'm sure you are aware, lots of cool bars and quick bites around Wrigley. Fun area in general.

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

Hi North

I'm assuming you are staying at the one off of Ontario, there is a tasty restaurant called Markethouse, american comfort food, steaks, seafood. Also nearby is a well known Tapas joint called Emilio's Tapas Sol Y Nieve. Emilios was the guy to make Tapas popular in Chicago.

If you want to get fancy, Lawry's prim rib is a classic and with walking distance. So is Capital Grill, both are pricey.

My brother-in-law is the Manager at Grand Lux Cafe on Michigan. It is Cheesecake Factory's big Brother and a place for celebrity watching and large menu. A lot of Chicago athletes go there. Only thing is probably a long wait, no reservations.

Taxi Ride:
There is a byob contemporary latino joint that I'm hoping to have a Chicagoland gathering. It is called Estrella Negro in logan square, I have not dined there yet but it has received rave reviews.

Near Wrigleyville is place my friends and I frequent called Uncommon Grounds. It is a coffee house but they have great food and cocktails. There is a small but nice outdoor eating area, and weekends have live music.

One of my favorite restaurants is Prosecco. It's upscale Italian and as you can guess a large list of Prosecco wine. Great food, service and they greet you with a glass of Prosecco.

A good website to try is Check Please,

http://checkplease.wttw.com/all-cuisines

it's a show out here where people make restaurant suggestions. You could search by cuisine or location or use Zagat for the best search results. If you don't have an account, pm me and I'll give you access to mine.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
funbunny wrote:Hi North

I'm assuming you are staying at the one off of Ontario, there is a tasty restaurant called Markethouse, american comfort food, steaks, seafood. Also nearby is a well known Tapas joint called Emilio's Tapas Sol Y Nieve. Emilios was the guy to make Tapas popular in Chicago.

If you want to get fancy, Lawry's prim rib is a classic and with walking distance. So is Capital Grill, both are pricey.

My brother-in-law is the Manager at Grand Lux Cafe on Michigan. It is Cheesecake Factory's big Brother and a place for celebrity watching and large menu. A lot of Chicago athletes go there. Only thing is probably a long wait, no reservations.

Taxi Ride:
There is a upscale byob latino joint that I'm hoping to have a Chicagoland gathering. It is called Estrella Negro in logan square, I have not dined there yet but it has received rave reviews.

Near Wrigleyville is place my friends and I frequent called Uncommon Grounds. It is a coffee house but they have great food and cocktails. There is a small but nice outdoor eating area, and weekends have live music.

One of my favorite restaurants is Prosecco. It's upscale Italian and as you can guess a large list of Prosecco wine. Great food, service and they greet you with a glass of Prosecco.

A good website to try is Check Please,

http://checkplease.wttw.com/all-cuisines

it's a show out here where people make restaurant suggestions. You could search by cuisine or location or use Zagat for the best search results. If you don't have an account, pm me and I'll give you access to mine.



I definitely second Emilios. We had a woot gathering there several years back and it was a great meal.

Lawry's is also a great suggestion for prime rib. It's definitely old school!

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
funbunny wrote:Hi North

I'm assuming you are staying at the one off of Ontario, there is a tasty restaurant called Markethouse, american comfort food, steaks, seafood. Also nearby is a well known Tapas joint called Emilio's Tapas Sol Y Nieve. Emilios was the guy to make Tapas popular in Chicago.

If you want to get fancy, Lawry's prim rib is a classic and with walking distance. So is Capital Grill, both are pricey.

My brother-in-law is the Manager at Grand Lux Cafe on Michigan. It is Cheesecake Factory's big Brother and a place for celebrity watching and large menu. A lot of Chicago athletes go there. Only thing is probably a long wait, no reservations.

Taxi Ride:
There is a upscale byob latino joint that I'm hoping to have a Chicagoland gathering. It is called Estrella Negro in logan square, I have not dined there yet but it has received rave reviews.

Near Wrigleyville is place my friends and I frequent called Uncommon Grounds. It is a coffee house but they have great food and cocktails. There is a small but nice outdoor eating area, and weekends have live music.

One of my favorite restaurants is Prosecco. It's upscale Italian and as you can guess a large list of Prosecco wine. Great food, service and they greet you with a glass of Prosecco.

A good website to try is Check Please,

http://checkplease.wttw.com/all-cuisines

it's a show out here where people make restaurant suggestions. You could search by cuisine or location or use Zagat for the best search results. If you don't have an account, pm me and I'll give you access to mine.



Great suggestions. I did a little research last night and Markethouse did intrigue me as do most of the other options posted by you and others.

Funny story about the Grand Lux Cafe. Leading up to our Vegas vacation back in April/May, one of my wife's supervisors just kept going on and on about this place that had the best cheesecake. This was all my wife could talk about and was one of the very few places she absolutely had to go. Her supervisor couldn't remember the exact name of the place, but kept referring to it as "the Luxor in the Venetian". Well, we finally made our way to the Venetian and discovered the Grand Lux Cafe, which had a small dessert case out front. We walked up to the case, my wife incredibly eager and excited, until we got close enough and I read the bottom of the case which said "Proudly serving cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory".

I absolutely died laughing, even though my wife was very disappointed. Definitely nothing against Cheesecake Factory, but she was expecting something completely different. We ended up going elsewhere and having some gelato instead. The worse part of the story is that she was too afraid to give the person a hard time about it, because it was her supervisor. If it were me, I would still be mocking them.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

funbunny


quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
North316 wrote:Great suggestions. I did a little research last night and Markethouse did intrigue me as do most of the other options posted by you and others.

Funny story about the Grand Lux Cafe. Leading up to our Vegas vacation back in April/May, one of my wife's supervisors just kept going on and on about this place that had the best cheesecake. This was all my wife could talk about and was one of the very few places she absolutely had to go. Her supervisor couldn't remember the exact name of the place, but kept referring to it as "the Luxor in the Venetian". Well, we finally made our way to the Venetian and discovered the Grand Lux Cafe, which had a small dessert case out front. We walked up to the case, my wife incredibly eager and excited, until we got close enough and I read the bottom of the case which said "Proudly service cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory".

I absolutely died laughing, even though my wife was very disappointed. Definitely nothing against Cheesecake Factory, but she was expecting something completely different. We ended up going elsewhere and having some gelato instead. The worse part of the story is that she was too afraid to give the person a hard time about it, because it was her supervisor. If it were me, I would still be mocking them.



I guess they don't want people to know they are part of the Cheesecake Factory family, but then it would be wise not to identify your dessert with them. Bro-in-law worked for a number of years at a Cheesecake factory and then was promoted to Lux Cafe. The food is really good there, I've only been a couple times because he insists on picking up our tab and then I feel like a leech.

He told us a funny celebrity story about the Luc Cafe. A few years back there was a guy that came in by himself, shabby clothes, baseball cap, not their usual clientele on Michigan Avenue. The hostess seated him in the corner, what he deemed the worst table in the place. A waiter alerted my b-i-l that the bummy guy was Ron Howard who was shooting a movie down the street.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

loveladyelectric


quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

You should really check out the Aviary. It's amazing.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-aviary-chicago-2

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:...this place that had the best cheesecake.

Totally off topic, but for that, come to one of our Buffalo gatherings.
Have a great time in Chicago, one of my favorite cities.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

forumc40


quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40
North316 wrote:Just wondering if anyone had any new/additional suggestions. We are heading back to Chi-Town this weekend and staying Friday-Sunday. The sole reason for the trip is for our first visit to Wrigley> I absolutely have to see it before the $300 million renovations begin, and no time like the present.

Last trip was ended up being just one night. We went to Shedd Aquarium during the day, Gene & Georgetti's for dinner, and a White Sox game on the way back on Sunday.

Definitely going to hit Navy Pier Saturday afternoon/evening. Looking to see the fireworks and may eat dinner there as well. Any suggestions on the pier for places to eat?

We also may be visiting the Field Museum or any number of other attractions in the Magnificent Mile area. We're staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites just off Michigan and plan on walkin most places we go, but I have no problem taking a cab for some good food!



I work part-time at a Greek restaurant in Wicker Park called Taxim. It's not your typical "Greektown Greek-American" jibba jabba. The food is focused on different regions of pre-Ottoman Greece, so there are some familiar things, along with other items that are often associated as being Cypriot, Turkish, Balkan, or even Middle Eastern. Anyway, the food is great, but they also have one of the largest (if not the largest) Greek wine menus in the midwest. Agiorgitiko, Xinomavro, Assyrtiko, Moscofilero, Malagouzia, etc., as well as several lesser known varietals. And NO Retsina, ha!! Many are really phenomenal and it's been great for me to expand my wine knowledge and see connections between Greek grapes and their european counterparts. (Xinomavro is a sister grape to Nebbiolo, Assyrtiko is comparable to Sauv Blanc., etc.) Check it out on Yelp or the website. I'd recommend making a reservation if it sounds interesting. I'll be working there on Sunday too.

Edit: per the responses above, Taxim was also on Check Please! last season, so you can see the clip on their website, as well as on Iron Chef two seasons ago.
As far as the steakhouse suggestions, Lawry's is the BEST prime rib for sure!!

Ain't easy...

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
forumc40 wrote:I work part-time at a Greek restaurant in Wicker Park called Taxim. It's not your typical "Greektown Greek-American" jibba jabba. The food is focused on different regions of pre-Ottoman Greece, so there are some familiar things, along with other items that are often associated as being Cypriot, Turkish, Balkan, or even Middle Eastern. Anyway, the food is great, but they also have one of the largest (if not the largest) Greek wine menus in the midwest. Agiorgitiko, Xinomavro, Assyrtiko, Moscofilero, Malagouzia, etc., as well as several lesser known varietals. And NO Retsina, ha!! Many are really phenomenal and it's been great for me to expand my wine knowledge and see connections between Greek grapes and their european counterparts. (Xinomavro is a sister grape to Nebbiolo, Assyrtiko is comparable to Sauv Blanc., etc.) Check it out on Yelp or the website. I'd recommend making a reservation if it sounds interesting. I'll be working there on Sunday too.

Edit: per the responses above, Taxim was also on Check Please! last season, so you can see the clip on their website, as well as on Iron Chef two seasons ago.
As far as the steakhouse suggestions, Lawry's is the BEST prime rib for sure!!



Wow, that sounds very interesting and I'll definitely stop by Taxim the next time I am there. Added to Yelp bookmarks - Thanks!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
forumc40 wrote:I work part-time at a Greek restaurant in Wicker Park called Taxim. It's not your typical "Greektown Greek-American" jibba jabba. The food is focused on different regions of pre-Ottoman Greece, so there are some familiar things, along with other items that are often associated as being Cypriot, Turkish, Balkan, or even Middle Eastern. Anyway, the food is great, but they also have one of the largest (if not the largest) Greek wine menus in the midwest. Agiorgitiko, Xinomavro, Assyrtiko, Moscofilero, Malagouzia, etc., as well as several lesser known varietals. And NO Retsina, ha!! Many are really phenomenal and it's been great for me to expand my wine knowledge and see connections between Greek grapes and their european counterparts. (Xinomavro is a sister grape to Nebbiolo, Assyrtiko is comparable to Sauv Blanc., etc.) Check it out on Yelp or the website. I'd recommend making a reservation if it sounds interesting. I'll be working there on Sunday too.

Edit: per the responses above, Taxim was also on Check Please! last season, so you can see the clip on their website, as well as on Iron Chef two seasons ago.
As far as the steakhouse suggestions, Lawry's is the BEST prime rib for sure!!

Thanks for this info. We don't get to Chicago often enough, but we really like authentic food, and this sounds terrific.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Just thought I would give an update of the trip.

We got in to Chicago Friday around noon, went to the Field Museum which took the better part of the afternoon.

Back to the hotel to check-in and relax for a little bit then off to Gino's for deep dish pizza for dinner. The pizza was excellent, though we bought too much. I tried to explain to my wife how big the slices were and that we only needed a small, but she insisted on the medium, so we had a half of a pizza left and no refriderator in the hotel to store it. We managed to eat another slice or two as a late-night snack, but still had some delicious pizza go to waste, shame!

On our way back from Gino's was stopped at Garrett's and patiently waited in line (probably about 25-30 minutes). Got some of the Chicago mix and some caramel corn by itself. Both were very good, though I think I have a slight preference for the caramel corn (my mix seemed a little heavy on the cheese popcorn, maybe just an unlucky event).

Day 2 (Saturday) - We just walked the city for a good majority of the day. Stopped at Epic Burger for a quick lunch. Not sure if this is a Chicago only chain, but it was very similar to five-guys burger chain which I am very familiar with. We walked around some more and discovered the beach. I was totally unaware that there was a beach in Chicago. Only been there twice now, but know plenty of others who had been there and never once heard anything about a beach, was interesting. Walked around a bit more then back to the hotel to relax before dinner.

We really couldn't decide on what we wanted for dinner. Nothing really jumped out to us and we weren't dressed appropriately for anything too upscale. I jumped back on here for one last review of suggestions and went with Emilio's when we discovered it was just right around the corner, and neither of us had ever been a tapas place. Some of the dishes with a little hit and miss, but overall I would say it was very good. We had a grilled calamari which I enjoyed, though it was just slight overcooked and not as tender as I prefer (very easy to do with Calimari). The wife didn't care for that as a much, as the texture was not appealing, she prefers her calimari fried. We also had some garlic potato salad, which we both loved. It was loaded with fresh chunks of garlic. I would not suggest this for anyone who does not love garlic, it was very close to being overwhelming, but in a good way. We even put some of the potato salad on the bread as a sort of garlic spread. Had a spinach and cheese stuff mushroom cap which was delicious and a pepper rolled beef, which I think was a sirloin, which was served with carmalized onions and horseradish sauce, was very good. Last item was a daily special, grilled lamb chops with peppers and a green beans. For some reason my wife, who had no problem with a steak cooked medium, is fearful of lamb cooked at that temp, so the chops were ordered medium-well, and cooked well. This was our least favorite dish, but probably would have been much better if ordered and cooked at medium.

After dinner we headed down to Navy Pier. We got there just after 7 and realized that fireworks didn't start until 9:30 (or so I thought, they didn't actually start until 10:15) so we decided to take one of the architecture cruises, which was definitely worth the price of admission. Afterwards we walked around the pier a bit, but I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked because the crowds were aweful due to the fireworks. Had a funnel cake, then enjoyed the fireworks and headed back to the hotel for the evening.

Day 3 (Sunday) - Morning consisted of resting, packing and checking out. Made a second trip to Garrett's to load up on caramel corn while the wife was getting ready. Then off to Wrigley Field. We parked in one of the neighborhoods and walked around a little bit before going in the stadium. We each had our first Chicago Dog then sat down to enjoy the game after getting lots of pictures. Great game and a great park for any true baseball fan. Cubs blew a 3-2 lead in the top of the 9th with 2 outs a full-count, Starling Marte hit a homer (which I told my wife he was going to at the start of the at-bat), but they came back and won in the bottom of the 11th.

Great weather for weekend, and we had a great time. Can't wait to go back.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013