WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Broc Cellars Wines

A cellar's a wonderful thing, but only if it's full. Otherwise, it's basically a dark and scary room under your house. So chase away the fear with wine! I mean, not by drinking away the pain or anything.
Broc Cellars official site

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare

Broc Cellars 2008 Bennett Valley Grenache 3-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $84.00) 23% off List Price
2008 Dry Stack Vineyard Bennett Valley Grenache

Broc Cellars Philary Vineyard, Napa Valley Syrah 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $150.00) 33% off List Price
2007 Philary Vineyard, Napa Valley Syrah
2008 Philary Vineyard, Napa Valley Syrah

Broc Cellars 2008 Eaglepoint Ranch Mendocino Grenache 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $100.00) 30% off List Price
2008 Eaglepoint Ranch Mendocino Grenache

Broc Cellars 2010 Carignane Magnum 2-Pack
$72.99 (Normally $100.00) 27% off List Price
2010 “Carbonic” Carignane Magnum
CT links above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

OoWillz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages OoWillz
Cesare wrote:Broc Cellars 2008 Bennett Valley Grenache 3-Pack
$64.99 $84.00 23% off List Price

Wow Cesare strikes again! He's even on the Woot+ deals :O.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
OoWillz wrote:Wow Cesare strikes again! He's even on the Woot+ deals :O.

Well of course he does! We are lucky to have him around!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

inkycatz wrote:Well of course he does! We are lucky to have him around!

i second that motion! also lucky to have Broc Cellars. some great wines here.

Cesare

Winedavid39 wrote:i second that motion! also lucky to have Broc Cellars. some great wines here.

Everyone will miss me next week!
Who wants to fill in?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

There's good info on the Dry Stack in the prior offer threads. However, I'm a little confused about the blend for the Mendocino. Is it 100% grenache, like it says in the specs? Or does it have "a small addition of Syrah" as the write-up says? There's a CT note that says its 20% Syrah, which is more than a small amount.

Also on the Mendocino, what's the drinking window? Was there any new oak used? Any information on the vineyard, especially how it differs from the Dry Stack offering?

I'd probably be in by now if it were a mixed 4-pack of the grenaches, or even a 3-pack with a syrah. But I need some more info if I'm going to commit to just one set.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

ohhh Broc Cellars, among my very favorite wines produced in California. Great to see this mix posted for Wooters!

WineDavid was my Boss!

saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45
texacaliali wrote:ohhh Broc Cellars, among my very favorite wines produced in California. *snip*

Why?

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Cesare wrote:Everyone will miss me next week!
Who wants to fill in?

I would, man, but at those hours I am dead asleep.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Cesare wrote:Everyone will miss me next week!
Who wants to fill in?

I can fill in on the plus deals, but with my work schedule these past few weeks can't handle the daily deals (1am EST is too late when I get to work at 6am).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

brocwine

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brocwine

The 08 Mendocino Grenache is from Eaglepoint Ranch. It's blended with roughly 15% Syrah to give it meatier quality. The 08 Dry Grenache has a more lush palette even though usually a cooler climate in Bennett Valley.

merbill wrote:There's good info on the Dry Stack in the prior offer threads. However, I'm a little confused about the blend for the Mendocino. Is it 100% grenache, like it says in the specs? Or does it have "a small addition of Syrah" as the write-up says? There's a CT note that says its 20% Syrah, which is more than a small amount.

Also on the Mendocino, what's the drinking window? Was there any new oak used? Any information on the vineyard, especially how it differs from the Dry Stack offering?

I'd probably be in by now if it were a mixed 4-pack of the grenaches, or even a 3-pack with a syrah. But I need some more info if I'm going to commit to just one set.

brocwine

Had fun showing the 08 Philary Syrah and 08 Dry Stack Grenache in Napa yesterday. They both should be on some nice restaurant wine lists next week!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
brocwine wrote:The 08 Mendocino Grenache is from Eaglepoint Ranch. It's blended with roughly 15% Syrah to give it meatier quality. The 08 Dry Grenache has a more lush palette even though usually a cooler climate in Bennett Valley.

How does this compare to the Eaglepoint Ranch Winery 2007 Grenache? Does the addition of Syrah significantly alter the flavour profile in this case?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

brocwine

I haven't had the Eaglepoint Winery 07 Grenache but two very different vintages. The 08 is tasting young and fresh. The Syrah adds some color but still distinctly Grenache.

klezman wrote:How does this compare to the Eaglepoint Ranch Winery 2007 Grenache? Does the addition of Syrah significantly alter the flavour profile in this case?

Cesare

North316 wrote:I can fill in on the plus deals, but with my work schedule these past few weeks can't handle the daily deals (1am EST is too late when I get to work at 6am).

I have the daily covered, plus only would be great.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Smoke from fires in 2008 scare me from the Mendocino Grenache which is the one I was interested in!

"The older I get the better I was"

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

saxwizerd45 wrote:Why?

Every single wine I've tried from Broc has been outstanding. Well made wines, I always order when I see them on a wine list. Have a few bottles of the Grenache and Carignan in my cellar, but can't keep the Vine Star Red and Whites around very long - we drink them up! Chris is making great wines and I like his style. I also drink a fair amount of Wind Gap, Grace, LIOCO, Copain, Arnot-Roberts...they roll in the same likeability circles.

WineDavid was my Boss!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
brocwine wrote:I haven't had the Eaglepoint Winery 07 Grenache but two very different vintages. The 08 is tasting young and fresh. The Syrah adds some color but still distinctly Grenache.

smoke taint?

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
brocwine wrote:I haven't had the Eaglepoint Winery 07 Grenache but two very different vintages. The 08 is tasting young and fresh. The Syrah adds some color but still distinctly Grenache.

Cool...so the smoke taint question has been asked (but I think Eaglepoint Ranch may be out of the that area) but how else are the 07 and 08 vintages so different? Does it have the stuffing to go a long time? When will the peak drinking window be?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:Cool...so the smoke taint question has been asked (but I think Eaglepoint Ranch may be out of the that area) but how else are the 07 and 08 vintages so different? Does it have the stuffing to go a long time? When will the peak drinking window be?

PM for ya

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Would love to hear an answer on the smoke taint question...that's the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

brocwine

This is a 2008 Mendocino wine so not much from the area got by unaffected. Thats said, and because of that, it's one of the most amazing wines to pair with food. Two restaurants in San Francisco, Wexlers and Txoko, are pouring it by the glass.

tytiger58 wrote:Would love to hear an answer on the smoke taint question...that's the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger

tytiger58

brocwine wrote:This is a 2008 Mendocino wine so not much from the area got by unaffected. Thats said, and because of that, it's one of the most amazing wines to pair with food. Two restaurants in San Francisco, Wexlers and Txoko, are pouring it by the glass.

Not really what I wanted to hear...was the wine treated for taint?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Not really what I wanted to hear...was the wine treated for taint?

Yeah. The honesty is really appreciated but the answer is kind of concerning. I was intrigued by the magnum two-pack.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brocwine

that i can't guess. but i do know know it pairs well pimento.

tytiger58 wrote:Not really what I wanted to hear...was the wine treated for taint?

brocwine

not treated at all, it was blended with some syrah. it's well integrated overall with some bottle age.

brocwine wrote:that i can't guess. but i do know know it pairs well pimento.

brocwine

only 30 magnums total were bottled.

kylemittskus wrote:Yeah. The honesty is really appreciated but the answer is kind of concerning. I was intrigued by the magnum two-pack.

brocwine

Broc-tacular kicking of in Berkeley in 15 mins!!!

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

Top quality wines from a top quality producer for sure! Love what Chris does with all varieties - especially his grenaches . . . special wines indeed!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tytiger58

tercerowines wrote:Top quality wines from a top quality producer for sure! Love what Chris does with all varieties - especially his grenaches . . . special wines indeed!

Cheers!

Can't wait to try them..just a little worried about the smoke.

Thanks Larry!