2009 Columbia Valley Pinot Gris 750ml 2-Pack
2009 Lawrence Vineyard Altruism Riesling 750ml 2-Pack
2009 Columbia Valley Dry Riesling 750ml 2-Pack
CT Links above

Website

Facebook
Twitter

Previous Offer:
4/3/12 (2009 Altruism Riesling in offer with 3 other whites)

Summer shipping is in effect so don't worry about your wine. (Which is also why prices are up.)
Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

™ © ®

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

We have a new Cesare

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

room209

quality posts: 6 Private Messages room209

Bought these during a wootoff one time. Was pleasantly surprised by how good they are.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Guess we'll have to use the back door for a bit. I've put in a call for someone to smack the server to get the discussion links on the main page.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Did anyone else notice the free shipping?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
trifecta wrote:Did anyone else notice the free shipping?

But when you go to check out, even though you select the free shipping option, it still charges you the $5 fee and your total is $84.99

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I was in on a previous Gård woot offering. We have been thoroughly enjoying them; generally they are well-crafted and straightforward whites, but with some more subtle components than the ordinary solidly crafted simple whites. Finishes ranged from dry to slightly sweet, all of them nicely balanced between crispness, fruitiness, and sweetness. The slightly sweet are wonderful warm weather wines. They are best drunk no more than moderately chilled - below about 50°F some of the subtle flavors in the profile are lost. It wasn't until I had some of the bottles at warmer temps that I came to really appreciate these.

My favorite by far was the Freya blend, which is not included in this offer. Also note that some of the vintages in this offer differ from those in the previous woot offering I linked to.

Overall, this is an easy buy for me. I would be in for at least two if I hadn't just also bought the Triacepedis.

ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Did anyone else notice the free shipping?

I'm gonna insert a

whooops

here. Be right back. I need to make a phone call.

UPDATE: The change has been made to fix the 'free shipping' tag but the problems we're having with the discussion threads not being posted is also affecting the page update. Sigh.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

So would the Altruism make a good multipurpose wine: summer sipping as well as food-pairing?

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
noslensj wrote:I was in on a [url=http://wine.woot.com/offers/g-rd-washington-mixed-white-case]previous Gård woot offering

That offering appears to have been a much better deal than this one, price-wise.

ThunderThighs

Staff

sdbcmr wrote:.

That offering appears to have been a much better deal than this one, price-wise.

*cough* Summer Shipping *cough*

The previous offer was during the cooler months. Just gonna point that out. Also, while two of the wines are the same, the Dry Riesling is different.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bkarlan wrote:We have a new Cesare

He was busy, and asked me to take care of it.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

bkarlan wrote:But when you go to check out, even though you select the free shipping option, it still charges you the $5 fee and your total is $84.99

But once you buy something else on one of the Woots, then it's $0!!!

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:*cough* Summer Shipping *cough*

The previous offer was during the cooler months. Just gonna point that out. Also, while two of the wines are the same, the Dry Riesling is different.

Actually, only one is the same. The previous offer was the Altruism PG, not the Lawrence Vineyards PG.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm gonna insert a

whooops

here. Be right back. I need to make a phone call.

UPDATE: The change has been made to fix the 'free shipping' tag but the problems we're having with the discussion threads not being posted is also affecting the page update. Sigh.

Still shows on the Main Wine.Woot, but when you click on it, it's missing on the Buy One page.

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Still shows on the Main Wine.Woot, but when you click on it, it's missing on the Buy One page.

It's gone now. It wasn't updating due to the same whatever problem was causing the discussion thread link to not post. Gremlins.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
Moondragon wrote:So would the Altruism make a good multipurpose wine: summer sipping as well as food-pairing?

I didn't make specific mental notes on the offerings except for the Freya. We are not extremely picky about wine pairings much beyond the basics of matching reds and whites, and mostly we drink whites with fish and shellfish. In that vein all I can offer regarding the altruism is that it must have been at least a decent match or I would have made a mental note otherwise.

Beyond that the best I can offer is to pay attention to the overall dryness of the wine in deciding about whether one of them might make a good summer deck wine and as to how it might pare with various food options. If you think some sweetness will be out of the place with the dinner then stick with a fully dry wine. But that advice isn't specific to this wine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I got the previous offer of a case from Gård and here's my take:

The altruism Riesling is a simple wine, semi sweet. Typical low to mid end Riesling noting special but pleasant

I did not like the altruism Pinot Gris at all, not enough concentration of flavor, mine was like water. That being said, this is not the altruism but rather a vineyard designate which is hopefully better.

The dry riesling was FANTASTIC. One of the more complex whites I have had the pleasure of enjoying. The case had the previous year but I'd expect them to be similar.

I hope this helps.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

As I started typing this, I realized that it may not be all that helpful at all. I also purchased the case offering previously. So far I have only tried the Riesling (which is not the same one offered here) and the Freyja, which is not offered here at all. These were both good wines and worth the price paid then ($9/btl). The Riesling wasn't my favorite Riesling but was pleasant enough and didn't appear to have any major flaws, I was just hoping for more because I tend to like my wines on the sweeter side. The Freyja was actually very good. The wife and I drank it while in the pool on a 95 degree day and it was quite refreshing. We haven't tried the Dry Riesling or the PG, but I am looking forward to the Dry Riesling (not a big fan of PG).

Though this is a slightly different offering, and does have some Vinyard designate wines, you can expect some decent wines. I wouldn't expect any of these to blow you away, but they shouldn't disappoint either. I know they are different, and summer shipping is in effect, but the increase from $8.75 to $13.33 per bottle on the offering seems a little steep for me. It is still a decent deal, just not as good of a QPR as the last offering.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

How is this shipping?
UPS or FedEx?

Yes, I know WCC ships FedEx, but I believe April was a direct winery shipment.

I had a lengthy exchange last April with Lisa and ended up missing out, as it was scheduled to ship UPS, and at the time that for me wouldn't work at all, to my disappointment. Perhaps this time.

CT

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

I picked up a case the last time it was offered and really enjoyed most of it (haven't got to the Riesling). The Freyja (not offered) was outstanding. I actually liked the Pinot Gris, but as I believe someone already mentioned you just couldn't serve it too cold or it would blow out the very delicate flavors. The dry Riesling was was a nice compromise for those that don't like sweeter wines, but enjoy the Riesling flavor profile.

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

lisat5

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lisat5
rjquillin wrote:How is this shipping?
UPS or FedEx?

Yes, I know WCC ships FedEx, but I believe April was a direct winery shipment.

I had a lengthy exchange last April with Lisa and ended up missing out, as it was scheduled to ship UPS, and at the time that for me wouldn't work at all, to my disappointment. Perhaps this time.

Hello again! Thanks for your interest. We're shipping FedEx this time!

lisat5

Moondragon wrote:So would the Altruism make a good multipurpose wine: summer sipping as well as food-pairing?

Yes, the Altruism Riesling is semi dry/slightly sweet and makes for a great summer sipper. Also very food-friendly. Rated "Best Buy" and "Recommended" from Wine Press NW. More info: www.gardvintners.com/woot

lisat5

ThunderThighs wrote:*cough* Summer Shipping *cough*

Actually, the 09 Altruism Riesling is the only wine that appeared in both Woot promotions. The Dry Riesling is different vintage - 2009 in this offer - and the 2009 Pinot Gris wasn't in the first offer. All wines are vineyard designate - estate grown, in fact - at Lawrence Vineyards in the Columbia Valley.

lisat5

83fxwg wrote:I picked up a case the last time it was offered and really enjoyed most of it (haven't got to the Riesling). The Freyja (not offered) was outstanding. I actually liked the Pinot Gris, but as I believe someone already mentioned you just couldn't serve it too cold or it would blow out the very delicate flavors. The dry Riesling was was a nice compromise for those that don't like sweeter wines, but enjoy the Riesling flavor profile.

Thanks! Love to hear that you enjoyed the Freyja! Yes, I agree with the comments that these wines should be chilled, but not too cold or you might lose some of the subtleties. The Dry Riesling and Pinot Gris are on the dry side - the Altruism Riesling is semi-dry, but the slight sweetness is balanced well with the acidity.

lisat5

North316 wrote:As I started typing this, I realized that it may not be all that helpful at all. I also purchased the case offering previously. So far I have only tried the Riesling (which is not the same one offered here) and the Freyja, which is not offered here at all. These were both good wines and worth the price paid then ($9/btl). The Riesling wasn't my favorite Riesling but was pleasant enough and didn't appear to have any major flaws, I was just hoping for more because I tend to like my wines on the sweeter side. The Freyja was actually very good. The wife and I drank it while in the pool on a 95 degree day and it was quite refreshing. We haven't tried the Dry Riesling or the PG, but I am looking forward to the Dry Riesling (not a big fan of PG).

Though this is a slightly different offering, and does have some Vinyard designate wines, you can expect some decent wines. I wouldn't expect any of these to blow you away, but they shouldn't disappoint either. I know they are different, and summer shipping is in effect, but the increase from $8.75 to $13.33 per bottle on the offering seems a little steep for me. It is still a decent deal, just not as good of a QPR as the last offering.

Thanks for picking up Gard on the last offer. Yes, our white wines tend to be on the drier, less sweet side. 09 Altruism Riesling is the sweetest wine offered here at 1.6% residual sugars - considered semi-dry, but the acidity might mask some of the sweetness making it appear a little drier than expected. Still a fantastic wine, great summer sipper.

All Gard wines are vineyard designate - Lawrence Vineyards - our estate vineyard on the Royal Slope of the Columbia Valley (see lawrencevineyards.com.

Sorry we couldn't match the screaming deal of our first Wine.Woot offering - we wanted to make a big splash on the site for our first go 'round! Hoping that doesn't dissuade you from this offer - still at a good price.

lisat5

cmaldoon wrote:I got the previous offer of a case from Gård and here's my take:

The altruism Riesling is a simple wine, semi sweet. Typical low to mid end Riesling noting special but pleasant

I did not like the altruism Pinot Gris at all, not enough concentration of flavor, mine was like water. That being said, this is not the altruism but rather a vineyard designate which is hopefully better.

The dry riesling was FANTASTIC. One of the more complex whites I have had the pleasure of enjoying. The case had the previous year but I'd expect them to be similar.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for picking up Gard on our last offer. Glad to hear you enjoyed our Dry Riesling - I'd say that's our flagship white wine, and the 2008 and 2009 are very similar in style.

Yes, this is a completely different Pinot Gris than the last order - it's a very unique wine, aged 6 months on 100% new French oak puncheons (super big barrels) whereas the Altruism Pinot Gris from the last offer was done on stainless steel. More info: gardvintners.com/woot

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

We bought the sampler back in April. While these aren't amazing 90+ pt bottles, they're all quite decent - though the QPR (4/3 offer was $8.75/btl, whereas it's now $13.33/btl) was certainly better that time.

My (pairing w/food) notes on these:

Dry Riesling...
- Dryness was nice with baked tilapia and red skin potatoes with green beans
- Indeed quite dry, but decent with chili/lime panko tilapia

Altruism Riesling...
- Good with sesame chicken and green beans
- Decent pairing with teryaki chicken and spring rolls

Pinot Gris...
- A tad dry, improved after being opened for an hour or two

I know these aren't the exact same wines but I suspect there enough similarities for this to be at least a decent general guide. Not going in this time as I just ordered 10 bottles of Triacipedis... but it's probably worth an order if you're interested and/or a big white drinker.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.