2009 Mercenary Zinfandel
2009 Mutiny 8888 Red Blend
CT links above

Winery website

™ © ®

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

How did I get the first sucker? Thats a first...

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

Wow these things look incredibly hot. The kitchen sink red seems pretty scary with that high alcohol and being such a diverse blend. I'd love for a rat or faux rat to speak about these.

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Hmmm signed up to rat this one... May the woot gods bestow free wine upon me.

omgad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages omgad

The bottles are gorgeous! Anyone know anything about the wine?

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

I'm imagining these at a dinner with friends. "What do you want?" "B*tch Tongue."

Rofl! That would definitely liven things up, especially for anyone who happens to overhear that exchange, but hasn't yet checked out the bottles.

I really do like the sound of this sampler, but I really don't like my lack of storage. Not that that ever really stops me, it seems. Really.

bantachris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bantachris

I may have ordered this solely based on the fact that I wanted pirate wines in my winefridge...

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

Once again I'm tempted to order just because I love the labels (sort of like Woot's F Bomb, which turned out to be delicious); but it seems a little too much like betting a bundle on a race horse because you love the name. Waiting for a few more comments before spending $20+ for pretty bottles.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Looks like the 2009 Mercenary Zinfandel won a SILVER medal at the Central Coast Wine Competition last month. Press Release

And the Bitch Tongue 2008 Tempranillo won Bronze at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.Press Release

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

Looks like the tempranillo comes from the same area as the Twisted Oak wines, which I recently became a member of... might be worth purchasing just to do a tasting comparison!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I had this wine recently... Let me dig up my notes:

Lido Bay 2009 "Bitch Tongue"

Quite a name. Great label and a solid and hefty bottle.

Popped and poured at cool room temp. Noted initially, notes hold over 3 hours.

Color: rosy, slightly purplish red. Relatively lightly concentrated color reminiscent of a Grenache. Crystal clarity. I would guess that this wine was fined.

Nose: candied red cherry. Initially smelled hot ( alcohol) but that burned off after the first hour. There is a hint of vanilla but none of the earthiness that I expect from a tempranillo.

Palate: bright cherry koolaid... There is a hint of the earth I was looking for but just a hint. Not much complexity here. Little to no tannin. Medium to medium light body. A bit of creaminess on the finish.

Overall assessment: I am a big fan of tempranillos. I like them for the concentrated dark fruit favors backed by an earthiness and often a healthy bit of acid. This did not seem varietaly correct to me and I would have guessed it as a Grenache. It was not dark, not earthy, and just not my thing.

I can't recommend this at $21/ bottle. I had another tempranillo recently for $12 a bottle that beat this hands down.

Sorry guys!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

smeera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smeera
cmaldoon wrote:Sorry guys!

Don't apologies. That bit about little to no tannins made this a good choice for me.

meows

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

For 3 bottles and 21 dollars + shipping, i'm not really feeling this "deal".

lidobay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lidobay

Welcome aboard fellow Wooters! Bob Balentine here AKA the Grape Impaler winemaker at Lido Bay Winery. Just wanted to reach out and answer any questions from my fellow scalaywags..Dare to step aboard??? BTW..these wines all recently took the GOLD medal at the Orange County International Wine Competetion...

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Opened a bottle of the mutiny, it's a really cool bottle and label. Generally hate dealing with wax but was easy to cut off.

Pop and pour, not much nose, a little alcohol. Bright red cherry predominant for me, a little spice, even a little chocolate comes and goes. The finish, I could have guessed there was PS even before checking the blend. Tongue sucking tannins, just unexpected with the feel of the rest of the wine. Mellowed out after a bit and the alcohol blew off a little. Think this might have gone better with food. Give it some time after opening. It's interesting.

CT

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

WD & TT.....Yeah, I know this is not the place for it, but why don't you bring back the number of woots on each wine sold....This BS with Order Pace (rank) and Woots Sold (rank) is TOTAL NONSENSE. Doesn't tell me sh-t. Probably another reason to go elsewhere to buy my wine, which I really don't want to do....too many changes!!!....and now back to the regularly scheduled program. I know....my comment probably ranks in the bottom 33%.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
lidobay wrote:Welcome aboard fellow Wooters! Bob Balentine here AKA the Grape Impaler winemaker at Lido Bay Winery. Just wanted to reach out and answer any questions from my fellow scalaywags..Dare to step aboard??? BTW..these wines all recently took the GOLD medal at the Orange County International Wine Competetion...

Winemaker Bob,

What about your winemaking or the base grapes make this Tempranillo more of a light and fruity wine rather than a dark earthy one?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

lidobay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lidobay
cmaldoon wrote:Winemaker Bob,

What about your winemaking or the base grapes make this Tempranillo more of a light and fruity wine rather than a dark earthy one?

It seems that with the addition of the Grenache and Mourvedre (20%) the color is slightly lighter and we get more of the lighter berry notes (fruit) from these additions...I really enjoy this style especially during this HOT summer. It pairs well with a wide range of food...Right now its sipping nice on the patio in Paso Robles...94 today and grilling some pork chops later with grilled peaches...

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

Can't go wrong with a sampler. Something for everyone. Hopefully, it gets here soon. Need to celebrate my upcoming vacation with no emergency calls.

Silly Rabbit......

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Drinking the Lido Bay Mutiney (Red Blend) at JavaDrinker's wedding w/ ClayFu & zTimothyBz.

Tasting & smelling a prepondernce of Cab.

ClayFu thinks it big and fruity, grape juice concentrate. Not offensive at all, but inexpensive.

Tim thinks it's like a young ruby port. ????

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Krismwilliamson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krismwilliamson

In for one to support a local Discovery Bay, CA business. I also live in Discovery Bay..

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007
cmaldoon wrote:

I can't recommend this at $21/ bottle. I had another tempranillo recently for $12 a bottle that beat this hands down.

Sorry guys!

Agree,there are too many top shelf bargain priced tempranillos from Spain to waste monies on this overpriced Cali hipster swill.When it comes to Tempranillos leave it to the experts in Spain.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
MarkDaSpark wrote:Drinking the Lido Bay Mutiney (Red Blend) at JavaDrinker's wedding w/ ClayFu & zTimothyBz.

Tasting & smelling a prepondernce of Cab.

ClayFu thinks it big and fruity, grape juice concentrate. Not offensive at all, but inexpensive.

Tim thinks it's like a young ruby port. ????

To be fair to my own comment, my exact words were it'd be fine for under $10. It wasn't a mess like most alcohol fruit bombs are, but it was just very heavy, ripe, sweet and you can feel the weight of the alcohol. Some people like that style some don't.

I understand Tim's comment on why it tasted like port. It had almost a similar thickness on the palate.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Carp, sorry I missed this one. Woot, please re-run this soon?