MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Ddeuddeg and bahwm are in town before heading up to the RPM Tour. So we're getting together with them that Saturday at Tim's wonderful abode in Lakewood (off the 605 freeway).

AND ... I've heard that we will also be welcoming Mr. & Mrs. JavaDrinker there.

---------------------------------------------

Date: July 21st, Saturday
Time: 6:00 pm
Host: zTimothyBz at his Lakewood abode
Theme: D-Dog & Bahwm are in town!! (Like we really need an excuse to drink wine!)

Attending:

1. zTimothyBz
  2. MarkDaSpark
  3. ddeuddeg
  4. bahwm (D-Dog's +1)
  5. JavaDrinker
  6. Mrs. JavaDrinker
  7. rjquillin

Maybes:

• Cousin Alice (bahwm & D-dog's cousin)
  • Itwdswafo
  • Merbill
  • Merbill's +1 (SWMBO)

Regrets:

• Whoever misses this
  • Klezman

Updated: 7/17/12 @ 1:10 pm

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin

Y'all driving or flying up?

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Y'all driving or flying up?

Do you mean about the RPM Tour?

D-dog & bahwm will fly up, and Tim & I will carpool up. However, there probably won't be any room, since we need to keep room for our purchases.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Hey, thanks for setting this up zTimothyBz & Sparky! We feel honored to have a tasting named after us!

Please add Cousin Alice to the Maybes List. We probably won't know until we get there on Friday if she'll be joining us or not. Cousin Alice will try whatever wine we put in front of her, but she still prefers her white zin! Thanks!

Oh, and I can't wait to see the new Mr & Mrs!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Do you mean about the RPM Tour?

D-dog & bahwm will fly up, and Tim & I will carpool up. However, there probably won't be any room, since we need to keep room for our purchases.

yeah, the RPM tour. Wasn't looking for a ride, but that could have been nice. Also driving, assuming I too will need the storage capacity for the return. What time you planning to depart? I'm navigationally challenged on the ground thinking of scoring a GPS for the trip so I don't end up in Costa Rica on the way. Might be good to follow taillights.

Joining in on this Saturday would cut down at least a bit of the trip.

Didn't WD ship stuff for us one year?

CT

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman

Decided I need to support the gf up in San Francisco for her qualifying exam. So I'll be up there...what that also means is that I hope to make at least a stop by the Tour to say hi, enjoy some wine with y'all and such.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:yeah, the RPM tour. Wasn't looking for a ride, but that could have been nice. Also driving, assuming I too will need the storage capacity for the return. What time you planning to depart? I'm navigationally challenged on the ground thinking of scoring a GPS for the trip so I don't end up in Costa Rica on the way. Might be good to follow taillights.

Joining in on this Saturday would cut down at least a bit of the trip.

Didn't WD ship stuff for us one year?

I'm thinking early (7.5 to 8.5 hour drive) to avoid traffic and still get up there to check in and join the dinner. So we need to be there around 5 (or sooner), which means a 9:00 am departure time. If not earlier.

And WD gave discounted shipping on the first tour (IIRC), and there was a huge discount ( ) the 2nd group 2 years ago.

But that's only for the stuff we buy on the tour, and Tim bought extra at Wellington on the way home.

rjquillin

With zTimothyBz's blessing, add me to the list.

Looks like this will be the time to meet some of those on the vet's tour I still wish I could make work.

CT

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Hey, thanks for setting this up zTimothyBz & Sparky! We feel honored to have a tasting named after us!

Please add Cousin Alice to the Maybes List. We probably won't know until we get there on Friday if she'll be joining us or not. Cousin Alice will try whatever wine we put in front of her, but she still prefers her white zin! Thanks!

Oh, and I can't wait to see the new Mr & Mrs!

So what wines would youse guys like to drink?

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:So what wines would youse guys like to drink?

Oh, Geez! As you wish.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus

SWMBO and I are regrets. While we'd love to meet you guys, congratulate Java and his better half, and I guess see Tim and Sparky, we have been booked for a while. We are pretty much booked until the baby comes, actually, which may or may not be a good thing...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:So what wines would youse guys like to drink?

And is there anything in my stash you'd like me to fetch up?

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:SWMBO and I are regrets. While we'd love to meet you guys, congratulate Java and his better half, and I guess see Tim and Sparky, we have been booked for a while. We are pretty much booked until the baby comes, actually, which may or may not be a good thing...

I missed this post before sending you a PM which you may ignore. We'll look forward to a meeting in the future.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:I missed this post before sending you a PM which you may ignore. We'll look forward to a meeting in the future.

Reverse that. I posted after your PM, realizing it was rude of me to just assume you guys all knew my schedule.

And we look forward to the same!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Hmmm, I'm going to the WCC that morning, then seeing Dark Knight in the evening. I'll have to see how late I can push that movie viewing.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

Put us down as Maybe's, with a good shot of making it.

Should have a theme, maybe a Newlywed Game of some sort, with Sparky as Bob Eubanks. And wine, lots of wine.

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:And is there anything in my stash you'd like me to fetch up?

I really, really, really need to update my CT. Clicked on the Wines not in common, and kept seeing ones I haven't entered yet.

Maybe something from the Finger Lakes or an unusual varietal?

Something Newlywed related?

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to the WCC that morning, then seeing Dark Knight in the evening. I'll have to see how late I can push that movie viewing.

Wine Country Connect?? You're going to Sonoma in the morning?

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:Put us down as Maybe's, with a good shot of making it.

Should have a theme, maybe a Newlywed Game of some sort, with Sparky as Bob Eubanks. And wine, lots of wine.

Excellent suggestion!!!

And hopefully that "good shot" will become a "will be there"!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Something Newlywed related?

Such as IH Wedding Cuvée?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

Sparky, could you please PM me zTimothyBz's address? Trying to get a few things organized.

Any thoughts about somethings we could do with Cousin Alice during the day on Saturday & Sunday? We've made absolutely no plans except for this event. I kind of hate to show up there and have her ask what we want to do or see, when we're not totally sure ourselves! Been to Disney, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios (a long time ago!), the Getty, the Catholic Cathedral in LA (ooops, that was me and not ddeuddeg), San Diego & SD Zoon, Newport Beach, Big Bear, Rancho Cucamonga, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Pasadena, saw the Giants play the Dodgers, ummm. . .

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:Such as IH Wedding Cuvée?

Humm, that one I don't have, but if you happened to "Russian" (Cuvée) to your marriage I could accommodate.

CT

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Sparky, could you please PM me zTimothyBz's address? Trying to get a few things organized.

Any thoughts about somethings we could do with Cousin Alice during the day on Saturday & Sunday? We've made absolutely no plans except for this event. I kind of hate to show up there and have her ask what we want to do or see, when we're not totally sure ourselves! Been to Disney, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios (a long time ago!), the Getty, the Catholic Cathedral in LA (ooops, that was me and not ddeuddeg), San Diego & SD Zoon, Newport Beach, Big Bear, Rancho Cucamonga, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Pasadena, saw the Giants play the Dodgers, ummm. . .

Done.

And have you been to both Getty's? There's the one in LA, and the Villa in Malibu.

There's Mission San Juan Capistrano; the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art in Santa Ana; the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda; Medieval Times in Buena Park; Discovery Science Center (Children's Science Museum) in Santa Ana; California Science Center with a Cleopatra exhibit; the Natural History Museum in LA; and the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA).

The latter has displayed the 340-ton granite megalith that was moved from Riverside to the museum (JavaDrinker posted pics of it moving, and I might have too in FB).

Edit: Better yet, Olvera Street!!

Better yet, it's walking distance to Phillippe's, home of the French Dip sandwich!

Olvera is right across from Union Station, so you might find a train or Metro Rail in to there, and walk around.

Chinatown is close by as well.

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Done.

And have you been to both Getty's? There's the one in LA, and the Villa in Malibu.

There's Mission San Juan Capistrano; the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art in Santa Ana; the Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda; Medieval Times in Buena Park; Discovery Science Center (Children's Science Museum) in Santa Ana; California Science Center with a Cleopatra exhibit; the Natural History Museum in LA; and the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA).

The latter has displayed the 340-ton granite megalith that was moved from Riverside to the museum (JavaDrinker posted pics of it moving, and I might have too in FB).

Edit: Better yet, Olvera Street!!

Better yet, it's walking distance to Phillippe's, home of the French Dip sandwich!

Olvera is right across from Union Station, so you might find a train or Metro Rail in to there, and walk around.

Chinatown is close by as well.

Wow! Thanks for all of your suggestions! We'll check into some of that later. Got your PM.

tiger7610

quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610

How about San Diego wild animal park? As an added bonus you get to drive through orange groves to get there.

rjquillin

tiger7610 wrote:How about San Diego wild animal park? As an added bonus you get to drive through orange groves to get there.

Lot's o stuff here in SD. Air and Space museum also interesting, and of course there are wineries as well.

CT

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:How about San Diego wild animal park? As an added bonus you get to drive through orange groves to get there.

San Diego might be a bit far for us to be going for a day trip. Plus, we wouldn't want wild animals crawling over our rental car! Cousin Alice has an orange tree in her backyard and her whole area had originally been orange groves!

tiger7610

quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610
bahwm wrote:San Diego might be a bit far for us to be going for a day trip. Plus, we wouldn't want wild animals crawling over our rental car! Cousin Alice has an orange tree in her backyard and her whole area had originally been orange groves!

Nah they dont crowd over your car, its a bit different than the lion safari in Ontario, if you are there, its definitely worth a visit

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
bahwm wrote:Any thoughts about somethings we could do with Cousin Alice during the day on Saturday & Sunday?

A few more ideas in the L.A. area: Aquarium of the Pacific, the gardens at the Huntington Library (have tea there?), Los Angeles Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden, L.A. Zoo, Venice Beach, 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, the Queen Mary.

Have you heard of the SCA? On Saturday the 21st, just a few blocks from my house is the Lyondemere Anniversary (on the event calendar here). I'll probably be visiting it with the puppies...

MarkDaSpark wrote:and Tim & I will carpool up.

Just noting that we are carpooling up on *Tuesday* to make the start of the vets tour.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
zTimothyBz wrote:A few more ideas in the L.A. area: Aquarium of the Pacific, the gardens at the Huntington Library (have tea there?), Los Angeles Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden, L.A. Zoo, Venice Beach, 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, the Queen Mary.

Have you heard of the SCA? On Saturday the 21st, just a few blocks from my house is the Lyondemere Anniversary (on the event calendar here). I'll probably be visiting it with the puppies...
Just noting that we are carpooling up on *Tuesday* to make the start of the vets tour.

Our lists overlap; except for the 3rd Street Promenade and the SCA I was suggesting the same, in addition to the La Brea Tar Pits (haven't been there in forever though).

What about Will Rogers and Lawry's by the river? Are those still around?

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Our lists overlap; except for the 3rd Street Promenade and the SCA I was suggesting the same, in addition to the La Brea Tar Pits (haven't been there in forever though).

What about Will Rogers and Lawry's by the river? Are those still around?

I think Lawry's by the river is no more. Someone mentioned that the wedding site for JavaDrinker's & CoffeeMate's wedding used to be Lawry's.

And I think it's way too late to meet Will Rogers. About 77 years too late.

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think Lawry's by the river is no more. Someone mentioned that the wedding site for JavaDrinker's & CoffeeMate's wedding used to be Lawry's.

And I think it's way too late to meet Will Rogers. About 77 years too late.

Not sure how all of you are getting up north, but if you're taking the 101 and want to make a pit stop in Los Olivos, I'd be more than happy to open the tasting room for you!!! Just drop me a line and let me know for sure - larry AT tercerowines.com.

Cheers!

(mod fix: email adjusted, trying to keep the bots from invading you)

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

tercerowines wrote:Not sure how all of you are getting up north, but if you're taking the 101 and want to make a pit stop in Los Olivos, I'd be more than happy to open the tasting room for you!!! Just drop me a line and let me know for sure - larry at tercerowines.com.

Cheers!

Thanks for the offer, but we'll probably go up and back on the 5. If we had more time on the way back, I might have considered going back down the 101 (like I did the first RPM Tour) if we had more time.

But maybe next year we can set up a group tour for Ventura/Santa Barbara wine areas. Cause you are a must stop when I'm in the area!

D-dog & bahwm are flying up.

Oh, and I pulled out the at sign on your email, since some of the "bots" scan for those, and then you get tons more spam.

You might want to edit your post and do the same.

zTimothyBz

I'm thinking we could do a fire-pit later in the evening.

I only have a few patio chairs, though, so if local people could bring some that would be nice.

Also, since I use Real Wood(tm) it implies having a cover-up or clothes that can take a mild smoke smell. (Hair seems to lose the smell overnight.)

My cellar

bahwm

zTimothyBz wrote:I'm thinking we could do a fire-pit later in the evening.

I only have a few patio chairs, though, so if local people could bring some that would be nice.

Also, since I use Real Wood(tm) it implies having a cover-up or clothes that can take a mild smoke smell. (Hair seems to lose the smell overnight.)

Confused: It looks like you are trademarking the term "Real Wood". I just googled it and came up with furniture-type stuff and nothing to do with some sort of fire-pit "fuel". Do you mean logs/branches that were actual trees at one time? And, thanks for the heads up. We'll probably do a bit of laundry before we head up for the tour anyway.

zTimothyBz

Yes - just a (failed) attempt at humour, making the distinction between wood and gas.

One other thing - if anyone has diet requirements (e.g., gluten-free, vegan, etc.), please let me know.

My cellar

bahwm

zTimothyBz wrote:Yes - just a (failed) attempt at humour, making the distinction between wood and gas.

One other thing - if anyone has diet requirements (e.g., gluten-free, vegan, etc.), please let me know.

I hadn't thought of a gas fire pit. Pits aren't allowed in the city where we live. No dietary concerns for us. Thanks for asking!

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:I hadn't thought of a gas fire pit. Pits aren't allowed in the city where we live. No dietary concerns for us. Thanks for asking!

You forget the tree-huggers here in Cali ... How dare you burn wood!!!

MarkDaSpark

Anyone else joining us??

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:Yes - just a (failed) attempt at humour, making the distinction between wood and gas.

What, other than my body and a bottle, should I bring?

CT