WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

R2 Wine Company

R2 Wines says that the chances of this event selling out are 725 to 1. Actually, the winery has been known to make mistakes…from time to time…oh dear!
R2 Wine Company official site

Quality Posts

• (3:17 PM, 7/6/2012) [WINERY] pnotpdcr hops in to chat.
  • (3:31 PM, 7/6/2012) [WINERY] pnotpdcr has some quick comments.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Nice! I've enjoyed the Black Pine Pinot for the Woot price. Haven't opened the Grenache blend yet, but I might just to see if it is worth getting more.

Also, very nice to see two Grenache Blanc offers on Woot in one day.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
redwinefan wrote:Also, very nice to see two Grenache Blanc offers on Woot in one day.

Agreed, it gives a lot of room for some great comparisons and contrasts.

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm kind of interested in all four offers, but I'll likely grab none. I have no room and have a ton of wine on my office floor since my damn wine cooler arrived broken.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

So IIRC this was offered before, at least a Rhone blend from them, if not that same wine/vintage.
Any wooter feedback? I loved some of the original Roessler PNs, and am a big rhone fan, so this has strong appeal, but I'd like some incentive...

Cesare

quality posts: 1652 Private Messages Cesare

R2 2010 Black Pine Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$58.99 (Normally $78.00) 24% off List Price
2010 Black Pine California Pinot Noir

R2 2010 Rhapsody Red Rhone Blend 3-Pack
$58.99 (Normally $78.00) 24% off List Price
2010 Rhapsody en Blu Red Rhone Blend

R2 2009 Big Bend Carneros Chardonnay 3-Pack
$53.99 (Normally $72.00) 25% off List Price
2009 Big Bend Carneros Chardonnay

R2 2010 Rhone Style White Mix 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $96.00) 27% off List Price
2 2010 Vin Blancs White Rhone Blend, Santa Barbara County
2 2010 Grenache Blanc, Santa Ynez Valley
CT links above

Previous offers:
8/29/11 (Reds)
8/15/11 (Whites)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20

I loved the 09' rhapsody and would consider buying the 10' at sub $20 shipped. I paid $17 for the 09' and thought it was awesome QPR at that price.

Edit: I noticed that the blend is a bit different from 09' to 10'. What was the primary cause for the different blend and how has it impacted the final wine compared to the 2009 release?

CT

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
cortot20 wrote:I loved the 09' rhapsody and would consider buying the 10' at sub $20 shipped. I paid $17 for the 09' and thought it was awesome QPR at that price.

Edit: I noticed that the blend is a bit different from 09' to 10'. What was the primary cause for the different blend and how has it impacted the final wine compared to the 2009 release?

Everything I can find is about the 2009 which had a different blend, as you point out. Also, you mention less than $20 shipped but if I'm calculating right then this is $22 shipped with summer shipping pricing.

cortot20

time2testit wrote:Everything I can find is about the 2009 which had a different blend, as you point out. Also, you mention less than $20 shipped but if I'm calculating right then this is $22 shipped with summer shipping pricing.

Yeah but at that price it's $5 more per bottle than last years offer so it takes it out of the auto buy category for me.

CT

redwinefan

time2testit wrote:Everything I can find is about the 2009 which had a different blend, as you point out. Also, you mention less than $20 shipped but if I'm calculating right then this is $22 shipped with summer shipping pricing.

Just prepped the 09 Rhapsody for sampling tomorrow. Looking at the 09 blend, it has me very intrigued, so I'm surprised I haven't opened one yet. Curious if the R2 folks chime in why they choose to go so Grenache heavy on their blends.

RRichmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RRichmo

In the past couple of weeks, I've enjoyed both the '09 Rhapsody and the '09 Black Pine. Unfortunately, I have no notes, just that I enjoyed both quite a lot and find them to be excellent QPR. The only thing that may keep me from buying any is the corresponding Zeppelin offer.

pnotpdcr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages pnotpdcr

Sorry to be a bit late in catching up with you wooters this time around. The '09 was 85% Grenache with 8% Carignane, Mourvedre and Syrah making up the balance. In 2010 we went with 65% Grenache and 35% Mourvedre to see how it worked out for us. The Grenache is always going to be the foundation for the wine. I love the texture, high toned fruit quality and the concentration. Being a pinot guy, its a natural for me. The 2010 was not as hot a year and consequently the wine is a little more nuanced and not as much jammy fruit. I think the wine is drinking off the charts right now after having been in the bottle for 10 months. Beautiful aromatics and Scott did a great job with the balance on the wine. We just today signed up Juvia in Miami to pour it by the glass! Miami's hottest new spot... This wine won't be around for long.

redwinefan wrote:Just prepped the 09 Rhapsody for sampling tomorrow. Looking at the 09 blend, it has me very intrigued, so I'm surprised I haven't opened one yet. Curious if the R2 folks chime in why they choose to go so Grenache heavy on their blends.

pnotpdcr

The Grenache Blanc was a personal favorite for me. The first time I tasted Chris Curran's Camp 4 Grenache Blanc, I fell in love! ...with the wine! :-) We're sourcing the fruit from Camp 4 as well and the wine is really great. I love the minerality of the wine and the balance of soft stone fruit and lovely acid. Not much of it around as I think Chris was quoted as saying there was only 100 acres planted in 2009. No doubt some budding over is takng place as the varietal is catching on quickly.

redwinefan wrote:Nice! I've enjoyed the Black Pine Pinot for the Woot price. Haven't opened the Grenache blend yet, but I might just to see if it is worth getting more.

Also, very nice to see two Grenache Blanc offers on Woot in one day.

pnotpdcr

A few more quick comments for you... Scott Shapley, who was with us for 6 years is now focusing on producing some wine on his own and doing a little consulting. Byron Kosuge made the 2011 wines and I'm excited to be working with him. We tasted thru the lots a few weeks ago in preparation for bottling later this month. The whites were actually bottled up this past Tuesday. In addition to VinBlancs and Big Bend Chard, we produced 100 cases of Viognier and 50 cases of Roussanne, both from Camp 4 Vineyard. The Viognier is the white rock star! With the reds, we loved the Carignane so much that we're bottling up 150 cases of it on it's own. It's the first Rhone we've produced that really rivals the great single vineyard pinots we produced over the years. Really excited to see how it's received this winter. There are more fun small lots coming down the road... hope we get to share a bit of them here with the Wooters who have been so supportive for years now! Thanks everyone...! Great to be back...

redwinefan

pnotpdcr wrote:A few more quick comments for you... Scott Shapley, who was with us for 6 years is now focusing on producing some wine on his own and doing a little consulting. Byron Kosuge made the 2011 wines and I'm excited to be working with him. We tasted thru the lots a few weeks ago in preparation for bottling later this month. The whites were actually bottled up this past Tuesday. In addition to VinBlancs and Big Bend Chard, we produced 100 cases of Viognier and 50 cases of Roussanne, both from Camp 4 Vineyard. The Viognier is the white rock star! With the reds, we loved the Carignane so much that we're bottling up 150 cases of it on it's own. It's the first Rhone we've produced that really rivals the great single vineyard pinots we produced over the years. Really excited to see how it's received this winter. There are more fun small lots coming down the road... hope we get to share a bit of them here with the Wooters who have been so supportive for years now! Thanks everyone...! Great to be back...

Yes, please bring that Carignane to Woot! Love a good Carignane.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:Yes, please bring that Carignane to Woot! Love a good Carignane.

I would be interested in the Viogner, the Roussanne, and the Carignane! Love Rhone varietals, especially the white varietals.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I would be interested in the Viogner, the Roussanne, and the Carignane! Love Rhone varietals, especially the white varietals.

Email to you, fine sir!

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Email to you, fine sir!

We're in for a set. Now, about those Rhone whites, R2...