+ Add a Comment

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Orcrist42 wrote:I am going to agree this as well.

I think the Angels resonate with fans because it is the only Doctor Who monster that you actually run into in your every day life. Run into consistently in some places (like Seattle apparently). I am glad I don't live in Europe with all their beautiful old architecture.

nuh-uh, there was that really freaky Jagrafess telling Elmo what to do on that Sesame Street thing you were watching with the Versions. What was it Elmo the Musical. Freakin' scary!!!!!

Beware the V'owls screech!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
KtCallista wrote:nuh-uh, there was that really freaky Jagrafess telling Elmo what to do on that Sesame Street thing you were watching with the Versions. What was it Elmo the Musical. Freakin' scary!!!!!

I did a screen capture for you, Elmo is about to get eaten in the opening credits. Oddly, it keeps appearing through the entire thing.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Orcrist42 wrote:I am blaming Inky for tonight's poll on shirt.woot

I had no idea! Best poll ever.

I'm just hanging out, really.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
Orcrist42 wrote:I did a screen capture for you, Elmo is about to get eaten in the opening credits. Oddly, it keeps appearing through the entire thing.

Whoa - with my youngest version probably watching this at school in his dorm I had not been exposed to EtM.

Having just finished Pizza the Musical (or PtM) is it just me or did that Interplanetary Poultry sound like a Frank Zappa/Robin Williams as the Genie in Aladdin mash-up?

Now back to the Who Poll.

I'm waiting for "Abbott and Costello Meet Dr Who and the Firefly"

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:Whoa - with my youngest version probably watching this at school in his dorm I had not been exposed to EtM.

Having just finished Pizza the Musical (or PtM) is it just me or did that Interplanetary Poultry sound like a Frank Zappa/Robin Williams as the Genie in Aladdin mash-up?

Now back to the Who Poll.

I'm waiting for "Abbott and Costello Meet Dr Who and the Firefly"

At least Elmo knows what's coming. No "Silence" like monsters there. ;)

Threadsecutioner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Threadsecutioner
inkycatz wrote:At least Elmo knows what's coming. No "Silence" like monsters there. ;)

inkycatz

Threadsecutioner wrote:

Cats and Weeping Angels: THE HIDDEN CONNECTION

Camina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Camina

Yeee, DW!

My first was Eccleston, and I would recommend that newbies to the show start there as well, or at the start of Tennant's run.

Mine seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I think Matt Smith is doing a great job and want him to stick around as long as possible!

I tend to catch up at the end of each series so I'm not pouting about end-of-episode cliffhangers, and haven't had a whole load of time to try looking up the older episodes, but I do want to.

Um. Yeah, that's my intro, I guess.

KtCallista

Camina wrote:Yeee, DW!

My first was Eccleston, and I would recommend that newbies to the show start there as well, or at the start of Tennant's run.

Mine seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I think Matt Smith is doing a great job and want him to stick around as long as possible!

I tend to catch up at the end of each series so I'm not pouting about end-of-episode cliffhangers, and haven't had a whole load of time to try looking up the older episodes, but I do want to.

Um. Yeah, that's my intro, I guess.

Hi Camina

If it makes you feel better I had a bit of a hard time with the big personality shift between Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. My friends actually bought me the first season of David Tennant to help me catch up (at that point) and to help me learn to love him as the Doctor (I have awesome friends!)

Anyway, I think all of that made the shift to Matt Smith easier. He doesn't really pull off the "I'm hundreds of years old" thing as well as other actors have, but I'm willing to accept he's entered another mental adolescence.

Did anyone else watch this month's episode?

inkycatz

Camina wrote:Yeee, DW!

We were just talking about the Father's Day episode. What did you think of it? We've got another watch along episode to discuss that's an older Doctor episode, but I thought I'd give folks a chance to check in on this one first.

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Cats and Weeping Angels: THE HIDDEN CONNECTION

Truly one of the funniest things I've seen all day.

Don't blink!

amjur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amjur

AMAZON & DR. WHO

Ok finally getting back to this. Here's the scoop. Amazon has season 5 & 6 of the new episodes included in prime which means you can stream them for free on your computer and tons of insider extras you can order (also free w/prime).

They also have the current season 7 including last Saturday's angel one which is streaming at $1.99/episode plus free insiders and a free trailer.

I didnt order the episodes as it seems silly to pay again when I already get them thru cable, but I did d/l the trailer and NOPE, no subtitles. So not sure if it was just the trailer or not - it would take some time for me to configure my settings to see what is missing.

I had watched all the fringe episodes (seasons 1-4 to catch up w/the premier) w/the roku player and we had subtitles then - so not sure if its only certain shows or not or since our TVs are newer they are picking it up.

But Hey - Dr. Who is on Amazon Video! I find that pretty cool.

If anyone is interested I can do a search and see if they have the old Dr. who episodes as well. I only went through the current shows.

Incidentally, Seasons 5, 6, & 7 are all high quality HD versions.

ETA: IMHO $1.99 is fairly reasonable. And since I've spent plenty on shows through amazon I can tell you that once you pay, you can watch it over and over w/out paying again for it. And it doesnt matter if you order online, or though the roku or on your kindle - they all sync up and you still only pay once. (this i know as i have all 3 options available to me) BTW the kindle fire is pretty awesome.
and TAXTIME BONUS: I would conclude it counts as part of your utility bill essentially on your taxes if you itemize (if you deduct your cable bill, deduct your streaming bill as well) and no I'm not a CPA so just telling you what I do every year.

ETA2 - to clarify there are movies and such that you 'rent' on amazon video that would not fall under the pay once price, but amazon tells you before you buy.

***sry for the novel

amjur

inkycatz wrote:Cats and Weeping Angels: THE HIDDEN CONNECTION

Holy Sheep - Our kitty Clio looks exactly like that! I'm keeping an eye on her now. Always suspected she had hidden powers. lol.

KtCallista

amjur wrote:AMAZON & DR. WHO

That's pretty much what we've found, but with my husband being deaf, no subtitles and paying for it is a killer... since only I would get to watch it - and then he'd be mad because he couldn't understand any of it and I did. We have actually contacted Amazon, more than once, about this issue. It is a very well known issue on deaf forums.

amjur

KtCallista wrote:That's pretty much what we've found, but with my husband being deaf, no subtitles and paying for it is a killer... since only I would get to watch it - and then he'd be mad because he couldn't understand any of it and I did. We have actually contacted Amazon, more than once, about this issue. It is a very well known issue on deaf forums.

Well that sux. I would think someone would have written an app by now at least for the kindle to pick it up. I know Divx had movie scripts you could add in for subtitles - but it was a PIA.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
amjur wrote:
If anyone is interested I can do a search and see if they have the old Dr. who episodes as well. I only went through the current shows.

Most of the previous seasons are available, free with Prime. Still no CC.

Ditto that for Torchwood (UK seasons 1-4). Not sure if the US season is there or not. Sarah Jane Chronicles as well.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Orcrist42

olcubmaster

KtCallista wrote:That's pretty much what we've found, but with my husband being deaf, no subtitles and paying for it is a killer... since only I would get to watch it - and then he'd be mad because he couldn't understand any of it and I did. We have actually contacted Amazon, more than once, about this issue. It is a very well known issue on deaf forums.

I found the following at http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/DVD_FAQ.html

"All but the first 5 BBC classic series Doctor Who DVDs to be released in North America

have DVD subtitles for the main program available in the DVD options. Those first 5 DVDs
did have closed captions for the hearing impaired encoded into them, however. Those DVDs were

Spearhead from Space, The Robots of Death, The Five Doctors Special Edition, The Caves of Androzani, and Remembrance of the Daleks. That original release of The Five Doctors Special Edition has since been withdrawn and replaced with The Five Doctors 25th Anniversary Edition which has subtitles instead.

These subtitles and closed captions do not, unfortunately, cover the extra commentary tracks by the actors and production staff."

I'm not sure if this will be of any help or even if it's new info, but it was worth a try.

inkycatz

I keep forgetting to post this!

This game is as fun as it looks, and has inspired a lot of folks making similar ones.

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote: has inspired a lot of folks making similar ones.

Yes, I am inspired. Dang it, I need a color printer.

(Also, one more reason GeekGirlCon is awesome.)

KtCallista

Orcrist42 wrote:Yes, I am inspired. Dang it, I need a color printer.

(Also, one more reason GeekGirlCon is awesome.)

I've been saying we need a color printer for a couple years!

Has anyone heard of a video service called coke and popcorn (or something of that nature?) I was talking to some local Whovians last night and that is how they keep up with the series, and I was wondering if was in category 10 or if it was legit.

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:I've been saying we need a color printer for a couple years!

Has anyone heard of a video service called coke and popcorn (or something of that nature?) I was talking to some local Whovians last night and that is how they keep up with the series, and I was wondering if was in category 10 or if it was legit.

I have no idea! Anyone?

I saw these this morning and would love to pour my juice out of a Dalek jug.

Later today! Kickin' off discussion about The Ribos Operation! Did anyone else watch/want to go ahead?

But for kicking around thoughts on October's watchalong... besides Blink, what's the scariest/creepiest Doctor Who episode(s), you think?

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote:

But for kicking around thoughts on October's watchalong... besides Blink, what's the scariest/creepiest Doctor Who episode(s), you think?

Well, we already mentioned The Empty Child (you know the gas mask people from season 9 -- and Captain Jack upstages The Doctor.)

For Doctor Who, "The Waters of Mars" (a Doctor 10 special) had a few great moments with the monsters.

Also, "Midnight" (the tour bus on the crystal planet) and "Silence in the Library" (the first time we meet River Song) were pretty good (scary) as well. Silence in the Library mad excellent use of light and particularly long dark corridors.

For scariest, I am going to go with "Countrycide" (season 1 episode 6) from Torchwood. Not for kids at all. Torchwood is for adults and that one in particular is straight up freaky.

(Doctor who suffers a little from "the main character will always survive at the end - and do something fantastic" syndrome and so there are a lot of Red Shirt extras to increase the threat level. The companions are frequently in trouble as well. Overall though, the ones that really stick are when the monster gets under your skin and scares you regardless of what the Doctor does.)

KtCallista

Orcrist42 wrote:Well, we already mentioned The Empty Child (you know the gas mask people from season 9 -- and Captain Jack upstages The Doctor.)

For Doctor Who, "The Waters of Mars" (a Doctor 10 special) had a few great moments with the monsters.

Also, "Midnight" (the tour bus on the crystal planet) and "Silence in the Library" (the first time we meet River Song) were pretty good (scary) as well. Silence in the Library mad excellent use of light and particularly long dark corridors.

For scariest, I am going to go with "Countrycide" (season 1 episode 6) from Torchwood as the scariest. That one isn't for kids at all. Torchwood is for adults and that one in particular is straight up freaky.

(Doctor who suffers a little from "the main character will always survive at the end - and do something fantastic" syndrome and so there are a lot of Red Shirt extras to increase the threat level. The companions are frequently in trouble as well. Overall though, the ones that really stick are when the monster gets under your skin and scares you regardless of what the Doctor does.)

Sure sure, the Library was definitely freaky on the first watch and I did get good at avoiding the shadows for a while.

Saturday's PBS episode "Night Terrors" was pretty freaky. I mean that doll house is just downright scary! The dolls are freaky and scary without them even moving or turning Amy into one of them!

Orc is right though, it's hard to be truly terrified when the Doctor and his companion are fairly well guaranteed to survive. Not that I want them to fail, but you know.

I don't think the Daleks and the Cybermen are as scary as they are formidable.

Mavyn

inkycatz wrote:But for kicking around thoughts on October's watchalong... besides Blink, what's the scariest/creepiest Doctor Who episode(s), you think?

Silence in the Library is good.

olcubmaster

KtCallista wrote:I've been saying we need a color printer for a couple years!

I found this via google this morning and it may be what they were discussing.

http://www.livestream.com/tvpopcornandacoke

I am at work and don't have the time to explore the site right now so if anyone knows more about the site please share!

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

http://www.cokeandpopcorn.com/watch-doctor-who-online.php

not necessarily SFW, mostly by the nature of the childish posts around the site, And I probably wouldn't trust the advertising either, but click at your own risk.

I'm assuming it's quite illegal to host TV like this, so will likely be removed from the interwebs at a point in the near future.

olcubmaster

dougall wrote:http://www.cokeandpopcorn.com/watch-doctor-who-online.php

not necessarily SFW, mostly by the nature of the childish posts around the site, And I probably wouldn't trust the advertising either, but click at your own risk.

I'm assuming it's quite illegal to host TV like this, so will likely be removed from the interwebs at a point in the near future.

I'd agree that this was the one as opposed to one I found. And yeah - pretty much looks like a pirate broadcast service. And not in a fun pirate way.

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:I'd agree that this was the one as opposed to one I found. And yeah - pretty much looks like a pirate broadcast service. And not in a fun pirate way.

Bad pirates are bad and likely to vanish very quickly.

Wouldn't want people relying on that!

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Bad pirates are bad and likely to vanish very quickly.

Wouldn't want people relying on that!

Off topic but speaking of bad pirates, did anyone catch the Bar Rescue episode about the Piratz Tavern? It's a local adult refreshment oasis I've never visited.

Meanwhile, back in the Tardis...

inkycatz

Doctor: (getting irritated) "It's either Romana, or Fred!"
Romana: "All right, call me Fred."
Doctor: "Good. Come on, Romana."
The Ribos Operation

To restore the balance of the cosmos, the White Guardian requires the Key to Time, but it has been broken into six disguised segments and scattered throughout time and space.

It is also the introduction of Romana! Well, Romana I aka Mary Tamm.

Things I liked:
- the jethryk prop
- Romana's frilly coat seemed very ice queen like, which was probably exactly what they were aiming for (both in style and characterization)
- the prologue which set everything up (although the huge wicker chair made me lol, as if the Guardian was on summer holidays and beamed in from a beach)
- the fact they're "from the North" when questioned (reminded me of one of 9's favorite lines: "Lots of places have a North!")

I thought it engaging enough, and the con element was pulled off pretty nicely. Although there was a lot of what I'd call "talky talky", at least it was interesting dialogue that didn't seem entirely wasted.

So that's what I thought, but I haven't entirely warmed up to this version of Romana.

How about you all?

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser

I finally got to watch Blink and the last one with the ponds. My friend in Ferndale (who introduced me to the doctor) had them on DVD. I still like Tom Baker the best. Maybe because he was my first Doctor. I found him really believable as a time traveller who was centuries old.

dougall

WARNING.....

spoilers... clicking this link may well spoil something,

if you haven't watched the recent episodes, don't click.

if you're having an emotional kind of day, don't click

if you're prone to getting 'something in your eye' don't click

But, if you have kleenex handy

Click Here

and don't say I didn't warn you.

Buy yes, you are so very, very welcome.

Mavyn

^^

He's serious. But it's good. Despite not caring for Amy much, I quite liked Brian, so this is good. Watch it once you see the last episode of the year.

inkycatz

dougall wrote:Buy yes, you are so very, very welcome.

Awwwwwww! What a nice bit of closure.

Orcrist42

Working our way through Season 2 again. Tonight the versions get to see Doctor 10 in "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit". Maybe "Love & Monsters" if we have enough time, shich is one of my favorite silly/sad episodes.

KtCallista

Orcrist42 wrote:Working our way through Season 2 again. Tonight the versions get to see Doctor 10 in "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit". Maybe "Love & Monsters" if we have enough time, shich is one of my favorite silly/sad episodes.

Ver1 liked the scary ones, not so much Love and Monsters

Ver2 didn't like the super scary ones, but didn't really get Love and Monsters since the Doctor and Rose weren't in it enough.

Ver3 just likes to yell "Doctor Who!!!!!!!"

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

I am a latecomer to this thread, but an avid fan from Eccleston on, a Tennant FANATIC, and Smith-tolerant because I want to see him regenerate as Tennant when this run's done. I am working my way backwards through the older Dr's as I find and can afford them.

I have to throw out here (and I have not read all 8 pages of posts, so I'm SURE I'm sticking my foot in my mouth) that I don't think Donna's granddad Wilfred got nearly enough credit. I LOVED THAT MAN!!! I know he is the one that knocked 4 times, but STILL....one of my absolute favorite characters. Beat out a couple of "companions" in the "favorites" list IMO.

inkycatz

shushine999 wrote:I am a latecomer to this thread,

Better late than never!

Looking forward to your thoughts on past Doctors!

dougall

Seeing as we're on a break,

and seeing as there's a picture of Bernard Cribbins a few inches up your screen.

I was going to share some Wombles, but I figured this might be enjoyed more by those who haven't seen it.

I am not rewatching the whole thing, but instinct says there may well be some strong language.

therefore this clip is being rated NSFW for strong language, colorful language and the singing of coldplay.