+ Add a Comment

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Ha, we can wait on spoilers. Or just tag them well.

I'm just hanging out, really.

inkycatz

Angel update: They appear to be behaving.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

BLINK!

inkycatz

dougall wrote:BLINK!

dougall

Possible Spoilers?

there is a video interview linked in there though, if you might be tempted.

mtrlgrl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mtrlgrl

I am a brand new Doctor Who fan. Just started watching about a week ago. I started with the Titanic special with David Tennant (series 3, ep 0) because that is the earliest video on Xfinity. But Amazon Prime has a lot of Doctor Who, so I up jumping all over time, so to speak Still haven't seen any old/classic ones yet.

inkycatz

mtrlgrl wrote:I am a brand new Doctor Who fan. Just started watching about a week ago. I started with the Titanic special with David Tennant (series 3, ep 0) because that is the earliest video on Xfinity. But Amazon Prime has a lot of Doctor Who, so I up jumping all over time, so to speak Still haven't seen any old/classic ones yet.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey! (That'll make sense eventually for you.)

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
mtrlgrl wrote:I am a brand new Doctor Who fan. Just started watching about a week ago. I started with the Titanic special with David Tennant (series 3, ep 0) because that is the earliest video on Xfinity. But Amazon Prime has a lot of Doctor Who, so I up jumping all over time, so to speak Still haven't seen any old/classic ones yet.

Welcome to the Inky's Blue Box and don't worry - skipping about is to be expected when you're dealing with a series that is nearing 50 years old.

While I've had BBC America, my provider just added the HD channel and I filled my DVR with back episodes during the pre-season-7-launch marathon. I'm seeing stuff from a few years ago I didn't know I missed (Amy's Choice - just watched for the first time Tuesday night! Man, do I got sum questions about that one!)

Anyway - enjoy the ride and share what ya see (if you remember seeing it after you're no longer looking at it)

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:Anyway - enjoy the ride and share what ya see (if you remember seeing it after you're no longer looking at it)

We also have cookies. Well, pictures of cookies. (Is the image of a cookie a cookie?)

ps. I'd say it's cool to ask away about Amy's Choice, but I'd maybe tag the top of the post SPOILERS INSIDE or something so folks who haven't seen it can zing by. (Does that sound good to the thread regulars?)

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Mildly interesting bit of trivia about the current "watch along" story. David Warwick, who played Kimus in The Pirate Planet with Tom Baker, also played the Police Commissioner in Army of Ghosts with David Tennant.

inkycatz

Two things today for your consideration, fellow Whovians -

The first, even though I know they're leaving, I am getting the feeling I want to put off watching the Ponds departure episode as much as possible.

Why is this?

The second, so excited to kick off watchalong discussion on Monday! (It will have spoilers, for these are old episodes!)

Now, please enjoy the picture of Doctors in cat form:

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
inkycatz wrote:We also have cookies. Well, pictures of cookies. (Is the image of a cookie a cookie?)

ps. I'd say it's cool to ask away about Amy's Choice, but I'd maybe tag the top of the post SPOILERS INSIDE or something so folks who haven't seen it can zing by. (Does that sound good to the thread regulars?)

I think Orc and I are on the biggest of the delays (and we are ahead this year because we won DVDs). PBS just showed Demon's Run for the first time ever. I've pulled out the DVDs more than once to avoid the anguish of waiting a week. I wish PBS could catch up more. It was 2 years behind at one point, but I think BBC America holds rights for a year so I don't think that will happen. If only there was an online option for a reasonable price WITH SUBTITLES!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

mtrlgrl

inkycatz wrote:Two things today for your consideration, fellow Whovians -

The first, even though I know they're leaving, I am getting the feeling I want to put off watching the Ponds departure episode as much as possible.

Why is this?

The second, so excited to kick off watchalong discussion on Monday! (It will have spoilers, for these are old episodes!)

Now, please enjoy the picture of Doctors in cat form:

Cookies, cats, and Doctor Who. I think I'm gonna like it here!

ugatakitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ugatakitty
inkycatz wrote:Ah perfect! Help dname find a good episode to start with! It's a fun show with lots of history!

My favorite "first episode" to recommend is "Blink." One, it's told from the point of view of Sally Sparrow, who'd never met The Doctor. The neophyte gets to discover The Doctor along with Sally. Two, it features the Lonely Assassins/Weeping Angels--easily the most badass villains EVER (and the only psychopaths to kill you nicely). Three, it's an amazing story--some of the best writing and acting ever! What lines: "Life is short and you are hot." "The angels have the phone box." "Don't blink." I could go on and on....

amjur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amjur
ugatakitty wrote:My favorite "first episode" to recommend is "Blink." One, it's told from the point of view of Sally Sparrow, who'd never met The Doctor. The neophyte gets to discover The Doctor along with Sally. Two, it features the Lonely Assassins/Weeping Angels--easily the most badass villains EVER (and the only psychopaths to kill you nicely). Three, it's an amazing story--some of the best writing and acting ever! What lines: "Life is short and you are hot." "The angels have the phone box." "Don't blink." I could go on and on....

The last few season have been incredible imo. Blink is definitely one of my all time favorites - tied or second behind that is "Vincent & the Doctor" - every time I watch it I still bawl like a baby. If you havent seen it yet - certainly worth a seek and find.

amjur

KtCallista wrote:I think Orc and I are on the biggest of the delays (and we are ahead this year because we won DVDs). PBS just showed Demon's Run for the first time ever. I've pulled out the DVDs more than once to avoid the anguish of waiting a week. I wish PBS could catch up more. It was 2 years behind at one point, but I think BBC America holds rights for a year so I don't think that will happen. If only there was an online option for a reasonable price WITH SUBTITLES!

What about Amazon video? They stream doctor who - I know some of the older seasons are free - they have the newest ones -- I'll check the price on my ROKU - and I would suggest getting a ROKU for sure if you dont have it already. just for the amazon channel alone - woot had the refurbished device that I picked up for like $50 then my amazon prime membership is $75/year (less than a month of cable) and we have something like 10k free movies now.
EDITED to add: I have subtitles when watching through the ROKU because we set our TV menu to CC.

mtrlgrl

ugatakitty wrote:My favorite "first episode" to recommend is "Blink." One, it's told from the point of view of Sally Sparrow, who'd never met The Doctor. The neophyte gets to discover The Doctor along with Sally. Two, it features the Lonely Assassins/Weeping Angels--easily the most badass villains EVER (and the only psychopaths to kill you nicely). Three, it's an amazing story--some of the best writing and acting ever! What lines: "Life is short and you are hot." "The angels have the phone box." "Don't blink." I could go on and on....

I just watched Blink for the first time. A friend suggested I watch it before watching tonight's new episode. I will never look at angels the same way again. But I was wondering: instead of blinking, couldn't someone just wink one eye at a time? I couldn't go without blinking.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

Does anyone know why this is in the TARDIS? It's from tonight's episode (don't worry, no spoilers in the image), and I don't recall seeing it before. It's on the center console.

KtCallista

amjur wrote:What about Amazon video? They stream doctor who - I know some of the older seasons are free - they have the newest ones -- I'll check the price on my ROKU - and I would suggest getting a ROKU for sure if you dont have it already. just for the amazon channel alone - woot had the refurbished device that I picked up for like $50 then my amazon prime membership is $75/year (less than a month of cable) and we have something like 10k free movies now.
EDITED to add: I have subtitles when watching through the ROKU because we set our TV menu to CC.

Amazon does not provide subtitles for any english language videos. Our TV does not pick up any subtitles, that would require a code sent from Amazon or a TV connection that has the subtitle information, neither of which is available to us. Amazon currently refuses to provide this service because they don't want to deal with the cost (officially they have no way of insuring subtitles will work on all the apps, but that does not stop Netflix or Hulu from trying.)

Additionally, the new videos are not on the prime service when I last checked.

amjur

KtCallista wrote:Amazon does not provide subtitles for any english language videos. Our TV does not pick up any subtitles, that would require a code sent from Amazon or a TV connection that has the subtitle information, neither of which is available to us. Amazon currently refuses to provide this service because they don't want to deal with the cost (officially they have no way of insuring subtitles will work on all the apps, but that does not stop Netflix or Hulu from trying.)

Additionally, the new videos are not on the prime service when I last checked.

Ok this means I am going to have to actually order one through amazon now - I swear last time I was surfing shows they had the same doctor carrying amy image as the current season - unless I was hallucinating - which is worrisome. lol.
As its uber early/late and dh has a football game tomorrow - it will proally be early afternoon before I get to it. But I'm on a mission now.

amjur

rprebel wrote:Does anyone know why this is in the TARDIS? It's from tonight's episode (don't worry, no spoilers in the image), and I don't recall seeing it before. It's on the center console.

Yeah, I saw that- but I just shrugged it off as something I hadnt noticed before. Maybe its a clue for next season?

inkycatz

rprebel wrote:Does anyone know why this is in the TARDIS? It's from tonight's episode (don't worry, no spoilers in the image), and I don't recall seeing it before. It's on the center console.

Ideally, I'd like to think it was just a reflective surface, but suspicious me thinks it could mean something. Then again, the closeup on Rory's badge in The Eleventh Hour meant nothing, so who knows.

This weekend was very difficult to be online because of the high spoiler nature of the most recent episode. I ended up watching it Sunday morning, since The Intern felt we needed to be up at 6:15am.

I will say in a spoiler free way, that perhaps this was the episode I'd been looking for all season. It was intriguing (although the intro sequence was a bit too keen on giving away mostly what to expect), it made excellent use of the characters (which is to say one character who had been demonstrating some awfully annoying traits was super toned down), and while if you think about it really hard there's a few things that don't make sense at all - why are you thinking that hard? This is Doctor Who! Chill, enjoy!

Additionally the callback to The Eleventh Hour wasn't really a surprise and had been more or less figured out by many people, but it was sweet and sentimental enough I was glad it was a detail that hadn't been forgotten about.

I'm checking in with a solid A on this one. I will miss the Ponds and their completely messed up timeline, wibby wobbly life. I am looking forward to the shots I've seen of the Christmas special and what this new companion brings to the table!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Yay for the new companion!

Liked the episode, not sorry to see the Ponds go, though seeing the Doctor hurt was tough. Tennant showed that pain without making it seem like a weakness. Not sure Smith pulled that off.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

David Tennant is my favorite, but mostly just because he is all sorts of sexy. Plus he had the best companions: Sarah Jane, Martha Jones, Astrid Peth & Lady de Souza. I actually remember when the actress that played Sarah Jane (Elizabeth Sladen) passed away,and would record her spin off series as well. I abhor the new doctor and as such have refused to watch much of his series.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

To this day I still get rigid whenever I walk past an angel statue. That episode put a fear in me that for darn sure was lasting. I won't watch it if its dark/rainy outside. Just sitting here thinking about the episode gives me chills. That said, I have to agree it was one heck of an episode.

inkycatz

mattryan wrote:To this day I still get rigid whenever I walk past an angel statue.

I look twice, and yes, I've taken to counting the statues across the street from the office.

They just seem less scary on repeated exposure tho.

olcubmaster

I'm with you Inky - it was hard to sit quietly afterwards and try to figure out what to say and not say.

I would have cringed if I had been exposed to a spoiler before this one and appreciate the care and caution of all in masking them.

This was indeed an A in my book as well. That said I'm still not too sure how far to go here, but...

Nice to see the maturing bonds of marriage so well played.

Quick check.

Who drives a Rolls?

Who's Line Is It?

A paradox paradox (or is it a pair of paradox?).

Obligatory whine for 7.5 - where was the Stay-Puft man when we needed him?

Actual Obligatory whine for 7.5: to be edited in as soon as I remember what it was. It might have been the paradox paradox. I'm old and forgetful, so get off my lawn!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
inkycatz wrote:I look twice, and yes, I've taken to counting the statues across the street from the office.

They just seem less scary on repeated exposure tho.

Just wait till the grey winter days move in and you will be counting/ looking a lot more frequently.

Thanks for the no spoilers. I'll see it as soon as I can.

Of course, everyone knows the Ponds leave this season and a new companion starts, BBC has been advertising (informing fans) the heck out of that.

I am sure I'll like the new companion eventually. I will miss the married couple on the Tardis angle though.

I was sad when they picked the new companion though. There seems to be a string of never ending "young females from earth" that the Doctor invites along. One of these days he needs someone his match in life experience. Preferably with a witty tongue.

We had one older companion in the form of Donna's grandpa Wilfred, but he was mostly a bumbling old codger. Queen Elizabeth in Tooth and Claw was awesome, but she wasn't a companion.

Can you imagine Matt Smith trying to play opposite Judi Dench or Maggie Smith, even if it's just for a short story arc? (Maybe John Cleese if I had to pick a guy.)

olcubmaster

Orcrist42 wrote: There seems to be a string of never ending "young females from earth" that the Doctor invites along. One of these days he needs someone his match in life experience. Preferably with a witty tongue.

Can you say "Hello, sweety!"?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:
A paradox paradox (or is it a pair of paradox?).

Given time paradoxes are a good theme of the day, who knew that Father's Day would be such a great place to start?

2005 spoilers ahead, y'all!

Here's the episode synopsis: Rose was just a baby in 1987 when her father, Pete Tyler, was killed by a car. So Doctor Who takes her back to the year in question, to the spot where the accident happened. Mayhem ensues, because it wouldn't be a good episode without it.

So up for discussion, in my mind:
1. Why did the Doctor let her go back after the her original attempt to 'be there' failed? Seriously, I get why he got mad, but he was the one who was showing off saying he could take her anywhere.
2. Why did the Reapers only appear for this episode and then seem forgotten?
3. Was the Doctor really dead/gone or did Pete have to fix the timeline?
4. Given what Jackie told Rose at the end that "no one knows who she was", is she lying to little Rose, or was the timeline fixed somehow so that she really doesn't know?

Thoughts?

dougall

Orcrist42 wrote:
Can you imagine Matt Smith trying to play opposite Judi Dench or Maggie Smith, even if it's just for a short story arc? (Maybe John Cleese if I had to pick a guy.)

So who else would people like to see in Who episodes?

I'm looking forward to Diana Rigg next year still, but can't help thinking of other folks I'd like to see parts, big or small.

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:Given time paradoxes are a good theme of the day, who knew that Father's Day would be such a great place to start?

2005 spoilers ahead, y'all!

Here's the episode synopsis: Rose was just a baby in 1987 when her father, Pete Tyler, was killed by a car. So Doctor Who takes her back to the year in question, to the spot where the accident happened. Mayhem ensues, because it wouldn't be a good episode without it.

So up for discussion, in my mind:
1. Why did the Doctor let her go back after the her original attempt to 'be there' failed? Seriously, I get why he got mad, but he was the one who was showing off saying he could take her anywhere.
2. Why did the Reapers only appear for this episode and then seem forgotten?
3. Was the Doctor really dead/gone or did Pete have to fix the timeline?
4. Given what Jackie told Rose at the end that "no one knows who she was", is she lying to little Rose, or was the timeline fixed somehow so that she really doesn't know?

Thoughts?

Ok, watched this with the versions. This episode left more "what really happened"s than any before it. We see that the story Jackie tells is different, and we come back (spoilers) to Rose having been the mystery girl Jackie saw in a later episode. The monsters seemed like a desperate push to make the whole thing a bit scary. And why is Pete Tyler so important that he can't be saved? The Doctor saves random people all the time. It could be argued that having a father would have changed Rose so much she wouldn't have met the Doctor and therefore wouldn't become the Bad Wolf, but it is highly inconsistent within the Who Universe.

It was a great introduction to the buried nobility of Pete's character, especially since he comes back in the next season. As a whole though, other than the Doctor trying to show off, and then getting mad at Rose, it's a bit abstract even for that universe.

amjur

mattryan wrote:To this day I still get rigid whenever I walk past an angel statue. That episode put a fear in me that for darn sure was lasting. I won't watch it if its dark/rainy outside. Just sitting here thinking about the episode gives me chills. That said, I have to agree it was one heck of an episode.

I really want to say this, but not sure how to w/out giving it away - so WARNING vague phrasing that might give too much away...

This episode pretty much ruined any chance of me ever visiting a certain somewhere. And no it never occurred to me before.

What did occur to me - plenty of bldgs have been made throughout time w/gargoyles for protection - a sentiment always considered superstitious in this culture - I think the blink mythology should have included a pact at one time between people and the angels. kwim?

KtCallista

olcubmaster wrote:Can you say "Hello, sweety!"?

That would be awesome, but with her being in prison for most of her existence is that something that would happen? Especially with them traveling in opposite directions in time, more or less?

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:That would be awesome, but with her being in prison for most of her existence is that something that would happen? Especially with them traveling in opposite directions in time, more or less?

I figure if the Doctor can promise people they'd be back in "five minutes before they left", it can't be that hard. Now mind you, not that it always happens that way...

KtCallista

amjur wrote:I really want to say this, but not sure how to w/out giving it away - so WARNING vague phrasing that might give too much away...

This episode pretty much ruined any chance of me ever visiting a certain somewhere. And no it never occurred to me before.

What did occur to me - plenty of bldgs have been made throughout time w/gargoyles for protection - a sentiment always considered superstitious in this culture - I think the blink mythology should have included a pact at one time between people and the angels. kwim?

Not having seen the latest Angels episode...

I was a bit sad when they lost the (displace in time) ability and started killing victims. Still scary as anything. I do find the gas mask creatures of Season 1 scariest (there is something about them asking for their Mummy *shudder*) The Angels are definitely right under that though. I'm not sure if I'll let the kids watch Blink... goodness we'll be there soon!

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:I do find the gas mask creatures of Season 1 scariest (there is something about them asking for their Mummy *shudder*)

Agreed, the Angels are scary but the gas mask creatures are downright unsettling.

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:Agreed, the Angels are scary but the gas mask creatures are downright unsettling.

It doesn't help that the first episode of New Doctor Who I ever saw was the first half of the gas mask creatures. I was at my grandma's house and could barely sleep that night. I thought all the Whovians I knew were absolutely nuts!

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote:Agreed, the Angels are scary but the gas mask creatures are downright unsettling.

I am going to agree this as well.

I think the Angels resonate with fans because it is the only Doctor Who monster that you actually run into in your every day life. Run into consistently in some places (like Seattle apparently). I am glad I don't live in Europe with all their beautiful old architecture.

Orcrist42

I am blaming Inky for tonight's poll on shirt.woot