Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

That's awesome. You should set a flying Monkey to watch out the window for you.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Mavyn wrote:That's awesome. You should set a flying Monkey to watch out the window for you.

Will do!

Oh hey, look at this TARDIS quilt!

I'm just hanging out, really.

amjur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amjur
inkycatz wrote:(The image of an angel is an angel!)

I dont think it queued up the right spot - but I'm pretty sure I know what scene you are referring to w/River song vs the Dalek.

OOh page 5!

amjur

Ok - that quilt link just reinforced my goal of getting my act in order and making stuff. I have oodles of fun projects sitting in a box that need attention (all those t-shirts conversion ideas I see on pinterest mostly).
I'm still pining for these: http://tinyurl.com/9gys95l
arent these just the coolest. Man i wish I could draw.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Ok - that quilt link just reinforced my goal of getting my act in order and making stuff. I have oodles of fun projects sitting in a box that need attention (all those t-shirts conversion ideas I see on pinterest mostly).
I'm still pining for these: http://tinyurl.com/9gys95l
arent these just the coolest. Man i wish I could draw.

Those are absolutely the coolest things. I would wear those with everything. I would INVENT outfits for those.

amjur wrote:I dont think it queued up the right spot - but I'm pretty sure I know what scene you are referring to w/River song vs the Dalek.

OOh page 5!

Maybe we need a page top signifier!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

What part of the "an image of an Angel IS an Angel" don't you people understand!?!

I don't want to see pictures of your Weeping Angels all over the internet waiting to kill me when I blink. Keep it in your own back yard.

and Don't Blink, obviously.

(Also, your office looks out on a vacant lot thing? Where is the fancy downtown view of the sound?)

Mavyn

If you've been VERY good this year, you might want to put this on your Christmas list.

I suspect I was far too naughty.

inkycatz

Orcrist42 wrote:(Also, your office looks out on a vacant lot thing? Where is the fancy downtown view of the sound?)

It's not really a vacant lot, it's the back of some business, likely some 'yard furniture' store or something. I've never really bothered to look.

There are a lot of buildings that make up the campus. Which is to say if you go upstairs and to the other side of the floor you can see the Space Needle.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

I haven't gone back to check,

but did I hear him say 1200?

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel
dougall wrote:I haven't gone back to check,

but did I hear him say 1200?

You did. Apparently, he's been traveling alone for a little while without the camera crew.

No big deal. Just 3 centuries.

amjur

rprebel wrote:You did. Apparently, he's been traveling alone for a little while without the camera crew.

Seriously - that's a big jump. And I am not liking this Amy being more like the doctor than the doctor is.
Or is he's been hiding out since everyone in the universe is supposed to believe he's died at 900 yrs?

dougall

rprebel wrote:You did. Apparently, he's been traveling alone for a little while without the camera crew.

or the BBC got their reels out of order...

fancy that :-o

dougall

amjur wrote:Seriously - that's a big jump. And I am not liking this Amy being more like the doctor than the doctor is.
Or is he's been hiding out since everyone in the universe is supposed to believe he's died at 900 yrs?

I'm not sure when his age was last stated, to be honest; I want to say during the Rose years.

so this jump in years could have happened at any time, right?

or should I watch all of the seasons from 2005 onwards, to see when it's mentioned.

hmmm!

inkycatz

dougall wrote:
hmmm!

I never vote against a rewatch, but I was sure it came up in The Impossible Astronaut.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel
dougall wrote:I'm not sure when his age was last stated, to be honest; I want to say during the Rose years.

so this jump in years could have happened at any time, right?

or should I watch all of the seasons from 2005 onwards, to see when it's mentioned.

hmmm!

He's stated his age a few times since then, according to the wiki. Stephen Moffatt says he doesn't really know his age. That makes sense. I'd stop keeping up with it after a few centuries too.

amjur

inkycatz wrote:I never vote against a rewatch, but I was sure it came up in The Impossible Astronaut.

This is how I remember it - somewhere between the two impossible astronaut episode parts he's 700 when he gets shot by River - but the doctor leaving all the notes is 200 yrs older - one of the ways Amy figures out there are 2 of them (as the doctor states both ages).
So to jump to 1200 seems quite a stretch - and we still are not sure where Amy/Rory are in that - and so supposedly he has not regenerated all this time either.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
amjur wrote:This is how I remember it - somewhere between the two impossible astronaut episode parts he's 700 when he gets shot by River - but the doctor leaving all the notes is 200 yrs older - one of the ways Amy figures out there are 2 of them (as the doctor states both ages).
So to jump to 1200 seems quite a stretch - and we still are not sure where Amy/Rory are in that - and so supposedly he has not regenerated all this time either.

I don't remember him ever saying he was less than 900, since he is 900 when he picks up Rose, and ages incrementally from that point with the seasons every time it's mentioned in story. Until the Impossible Astronaut. Then he tells Amy he's what 1190 or something (I'd have to look) and she says, but it's been about 200 years since you've seen us, and his reply is that he's been busy. However, several times during the season it's remarked that in order to be a time traveler you have to lie, and that the Doctor lies a lot, especially to keep timelines straight.

Beware the V'owls screech!

inkycatz

Rule #1: The Doctor lies!

(Even though it is annoying.)

So what did everyone think of A Town Called Mercy? Strangely enough, I liked it slightly better than the dinosaurs. Sure it was a bit flawed here and there, but the music was really spot on, which I think helped. Maybe I'm still getting used to this whole 'no arc' (at least one we're admitting to openly) thing.

Next up, The Power of Three

BBC version

BBC America version

dougall

inkycatz

dougall wrote:Discuss

So the episode will be in three parts, not two? ;)

dougall

inkycatz wrote:So the episode will be in three parts, not two? ;)

I was hoping a reboot back to deeper roots, and a more feeble attempt of puppetry.

inkycatz

dougall wrote:I was hoping a reboot back to deeper roots, and a more feeble attempt of puppetry.

The TARDIS will become precious, not sexy.

dougall

inkycatz wrote:The TARDIS will become precious, not sexy.

pssshhhhh, who wants a precious TARDIS?

inkycatz

dougall wrote:pssshhhhh, who wants a precious TARDIS?

I could be convinced.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster
inkycatz wrote:Rule #1: The Doctor lies!

So what did everyone think of A Town Called Mercy? Strangely enough, I liked it slightly better than the dinosaurs. Sure it was a bit flawed here and there, but the music was really spot on, which I think helped. Maybe I'm still getting used to this whole 'no arc' (at least one we're admitting to openly) thing.

BBC version

BBC America version

I'm with you once again on this one. Things are on an upward slope since 7.1 and I think I'm beginning to get a (false) sense of what's going on this season....the Doctor may well be a madman with a box.

As for 7.3: The music seemed like an homage to Firefly.

Favorite line without becoming a spoiler, "...he wants you to respect his life choices!"

Short and sweet wrap up as I await to lose power due to the incoming storm: I grade this one an A.

BTW - love the piratecat avatar inky!

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Mavyn

He's just grumpy that Doctor Who is seen as serious.

dougall

inkycatz wrote:
I could be convinced.

It's so big on the inside... looks more like a napkin ring.

and the one with emeralds

is far cooler, and ~$400

dougall

Mavyn wrote:He's just grumpy that Doctor Who is seen as serious.

psshhhhhhhhh

Serious? My Aunt Sally... :p

Mavyn

dougall wrote:psshhhhhhhhh

Serious? My Aunt Sally... :p

Says the man who griped that 'americans are ruining it by thinking the Doctor is serious'.

:P

dougall

Mavyn wrote:Says the man who griped that 'americans are ruining it by thinking the Doctor is serious'.

:P

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Lightbulbs have features in all episodes of the current season so far... The xmas special must be an epic face off between Edison and Tesla.

(You read it here first!)

inkycatz

dougall wrote:Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Lightbulbs have features in all episodes of the current season so far... The xmas special must be an epic face off between Edison and Tesla.

(You read it here first!)

Christmas gets referenced a lot too.

dougall

inkycatz wrote:Christmas gets referenced a lot too.

when else would you have an xmas special?

srsly!

ashleywinston01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashleywinston01
J83pc wrote:First Doctor: I started watching the new series, with Chris Eccleston, a couple years ago. Netflix wasn't very helpful with linking the Christmas specials in with the fifth and sixth series, however, and once Matt Smith came on, I was baffled as to where David had gone.

Favorite Doctor: My favorite Doctor is obviously Ten — clever, sweet, and gorgeous. He and Donna were fantastic together.

Favorite Writer: I do believe as far as guest, and future, writers go, Moffatt wrote it best — "Blink" and "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" are two of my all-time favorite stories.

I wanted to start watching the show, but watched the first episode and didn't get the appeal. My brother-in-law told me to watch "Blink." That one got me hooked and I went back and watched them all.

amjur

dougall wrote:It's so big on the inside... looks more like a napkin ring.

and the one with emeralds

is far cooler, and ~$400

Oh shizzle - forgot about that ring. I think I might hafta put that on the xmas/bday list and convince my husband he needs to make up for holidays big time -- now how to get him in trouble enough to believe me? lol.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Oh shizzle - forgot about that ring. I think I might hafta put that on the xmas/bday list and convince my husband he needs to make up for holidays big time -- now how to get him in trouble enough to believe me? lol.

Is there an anniversary that's been forgotten?

inkycatz

ashleywinston01 wrote:I wanted to start watching the show, but watched the first episode and didn't get the appeal. My brother-in-law told me to watch "Blink." That one got me hooked and I went back and watched them all.

That's wonderful! Welcome to the thread!

inkycatz

This morning I counted the "angels". Angel #2 is in front of the pack. Angel #9 is still slightly apart from the rest.

Updates as the situation warrants - it's a little overcast today. (Which is likely to burn off by noon.)

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Rule #1: The Doctor lies!

I just remembered one more observation I had about Town Called Mercy (AKA 7.3).

Was I the only one that had a flashback to a scene from a Martin Short/Steve Martin/Chevy Chase film?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:I just remembered one more observation I had about Town Called Mercy (AKA 7.3).

Was I the only one that had a flashback to a scene from a Martin Short/Steve Martin/Chevy Chase film?

Maybe? I'm not the best person to ask, as my movie knowledge tends to be a bit iffy.

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Maybe? I'm not the best person to ask, as my movie knowledge tends to be a bit iffy.

I really didn't mean to single you out...sorry.

Search the three actors together and odds are they only had one film in common. Those familiar with it (AKA old geezers) may recognize a scene near the end.