inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
olcubmaster wrote:And there were dinosaurs – on a spaceship!

All in all a step up from 7.1 and an A in my book.

I agree it was a definite step up, although some things bugged me (do we know what year it is for Amy and Rory now, for example?) - they were mostly small things.

I've got a watchalong tonight with some friends, so I may have more thoughts tomorrow.

Edited in, today's Who find- fabric!

I'm just hanging out, really.

russchott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages russchott
inkycatz wrote:WATCH ALONG ALERT

I'm thinking of watching City of Death, this weekend.

Oh My Failing Grades!. Still my personal fave from the old series. Written by Douglas Adams (under a penname) and watch carefully for a cameo from a python-er

amjur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amjur
inkycatz wrote:I agree it was a definite step up, although some things bugged me (do we know what year it is for Amy and Rory now, for example?) - they were mostly small things.

I've got a watchalong tonight with some friends, so I may have more thoughts tomorrow.

Awesome! - must buy and make something. on another note : is it strange that I am excited we've finally made it off of page 3?

shimain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimain

My first Doctor was Tom Baker, when Doctor Who debuted in the US around 1977. The first ep I had seen was Mask of Mandragora. I actually thought it was crap. Dad had been watching it, and all I wanted to do was watch my Saturday morning cartoons and I had to watch some funky looking English guy with Dad.
Later, in high school I started watching again and then fell in love with it. Started with the tail end of Davidson and then Colin Baker. Went on a search of all older eps- not easy in early VCR days!
Fell out when McCoy came in, could not get into him or his companion Mel (who made my ears bleed!).
The movie and sbusequent re-boot has made life liveable!
Liked Ecclston and LOVED Tennant. But Smith. Didn't like him until this season. Well, still don't like him, Amy or Rory but this season is at least tolerable.
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a lot of fun.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
inkycatz wrote:

Ooh. Now I need to find a quilt pattern.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Awesome! - must buy and make something. on another note : is it strange that I am excited we've finally made it off of page 3?

Spoonflower has a ridiculous (in the awesome way) amount of Doctor Who/TARDIS fabric prints, I've discovered.

I'm excited too. It feels a little like we've carved a good home here in EBW, but I've always known our thread is bigger on the inside!

Did not make it to the rewatch last night, but some of the key things that struck me about the episode:

1. Amy, clearly applying her knowledge to figure out what's going on. This is the Amy I like, the one that isn't as starry eyed as say, The Beast Below, but still can figure out what's going on all the same. Did anyone else notice how much like the Doctor she sounded?

2. Rory's dad rocks! But then, Mark Williams is good at those dad roles, as Harry Potter demonstrates. I would have loved to see the Elder Ponds, but given that's not going to happen, alas, there's always fanfic. ;) Imagine though how much "oh, Amy's not imagining it all" damage could be repaired if they found themselves on a trip somehow!

As a reminder, still doing this month's watchalongs if anyone's feeling non-Smithy. We'll kick those off and that discussion in a couple weeks, on October 1.

inkycatz

A Town Called Mercy

Of all the snippets and bits in the teaser trailers leading up to the season, I'm genuinely excited about this one. Daleks, yeah, cool. Dinosaurs won me over within minutes of the actual episode, but this, this I really think is going to bring some A-game all around.

Check out the BBC Gallery!

amjur

Okay - Spoonflower is my new favorite site - not only did i spend hours drooling over their tardis designs (still not understanding why my dear husband got annoyed every time I called him over to 'look at this one' - its dr who, seriously who are you?) but also you can DESIGN your own stuff w/them!! --how have I not known about this? Actually the possibilities are overwhelming, hopefully by this weekend, I'll have a plan and be calmer.

Anyway - to your points:

1. I noticed that too the first viewing and it irked me a little. Not entirely sure why. Part - ok she learned a lot from the doctor and has been paying attention, part well I guess as his MIL she has to become a bit more - but then Part what the heck is going on? And then just wondered if its a story arc we'll be seeing later on too. The slowly increasing genius of Amy or something.

2. Agreed. Plus apparently my sense of humor is cheesy over medium as I cracked up all over the numerous times they referenced "why did you bring your dad?" between Rory and the Dr.

inkycatz wrote:Spoonflower has a ridiculous (in the awesome way) amount of Doctor Who/TARDIS fabric prints, I've discovered.

I'm excited too. It feels a little like we've carved a good home here in EBW, but I've always known our thread is bigger on the inside!

Did not make it to the rewatch last night, but some of the key things that struck me about the episode:

1. Amy, clearly applying her knowledge to figure out what's going on. This is the Amy I like, the one that isn't as starry eyed as say, The Beast Below, but still can figure out what's going on all the same. Did anyone else notice how much like the Doctor she sounded?

2. Rory's dad rocks! But then, Mark Williams is good at those dad roles, as Harry Potter demonstrates. I would have loved to see the Elder Ponds, but given that's not going to happen, alas, there's always fanfic. ;) Imagine though how much "oh, Amy's not imagining it all" damage could be repaired if they found themselves on a trip somehow!

As a reminder, still doing this month's watchalongs if anyone's feeling non-Smithy. We'll kick those off and that discussion in a couple weeks, on October 1.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:
1. I noticed that too the first viewing and it irked me a little. Not entirely sure why. Part - ok she learned a lot from the doctor and has been paying attention, part well I guess as his MIL she has to become a bit more - but then Part what the heck is going on? And then just wondered if its a story arc we'll be seeing later on too. The slowly increasing genius of Amy or something.

I think every time Amy shows she's smart it frustrates me more knowing all the times she doesn't do that and could, when she's just treated like "The Legs" (ref: Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon).

I wonder if Rory and Amy will go back to that place in The Rebel Flesh and wave to themselves from the hill now?

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
inkycatz wrote:I think every time Amy shows she's smart it frustrates me more knowing all the times she doesn't do that and could, when she's just treated like "The Legs" (ref: Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon).

I wonder if Rory and Amy will go back to that place in The Rebel Flesh and wave to themselves from the hill now?

Don't you mean the one with the drill.... Rebel Flesh is the one at the monastery turned acid mine when Amy has to remember to breathe. I only remember because that was this weekend's PBS episode and then I pulled down the DVDs I won from GeekMom and watched the second half because well, that's just a horrible place to stop and I watched a Good Man Goes to War just because.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:Don't you mean the one with the drill.... Rebel Flesh is the one at the monastery turned acid mine when Amy has to remember to breathe. I only remember because that was this weekend's PBS episode and then I pulled down the DVDs I won from GeekMom and watched the second half because well, that's just a horrible place to stop and I watched a Good Man Goes to War just because.

Oh right! I was thinking "The Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood" - I knew it was another one of those two parters.

one45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages one45

My Doctor Who experience has started with the first doctor William Hartnell. I love the creepy 60s black and white atmosphere. When the moon is out, this is the perfect tv show to try to fall asleep watching. Hartnell is like Valium to me.
The new 2000s Doctor Who is just a lot of people running around screaming. It keeps me up and lacks the leisurely feeling of the classic series that I find so much fun to escape to. The way the new series sort of demands your attention just is annoying, because I like to drift off to sleep with the TV.
Tried to watch Pertwee, but I felt like I was cheating by skipping ahead, and I missed Susan and Ian.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster
one45 wrote:My Doctor Who experience has started with the first doctor William Hartnell. I love the creepy 60s black and white atmosphere. When the moon is out, this is the perfect tv show to try to fall asleep watching. Hartnell is like Valium to me.
The new 2000s Doctor Who is just a lot of people running around screaming. It keeps me up and lacks the leisurely feeling of the classic series that I find so much fun to escape to. The way the new series sort of demands your attention just is annoying, because I like to drift off to sleep with the TV.
Tried to watch Pertwee, but I felt like I was cheating by skipping ahead, and I missed Susan and Ian.

At the risk of heresey, I would recommend you watch City of Death with Tom Baker. While it may not be in B&W, the endless running through the Paris streets is inducive to nodding off.

But be warned - you will want to wake up for the parts when they are NOT running around.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:At the risk of heresey, I would recommend you watch City of Death with Tom Baker. While it may not be in B&W, the endless running through the Paris streets is inducive to nodding off.

But be warned - you will want to wake up for the parts when they are NOT running around.

Or watch The Ribos Operation along with us! (Never seen it, so don't know how nod-worthy it is...)

amjur

inkycatz wrote:Oh right! I was thinking "The Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood" - I knew it was another one of those two parters.

Hey - I thought they pulled in both sides of the waving in that episode - or am I not remembering it correctly?

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Hey - I thought they pulled in both sides of the waving in that episode - or am I not remembering it correctly?

Looks like a good excuse for someone with a better memory to step in, or a quick rewatch. ;)

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Looks like a good excuse for someone with a better memory to step in, or a quick rewatch. ;)

Memory? Dr. Memory?

When it comes to memory for me - no chance. But in an effort to free up space on the DVR for the new season I am rewatching and then deleting older shows. So - good excuse to watch Hungry Earth last night and confirm there was no revisitation by the future Amy & Rory.

On to Cold Blood hopefully tonight.

Then again, in Hungry Earth the Dr. specifies the other A&R are visiting from 15 years later, so I clock that out to be 2030 or so. Anyone know of an episode set in that year?

For that matter, does anyone know why the porridge bird lays his egg in the air?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:
Then again, in Hungry Earth the Dr. specifies the other A&R are visiting from 15 years later, so I clock that out to be 2030 or so. Anyone know of an episode set in that year?

I think at the rate of apparent time passage we're going in the current series we should be there soon?

amjur

Dang - now I have to watch it again.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

you can keep your dinosaurs...

KtCallista

olcubmaster wrote:Memory? Dr. Memory?

When it comes to memory for me - no chance. But in an effort to free up space on the DVR for the new season I am rewatching and then deleting older shows. So - good excuse to watch Hungry Earth last night and confirm there was no revisitation by the future Amy & Rory.

On to Cold Blood hopefully tonight.

For that matter, does anyone know why the porridge bird lays his egg in the air?

Of course all of that does happen BEFORE the universe gets rebooted...

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

Thank you inky, I actually do enjoy this thread a lot and it has a great home here in EBW.

We haven't been able to see the new season yet, but I did discover that the subtitles are available on my ipad app so we just need to find a good reasonable place and time to download and watch them.

However.... not to derail this thread, but... just from seeing the preview video, does it seem to anyone that this season is following Red Dwarf a bit close? The dinosaurs on a space ship and now the old western cyborg episode. If they do the playing pool with planets bit, I am going to cry foul.

KtCallista

Orcrist42 wrote:Thank you inky, I actually do enjoy this thread a lot and it has a great home here in EBW.

We haven't been able to see the new season yet, but I did discover that the subtitles are available on my ipad app so we just need to find a good reasonable place and time to download and watch them.

However.... not to derail this thread, but... just from seeing the preview video, does it seem to anyone that this season is following Red Dwarf a bit close? The dinosaurs on a space ship and now the old western cyborg episode. If they do the playing pool with planets bit, I am going to cry foul.

But playing pool with planets is cool!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
KtCallista wrote:But playing pool with planets is cool!

At least the Doctor Who version of [spoilers] "sending the baby back in time to grow up without parents and reappear as an adult" from last season wasn't as messed up as the Red Dwarf plot of the same theme.

KtCallista

Orcrist42 wrote:At least the Doctor Who version of [spoilers] "sending the baby back in time to grow up without parents and reappear as an adult" from last season wasn't as messed up as the Red Dwarf plot of the same theme.

I'm not sure, both are pretty messed up.

amjur

KtCallista wrote:Of course all of that does happen BEFORE the universe gets rebooted...

Oh hey - that reminds me too - last episode when they did the stupid sorry bit about who loves more and Rory said he "waited" - since the universe is rebooted - didnt that NOT happen, and I thought he couldnt remember it?

KtCallista

amjur wrote:Oh hey - that reminds me too - last episode when they did the stupid sorry bit about who loves more and Rory said he "waited" - since the universe is rebooted - didnt that NOT happen, and I thought he couldnt remember it?

He and the doctor talk about it, and even though it didn't happen anymore he still has memories of it. Sorta like how Amy remembers the doctor to bring him back at her wedding. He also mentions the waiting to Amy (and presumably River) and it's referenced occasionally, especially when Rory dresses as a centurion at Demons Run.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Oh hey - that reminds me too - last episode when they did the stupid sorry bit about who loves more and Rory said he "waited" - since the universe is rebooted - didnt that NOT happen, and I thought he couldnt remember it?

I think he lied about the not remembering part. I don't think it happened in the world he's in now (or he would be plastic with a gun hand and hello, awkward), but somewhere in an alternate universe that he remembers because of time travel.

olcubmaster

KtCallista wrote:I'm not sure, both are pretty messed up.

Oh sure - you just had to go there didn't you?

Up to this point I've been successful in talking myself out of getting the Red Dwarf series.

Get thee behind me, smeghead!

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

Spoilers..... don't even look at the URL

looks like the BBC have given some information out about the last episode before the winter break, stars and air date and title are revealed.

inkycatz

dougall wrote:Spoilers..... don't even look at the URL

looks like the BBC have given some information out about the last episode before the winter break, stars and air date and title are revealed.

Oh BBC, you are so disappoint.

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Oh BBC, you are so disappoint.

Is this the one with the all-Muppet cast?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:Is this the one with the all-Muppet cast?

I will say in terms of spoilers though it could have been much worse. I imagine the teasers will give half the story away, honestly.

amjur

inkycatz wrote:

I will say in terms of spoilers though it could have been much worse. I imagine the teasers will give half the story away, honestly.

ugh - want. to. watch. but I dont want to know either. The show just isnt as good when you know bits that will happen.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:ugh - want. to. watch. but I dont want to know either. The show just isnt as good when you know bits that will happen.

I don't mind episode titles and possible guest stars, but I think a lot of times "teaser trailers" go too far. Of course I also say that with regards to current movies too. I'm in the theater and I'm like "well you just took every single interesting part and made a clip out of it and left nothing for the movie".

inkycatz

Please help! When I turned all my desk stuff around I realized right outside my window leaning on a wall across the street is a row of statues. I'm pretty sure over lunch one of them moved out and forward from the row.

This is how I feel right now:

I took a picture of them with my phone and can upload it later.

KtCallista

olcubmaster wrote:Oh sure - you just had to go there didn't you?

Up to this point I've been successful in talking myself out of getting the Red Dwarf series.

Get thee behind me, smeghead!

But season X is coming!!!

(I own all the DVDs, some VHS special things and the first two books - have had trouble locating the last two).

In honor of capslock thurs:
SPOILERS ARE EVIL!

- and I completely agree on the trailer thing. Footage for trailers should be from the first 1/4 to first 1/3 of the show only!

inkycatz

There was just a guy walking out in that yard that has all the statues.

NO DUDE NO GO BACK IN WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

edited in because this is funny - Guy went in, and then came back out and stared at the statues before going back in again. Meanwhile the shadows are now over all the statues.

amjur

inkycatz wrote:

There was just a guy walking out in that yard that has all the statues.

NO DUDE NO GO BACK IN WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

edited in because this is funny - Guy went in, and then came back out and stared at the statues before going back in again. Meanwhile the shadows are now over all the statues.

Holy sheep -- that's like an army! I know how you feel, after we saw the episode (blink) for the first time, we not only realized that alot of the old architecture around our neighborhood includes gargolyes, statutes on all the houses, but also that the giant city garbage bins in the park across the street that seem to keep moving locations (all by themselves!) took on a whole new meaning.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Holy sheep -- that's like an army! I know how you feel, after we saw the episode (blink) for the first time, we not only realized that alot of the old architecture around our neighborhood includes gargolyes, statutes on all the houses, but also that the giant city garbage bins in the park across the street that seem to keep moving locations (all by themselves!) took on a whole new meaning.

I know I have picked my friends wisely, because when I shared this story elsewhere, a lot of them said "Don't Blink."

Although with the new episode being called A Town Called Mercy, I keep thinking of this scene. (I hope that link queues up to the right time in the video!)