KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
flargus wrote:Got bored recently, decided to model a little something.

Still need to do bumpmapping and texturing, but I'm rather proud of it ^_^

It's quite lovely! Nice work. Do update your image when you are done with the texturing.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KtCallista wrote:It's quite lovely! Nice work. Do update your image when you are done with the texturing.

Yeah, that's really snazzy.

Update: Have watched City of Death on time! Have failed entirely on the writeup! (It's on my to do list today.)

As distraction, new trailer!

This is either going to be amazing or entirely too awful. I don't see much of a middle ground. What do you think?

I'm just hanging out, really.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

I have failed watching the full length so far..segmented viewing on line, it's easy to be interrupted yanno?

But it certainly reminded me how sultry Romana was...it made me think of Rose as a kind of Romana Reboot.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:I have failed watching the full length so far..segeneted viewing on line, it's easy to be interrupted yanno?

But it certainly reminded me how sultry Romana was...it made me think of Rose as a kind of Romana Reboot.

Yes, the beginning when they're in Paris being silly reminded me a lot of "New Earth" - the whole scene with apple grass!

I'll be posting my first part on Monday. While things can get written, I have to confess I've been feeling a lot under the weather most of this week, and so when I went to read what I wrote yesterday and was going to post today I was like, "well that's just rubbish". I figure if I keep you guys updated on what happened, you'll forgive me easier, right?

How far have you gotten, olcubmaster?

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Yes, the beginning when they're in Paris being silly reminded me a lot of "New Earth" - the whole scene with apple grass!

I'll be posting my first part on Monday. While things can get written, I have to confess I've been feeling a lot under the weather most of this week, and so when I went to read what I wrote yesterday and was going to post today I was like, "well that's just rubbish". I figure if I keep you guys updated on what happened, you'll forgive me easier, right?

How far have you gotten, olcubmaster?

I'm into the second part, the Doctor has reversed the polarity landing the chicken in the egg, Romana's found the secret room and the Count is explaining how to steal the Mona Lisa with the aid of his sonic knife.

I'd forgotten how much of the Paris street scenery we view in this one. And I also remember how utterly disarming this Doctor can be...in a Harpo Marx sort of way.

I'll resume shortly. Anyone else watching care to jump in here?

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
olcubmaster wrote:I'm into the second part, the Doctor has reversed the polarity landing the chicken in the egg, Romana's found the secret room and the Count is explaining how to steal the Mona Lisa with the aid of his sonic knife.

I'd forgotten how much of the Paris street scenery we view in this one. And I also remember how utterly disarming this Doctor can be...in a Harpo Marx sort of way.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

inkycatz

In which inkycatz discusses part one!

I find the format makes it feel like things are stretched out a bit too much. For example, the "time slip" would have probably occurred once, instead of once in the cafe and once in the museum. Maybe I'm used to the faster pace where we have to discover and solve the problem in about 45 minutes vs. a leisurely stroll through Paris!

The interactions of Doc 4 and Romana remind me very much of 10/Rose, though, and as 10 is one of my favorite Doctors it seems to make sense that I didn't mind it too much.

I'll add more thoughts on the second part tomorrow (hm, perhaps I can add some short thoughts on each part per day, since I won't be around much on Friday...) - but for now I'm trying to wrap up so I can turn things over to ROGETRAY!

Check out this cool TARDIS teapot though:

hardworkingjulie

quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie
inkycatz wrote:It's true what they say, you never forget your first Doctor.

I know we have a lot of Doctor Who fans around here (I mean, that "no Doctor Who" rule must be in the most recent Derby for a reason), so gather as ye may.

So who was your first Doctor? Which is your favorite? Where would you recommend a newbie start if they wanted to (asking for a friend on that one)?

Now, I'm a huge Doctor Who nut, I don't think that's any great secret. I started with Nine back in the day and was hooked instantly with this "new to me" series. I've been a fan ever since, enjoying each of the things a new regeneration has brought to the role.

My cat ("The Intern") came into the fold with Eleven, and as such enjoys the more "character driven" vs "scary monster" style stories. Perhaps I was a bad cat parent for letting her sit fascinated in front of the tv every once in a while, but such it is.

Lately, I've been exploring the older Doctors and have made it a goal to try and get through all the older episodes, too.

How about you?

I'm a super boring Tom Baker lover, but David Tennant is my 2nd favorite in wibbly-wobbly-timey-whimey kinda way.

hardworkingjulie

quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie
inkycatz wrote:Yeah, that's really snazzy.

Update: Have watched City of Death on time! Have failed entirely on the writeup! (It's on my to do list today.)

As distraction, new trailer!

This is either going to be amazing or entirely too awful. I don't see much of a middle ground. What do you think?

To me it looks fantastic. Whatever is going on in that whole Dalek senate looking scene has me super excited to watch!

inkycatz

hardworkingjulie wrote:I'm a super boring Tom Baker lover, but David Tennant is my 2nd favorite in wibbly-wobbly-timey-whimey kinda way.

What's your favorite Tom Baker episode?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:I'm into the second part, the Doctor has reversed the polarity landing the chicken in the egg, Romana's found the secret room and the Count is explaining how to steal the Mona Lisa with the aid of his sonic knife.

Things I enjoyed:
Romana is a very active part of the process. She feels like a true companion.
It's just a really good story.
It has the right balance of drama and humor.

Things that were kind of meh:
All the running around in Paris. Yes, BBC! We get you had a budget and could do this. Lovely! Kinda overdone!
The cameo (those who have seen it know what I'm talking about)
Duggan

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Ok so where does a silly American like me with no TV get her hands on the new Who?

Also, Eccleston was my first, Tennant my favorite, I'm only now starting to warm up to Smith, and by far, Miss Amelia Pond is my favorite companion.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

KtCallista

cheron98 wrote:Ok so where does a silly American like me with no TV get her hands on the new Who?

Also, Eccleston was my first, Tennant my favorite, I'm only now starting to warm up to Smith, and by far, Miss Amelia Pond is my favorite companion.

#1 - PBS stations tend to air it. They are at least a season behind. Ours airs at 11 on Saturday night.

#2 - Netflix, you have to wait for the DVD release, but Netflix carries the new Who

#3 - Amazon Instant watch (not sure what the delay is, but Instant Watch has a full catalog of old and new on Prime..... SUPER HUGE DOWNSIDE - NO SUBTITLES!

#4 - The local DVD shop. Our's carries all of the New Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane, etc as soon as it's released on DVD.

#5 - Win it on DVD! This is really common when each season is released, although back episodes are harder to find.

#6 - Buy the DVDs from any DVD retailer, they are spendy even for DVD though.

#7 - Have a friend with BBC America record it for you.

#8 - BBC proxy server - legality is questionable at best.

#9 - Torrent. I've been told they are really easy to torrent as soon as they've aired on BBC.... I've never tried, I'm content to wait it out on PBS, except the last season, which I won online

#10 - beg family members/friends to get them for you as gifts or pay for a subscription service... kinda a last ditch effort really as your family may not understand, or be willing to shell out the big bucks for the box sets.

Good luck!

inkycatz

September Watch Along Pre-Announcement!
The Ribos Operation

To restore the balance of the cosmos, the White Guardian requires the Key to Time, but it has been broken into six disguised segments and scattered throughout time and space.

I picked this one because I wanted to do the Pirate Planet, but didn't want to jump in mid-story, if that makes sense. (Anyone else do this?)

1. Check local listings?
2. Available
3. Available
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. You can get it as a single DVD, or part of "The Key to Time" collector edition.
7 - 10. You're on your own about those.

And for those interested in a more modern doctor...let's watch...

Father's Day
Rose witnesses the day her father died, but interfering leads to terrible consequences... and sinister creatures!

I picked this one, because it has to do with "time getting messed up", and the classic episode is about preventing time from getting messed up!

As far as availability, I'm pretty sure you can see it via #2/#3/and #6 various outlets as part of "The Complete First Series".

I figure these should keep us watching through September, but did everyone see the new titles announced for the next series? There's also a spoiler free review of the first episode.

So exciting!

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:September Watch Along Pre-Announcement!

So exciting!

I'm excited you listed availability via my list I did try to be thorough.

I'll have to check the subtitle apps since we have Amazon and not Netflix... aren't woot people at Amazon? If you see someone from their Instant Watch group, pester them about subtitles for the hearing impaired, mothers with small children (sometimes you just don't want them to hear your TV and you keep the volume down), and others, eh?

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:I'm excited you listed availability via my list I did try to be thorough.

Almost a little too complete, 7-10... let me quote the Doctor in these cases:

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:Almost a little too complete, 7-10... let me quote the Doctor in these cases:

Technically 7 and 10 are both completely legal in this country. Using a proxy to bypass a political boundary has not had it's full day in court, although it is generally considered the dark side of grey. Torrenting content which is not in the public domain is illegal. It is legal if the product is public domain, shareware, or another digital form that is intended for mass distribution. Doctor Who as produced by the BBC does not meet that requirement at this time. (I like to leave the future open for hope )

edit: I just noticed I left the public library off my list. While it's a long shot, many public libraries have Doctor Who videos and radio-dramas in their catalog. Our library doesn't have all the new stuff, but it does have some of the older disks, unfortunately, when we rented them they were so scratched up we couldn't finish the series - it had Romana, can't remember the name. That can be our #11.

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:edit: I just noticed I left the public library off my list. While it's a long shot, many public libraries have Doctor Who videos and radio-dramas in their catalog. Our library doesn't have all the new stuff, but it does have some of the older disks, unfortunately, when we rented them they were so scratched up we couldn't finish the series - it had Romana, can't remember the name. That can be our #11.

Can't believe I forgot about the Library!

("Hey, who turned off the lights?")

olcubmaster

[quote postid="5123560" user="inkycatz"]September Watch Along Pre-Announcement!
The Ribos Operation

To restore the balance of the cosmos, the White Guardian requires the Key to Time, but it has been broken into six disguised segments and scattered throughout time and space.

I picked this one because I wanted to do the Pirate Planet, but didn't want to jump in mid-story, if that makes sense. (Anyone else do this?)

quote]

Or maybe since we just finshed City of Death you're just on a "things broken into pieces and scattered through time" theme.

Alas poor Scaroth, I knew him well.

Yanno - I bet I tried to watch City of Death quite a few times back then, but seeing as it came on a midnight and I was probably a bit....shall we say red eyed?...that I can imagine I dropped off more than once during the miles and miles of Parisian streetscape footage.

Favorite quote:

Dugan: Hells Bells!
Romona: Sounds like it!

I loved the thought the cameo even though it was a bit fawlty.

I guess my tastes have changed with the years because I much prefer the faster pace of the current reboot.

That said, I'll revisit the chosen Rose-centric episode along with you. Trouble is my content provider has just put all of the past season on demand and I have some rewatching to do.

Oh yeah...and in order of course. I hate to jump in at the middle too.

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:
I loved the thought the cameo even though it was a bit fawlty.

I see what you did there! :D

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:I see what you did there! :D

dname keeps saying I should watch that show with the Versions

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:dname keeps saying I should watch that show with the Versions

It's pretty funny!

inkycatz

September 8th, the premiere episode “Asylum of the Daleks” on BBC America!

Today for your pleasure as well, FREE Doctor Who stencils.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Parody is cool.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:Parody is cool.

Yes it is! Also I know some folks in this thread can also appreciate this:

inkycatz

Official WORDS:
@BBCAMERICA

Official Announcement: #DoctorWho Season 7 will premiere on @BBCAMERICA on Saturday, September 1 at 9/8c bit.ly/PXSKl5

... oh no, a week earlier than expected. Wait! A WEEK EARLIER THAN EXPECTED.

Still doing September watch along though I think for October etc. we'll just continue with the Key to Time series because there will be all these new episodes to discuss too!

Did I mention I'm hyped yet?

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Official WORDS:
@BBCAMERICA

Official Announcement: #DoctorWho Season 7 will premiere on @BBCAMERICA on Saturday, September 1 at 9/8c bit.ly/PXSKl5

... oh no, a week earlier than expected. Wait! A WEEK EARLIER THAN EXPECTED.

Still doing September watch along though I think for October etc. we'll just continue with the Key to Time series because there will be all these new episodes to discuss too!

Did I mention I'm hyped yet?

It may be moved up a week but there's still time to whip up a big batch of fish fingers and custard!

http://bakingdom.com/2011/08/fish-fingers-and-custard.html

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:It may be moved up a week but there's still time to whip up a big batch of fish fingers and custard!

http://bakingdom.com/2011/08/fish-fingers-and-custard.html

Those cookies look delicious.

Y'know, even though Amy and Rory are occasionally problematic as companions, I'm going to miss them when they go.

inkycatz

Here's something we all can watch together next week - why, because it's free and online!

Pond Life!

According to Den of Geek, "one webisode available every day next week at midday". Since we're all in different time zones let's wait til the next day to discuss so those who can't watch at work can chime in.

And seriously, don't wait for me to start these episode discussions! I'll chime in as I can (I'll be out a little next week, just so you know).

I think this is a tremendous way to keep building enthusiasm for the new season. Well played, BBC!

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:Here's something we all can watch together next week - why, because it's free and online!

I think this is a tremendous way to keep building enthusiasm for the new season. Well played, BBC!

As if we needed more stimulation...

Thanks!

inkycatz

Woah.

inkycatz

Today's the first episode of Pond Life!

Honestly, the way these were hyped I was expecting something above the minute mark. Maybe tomorrow.

Mavyn

Matt Smith is being interviewed on BBC Radio 1 right now. Should show up on youtube shortly if you miss it.

Some awesome stories. :D

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:Matt Smith is being interviewed on BBC Radio 1 right now. Should show up on youtube shortly if you miss it.

Some awesome stories. :D

Ooo! Looking forward to that. Watched the the first season "Best of" series this weekend on streaming, but didn't like them as much.

I get that they're mostly promotional vehicles for the upcoming season, but it could have used a more holistic approach through "New Who". For example, the companions episode.

Rose, Martha, and Donna didn't even get a mention!

Mavyn

inkycatz wrote:Ooo! Looking forward to that. Watched the the first season "Best of" series this weekend on streaming, but didn't like them as much.

I get that they're mostly promotional vehicles for the upcoming season, but it could have used a more holistic approach through "New Who". For example, the companions episode.

Rose, Martha, and Donna didn't even get a mention!

We watched them...not sure if we made it through them all or not. (we were both pretty tired, I know I fell asleep through the Women of Who). I thought they were...snap shoty, if that makes sense. Not really meant to explain or even introduce, just a teaser.

Radio stuff was nice, though. Entertaining, story about his grandfather helping with fan mail was awesome.

dougall

inkycatz wrote:
Honestly, the way these were hyped I was expecting something above the minute mark. Maybe tomorrow.

But it made me want to make crumpets!

Mavyn wrote:Matt Smith is being interviewed on BBC Radio 1 right now. Should show up on youtube shortly if you miss it.

Will be Here in a touch over an hour, and for maybe a week. you'll have to skip through the Greg James show to where the interview starts, I'd say where but I didn't get to listen to it in the first place.

Mavyn

dougall wrote:Will be Here in a touch over an hour, and for maybe a week. you'll have to skip through the Greg James show to where the interview starts, I'd say where but I didn't get to listen to it in the first place.

I don't know what time is listed, but the interview started just after 4:30 UK time.

There's a pic of Matt on the BBC Radio 1 fb page as well.

dougall

inkycatz

dougall wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m2syw/Greg_James_With_Doctor_Who!/

At around 41:55

enjoy.

Well chosen lead in song! (Listening now!)

edited in: Enjoyable! Thanks.