enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych

I've been using Photoshop to edit photos, using a lot of the artistic filters to make them look more like paintings. I have one I want to get printed and framed to be a gift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of photo paper, finish, etc. would work best? I'm looking for rich color and I'm guessing it would display better without a finish that reflects a lot of light. Recently I did a tissue paper collage which I photographed and had a matte finish print made at my local Ritz, and I was not happy with the color, so I'm looking for something better. Thanks.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

enaych wrote:I've been using Photoshop to edit photos, using a lot of the artistic filters to make them look more like paintings. I have one I want to get printed and framed to be a gift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of photo paper, finish, etc. would work best? I'm looking for rich color and I'm guessing it would display better without a finish that reflects a lot of light. Recently I did a tissue paper collage which I photographed and had a matte finish print made at my local Ritz, and I was not happy with the color, so I'm looking for something better. Thanks.



Someone might see your question here, but if you put it over on world of woot shirt you have a better chance of getting an answer.

Good luck!



WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych
dontwantaname wrote:Someone might see your question here, but if you put it over on world of woot shirt you have a better chance of getting an answer.

Good luck!



Um, OK. It's not technically about woot shirts, and I didn't want to break the rules.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

enaych wrote:Um, OK. It's not technically about woot shirts, and I didn't want to break the rules.



True, but people who know about that stuff post over there.

If you get in trouble, tell them I sent you!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dontwantaname wrote:True, but people who know about that stuff post over there.

If you get in trouble, tell them I sent you!



Shirt really is the best community for knowing this stuff!

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

inkycatz wrote:Shirt really is the best community for knowing this stuff!




Tell them she sent you, she has more power than I do.

Hope someone helps you out.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

onyxtwilight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages onyxtwilight

A printer who specializes in large format and fine art reproduction is what you want for best results, if you don't mind spending the money to do it properly. The right process can put it on canvas, even, and make it look as if it was painted.

For any kind of paper with a texture, you want an ink process, not a dry toner reproduction like a color copier would offer; with toner, textured paper ends up looking patchy, whereas with ink you get good coverage in all the nooks and crannies.

Look for someone in your area using high-end inks (UltraChrome is one brand you might look out for, that's what my shop uses), that can offer you a selection of canvas or acid-free papers. Try search phrases like "fine art reproduction," "large format printing," and "large format scanning." (I know, you don't need the image scanned as it's already digital, but the people who have that sort of scanner will also likely be providing that sort of printing, or know a company nearby who does.)

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych

onyxtwilight...thank you very much for all that detailed advice! I have copied it for reference and will check what's available in my area.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


dougall


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

I know it hasn't been specifically mentioned, but if you're not happy with the color then the first step I would personally take would be to check the color calibration of my monitor and/or check how it looks on other machines.

For example I know that the color reproduction on my laptop screen is terrible and seldom will result in a good quality printed picture if it looks good on-screen.

secondly, think about the file format used to transfer the picture to the printer. Raw files are probably a bad idea, for example.

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych
dougall wrote:I know it hasn't been specifically mentioned, but if you're not happy with the color then the first step I would personally take would be to check the color calibration of my monitor and/or check how it looks on other machines.

For example I know that the color reproduction on my laptop screen is terrible and seldom will result in a good quality printed picture if it looks good on-screen.

secondly, think about the file format used to transfer the picture to the printer. Raw files are probably a bad idea, for example.



Interesting though. What do you mean by "raw files"? I will say that I printed out the picture on my ancient HP deskjet, and the colors came out fine... matched what I had on the monitor. The one that Ritz did was less bright, and I hadn't taken the printout along to compare and OK'd it when it was done.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


dougall


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall
enaych wrote:Interesting though. What do you mean by "raw files"? I will say that I printed out the picture on my ancient HP deskjet, and the colors came out fine... matched what I had on the monitor. The one that Ritz did was less bright, and I hadn't taken the printout along to compare and OK'd it when it was done.



If you are asking what raw files are, chances are that you didn't use one.

but basically it is an image direct from the camera, without any processing, no white balancing and greater color depth.

if you printed it at home and it looked good, and you printed exactly the same image that you took to ritz, chances are that they performed some sort of color balancing, maybe an automatic process.

maybe give them a call and see what they can do, show them your print vs. theirs. it doesn't sound like your issue is the finish of the paper or the ink used.

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych

Thanks,dougall. I'm sure most of Ritz's business is printing out people's snapshots usually needing a little improvement. Next time I get any art printed, I'll be sure to take along my own print and let them know that I don't want any "corrections." Reminds me... I need to get some ink.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.