WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ty Caton Vineyards

Famed baseball player Ty Cobb was known for both his redoubtable talent and poisonous personality. Few people know, however, that Ty changed his last name to Caton after leaving baseball, to hide from the public opprobrium that dogged him mercilessly. Also, he set up a nice little winery in Sonoma. 
Ty Caton official site


Quality Posts

burns72


quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

OK, anyone know if this a dry/semi-dry riesling? Thanks.

Cesare


quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare

Ty Caton 2010 George’s Riesling 3-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $84.00) 29% off List Price
2010 Ty Caton George’s Mendocino County Riesling

Ty Caton 2009 TyTanium 2-Pack
$99.99 (Normally $160.00) 38% off List Price
2009 Ty Caton TyTanium

Ty Caton 2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $88.00) 26% off List Price
2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Ty Caton 2010 Cabernet Collection 2-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $98.00) 34% off List Price
2010 Little Hill Cabernet Sauvignon

CT links above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

i am wondering if the vintner would hold this until the fall to ship if i ordered now?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
eluofthenine wrote:i am wondering if the vintner would hold this until the fall to ship if i ordered now?



Why? Woot has summer shipping in effect. Don't worry about your wine!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine
kylemittskus wrote:Why? Woot has summer shipping in effect. Don't worry about your wine!



It has been right aroung 100* here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now and there's no end in sight. Even if they get it through 90% of the shipping process expeditiously and in a/c, if the Fedex guy doesn't come until the end of the day then I'm probably hosed, and if it's UPS for some reason then forget about it. Until they start running a/c trucks to my house, I don't buy in the summer.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
eluofthenine wrote:It has been right aroung 100* here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now and there's no end in sight. Even if they get it through 90% of the shipping process expeditiously and in a/c, if the Fedex guy doesn't come until the end of the day then I'm probably hosed, and if it's UPS for some reason then forget about it. Until they start running a/c trucks to my house, I don't buy in the summer.



Well, the answer to your original question is no, W.W. won't hold shipments. But if the wine is cooked, they will fix the problem. I've had 2 cooked shipments, both were immediately taken care of.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
eluofthenine wrote:It has been right aroung 100* here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now and there's no end in sight. Even if they get it through 90% of the shipping process expeditiously and in a/c, if the Fedex guy doesn't come until the end of the day then I'm probably hosed, and if it's UPS for some reason then forget about it. Until they start running a/c trucks to my house, I don't buy in the summer.



You can have FedEx hold at the shipment at a local kinkos/FedEx so you don't have to be home and can pick up at your leisure. Just trying to give you an option.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
burns72 wrote:OK, anyone know if this a dry/semi-dry riesling? Thanks.



Interview with Ty says dry.

http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/2010-ty-caton-mendocino-georges-riesling/

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

guzmantis


quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

I've always wanted to try TyTanium but my state has never made the ship-to list... Now my state is there, but the wine is out of my price range. Bummer!

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
bkarlan wrote:You can have FedEx hold at the shipment at a local kinkos/FedEx so you don't have to be home and can pick up at your leisure. Just trying to give you an option.



But you still don't know the delivery truck is going to drop it off at the designated FedEx office at the end of the day, when it will have been sitting in the truck for hours.

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
noslensj wrote:But you still don't know the delivery truck is going to drop it off at the designated FedEx office at the end of the day, when it will have been sitting in the truck for hours.



Call the FedEx location and find out when they get their Express packages. My locations get them at 11. The other at 2, if I am home the Express FedEx guy comes at 11.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
bkarlan wrote:Call the FedEx location and find out when they get their Express packages. My locations get them at 11. The other at 2, if I am home the Express FedEx guy comes at 11.



I've found the times of arrival to be variable. They will stay somewhat consistent for awhile, but then will suddenly change to another time of day. I'm sure it relates to changes in driver assignments and juggling of routes to try to optimize delivery schedules.

crabbyman22


quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22



Ty said his Cabernet Collection would never be on w00t.Is this w00t? Love the shipping price.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
crabbyman22 wrote:Ty said his Cabernet Collection would never be on w00t.Is this w00t? Love the shipping price.



Well in fairness it's probably only 1 of 8-10 different vineyard designates.

I tasted through much of his 2010 cabs at a barrel tasting last fall and they were quite good.
But I have no notes to back that up with any details.

I paid $15 less a bottle for the tytanium in last years woot. Yikes!

CT

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

i sooo want to buy this tytanium, but i think it's 90% likely going to be on the truck too long. and even if not, what's the difference between cooked wine and wine that's been in ultra high temps for a few hours-many hours, that doesn't show signs of heat damage? ughhhhhhh....

klezman


quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

I wish this was more tempting, I really do. I've love the excuse to get some 09 TyTanium for long term storage. At $50/bottle, however, it's too much. The Riesling is very tempting also (and I know previous vintages were tasty) but at $22 it's on the edge what I'd personally consider reasonable. If I lived across the country and couldn't get the wine myself it may be a different story. These days even half price for Ty is pushing it.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
klezman wrote:I wish this was more tempting, I really do. I've love the excuse to get some 09 TyTanium for long term storage. At $50/bottle, however, it's too much. The Riesling is very tempting also (and I know previous vintages were tasty) but at $22 it's on the edge what I'd personally consider reasonable. If I lived across the country and couldn't get the wine myself it may be a different story. These days even half price for Ty is pushing it.



My thoughts exactly, and I do live across the country. I almost bit on his 50% off sale recently but the shipping was outrageous. Now the shipping is good and the prices are weak.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sdbcmr


quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
eluofthenine wrote:It has been right aroung 100* here in Kansas City for almost two weeks now and there's no end in sight. Even if they get it through 90% of the shipping process expeditiously and in a/c, if the Fedex guy doesn't come until the end of the day then I'm probably hosed, and if it's UPS for some reason then forget about it. Until they start running a/c trucks to my house, I don't buy in the summer.



You're right to be concerned. The "don't worry" answer is never very specific, but it has become standard.

My own experience has been ... well ... not what some here at woot will INSIST you can count on.

But they get so wee-wee'd up when when anyone says this out loud ... just wait. :-)

sdbcmr


quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
North316 wrote:My thoughts exactly, and I do live across the country. I almost bit on his 50%post ofd sale recently but the shipping was outrageous. Now the shipping is good and the prices are weak.



Agree entirely. It'd be tempting, if only the numbers worked out differently.

One wonders if the expense of "special shipping" for summer (a questionable perquisite, in my opinion) isn't a factor in the elevated prices of woot wines in these months ...

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
sdbcmr wrote:Agree entirely. It'd be tempting, if only the numbers worked out differently.

One wonders if the expense of "special shipping" for summer (a questionable perquisite, in my opinion) isn't a factor in the elevated prices of woot wines in these months ...




Elevated prices.... Woot plus deals are essentially wine club prices with woot shipping. If prices are elevated, that's the winery's fault. I think in the case of Ty Caton there is a shock in the change in price that has come with their success. What used to be $30 only 2 years ago is now $50. If they aren't selling enough, prices will come back down but I think they have enough of a following that that may not happen.

In terms of the standard woot deals, yes it is priced in. You'll have to factor in shipping charges and proveyyance into your calculations though. Know that WD and his minions do a pretty good job vetting for QPR and also pay attention to getting it from a quality source to you with as little harm as possible ( not always perfect)

If you have a better trusted source for providing QPR then go ahead. As for me, Woot is one of my stand bys.

But then... This is all off topic... How about the Wines? I have only had the Ty's red and only young. I was not impressed. I look forward to trying a bottle of titanium but only one and hopefully a bit older. Anyone have any other experiences to share?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
cmaldoon wrote:
But then... This is all off topic... How about the Wines? I have only had the Ty's red and only young. I was not impressed. I look forward to trying a bottle of titanium but only one and hopefully a bit older. Anyone have any other experiences to share?



I had the 08' & 09' Ty's red and waited about a year after they were wooted and found them to be outstanding. I have never had them at release. I probably won't touch the 10's until early 2013.

CT

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
cmaldoon wrote:Elevated prices.... Woot plus deals are essentially wine club prices with woot shipping. If prices are elevated, that's the winery's fault....



That's not completely true. Amazon has changed the pricing structure, so vineyards have to charge more if they want to make up for the additional 'cut' Amazon is taking and lower subsidies they are providing. The vineyards have to pay to ship the wine to WCC and cover all taxes.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
klezman wrote:I wish this was more tempting, I really do. I've love the excuse to get some 09 TyTanium for long term storage. At $50/bottle, however, it's too much. The Riesling is very tempting also (and I know previous vintages were tasty) but at $22 it's on the edge what I'd personally consider reasonable. If I lived across the country and couldn't get the wine myself it may be a different story. These days even half price for Ty is pushing it.



I've been waiting a long time for Tytaniun to show up on woot, but at $52.50/bottle it's just too expensive for my comfort level.

It's always sad when a company is so successful that they forget where they came from and who helped them obtain that success.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
mschauber wrote:That's not completely true. Amazon has changed the pricing structure, so vineyards have to charge more if they want to make up for the additional 'cut' Amazon is taking and lower subsidies they are providing. The vineyards have to pay to ship the wine to WCC and cover all taxes.



I do not believe there is any truth in this.

Edited for truthiness.

CT

mstern20878


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878
noslensj wrote:I've found the times of arrival to be variable. They will stay somewhat consistent for awhile, but then will suddenly change to another time of day. I'm sure it relates to changes in driver assignments and juggling of routes to try to optimize delivery schedules.



Yeah, I think you shouldn't argue, just don't buy it.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
eluofthenine wrote:(Summer concerns, and cooked wine)


This is an excellent discussion on cooked wine and heat damage. Not to be confused with "cooking wine" (totally different experience). Rest assured if your wine is ever damaged in transit, we will do our best to make it right. There is also an amazing long discussion about coolers, which may appear relevant to your interests.

mschauber wrote:(General price discussion)


Not to totally harsh on a good rant (but I'm about to, clearly), but price discussion, theory spinning, and Wine Economics 101 can be found over in the shipping thread and general wine.woot feedback areas. Specific Ty Caton pricing, comparisons, etc. is as always, encouraged and welcome.

Also, I encourage everyone to work with their local FedEx people as much as possible to get things delivered when you can safely put them away from the warm summer air - they don't want your stuff to be damaged any more than you do.

Anyone had the Riesling personally and want to discuss it?

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Ty's increased prices are due to his success, not some BS Amazon conspiracy (that most of us are beyond sick of hearing about over and over again, by the way). I'm very happy for him that he's so successful. He's a great guy. I'm very sad that because of his success, his prices have gone up beyond my comfort level. Supply and demand is simple. People want Ty's grapes (he sold his entire 07 harvest!) and therefore, he can charge more.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:I do not believe there is any truth truth in this.



You mean you believe Amazon doesn't have the power to affect the entire wine market?! You've got to read the truth in between the lines, man! Don't believe what they tell you. They control the media! And don't forget your tin-foil hat!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Since I joined Woot in late Feb, I heard quite a bit of favorable discussion about Titanium and couldn't wait for an offering! However, I did'nt realize it was so expensive. I will have to pass and am very disappointed I can't afford to try it at this time.

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Well, I suppose it's appropriate to start talking about the wine now. 09 TyTanium got some pretty mediocre reviews on cellar tracker. I wonder if the 2010 is going to be any better? I've heard the hype about it on here, but CT does not seem to concur. What gives?

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
cortot20 wrote:I do not believe there is any truth truth in this.



Don't believe all you want. Facts are still facts, just ask your friendly neighborhood vineyards.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
mschauber wrote:Don't believe all you want. Facts are still facts, just ask your friendly neighborhood vineyards.



Are you saying you asked Ty, or any other vineyard owner, why prices are going up and he/they said, "Amazon, of course!"? They didn't mention lower grape yields, weather and economic changes, or the increase in alien activity?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
mschauber wrote:Don't believe all you want. Facts are still facts, just ask your friendly neighborhood vineyards.


I'm with Kyle here. Since facts are facts and you are dealing in facts, I presume that you have spoken to your local vintners and they have told that Amazon is the reason prices are increasing. Is that correct? And if so could you tell us what vineyards and when you received that information.

Just the facts. Just give us the facts, not the conclusions.

cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Are you saying you asked Ty, or any other vineyard owner, why prices are going up and he/they said, "Amazon, of course!"? They didn't mention lower grape yields, weather and economic changes, or the increase in alien activity?



I'm going to guess he asked Ty and I am sure Ty said that Amazon wanted a bigger piece of the pie and therefore WCC had to raise prices. Oh Wait that would completely counter productive for all parties involved.

This is a flash sale site, if the discounts aren't steep people don't buy, if people don't buy Wine.woot ceases to exist. Perhaps the minor increase in per offer price is b/c of the 2 day air shipping that WCC is now using in the summer months.

The average Woot was $50-60 shipped. For summer this has risen to $60-70 and often includes more wine than previously offered.

I don't understand the conspiracy and how it makes an ounce of sense!

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
eluofthenine wrote:Well, I suppose it's appropriate to start talking about the wine now. 09 TyTanium got some pretty mediocre reviews on cellar tracker. I wonder if the 2010 is going to be any better? I've heard the hype about it on here, but CT does not seem to concur. What gives?



A lot depends if they (the tasters) have had experience with TyTanium before. It's a big wine, and needs lots of decanting time.

So if they drank it before its' time, then it wouldn't taste as good. I'll have to look at their tasting notes.



And don't forget that ALL purchases in the same day across Woot sites don't get the $5 shipping (or $7 summer) included as before. So that has to be factored into each wine offer.

Plus, Wine.Woot policy is to offer the best online price. So before you say you can get it locally cheaper, factor in Sales Tax as well.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
MarkDaSpark wrote:A lot depends if they (the tasters) have had experience with TyTanium before. It's a big wine, and needs lots of decanting time.



I find that tasting notes at CT are extremely unreliable for any wine that benefits from aeration or decanting. Unless the reviewer says the bottle was decanted/aerated before consumption you should assume not and if it's juice that needs some time, discard the review.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
noslensj wrote:I find that tasting notes at CT are extremely unreliable for any wine that benefits from aeration or decanting. Unless the reviewer says the bottle was decanted/aerated before consumption you should assume not and if it's juice that needs some time, discard the review.



Or a wine that needs to be cellared for a while! Decanting only does so much. Some wines need to sleep. And some CT tasters open all wines like they come from a grocery store.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen