WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Super Sonoman

When people talk about what you'd need if you were stranded on a desert island, they always overlook one thing, which is what if you wanted to be stranded on a desert island? In that case, you wouldn't want flares or a raft. You'd want a comfy chair, some good books, and a few bottles of Super Sonoman Wine.
Super Sonoman Wines official site


Quality Posts

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58

$100/ 750ml bottle, 10% case discount off the retail price

This is off their site for the 2008 Super Sonoman Cabernet Sauvignon. Unless their site is not correct, then I believe the Woot 2 bottle offer is a 50% savings.

Would like to hear about this wine or winery from someone that has experienced it. Thanks and Cheers.

joelsisk


quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

We had a bottle at the Denver tasting last week. I think it was the syrah. I'll have to check my notes when I get home from work. It was definitely one of the best of the evening... and I recall our bottle indicating 100 cases produced.

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy

Hey Wooters this is Chris and I am the Winemaker for the Super Sonoman Wines. The wines listed are all off of the top of the west side of the Mayacamas or at high altitude sites along the ridges and on steep slopes. I have had contracts on the vineyards for the better part of a decade and work really hard to make big, balanced and expressive wine.

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
joelsisk wrote:We had a bottle at the Denver tasting last week. I think it was the syrah. I'll have to check my notes when I get home from work. It was definitely one of the best of the evening... and I recall our bottle indicating 100 cases produced.



The Syrah was 100 cases and the 2008 Cab was 200 cases listed from their site. If you enjoyed your wine that much (and pretty sure it was the Syrah), then I can only hope the 2008 Cab is as good or better.
By the way, the Syrah is 2008 too. Want to go in for the 2008 2 bottle Cab offer, just trying to convince myself, plus I would like to hear more about it.
Thanks for your post.

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58

[quote postid="5061530" user="superwineguy"]Hey Wooters this Chris and I am the Winemaker for the Super Sonoman Wines. The wines listed are all off of the top of the west side of the Mayacamas or at high altitude sites along the ridges and on steep slopes. I have had contracts on the vineyards for the better part of a decade and work really hard to make big, balanced and expressive wine.[/quote

Welcome aboad
The 2008 Cab, are all the grapes from the knights valley? Website says aging for another decade. How is it drinking now?
Thanks

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
superwineguy wrote:Hey Wooters this Chris and I am the Winemaker for the Super Sonoman Wines.


Thanks for dropping in!

I'm just hanging out, really.

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
baristaboss58 wrote:[quote postid="5061530" user="superwineguy"]Hey Wooters this Chris and I am the Winemaker for the Super Sonoman Wines. The wines listed are all off of the top of the west side of the Mayacamas or at high altitude sites along the ridges and on steep slopes. I have had contracts on the vineyards for the better part of a decade and work really hard to make big, balanced and expressive wine.[/quote

Welcome aboad
The 2008 Cab, are all the grapes from the knights valley? Website says aging for another decade. How is it drinking now?
Thanks



The 08' is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon and from a single vineyard. The clones are 15 and 337 on 110R. The vineyard sits at approximately 1500 feet on the west/south west facing slope of Knights Valley. If you are familiar with Peter Michael Wines and Morlet by Luke Morlet I share this vineyard with Luke. The wine is massive but very approachable. I did a 30% plus Saingnee on the wine and I delestage and use a sump to remove seeds. the wine has silky sweet tannins and a very big mouthfeel. It was oaked for two years in 100% new french oak, I used Daranajou, Taransaud, Gamba and Sylvain cooperages.

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
inkycatz wrote:Thanks for dropping in!



Thanks for having me.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

The cabs sound awesome and a great price for the style (100% new French oak, etc.). But I must resist.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
kylemittskus wrote:The cabs sound awesome and a great price for the style (100% new French oak, etc.). But I must resist.



I agree, with the awesomeness, I can't resist the 2 bottle/2008 Cab. In for at least one.

baristaboss58


quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
superwineguy wrote:The 08' is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon and from a single vineyard. The clones are 15 and 337 on 110R. The vineyard sits at approximately 1500 feet on the west/south west facing slope of Knights Valley. If you are familiar with Peter Michael Wines and Morlet by Luke Morlet I share this vineyard with Luke. The wine is massive but very approachable. I did a 30% plus Saingnee on the wine and I delestage and use a sump to remove seeds. the wine has silky sw $100/ 750ml bottle, 10% case discount off the retail price eet tannins and a very big mouthfeel. It was oaked for two years in 100% new french oak, I used Daranajou, Taransaud, Gamba and Sylvain cooperages.



Definitely in for the 2008 Cab. Thank you for your contributions. Looking forward to my future tasting.
Cheers

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

I don't have the detailed consensus notes, but we tasted the Cab at the NYC #20 Tasting last Saturday. It was certainly not the Cabernet style that I like: it was excessively hot (>15% alcohol) and such fruit as there was seemed overripe to me.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
rpm wrote:I don't have the detailed consensus notes, but we tasted the Cab at the NYC #20 Tasting last Saturday. It was certainly not the Cabernet style that I like: it was excessively hot (>15% alcohol) and such fruit as there was seemed overripe to me.



Admittedly the 08' Cab is not for everyone. It is big and there is alchohol. If you find yourself in the Sonoma area please let me know. I would love to taste you through my wines both in bottle and barrel. I do my best in the vineyard and winey to make balanced and seductive wine and I am certain we could find something that would interest you.

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
superwineguy wrote:Admittedly the 08' Cab is not for everyone. It is big and there is alchohol. If you find yourself in the Sonoma area please let me know. I would love to taste you through my wines both in bottle and barrel. I do my best in the vineyard and winey to make balanced and seductive wine and I am certain we could find something that would interest you.



I would enjoy meeting you and talking about Cabernet, a grape of which I have been excessively fond since the late 1950s. In general, my benchmark styles in Cabernet could best be thought of as the range between George Deuer's pre-1964 Inglenook Casks and André Tchelistcheff's Beaulieu DeLatour Cabernets through his retirement. My benchmark years are 1941 (which I only tasted as mature wines) followed by 1970 (which I have tasted throughout their lifecycles from barrel on). I have yet to taste a more recent year that I thought as good as either year.

I will be in the area from 20 - 28 July, leading the 2012 Woot Magical History Tours.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
rpm wrote:I would enjoy meeting you and talking about Cabernet, a grape of which I have been excessively fond since the late 1950s. In general, my benchmark styles in Cabernet could best be thought of as the range between George Deuer's pre-1964 Inglenook Casks and André Tchelistcheff's Beaulieu DeLatour Cabernets through his retirement. My benchmark years are 1941 (which I only tasted as mature wines) followed by 1970 (which I have tasted throughout their lifecycles from barrel on). I have yet to taste a more recent year that I thought as good as either year.

I will be in the area from 20 - 28 July, leading the 2012 Woot Magical History Tours.



This is good news on two fronts, the first is that I look forward to meeting you and sharing the wine I have crafted with you. I make wine in a state of the art facility within an industrial park. It will be great to show you around and taste through the wine.

The second is that I happen to have, in my stash of goodies, one bottle of 78' DeLaTour that is a sole survivor from a vertical. I believe Tchelistcheff consulted on that wine and I think we should pop the cork when we meet up! Maybe there are some other Wooters we can convince to taste with us?

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
superwineguy wrote:This is good news on two fronts, the first is that I look forward to meeting you and sharing the wine I have crafted with you. I make wine in a state of the art facility within an industrial park. It will be great to show you around and taste through the wine.

The second is that I happen to have, in my stash of goodies, one bottle of 78' DeLaTour that is a sole survivor from a vertical. I believe Tchelistcheff consulted on that wine and I think we should pop the cork when we meet up! Maybe there are some other Wooters we can convince to taste with us?



Sounds like fun. Yes, if I remember correctly, Andre did consult on that wine. Interestingly, While 1978 is generally considered the 2nd best year in the '70s (after 1970 - the 1974s which were so lauded faded early....), for Beaulieu, the 1979 LaTour was a better wine, more classically structured. I think I still have a few bottles, but they're getting old now. Another curiosity is that in 1977, a year marked by late rains that ruined most of the Cabernet, Inglenook (under Jon Richburg's short but memorable tenure) made a lovely Cabernet that held up for almost 20 years. (He also made a remarkable 1973 Cask there which showed promise of a real revival at Inglenook that didn't last - that wine tasted very much like a George Deuer wine and was lovely at 25, still charming at 30, but very much faded by 35.)

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote: Cabernet, a grape of which I have been excessively fond since the late 1950s.

Are you sure it's possible to be "excessively" fond of something so sublime?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
ddeuddeg wrote:Are you sure it's possible to be "excessively" fond of something so sublime?



I thought you'd catch the Flanders & Swan reference....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

megward


quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

It was definitely the Syrah at the Denver tasting.

Which I just ordered -- decided to go for three, it was that good.

I don't have my tasting notes to hand either, but will post a full review later tonight.

I will say in brief that the wine was amazing straight out of the bottle, but when I went back to it again about an hour and a half later it had really opened up -- the finish had that nice velvety mouthfeel and the fruit had really come out.

megward


quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

Okay, back at home with my notes (which being a newbie at the whole wine note taking thing are probably a little sparse).

Had good legs when swirled. Opening scent was strong of blackberries to me, but the initial taste on the tongue (right after opening, so no time to open up) was a hint of black pepper.

Initial impression of the taste was crisp/good acidity.

Very drinkable, thought it would stand up well to a steak, but it's quite quite nice on its own.

After an hour or so in the bottle (uncorked) I really started to get the fruit flavors (blackerry, raspberry, and I think a hint of plum) and it had less of the crispness, but more of the sort of soft velvety mouthfeel.

My final notes on it were "will buy, regardless of cost".

Just went ahead and poured a half glass of it (the joy of hosting is that you get the leftovers) and I'm finding the fruit is upfront right now, and that I can taste the bite of the alcohol a little more (although that may just be that it's hard to keep a good red in perfect condition in an opened bottle in a week of 100 degree temps). Still eminently drinkable and I say "buybuybuy!"

bolligra


quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
joelsisk wrote:We had a bottle at the Denver tasting last week. I think it was the syrah. I'll have to check my notes when I get home from work. It was definitely one of the best of the evening... and I recall our bottle indicating 100 cases produced.



I agree, this syrah was the best of the 15 or so wines (mostly Woot Cellars) we tried that evening. Everyone liked it right away. Now, looking at the price, I wished I had more than a smallish taste ;) (I was driving, so being careful). If you're inclined to spend $40 per bottle, you can't go wrong with this one. And only 100 cases!


As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

simplydumpling


quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling

I tasted the 2008 Syrah at the Denver Woot tasting this past weekend.

Upon opening, the wine was hot on the nose and very tight. I was wondering if there was a high alcohol content and 15% confirms this suspicion. As most syrahs I've encountered (which I could count on both hands), it's full bodied with a enticingly dark purple color. A berry taste was present though was dampened at first. Also, the oak was noticeably nice but was not overbearing. Even upon opening, I thought this wine was delicious. And compared to the other 10-15 wines we popped and poured, this was the best.

Letting the bottle sit for an hour or so helped tremendously! The fruit was much more prominent and the hotness was gone. Unfortunately, many of the woot cellars had been sampled by this point so my notes and detailed memory are lacking but I do remember thinking this was an amazing wine.

I don't drink Syrah much so I cannot compare this to another offer that has been on Woot; however, as a Cab enthusiast, this is a solid wine. I wish I had the money to buy this and the other offers by Super Sonoman.

If you have the money, space, and understanding (and forgiving) significant other, buy the max!!

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I recently got to meet the winemaker (Chris) and Taste across a significant portion of his available wines including all of those that are offered here on Woot.

Let me start off by saying that Chris is very passionate about what he does (as any winemaker should be) and goes to great lengths to ensure quality in all of his wines. He focuses on low vineyard yields, careful management during crush and fermentation, and high quality oak barrels.

The 4 wines up on woot are significantly different stylistically and there is bound to be one that is good for anyone's tastes.

2008 Syrah - This is a ripe, hedonistic syrah. It has a nose of black fruits and toasty oak which translates directly to the palate. The finish is reasonably long and belies the 100% french oak. The wine is undeniably a new world style. I enjoyed this one and would consider it more suited to sitting and talking than necessarily with a dinner.

2006 Cabernet - This wine begs for a juicy steak. I feel that the profile was significantly brighter and more acidic than the tasting notes on the product page seem to indicate: "The flavors of stone fruit, roasted Blackberry and coffee and chocolate are wrapped around a core of red fruit flavors." The acidity though makes this one a food wine. There is significant complexity here and the balance on the oak is grand.(still 100% but I would not have guessed that, it comes across more like 50%, a plus in my mind)This wine was probably my favorite of the bunch.

2007 Meritage - This wine plays the finesse card. It is very balanced and was the most complex wine of the lineup. Everything is integrated. That said, I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps it needed more time to open up, but I found myself wishing for a touch more concentration (not ripeness, just extraction) for my personal palate. On the other hand, I would compare this most closely with Kent Rasmussen's Cab Franc or Flora Spring's Trilogy in terms of style and I know that both of those are highly regarded but also do not fit my palate. I will re-iterate, this was damn good quality wine, it just didn't do it for my palate.

2008 Cabernet - This wine is the antithesis of the meritage. This wine is BIG and BOLD and DARK. There are piles of berries wrapped in oak that pour from the glass. This wine is smooth, sexy, and very much drink now. There is a wow factor in the concentration. Unfortunately, I feel that this wine is overblown and is all power and no complexity. I find it most comparable to a young Silver Oak in style.

All in all, SuperSonoman is doing some exciting things and I wish for Chris (and all of Napa/Sonoma) that 2012 is a year in the mold of '05 and '07 so he can work his magic on the best possible grapes.



2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cmaldoon wrote:
2006 Cabernet - This wine begs for a juicy steak. I feel that the profile was significantly brighter and more acidic than the tasting notes on the product page seem to indicate: "The flavors of stone fruit, roasted Blackberry and coffee and chocolate are wrapped around a core of red fruit flavors." The acidity though makes this one a food wine. There is significant complexity here and the balance on the oak is grand.(still 100% but I would not have guessed that, it comes across more like 50%, a plus in my mind)This wine was probably my favorite of the bunch.


Is it possible you tasted a different vintage? This doesn't sound anything like the bottle we had at the NYC tasting.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Is it possible you tasted a different vintage? This doesn't sound anything like the bottle we had at the NYC tasting.



Nope, that was the vintage. And it was my 2nd favorite after the '08 Syrah.

It was BIG.


The funny thing is that cmaldoon's order is the order I liked them. I liked the Meritage better than the '08 Cab.


And while some wines aren't hurt by shipping, I've had some that definitely need to sit before opening. So if you didn't have a chance to let that one sit for 1 or 2 weeks (preferable), travel shock may have affected it, but not ours.

As the drive SuperWineGuy had to get to the Wine.Woot office was probably short.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

superwineguy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superwineguy
MarkDaSpark wrote:Nope, that was the vintage. And it was my 2nd favorite after the '08 Syrah.

It was BIG.


The funny thing is that cmaldoon's order is the order I liked them. I liked the Meritage better than the '08 Cab.


And while some wines aren't hurt by shipping, I've had some that definitely need to sit before opening. So if you didn't have a chance to let that one sit for 1 or 2 weeks (preferable), travel shock may have affected it, but not ours.

As the drive SuperWineGuy had to get to the Wine.Woot office was probably short.



I had a fantastic time on Thursday night, for the record I have a twenty minute drive...through Sonoma Valley which is beautiful. Regarding the wine it is possible that the bottle mother had was burnt via transport, or shocked. I don't doubt that the wine was in question and all of you clearly know whats up and seem really dialed into each others pallets. I would love to revisit the tasting and the offer stands for anyone who is willing to come to the winery for a barrel tasting individually or collectively. On that note I am headed out now for a day of barrel work and I will be offline a while.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
mother wrote:Is it possible you tasted a different vintage? This doesn't sound anything like the bottle we had at the NYC tasting.



Are you sure you didn't have the 08 at the NYC event? The two were VERY different.

Mark- that's the order I liked them in too. Actually the 09 syrah was up there too but isnt on woot. The comparison between the 100% French oak on the 08 syrah and the 100% Hungarian oak on the 09 syrah was fun.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cmaldoon wrote:Are you sure you didn't have the 08 at the NYC event? The two were VERY different.

Mark- that's the order I liked them in too. Actually the 09 syrah was up there too but isnt on woot. The comparison between the 100% French oak on the 08 syrah and the 100% Hungarian oak on the 09 syrah was fun.



Sssshhhh!!! I didn't comment in case it comes up later. Which is what labrats are supposed to do!! Not spill the beans!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.